News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadwarriors79

It looks like Google Maps has finally recognized the resigning of I-295 over old I-95 in PA and NJ. Other apps (Waze, Apple, Mapquest) show the resigned I-295 in NJ, but PA section as I-95.

bzakharin

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 05, 2018, 07:05:58 AM
Quote from: storm2k on August 05, 2018, 04:03:34 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on August 04, 2018, 11:09:45 PM
Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 04, 2018, 08:57:36 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 04, 2018, 07:51:12 PM
Quote from: theroadwayone on August 04, 2018, 05:56:40 PM
For those of you interested, this past Monday marked five years to the day ground broke on the interchange. Now that it's August, we can look forward to I-95 being a complete highway from Florida to Maine within the month.

That's just insane...5 years...2 ramps. Incredible.

I wonder if the PTC would have worked faster if I-95 would have had more toll mileage in PA than the couple miles on the east end.

How much is the PTC getting out of those miles? It's a one-way toll westbound only. Are they sharing that revenue with the NJTA or does the latter use their own toll system for their side of the bridge?

For drivers coming off the mainline NJ Turnpike, they pay whatever toll they owe at the main Exit 6 toll plaza, which is a bit west of the 130 interchange (Exit 6A in Turnpike parlance). For drivers headed to the bridge from 130, or those coming into NJ over the bridge and exiting at 130, there is a flat rate $3 toll.

There is no toll for eastbound motorists coming into NJ over the bridge and exiting at US 130.
I know all about what tolls are paid in what situations. I was just wondering if NJTA is getting a cut of the new toll on the PA side, since it's basically a bridge toll now with free exits on either side of the bridge (except the westbound US 130 entrance toll).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on August 05, 2018, 10:38:16 AM
For those of you interested, this past Monday marked five years to the day ground broke on the interchange. Now that it's August, we can look forward to I-95 being a complete highway from Florida to Maine within the month.

I wonder if the PTC would have worked faster if I-95 would have had more toll mileage in PA than the couple miles on the east end.

How much is the PTC getting out of those miles? It's a one-way toll westbound only. Are they sharing that revenue with the NJTA or does the latter use their own toll system for their side of the bridge?

For drivers coming off the mainline NJ Turnpike, they pay whatever toll they owe at the main Exit 6 toll plaza, which is a bit west of the 130 interchange (Exit 6A in Turnpike parlance). For drivers headed to the bridge from 130, or those coming into NJ over the bridge and exiting at 130, there is a flat rate $3 toll.

There is no toll for eastbound motorists coming into NJ over the bridge and exiting at US 130.
I know all about what tolls are paid in what situations. I was just wondering if NJTA is getting a cut of the new toll on the PA side, since it's basically a bridge toll now with free exits on either side of the bridge (except the westbound US 130 entrance toll).

No...that is completely a PA Turnpike toll. NJ has no involvement with it whatsoever.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 05, 2018, 08:57:06 AM
It looks like Google Maps has finally recognized the resigning of I-295 over old I-95 in PA and NJ. Other apps (Waze, Apple, Mapquest) show the resigned I-295 in NJ, but PA section as I-95.

Interestingly they also dropped I-276 from the NJ Turnpike Extension, and dropped I-95 from the mainline NJTP between Exits 6 and 7A. Those numbers were on the map for years.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

SteveG1988

Each turnpike handles their half of the bridge, NJ paves up to the state line, PA paves up to the state line. NJ turnpike collects a toll for all westbound crossings, they've had a free eastbound crossing for years.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

storm2k

Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 05, 2018, 04:58:19 PM

Each turnpike handles their half of the bridge, NJ paves up to the state line, PA paves up to the state line. NJ turnpike collects a toll for all westbound crossings, they've had a free eastbound crossing for years.

Technically speaking, there is no free crossing into NJ on the PA Turnpike bridge. If you stay on the PATP Extension to the main line, you get a ticket and pay your usual distance based toll. If you get off at 130, you pay a flat $3 toll at the exit. There's no place to exit without paying a toll unless you get off the Turnpike in PA and shunpike a bit to cross a different bridge. They just don't have a toll they explicitly call a bridge toll.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: storm2k on August 07, 2018, 02:34:54 AM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 05, 2018, 04:58:19 PM
Technically speaking, there is no free crossing into NJ on the PA Turnpike bridge. If you stay on the PATP Extension to the main line, you get a ticket and pay your usual distance based toll. If you get off at 130, you pay a flat $3 toll at the exit. There's no place to exit without paying a toll unless you get off the Turnpike in PA and shunpike a bit to cross a different bridge. They just don't have a toll they explicitly call a bridge toll.

There's still no toll to be paid when traveling eastbound and exiting at US 130.

jeffandnicole

Technically speaking, there is no free crossing into NJ on the PA Turnpike bridge. If you stay on the PATP Extension to the main line, you get a ticket and pay your usual distance based toll. If you get off at 130, you pay a flat $3 toll at the exit. There's no place to exit without paying a toll unless you get off the Turnpike in PA and shunpike a bit to cross a different bridge.

Again, there's no toll Eastbound if you exit at Rt. 130. 

Here's the aerial view: https://goo.gl/maps/GHEDyuZTaj32 .  You can see the toll plaza for 130 onto the NJ Turnpike Extension WB.  You can also see there's NO toll plaza for traffic from the NJ Turnpike Extension EB to 130.  Just to the right is the mainline toll plaza.

Steve D

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 07, 2018, 08:35:17 AM
Technically speaking, there is no free crossing into NJ on the PA Turnpike bridge. If you stay on the PATP Extension to the main line, you get a ticket and pay your usual distance based toll. If you get off at 130, you pay a flat $3 toll at the exit. There's no place to exit without paying a toll unless you get off the Turnpike in PA and shunpike a bit to cross a different bridge.

Again, there's no toll Eastbound if you exit at Rt. 130. 

Here's the aerial view: https://goo.gl/maps/GHEDyuZTaj32 .  You can see the toll plaza for 130 onto the NJ Turnpike Extension WB.  You can also see there's NO toll plaza for traffic from the NJ Turnpike Extension EB to 130.  Just to the right is the mainline toll plaza.

The exit 6 toll on the NJTP mainline  factors in a surcharge for the bridge (both coming and going), but it is not as high as the $3 flat toll when just entering at exit 6A and going west on the bridge.  It seems to be about $1 higher compared to other exits with similar mileage.  You can play around on the NJTP website with the toll calculator to compare these numbers...

AMLNet49

Will 295 and 276 be signed as numbered Exits from I-95 either direction? I'm assuming both terminating interstates won't have Exit numbers, especially 276 because the turnpike continues

akotchi

I believe both will be Exit 40 -- I-295 from NB, I-276 from SB.  I would not expect either terminating Interstate to have an exit number for now, because there will be no exits until the rest of the ramps in the interchange are done.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jemacedo9

On I-95 North, I-295 will be signed as a LEFT Exit 40 (a sign is already up and covered).
I believe the same thing is occurring on (new) I-95 South for I-276 West.

The PA 413 Exit on I-95 is being renumbered to be Exit 39.
_____

One add'l note...on the PennDOT Bucks County Type 10 map, I-295 is already labeled as such, and I-95 on the PA Turnpike is labeled as toll-free in blue.

theroadwayone

And when the other movements in the interchange open, I guess it'll be something like 40A for I-295, and 40B for I-276. That's likely going to either be hidden, or put up as the time comes. While I'm at it, I shared a GSV picture of the Turnpike entrance from US 13; they had some things hidden for I-276 WB, but not going EB.

vdeane

Assuming the other movements are ever built.  There's some speculation that they never will be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

briantroutman

^ Assuming you come to the upcoming Golden Spike meet, that would be a perfect item for you to ask about during the Q&A session. I doubt we'll get a straight or complete answer, but hopefully we can get someone to break through the bureaucratic veil and give his/her gut feeling.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Steve D on August 07, 2018, 08:58:32 AM
The exit 6 toll on the NJTP mainline  factors in a surcharge for the bridge (both coming and going), but it is not as high as the $3 flat toll when just entering at exit 6A and going west on the bridge.  It seems to be about $1 higher compared to other exits with similar mileage.  You can play around on the NJTP website with the toll calculator to compare these numbers...

Yes, I was looking at that too (specifically comparing Exit 5), but since the toll at the 130 entrance is WB only for regular commuters who come both to and from this exit, it's still less overall.

Better yet, if you don't mind a few bridge openings, traffic lights or near head-on collisions, you can save a few bucks on our two local BudgetBridge (tm) franchises, a little to the south.

odditude

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 07, 2018, 10:11:59 PM
Better yet, if you don't mind a few bridge openings, traffic lights or near head-on collisions, you can save a few bucks on our two local BudgetBridge (tm) franchises, a little to the south.

the Burlington-Bristol Bridge would like to stand and object to that statement, but it can't seem to get out of its wheelchair.

ekt8750

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 07, 2018, 10:11:59 PM

The Burlington-Bristol wishes it was a budget bridge. We're talking more Goodwill bridge at this point.

Roadsguy

Seems PennDOT updated their SR designations when they released the 2018 Type 10 Map. (Does anyone know when exactly that was?)

I-295 has been updated to SR 0295, which begins just north of the Ford Road bridge below the Turnpike.

PA 295 in York County is still signed as PA 295, but interestingly is now SR 0297 internally.

The Turnpike east of I-95 is still SR 7276. I wonder if they'll actually update that to SR 0095 or just leave it alone. It wouldn't be the first time they cut corners with the Turnpike's SR designation; the I-70 concurrency is still SR 7076 despite I-70 being a smaller number.

On the Type 10 map, in addition to them already showing I-95 on the Turnpike as stated earlier, they also have a very crude representation of the completed ramps as well, shown as Interstate mainline. The toll-free blue mapping of the Turnpike also goes as far west as the Nehaminy toll plaza.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 09, 2018, 10:35:19 PM
the I-70 concurrency is still SR 7076 despite I-70 being a smaller number.

I'm guessing that's because I-76's the main route number, and all exit numbers are for it, not I-70.

ixnay

Seems PennDOT updated their SR designations when they released the 2018 Type 10 Map.

"Type 10 Map"?  I wonder what Types 1 through 9 look like. :)

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ipeters61

PA 295 in York County is still signed as PA 295, but interestingly is now SR 0297 internally.
I guess interstates get precedence?  That's what happened with PA-380, likewise with PA-283 (actually, off topic, but what was I-81E considered internally?).

The Turnpike east of I-95 is still SR 7276. I wonder if they'll actually update that to SR 0095 or just leave it alone. It wouldn't be the first time they cut corners with the Turnpike's SR designation; the I-70 concurrency is still SR 7076 despite I-70 being a smaller number.
Or maybe they'll change it to SR 7095?  :confused:
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Quote from: ipeters61 on August 10, 2018, 08:10:09 AM
Or maybe they'll change it to SR 7095?  :confused:

Whoops, that's what I meant. It'd be 7095 not 0095 because the PTC will still own it.

Roadsguy

Quote from: ipeters61 on August 10, 2018, 08:10:09 AM
I guess interstates get precedence?  That's what happened with PA-380, likewise with PA-283 (actually, off topic, but what was I-81E considered internally?).

Interstates do get precedence. That's the one common theme, though the way they re-internally-designate the preexisting state routes seems to get sillier over time.

I-81E's decommissioning predates the introduction of the Location Referencing System in 1987, which is what gives every state road a four-digit SR designation. Back then, the original legislative route numbers were still in use, which often had no rhyme or reason to them. All of Pennsylvania's suffixed routes were eliminated by 1987, so it's unknown how exactly they'd handle them today, though the one exception is US 6N in Erie County, which is internally designated SR 3006.

MantyMadTown

Did they finish the Pennsylvania Turnpike interchange? I'm pretty late to the conversation but last I heard they were still constructing it.
Forget the I-41 haters

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.