News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why would they build I-95 and I-476 like this?

Started by Tonytone, September 11, 2018, 09:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: seicer on October 18, 2018, 09:45:13 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 18, 2018, 03:46:04 PM
I-95's new asphalt is already losing its black color. If this isnt an indications of how badly it needs 4-5 lanes then I dont know what will.

Two factors:

1. Roadway surfaces can fade for a variety of reasons, mostly due to ultraviolet light exposure.
2. The binder, bitumen, can wear away because of heavy traffic loads, weather, and ultraviolet light breaking down the chemical composition. The stone aggregate, usually lighter in color, can become exposed.

Both are not indicators that a roadway need repaving.
A roadway loses it's color in a week ? Cmon. Thats signs of heavy road use. If traffic was being evenly distributed, then there wouldn't be such road deterioration.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

seicer

A roadway won't lose its color in a week. It may show signs of use, but that's because it's actually being used as intended. It doesn't mean that the roadway is deteriorating. There are newly repaved roads up here in upstate New York that have faded considerably since they were laid but they are in like-new condition. Such is life.

Tonytone

Quote from: seicer on October 19, 2018, 07:33:07 AM
A roadway won't lose its color in a week. It may show signs of use, but that's because it's actually being used as intended. It doesn't mean that the roadway is deteriorating. There are newly repaved roads up here in upstate New York that have faded considerably since they were laid but they are in like-new condition. Such is life.
Well I suppose it's evened out now. Since they are paving the other lanes. I hope they repave all of 95 in Chester & not just parts like some places like to do.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.