News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 11, 2019, 02:45:02 PM
Google finally has Street View on the flyovers from last October, just after opening. I notice they also now rightly show the flyovers as freeway mainline on the map.

The street views around the I-95/NJTP interchange (Exit 6) in NJ have also been updated.

bzakharin

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 11, 2019, 02:45:02 PM
Google finally has Street View on the flyovers from last October, just after opening. I notice they also now rightly show the flyovers as freeway mainline on the map.
And in typical Google 2018 fashion, the approach to the ramp is incorrectly showing the Southbound lanes. And this will never be fixed, it seems.

theroadwayone

Not only that, but they haven't updated the street view on the US 13 connection; that, and US 130 in NJ, along with the satellite images haven't changed.

roadman65

I see NJDOT copied PennDOT along I-295 and uses Princeton as control city for EB/SB I-295.
https://goo.gl/maps/XAMk6VifScy
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on April 12, 2019, 11:55:11 PM
I see NJDOT copied PennDOT along I-295 and uses Princeton as control city for EB/SB I-295.
https://goo.gl/maps/XAMk6VifScy
I would say it's more like the reverse since I-295 North has been signed for Princeton at the 195/29 interchange for over 20 years.

roadman65

But PennDOT changed Trenton for Princeton when I-295 got the number for replacing I-95.  Yes, at the junction of 29 and 195 it was for years, but the other roads like Route 33, Arena Drive, and Olden Avenue etc. do it typical with no destinations I believe.

I know Route 206 now has no more Pennsylvania, Camden, and New York at the new I-295 since the road was renumbered.  When I lived there very rarely did you see control cities at freeway ramps, although in the 90's they did add some to some ramps, but my views on GSV seem to pull up tons of freeways with no control cities still.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2019, 10:27:06 PM
But PennDOT changed Trenton for Princeton when I-295 got the number for replacing I-95.  Yes, at the junction of 29 and 195 it was for years, but the other roads like Route 33, Arena Drive, and Olden Avenue etc. do it typical with no destinations I believe.

I know Route 206 now has no more Pennsylvania, Camden, and New York at the new I-295 since the road was renumbered.  When I lived there very rarely did you see control cities at freeway ramps, although in the 90's they did add some to some ramps, but my views on GSV seem to pull up tons of freeways with no control cities still.

Yes, PennDOT did change that, which even then made far more sense than the way it actually used to be.  And yes, most had/have no control cities at 295 in NJ.  I do remember 579 said "To US 1" for the ramps to I-95 north, but not sure if they still say that now that its 295.

Roadsguy

Quote from: famartin on April 14, 2019, 11:40:38 PM

Yes, PennDOT did change that, which even then made far more sense than the way it actually used to be.  And yes, most had/have no control cities at 295 in NJ.  I do remember 579 said "To US 1" for the ramps to I-95 north, but not sure if they still say that now that its 295.

I wonder if I-95 being signed for Trenton all the way to NJ 29 was a holdover from before the US 1 expressway was completed between Oxford Valley Road and US 13. With that missing link, I-95 and NJ 29 could have been quicker to get to Trenton.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

famartin

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 15, 2019, 12:02:41 AM

I wonder if I-95 being signed for Trenton all the way to NJ 29 was a holdover from before the US 1 expressway was completed between Oxford Valley Road and US 13. With that missing link, I-95 and NJ 29 could have been quicker to get to Trenton.
Hadn't thought of that. Certainly possible. I had assumed it was due to the next official control city options being Trenton and NYC, with the latter making even less sense than Trenton (not that it stopped NJDOT from trying it out), but your theory is also very possible.

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on April 15, 2019, 12:48:12 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on April 15, 2019, 12:02:41 AM

Hadn't thought of that. Certainly possible. I had assumed it was due to the next official control city options being Trenton and NYC, with the latter making even less sense than Trenton (not that it stopped NJDOT from trying it out), but your theory is also very possible.
That's the likely reasoning behind that rationale.  It's also worth noting, and such may have mentioned many posts back, that PennDOT's been signing the northbound Delaware Expressway with Princeton as a control city on ramp signage from the US 1 interchange northward for roughly a decade... maybe longer

June 2011 GSV of US 1 southbound approaching the then-I-95 interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Drove the mainline NJ Turnpike NB from Exit 1 to 11, and SB from Exit 7A to 2, yesterday.  Only difference I noticed that hasn't already been mentioned is that the "To I-95" signs south of Exit 6 seem to have been removed.  These were located on the median barrier in the past, but I didn't see a single one (and I did look for them, but its possible I missed one).

Also stopped to grab a close up of this assembly, which I think remains unique:

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 15, 2019, 09:13:52 AM
That's the likely reasoning behind that rationale.  It's also worth noting, and such may have mentioned many posts back, that PennDOT's been signing the northbound Delaware Expressway with Princeton as a control city on ramp signage from the US 1 interchange northward for roughly a decade... maybe longer

[/quote]

I guess it's time to save that GSV now then it's a historic photo. ;)

Mergingtraffic

Now we can say: Hey look at these classic photos from before the interchange opened!

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Roadsguy

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on May 16, 2019, 06:06:36 PM
Now we can say: Hey look at these classic photos from before the interchange opened!

Funny enough, these partially-covered signs put up with the widening could be interpreted as I-276 finally being signed on the Pennsylvania Spur, albeit unofficially and only in one direction (though it's short enough for that not to really matter). I'm surprised they didn't leave the "To" uncovered from the start, just covering the I-95 shields.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on May 16, 2019, 08:15:09 AM
Drove the mainline NJ Turnpike NB from Exit 1 to 11, and SB from Exit 7A to 2, yesterday.  Only difference I noticed that hasn't already been mentioned is that the "To I-95" signs south of Exit 6 seem to have been removed.  These were located on the median barrier in the past, but I didn't see a single one (and I did look for them, but its possible I missed one).

Also stopped to grab a close up of this assembly, which I think remains unique:

Several posts back, I mentioned that there is a similar sign assembly in the southbound direction at roughly MM 65.

During my recent Easter trip to/from New England; I saw no other additional I-95 signage along the NJ Turnpike.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Ah, that would be north of 7A so that would be why I missed it. Truck lanes I assume? I'll have to try to find it next time I'm up that way.

KEVIN_224

Yes, that's by the truck lanes. They start at exit 6 in Mansfield (the I-95/NJT junction).

famartin

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 17, 2019, 09:48:32 PM
Yes, that's by the truck lanes. They start at exit 6 in Mansfield (the I-95/NJT junction).
I'm just not even sure how to respond to this comment 🤣

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on May 17, 2019, 10:29:55 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 17, 2019, 09:48:32 PM
I'm just not even sure how to respond to this comment 🤣

Not only that, they start below Interchange 6!

roadman65

Hey taking pictures on the Turnpike is strictly forbidden. :biggrin:

Don't worry I won tell. :bigass:

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 16, 2019, 04:07:14 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 15, 2019, 09:13:52 AM

I guess it's time to save that GSV now then it's a historic photo. ;)
[/quote]

The signs with Trenton north of Oxford Valley on 95 were added after the final link of US 1 was opened.  US 1 opened there in 1987 while signs there on 95 were added from 1990 to 1991. Previously Yardley was used from US 1 Business and all ramps north of it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

A lot of people have wondered about the lack of the NJ Turnpike signing 95 on the new signs. 

I haven't looked at the NJTA Meeting minutes for a while, and finally got a chance to do so.  Back in February, apparently there's a contract that was approved that will finish this work, along with other various improvements.  As shown in the https://www.njta.com/media/4335/minutes_bm_2-26-2019.pdf meeting minutes on PDF Page 16:

QuoteThis contract will provide for the installation of sign panels as part of the final step in redesignating Interstate 95 through New Jersey including new signs at key locations on the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. This contract will also construct a new Z-turn at Turnpike Milepost 58.4 to improve emergency vehicle response at Turnpike Maintenance District No. 3, and the relocation of an existing Z-turn at Turnpike Milepost 120.6 to facilitate improved access between the SN95L and SN95X roadways. This contract will also install guide rail at select locations along the Turnpike. All work is expected to be completed by August 2019.

02 Park Ave

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 21, 2019, 01:38:46 PM
A lot of people have wondered about the lack of the NJ Turnpike signing 95 on the new signs. 

I haven't looked at the NJTA Meeting minutes for a while, and finally got a chance to do so.  Back in February, apparently there's a contract that was approved that will finish this work, along with other various improvements.  As shown in the https://www.njta.com/media/4335/minutes_bm_2-26-2019.pdf meeting minutes on PDF Page 16:

QuoteThis contract will provide for the installation of sign panels as part of the final step in redesignating Interstate 95 through New Jersey including new signs at key locations on the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. This contract will also construct a new Z-turn at Turnpike Milepost 58.4 to improve emergency vehicle response at Turnpike Maintenance District No. 3, and the relocation of an existing Z-turn at Turnpike Milepost 120.6 to facilitate improved access between the SN95L and SN95X roadways. This contract will also install guide rail at select locations along the Turnpike. All work is expected to be completed by August 2019.

Will redesignating the Exits with I-95 mileage based numbers be the next part of final step in the process?
C-o-H

PHLBOS

Bold emphasis added to the below-quote:

At face value, the wording gives the impression that the panels themselves will be replaced as opposed to retrofitting the existing panels with the I-95 shields (which were spaced for such in mind); which is all that's really needed for the majority of existing signs.

I guess the wording's a catch-all since the ramp signs from the Exit 7 toll plaza weren't spaced for additional I-95 shields.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

Nice! Something to check back on later this summer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.