News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Huey P. Long Bridge

Started by UptownRoadGeek, November 08, 2009, 02:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UptownRoadGeek

UptownRoadGeek

A couple of YouTube videos I ran across of Huey P.

codyg1985

Quote from: Annunciation70130 on February 23, 2010, 07:19:03 PM

I wonder if someone used some varient of Building Information Modeling (BIM) to model the first video.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Stephane Dumas

It can be tempted to upgrade the southern approach to freeway standards down to the future I-49 corridor/BUS US-90.

Scott5114

This sort of baffles me. Wouldn't be cheaper to just replace the bridge? If not, I'd think that changing that much of the original bridge is liable to cause problems down the road.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

UptownRoadGeek

There is no way that a replacement could be built without demolishing the original bridge first, because it would have to be built in the exact same spot.  Demolishing the bridge would mean halting all rail traffic across the Mississippi River indefinitely.  Although the renderings show nothing but trees and open land, realistically it is the exact opposite.

UptownRoadGeek

Some shots of the new frame going up on Huey P.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 26, 2010, 06:13:48 PM

It can be tempted to upgrade the southern approach to freeway standards down to the future I-49 corridor/BUS US-90.

Actually, the original plan for the Future I-49 South/Westbank Expresswway/US 90 approach was to do almost that, by totally revamping the WB/US 90 interchange to a fully directional with continuous frontage roads connecting US 90 west and the WB (and the elevated freeway continuing E to the current end of the elevated WB near Ames Drive); creating a new approach for US 90 east over the UP railroad, and building an interchange that would replace the intersection between US 90 and LA 18 West (the main road to the Avondale Shipyards.  From that point until the proposed LA 18 East/LA 18 Busisness interchange planned as part of the HPL Bridge Replacement, though, 90 would still be at-grade with little control of access.

I would think that down the road, if I-49 South is actually built, they would consider making the whole segment of US 90 from there to at least Jefferson Highway at least full control of access, and even perhaps Interstate-grade freeway.  Heck, why not go for broke and upgrade Clearview Parkway all the way up to I-10, too, and make it an I-x49??

I know...pipe dream that needs to be moved to the Fictional Freeways forum.  But, still a nice idea.

Anthony

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Annunciation70130 on April 01, 2010, 10:48:58 PM
Some shots of the new frame going up on Huey P.

WOW...doesn't look like enough room for three lanes plus a regulation shoulder...but perhaps my vision is getting bad.  :-)

Anthony

froggie

Can't imagine the current single-laning is doing wonders for traffic.  Or do they open both lanes during peak hours?

codyg1985

I went down to the HPL bridge yesterday afternoon, and it appears that both lanes are open during peak hours. On the Bridge City side of the bridge at the intersection with LA 18, police has to direct and halt traffic in order to let motorists come out of the shipyards.I was there just when everyone was headed out of the shipyards. Needless to say, it was a big mess.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

UptownRoadGeek

Both lanes are usually open all day and the Causeway Police and CCC Police direct traffic at US-90/LA-18 during  rush hour .

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 02, 2010, 01:25:55 PM
WOW...doesn't look like enough room for three lanes plus a regulation shoulder...but perhaps my vision is getting bad.  :-)

Anthony

The space on the outside is actually wider than the space with the current lanes. It just looks that way in the picture.

golden eagle

I'm glad the HPL is being widened. I swear that's one of the scariest bridge I've ever driven on.

US71

Quote from: Annunciation70130 on April 09, 2010, 02:24:38 AM

The space on the outside is actually wider than the space with the current lanes. It just looks that way in the picture.

So it's bigger on the outside than on the inside?  :-D
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

UptownRoadGeek

eXfaktor

Gotta say, in comparison to other cantilever bridges in LA, this thing looks MASSIVE... it's like a monster of a bridge.
The pier widening supports look like they could use some asthetic treatment as well

UptownRoadGeek

brownpelican

And to think they have another big lift coming up soon.

brownpelican

The dreaded Eastbank construction phase will begin next week, as the Jefferson Highway overpass over Clearview Pkwy will be demolished to make room for the new approaches and ramps from the reconstructed Huey Long bridge.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2011/01/jefferson_highway_overpass_abo.html

roadman65

Quote from: brownpelican on January 03, 2011, 08:07:10 PM
The dreaded Eastbank construction phase will begin next week, as the Jefferson Highway overpass over Clearview Pkwy will be demolished to make room for the new approaches and ramps from the reconstructed Huey Long bridge.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2011/01/jefferson_highway_overpass_abo.html

I saw that when I went through there last week!  A little inconvenience for those traveling along Jefferson Highway, but when finished it should make up for it with the Clearview Parkway taken out of the circle and its traffic out of it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

apjung

I just had to drive on the new slightly wider pavement yesterday evening after work. It is slightly not as scary as the lanes are now 10 feet wide (instead of 9 feet). The morning commute to the East Bank should be a little smoother as the northbound Clearview Pkwy flyover ramp over Jefferson Hwy is also open.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.