News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY-27 Atlantic Expressway

Started by fmendes, March 09, 2021, 09:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike2357

If I ever win the lottery, I will offer a few million dollars to  construct ALL of the unbuilt tri-state highways 3x over.
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

seicer

You'd need... many more millions than that. Lottery winnings would barely cover an environmental impact study.

Mike2357

Well the car emissions would be the same, but the traffic speed should be higher, same number of cars, but just another highway to diffuse it. I know they worried about CO poisoning if I 78 was routed under Broome st/Christie street in lower Manhattan, which is one of the reasons they dropped it, but I could see a massive elevated highway above brooklyn and the south shore being environmentally feasible.

Roadgeek Adam

With very very rare exceptions, there will never be a single mile of new road built in the NYC metro ever again. Period.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Mike2357

Well that is why NYC has far worse traffic than even LA. LA has a nice complete interlocking grid of interstates. NYC just has half-ass, truncated, parkways that just stop, instead of continuing through to other highways. Almost every highway goes around the perimeter, Brooklyn has NO highways serving anywhere inland in the borough. The prospect expressway and Jackie Robinson parkway are laughing stocks. Not ONE of the auxiliary 3 digit highways ending in 78 connect to 78, not one. Clearview just grinds to a halt in queens, nassau expressway, and staten island pfftt HA HA HA they have the most unbuilt roads out of any borough. The west side "highway" with a 30 mph speed limit and superlong lights. The best part is the "speed enforcement ahead slow down" signs during rush hour!

Roadgeek Adam

I'm sorry. It's over. There's no future for freeways in the metro. Public transit is better anyway, unless you're a certain member of this site who has issues with it.

The future isn't in freeways in the NYC metro. At this point money is going to upgrading and rebuilding where necessarily.
Adam Seth Moss

Mike2357

Nah, all MTA money should go toward improving the roads. Interstate Highways have been and always will be the gems of New York City.

Roadgeek Adam

lol no. You are sadly mistaken on the route this country is going, let alone in the NYC metro.
Adam Seth Moss

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 10:24:02 PM
Nah, all MTA money should go toward improving the roads. Interstate Highways have been and always will be the gems of New York City.
No the MTA money should strictly be with MTA-related projects. The money for better highways should go to state and county highway departments.

seicer

Oh yeah, I can see interstate highways somehow replacing subways and the elevated lines through Manhattan and Brooklyn. Somehow replacing the capacity of both of those modes of transit with single-use cars would totally be efficient and not a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Rothman

Quote from: seicer on August 14, 2021, 09:30:51 AM

Oh yeah, I can see interstate highways somehow replacing subways and the elevated lines through Manhattan and Brooklyn. Somehow replacing the capacity of both of those modes of transit with single-use cars would totally be efficient and not a waste of taxpayer dollars.
Favorite post of the thread so far.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

That's not what I was suggesting. Forcing toll rates on bridges to all go to mass transit puts our roads at risk and was a bad idea. Doing the exact opposite as Mike2357 suggested was equally bad. 

seicer

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 14, 2021, 09:56:19 AM

That's not what I was suggesting. Forcing toll rates on bridges to all go to mass transit puts our roads at risk and was a bad idea. Doing the exact opposite as Mike2357 suggested was equally bad. 

Except that is not how MTA's budget is even structured: https://new.mta.info/budget/MTA-operating-budget-basics

Rothman

MTA's budget makes State DOTs' budgets look like old checkbook ledgers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mike2357

Subway trains can't go 120-150 mph like most cars can though. Every other avenue, and every 10th cross street in Manhattan should be converted into expressway.

odditude

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 14, 2021, 12:05:13 PM
Subway trains can't go 120-150 mph like most cars can though.

Cars can't go anywhere near that fast in NYC (nor above 65mph elsewhere in NY), so that argument is absolutely meaningless. Also, where would all of the extra cars park?

Mike2357

Quote from: odditude on August 14, 2021, 02:04:20 PM
Subway trains can't go 120-150 mph like most cars can though.

Cars can't go anywhere near that fast in NYC (nor above 65mph elsewhere in NY), so that argument is absolutely meaningless. Also, where would all of the extra cars park?

But Subway trains never exceed 40 mph, and yes during thr pandemic you were able to go 100-120 mph on even the most normally congested roads.

Roadgeek2500

Subway trains can't go 120-150 mph like most cars can though. Every other avenue, and every 10th cross street in Manhattan should be converted into expressway.

I've been awoken by my 2 year lurking slumber by this gem right here. Bravo...
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

Mike2357

As for parking, every house should have a driveway, and every 3rd cubic block should have at least 1 parking garage on a corner.

TheDon102

gotta be a troll

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 14, 2021, 03:17:08 PM
As for parking, every house should have a driveway, and every 3rd cubic block should have at least 1 parking garage on a corner.

And where exactly do you plan to find the space for driveways & parking garages everywhere?  :-D

Quote from: TheDon102 on August 14, 2021, 07:08:25 PM
gotta be a troll

Reads to me like dzlsabe but with Long Island instead of Chicago  :pan:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Mike2357

I ain't trolling. An underground spiral shaped parking lot and NYC should evolve into the car capital of the world. Driving is also better for people's mental health than just being bored out of your mind sitting a gross subway.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 14, 2021, 07:17:58 PM
Quote from: TheDon102 on August 14, 2021, 07:08:25 PM
gotta be a troll

Reads to me like dzlsabe but with Long Island instead of Chicago  :pan:

dzlsabe focused on one specific thing. This (especially the post after yours) reads more like kernals12. (HighwayStar pushes back against criticism much more than Mike2357 does.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 14, 2021, 07:32:49 PM
An underground spiral shaped parking lot

Good luck designing them around all the subway lines (not to mention Penn Station & Grand Central).

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 14, 2021, 07:32:49 PM
gross subway.

Ok I take it back: you're not a dzlsabe sockpuppet, you're a kernals12 sockpuppet  :ded: (You beat me to it, 1!)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Mike2357

The subway line would be modified to wrap around the spiral parking lot in the opposite direction, both horizontally and vertically, similar to the double helix structure of DNA. Regardless, cars and roads should always take priority over public transportation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.