News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I Recently Moved to South Florida

Started by Lyle, April 10, 2011, 11:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyle

Hello, all. I know I haven't posted in a while. I recently moved from Brooklyn, NY, to southeast Florida. I also changed my e-mail address. Just thought I'd let you know.

formulanone

Also from SE Florida, when I'm not travelling Mon-Fri.

xcellntbuy

Having lived in south Florida for over 13 years, you will find that New York City drivers were well-behaved, friendly and courteous compared to those in south Florida. :rolleyes:

agentsteel53

Quote from: xcellntbuy on April 27, 2011, 12:41:10 PM
Having lived in south Florida for over 13 years, you will find that New York City drivers were well-behaved, friendly and courteous compared to those in south Florida. :rolleyes:

New York drivers are very well-behaved.  they just expect you to be as well.  I've been honked at for not jumping a light that is about to turn green by about 1.5 seconds.  well, I'm from out of town; I don't have the timings memorized yet... but NYC has a stunningly low accident rate given the sheer number of vehicles!  Yes, there is lots of honking and middle fingers, but it's all promptly forgotten.  One does not have to feel threatened by the average New York driver - they've got important things to do and places to go; once you're out of their way, you may as well not exist.

as for south Florida ... yep, I agree that Miami has the absolute most aggressively stupid drivers in the country.  I once had someone run a stop sign at an intersection where I didn't have to stop ... I managed to slam on the brakes to avoid plowing into him, so what did he do?  He stopped in the middle of the intersection, got out of his car, came up to my window and started swearing at me!  I had to back up to get around him, at which point he gave chase until I lost him by making a sudden (and not particularly advisable) right turn from the left lane at the last second.  

Only in Miami!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

South Florida drivers a can be that irrational blend of overly aggressive combined with slow out-of-towners (especially the Quebecois...they're rolling construction sites in the left lane), and the too-busy morons that still put cell phones in their ear. Visit Boca Baton if you'd like a perfect storm of all these, plus they all have a personal injury lawyer on speed dial.

Actually, it's not that bad, it's just that most drivers in SF are very discourteous compared to the rest of the nation. My opinion is it's because there's people from all over the world there, with many different opinions on driving ethics and also out-of-car courtesies that clash often, defaulting to On My Last Nerve status all too often.

Also, most SF drivers never deal with hills, snow, ice, cliffs, bad roads, so they get a little spoiled.

agentsteel53

California also features a mixture of various driving styles, but it's much more rare to find people who are aggressively incorrect to the point of wasting their own time stopping in intersections just to have their say!

jake@aaroads.com

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 27, 2011, 02:38:14 PMNew York drivers are very well-behaved.  they just expect you to be as well.  I've been honked at for not jumping a light that is about to turn green by about 1.5 seconds.  well, I'm from out of town; I don't have the timings memorized yet... but NYC has a stunningly low accident rate given the sheer number of vehicles!  Yes, there is lots of honking and middle fingers, but it's all promptly forgotten.  One does not have to feel threatened by the average New York driver - they've got important things to do and places to go; once you're out of their way, you may as well not exist.
You forgot people who cut through the exit gore in traffic to avoid the lineup... I lost count of those last time I went to NYC.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on April 27, 2011, 04:22:27 PM
You forgot people who cut through the exit gore in traffic to avoid the lineup... I lost count of those last time I went to NYC.

I thought that was universal... not just New York.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 27, 2011, 02:38:14 PM

New York drivers are very well-behaved.  they just expect you to be as well.  I've been honked at for not jumping a light that is about to turn green by about 1.5 seconds.  well, I'm from out of town; I don't have the timings memorized yet... but NYC has a stunningly low accident rate given the sheer number of vehicles!  Yes, there is lots of honking and middle fingers, but it's all promptly forgotten.  One does not have to feel threatened by the average New York driver - they've got important things to do and places to go; once you're out of their way, you may as well not exist.

Same in NJ. Never heard it expressed so concisely before. The only place in the country where pissing someone off is forgotten the instant the car's off.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.