News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lowest speed limit on 2 lane roads with a passing zone

Started by ethanman62187, October 10, 2011, 09:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanman62187

Can anyone think on a low speed limit with a passing zone?  To what I think is in the skyline drive in VA , it is as low as 35 MPH.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

1995hoo

Most people probably wouldn't consider this a "passing zone," but at least in Virginia, on roads with no center stripe traffic going either way can pass if it's safe to do so. That means, for example, that in a residential neighborhood it's often legal to pull out and pass (not that you should actually do this, of course, unless you're going around a stopped vehicle like a moving truck). If you consider that sort of thing to be a "passing zone," then I've seen "passing zones" with speed limits as low as 5 mph. I'm not sure I'd really count that, though, because to me "passing zone" implies that normally there's no passing allowed and then there's a zone that grants an exception to that general rule. Residential streets with no center stripe don't really fit that scenario because passing is allowed at all times.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

I routinely see passing zones striped on 25 mph streets. Towns will put in a dashed yellow stripe just to denote a centerline. You can see it in a plaza 10 mph even

ftballfan

Quote from: Steve on October 10, 2011, 08:23:15 PM
I routinely see passing zones striped on 25 mph streets. Towns will put in a dashed yellow stripe just to denote a centerline. You can see it in a plaza 10 mph even
As major streets are being repaved in Manistee, MI, they are putting in double yellow lines where there used to be a dashed yellow stripe.

ethanman62187

Quote from: ftballfan on October 10, 2011, 09:52:49 PM
Quote from: Steve on October 10, 2011, 08:23:15 PM
As major streets are being repaved in Manistee, MI, they are putting in double yellow lines
where there used to be a dashed yellow stripe.

When will that be done?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ethanman62187

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.