News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 15, 2019, 09:03:46 AM
Quote from: Alps on March 15, 2019, 07:41:54 AMGuess what I found? State named I-78 shields! They're on overhead guide signs on US 22 west at PA 33.
FYI, such was mentioned about two-and-a-half years ago in Reply #327 of the State-named interstate shields thread.  Every BGS that has an I-78 shield on it for that cloverleaf is a state-named I-shield.  I believe those BGS' date back to when I-78 and the PA 33 extension to such was built.

The PA 33 extension was built in the early 2000s (opening 2002), just over a decade later than the southerly I-78 bypass. You can tell because the original signage on I-78 was button copy (I think there are some surviving examples, but they're disappearing), but the PA 33 signage is modern retroreflective signage. Presumably all the signage at the US 22/PA 33 cloverleaf was replaced when the PA 33 extension was built, so these state-name shields are relatively new.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

So you're saying I just never noticed them... or more likely am getting senile.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on March 15, 2019, 03:28:09 PMor more likely am getting senile.
Welcome to the... club.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 15, 2019, 11:06:04 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on March 15, 2019, 09:03:46 AM
Quote from: Alps on March 15, 2019, 07:41:54 AMGuess what I found? State named I-78 shields! They're on overhead guide signs on US 22 west at PA 33.
FYI, such was mentioned about two-and-a-half years ago in Reply #327 of the State-named interstate shields thread.  Every BGS that has an I-78 shield on it for that cloverleaf is a state-named I-shield.  I believe those BGS' date back to when I-78 and the PA 33 extension to such was built.

The PA 33 extension was built in the early 2000s (opening 2002), just over a decade later than the southerly I-78 bypass. You can tell because the original signage on I-78 was button copy (I think there are some surviving examples, but they're disappearing), but the PA 33 signage is modern retroreflective signage. Presumably all the signage at the US 22/PA 33 cloverleaf was replaced when the PA 33 extension was built, so these state-name shields are relatively new.
The original signs on the Lehigh Valley Thruway were ground mount using 2 x6 wooden posts.  Only the PA 309 and Airport Road interchanges had modern freeway signs there only because both clover leafs were redone in the late 70's.  However, the signs that were there in 1990 were carbon copies as originally the signs used texts for the PA routes and in the 80's were made to typical shields.  Although, when PennDOT did truncate both PA 191 and PA 512, they did so before the later signs and again carbon copies showing no direction of north for either two even with the later shield signs.

Even the clover leaf at MacArthur in Fullerton was ground mounted and further west at Hamburg PA 61 had no overheads there and used substandard signs on the ground.  So yeah for sure those at PA 33 if they are modern for all ramps they had to be contracted into the PA 33 extension construction my best guess is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on March 18, 2019, 09:27:21 AMThe original signs on the Lehigh Valley Thruway were ground mount using 2 x6 wooden posts.  Only the PA 309 and Airport Road interchanges had modern freeway signs there only because both clover leafs were redone in the late 70's.  However, the signs that were there in 1990 were carbon copies as originally the signs used texts for the PA routes and in the 80's were made to typical shields.
Are you telling me that these BGS' are 1990s vintage? I don't think so.  IIRC, PennDOT stopped using green-porcelain sign boards after the late 70s (maybe very early 80s). 
This GSV is from July 2015 and the signs were replaced with the current ones roughly a year later.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Roadsguy

Quote from: jpi on March 28, 2019, 01:55:34 PM
From Pennlive.com, some recent pics of the US 322 construction near State Collage

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/03/watch-work-accelerates-on-final-phase-of-route-322-potters-mills-gap-project.html?fbclid=IwAR05W2s31qA6Kq1o0pQcrFWg98eIlCpG4v2QgUltqt-_HrP1AoUdB_pSojo

I looked at the sign plans and apparently PA 144 will be left with a dangling end at soon-to-be-old US 322. It won't be routed over to the new diamond; instead, signs will just say "To PA 144" and "To US 322." Of course, the entire design isn't exactly friendly to PA 144 access anyway.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CentralPAGal

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 02, 2019, 04:06:35 PM
There will be an open house on Thursday for improvements to the US 322 intersection with Chambers Hill Rd and Grayson Rd.  The recommended alternative sadly does not include an interchange.

And it's a pretty horrible plan, too, IMO. They are putting in six lanes for approximately a half mile or whatever, just to squeeze it back to four on either side again. Guessing maybe to help with cueing at the light? Still seems counterproductive though. Also, they could have closed off 82nd St at the intersection, and ED'd a few properties around the intersection as well (a few houses on 322 just east, and a business just west of the intersection on the eastbound side). /end rant
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

Roadsguy

Got a shot of the new traffic signal going in at the intersection of Cornwall Road and Isabel Drive south of Lebanon:

Looks like an FYA left turn signal for both directions of Cornwall Road. Isabel Drive is getting no turning lanes, so just normal signals.

webny99

In other news, PennDOT has now added mile markers and exit numbers to US 15 between Williamsport and the NY state line! MM 136 is near the I-180/US-220 junction and MM 197 (?) is at the state line. It has been a long time coming, but I guess with this there is hope for I-99 to actually be complete someday!  :)

jp the roadgeek

From what I figure, those mileposts are based on I-99 mileage if you followed I-80 and US-220 to fill the gap, so it makes one wonder if the I-99 designation from I-180 to the NY border will happen soon. The US 15 mileposts are 4 miles lower than the I-99 ones.  From the signs I made, only a couple of exits were off by 1 (I had 152 as 153 and 165 as 164).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MASTERNC

Quote from: webny99 on May 14, 2019, 12:55:34 PM
In other news, PennDOT has now added mile markers and exit numbers to US 15 between Williamsport and the NY state line! MM 136 is near the I-180/US-220 junction and MM 197 (?) is at the state line. It has been a long time coming, but I guess with this there is hope for I-99 to actually be complete someday!  :)

Think those were there last July when I drove through, but still good to see progress towards (hopeful) designation.

vdeane

Yeah, not quite brand new at this point.  And the corresponding segment of US 220 has had numbers far longer... I wonder if they were waiting for all the signs to naturally be replaced with ones that could accommodate a number so it would be as simple as patching them in, with no tabs added or gores replaced.  Some of the signs have been waiting for numbers for a decade.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tylert120

Question regarding directional signage, pictured here. Why not out all the destinations on one sign instead of 3 on the top sign and 2 on the bottom? Here you could make the argument that the arrows all face the same way on the respective signs, but that's not the case everywhere. I've noticed PennDot does this frequently, and I've always wondered why they don't just fit everything on one sign?

This is Freeport Rd at PA 910/PA 28 in Harmar Twp, Allegheny County. This sign was just installed, and replaced a fairly old sign. Interestingly enough, the old sign was one unit versus two, and had all the same destinations on it. This is the first Clearview sign I've seen installed since they switched back.

PAHighways

Quote from: tylert120 on May 15, 2019, 03:48:11 PM
Question regarding directional signage, pictured here. Why not out all the destinations on one sign instead of 3 on the top sign and 2 on the bottom? Here you could make the argument that the arrows all face the same way on the respective signs, but that's not the case everywhere. I've noticed PennDot does this frequently, and I've always wondered why they don't just fit everything on one sign?

They must be following the Handbook of Approved Signs to the "T," as 3 are the most lines on destination and distance signs.

Quote from: tylert120 on May 15, 2019, 03:48:11 PMThis is the first Clearview sign I've seen installed since they switched back.

The destination and distance signs were always to be manufactured with Clearview font, even when it faded from use on guide signage.

Roadsguy

Quote from: PAHighways on May 16, 2019, 11:33:54 PM

They must be following the Handbook of Approved Signs to the "T," as 3 are the most lines on destination and distance signs.

Quote from: tylert120 on May 15, 2019, 03:48:11 PMThis is the first Clearview sign I've seen installed since they switched back.

The destination and distance signs were always to be manufactured with Clearview font, even when it faded from use on guide signage.

There are a few mixed-case Highway Gothic destination/distance signs around at least Lebanon and Lancaster counties that were put up during the time PennDOT used Highway Gothic again, though some of the earlier ones had Clearview numbers... :ded:

LeftyJR

This is Freeport Rd at PA 910/PA 28 in Harmar Twp, Allegheny County. This sign was just installed, and replaced a fairly old sign. Interestingly enough, the old sign was one unit versus two, and had all the same destinations on it. This is the first Clearview sign I've seen installed since they switched back.

This was an old button copy sign.  I used to live about 5 miles from this spot.  Too bad its been replaced.

ixnay

tylert120

Quote from: PAHighways on May 16, 2019, 11:33:54 PM

Interesting. When PennDot ditched Clearview, all signage around here began using Highway Gotic again, including guide signage.

ixnay

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 16, 2019, 11:36:09 PM
There are a few mixed-case Highway Gothic destination/distance signs around at least Lebanon and Lancaster counties that were put up during the time PennDOT used Highway Gothic again, though some of the earlier ones had Clearview numbers... :ded:

Wonder what the font situation is in the rest of District 8 (Dauphin, York, Cumberland, Perry, Adams, and Franklin counties)?

ixnay

Roadsguy

Quote from: ixnay on May 18, 2019, 09:18:02 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on May 16, 2019, 11:36:09 PM

Wonder what the font situation is in the rest of District 8 (Dauphin, York, Cumberland, Perry, Adams, and Franklin counties)?

ixnay

Probably the same. I was just going off what I've seen just from everyday travels. I don't often go to the other counties in the district. I think the status of Clearview usage is a statewide thing.

ixnay

Chicagolanders call their Eisenhower Expressway "the Ike".  Does anybody around Harrisburg apply the same to the 83/283/322 mixing bowl?

ixnay

briantroutman

Quote from: ixnay on June 13, 2019, 06:10:30 PM
Chicagolanders call their Eisenhower Expressway "the Ike".  Does anybody around Harrisburg apply the same to the 83/283/322 mixing bowl?

ixnay

I lived in Harrisburg for a few years and never heard anyone refer to that interchange as "the Ike" . Very rarely, I'd hear people mention "the Eisenhower Interchange" . But much more frequently, people would just reference the route numbers–such as "I was at the exit for 283 when I saw..."

Beltway

Quote from: briantroutman on June 13, 2019, 06:22:21 PM
Quote from: ixnay on June 13, 2019, 06:10:30 PM
I lived in Harrisburg for a few years and never heard anyone refer to that interchange as "the Ike" . Very rarely, I'd hear people mention "the Eisenhower Interchange" . But much more frequently, people would just reference the route numbers–such as "I was at the exit for 283 when I saw..."

PennDOT literature in the 1970s commonly referred to it as the Eisenhower Interchange, and one of the annual state highway maps had a low altitude oblique aerial photo of it.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.