News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rhode Island News

Started by southshore720, April 21, 2015, 05:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: southshore720 on February 25, 2019, 09:34:45 PM
The Henderson Bridge on the Providence/East Providence line just got the green light for demo and reconstruction.  It will shrink from 6 to 2 lanes, officially killing the dream of the past that a highway would run through there!
https://www.wpri.com/weather/pinpoint-traffic/-545-million-invested-for-ri-bridge-repairs-improvements/1808575989
It may have been built as a 6-laner; but only 4 lanes have been open for quite some time.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

It means this will be gone soon:

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

Nice sky color in that first sign, mergingtraffic!

jon daly

Quote from: shadyjay on February 26, 2019, 09:31:08 PM

Indeed.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on February 26, 2019, 09:31:08 PM

Thanks Shadyjay and Jon! Sometimes I wonder if people actually like the pics I take. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

yakra

The scattershot button copy reflections are a nice effect too.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

shadyjay

On a visit to Vermont over the past few days, I returned to CT via New Hampshire, eastern Mass, and RI.  Just moments before the MA/RI state line on I-295 South, this sign popped out at me:

295SB-old by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Every sign replacement project always seems to have that one sign that got away... that missed the cut... that was either at one extreme end or the other of a replacement contract that it just got overlooked.  Well this seems to be the perfect example of this.  It looks very much like a Rhode Island sign, but its in Massachusetts, a mile or so before the border.  And my thought is that it got missed out by not just one, but two sign replacement projects.  A similar thing has occured with RI Exit 30, being practically on the Mass. border.  More uniqueness... the Mile/Km distances to two control cities that don't even appear on any exit signs down the line.

Any thoughts on this rogue unit?

Also got shots of the APL for Exit 9, which is temporarily patched:

295SB-Exit09-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on March 14, 2019, 04:22:15 PM
On a visit to Vermont over the past few days, I returned to CT via New Hampshire, eastern Mass, and RI.  Just moments before the MA/RI state line on I-295 South, this sign popped out at me:

295SB-old by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Every sign replacement project always seems to have that one sign that got away... that missed the cut... that was either at one extreme end or the other of a replacement contract that it just got overlooked.  Well this seems to be the perfect example of this.  It looks very much like a Rhode Island sign, but its in Massachusetts, a mile or so before the border.  And my thought is that it got missed out by not just one, but two sign replacement projects.  A similar thing has occured with RI Exit 30, being practically on the Mass. border.  More uniqueness... the Mile/Km distances to two control cities that don't even appear on any exit signs down the line.

Any thoughts on this rogue unit?
Typically, the limit of work for sign replacement projects only goes as far as the state line.  Any signs beyond the border are not included and are the responsibility of the adjacent state DOT agency (MassDOT in this case).  Unless RIDOT notified MassDOT during the design phase of the project that one or two of their signs referencing RI interchanges needing to be replaced/updated; such are usually left alone.

The above-example BTW is 1 mile from the border.

The 1977-era Exit 30 & 29 BGS' & gantry along I-95 example sign is located just north of the border and are MA-spec'd (then-MassDPW)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beeper1

Actually, that Valley Falls / Diamond Hill mileage sign was replaced in both of the last sign replacement projects.   I used to travel that route regularly and clearly remember the previous versions.   For some reason, it is always replaced identical to the previous one, and never changed to the more current format MA uses for mileage signs or to remove the km distances.

Follow up:  is this the only remaining sign in MA with mile and km distances? 

PHLBOS

Quote from: Beeper1 on March 14, 2019, 11:32:12 PMActually, that Valley Falls / Diamond Hill mileage sign was replaced in both of the last sign replacement projects.
I'm assuming that those sign replacement projects you're referring to were MA projects and only covered the short MA stretch of I-295.  The replacement signs along the RI stretch were separate/independent RIDOT project(s).

Quote from: Beeper1 on March 14, 2019, 11:32:12 PMI used to travel that route regularly and clearly remember the previous versions.   For some reason, it is always replaced identical to the previous one, and never changed to the more current format MA uses for mileage signs or to remove the km distances.
That is odd to be sure.  MA's first mileage BGS' that showed km distances were from the mid-1970s.

Quote from: Beeper1 on March 14, 2019, 11:32:12 PMFollow up: is this the only remaining sign in MA with mile and km distances?
Offhand, I would say yes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ben114

That's probably the first APL in RI, I gotta check that out soon

shadyjay

95SB in Providence gas a couple as well.  I've got shots of those on my I95 RI page on Flickr.

Beeper1

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 15, 2019, 08:47:39 AM
Quote from: Beeper1 on March 14, 2019, 11:32:12 PMActually, that Valley Falls / Diamond Hill mileage sign was replaced in both of the last sign replacement projects.
I'm assuming that those sign replacement projects you're referring to were MA projects and only covered the short MA stretch of I-295.  The replacement signs along the RI stretch were separate/independent RIDOT project(s).

Quote from: Beeper1 on March 14, 2019, 11:32:12 PMI used to travel that route regularly and clearly remember the previous versions.   For some reason, it is always replaced identical to the previous one, and never changed to the more current format MA uses for mileage signs or to remove the km distances.
That is odd to be sure.  MA's first mileage BGS' that showed km distances were from the mid-1970s.

Quote from: Beeper1 on March 14, 2019, 11:32:12 PMFollow up: is this the only remaining sign in MA with mile and km distances?

Yes, they were replaced by MA as part of their sign contracts.  This has always been a MA sign, it never matched the style of any of the BGSs on the RI side of the line.

spooky

Quote from: Ben114 on March 15, 2019, 11:18:57 AM

That's probably the first APL in RI, I gotta check that out soon

There has been an APL on I-95 SB in Providence for the US 6/RI 10/Downtown exit for at least a couple years.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8353465,-71.416005,3a,75y,200.69h,96.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snB7tPYAZZYYiIdiJgkD0IQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

southshore720

It would've been a smarter idea to erect this APL AFTER the bridge repair.  However, it's RIDOT...so I shouldn't be surprised.

roadman

Quote from: Beeper1 on March 15, 2019, 04:49:38 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on March 15, 2019, 08:47:39 AM

Yes, they were replaced by MA as part of their sign contracts.  This has always been a MA sign, it never matched the style of any of the BGSs on the RI side of the line.

Wrong.  The 'Valley Falls/Diamond Hill' distance sign with the dual MI/km distances is done to RI spec, not MA.  This sign was retained during both the 1988 MassDPW and 2005 MassHighway I-295 sign replacement projects.  As the sign is located in MA, I'm not sure how it got there to begin with. 
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jon daly

Is Rhode Island planning on replacing the I-295 overpasses over the Plainfield Pike (RI-14?) I see a lot of earth moving equipment in the median near there and it looks like they may put up temporary overpasses while they redo the main ones. I think that every other construction project that I come across is mentioned on RIDOT's webpage, but not this one.

davewiecking

The Goog retrieves several articles in response to me asking about "Plainfield Pike Bridge" . "Yes"  is the answer to your question.

jon daly

Thanks. I've learned that it's best to approach that stretch in the right lane if you're having north out of the "canyon." That seemed counterintuitive as there is no climbing lane in the canyon and slow 18 wheelers sometimes crawl up that highway there.

bob7374

RIDOT re-opened up the Gano Street ramp on I-195 West on Thursday evening as it weighs options for the upcoming Washington Bridge reconstruction project: https://www.ri.gov/press/view/36922

Still no news on the next phase of exit number renumbering on what the link to the project page on the RIDOT Statewide Programs & Initiatives page calls the Highway Renumbering Project.  :-D

Roadsguy

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on May 01, 2020, 02:34:54 PM
So... here's a video of the bridge replacement and interchange removal on the Henderson Expressway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANLaR5f60Kw

Video is private
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

bob7374

RIDOT has announced the winning bidder for the 2nd round of RI 146 sign replacement to begin this summer. The winning bidder, surprise again, is  LIDDELL BROS. INC  with a bid of $4,737,973.72 vs. ROADSAFE TRAFFIC SYSTEMS, INC. at $6,035,428.22. Will Liddell get all the MassDOT exit renumbering contracts as well?

SectorZ

Quote from: bob7374 on May 11, 2020, 12:38:50 PM
Will Liddell get all the MassDOT exit renumbering contracts as well?

Probably, and we'll be lucky that they're done before 2030.

bob7374

While the exit renumbering hasn't started, there is some progress on updating signage along RI 24. Here's both versions of the 1/2 mile advance for the now signed as RI 138 exit southbound in Portsmouth:

Other new sign and new sign post photos are at: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#photos

southshore720

In addition to the current signage upgrades, additional upgrades are coming to Route 146!  INCLUDING the elimination of the horrible stoplight at Sayles Hill Rd!  (We'll see if that actually comes to fruition!)
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/blackstone-valley/ri-lands-65m-federal-grant-to-fix-route-146/?fbclid=IwAR2mc50i5QclYtma8AM_2Y5WBKZ3B2gj1Rghx8SBrEnMHDwACKdAlsYePkE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.