News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on February 25, 2021, 09:52:24 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 24, 2021, 08:05:43 PM
According to my computer, which recently forced an update on me and required me to relocate my weather...

What town ended up getting your weather?   :crazy:

If he's from somewhere in the Northeast, probably Wichita or Norman...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Rather than twelve months, Wichita has twelve seasons:

I.  Winter
II.  False Spring
III.  Second Winter
IV.  Second False Spring
V.  Third Winter
VI.  Spring
VII.  Tornado Season
VIII.  Summer
IX.  Road Construction
X.  Fall (for four days)
XI.  December
XII.  Christmas

We're currently in False Spring.  The second one will come later in March.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Yesterday was a nice day, around 80 degrees, but today was more yucky, around 70 degrees and was raining.

ET21

Exactly two weeks after maxing out at 30 inches of snowpack, it has all melted (except the mounds of course)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-55

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2021, 04:02:04 PM
Rather than twelve months, Wichita has twelve seasons:

I.  Winter
II.  False Spring
III.  Second Winter
IV.  Second False Spring
V.  Third Winter
VI.  Spring
VII.  Tornado Season
VIII.  Summer
IX.  Road Construction
X.  Fall (for four days)
XI.  December
XII.  Christmas

We're currently in False Spring.  The second one will come later in March.

Meanwhile we have Indiana and the two or three cold weeks that stick out.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 02, 2021, 06:46:35 PM
windy

:rolleyes:

Pneumonia front season begins today. For those that don't know, the Great Lakes get backdoor cold fronts that are enhanced by the cold lake waters depending on how the wind direction sets up. These can drop our temps 10-30 degrees in some cases. Today it'll drop us from the low 50s into the upper 30s

Clinched:

J N Winkler

Today's predicted high is 70° F.

In Kansas there is now anxiety about how we will be paying for gas and electric costs incurred during the frigid spell two weeks ago, when spot wholesale prices increased by factors of 200 or more.  The most seriously affected are customers of small municipally owned utilities and local cooperatives, which buy on the spot market (Winfield, for example, has reported that customers who normally pay under $100 a month would see bills of $2,500 or more for February if there were no cost smoothing), but it is becoming clear that the much larger companies that serve Wichita and Kansas City have had some exposure, to the extent that they've spent 40 to 50 times as much on fuel and power as they would during a typical month (February 2021 costs equivalent to four times costs for all of 2020).

As a state, Kansas is more thoroughly winterized than Texas and not as aggressively deregulated, so there haven't been reports of five-figure bills through Griddy or whatever.  But in the medium term, a major concern is that the southward shift of the jet stream due to warming at the poles may make periods of extreme cold no longer infrequent.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 03, 2021, 12:38:18 PM
Today's predicted high is 70° F.

In Kansas there is now anxiety about how we will be paying for gas and electric costs incurred during the frigid spell two weeks ago, when spot wholesale prices increased by factors of 200 or more.  The most seriously affected are customers of small municipally owned utilities and local cooperatives, which buy on the spot market (Winfield, for example, has reported that customers who normally pay under $100 a month would see bills of $2,500 or more for February if there were no cost smoothing), but it is becoming clear that the much larger companies that serve Wichita and Kansas City have had some exposure, to the extent that they've spent 40 to 50 times as much on fuel and power as they would during a typical month (February 2021 costs equivalent to four times costs for all of 2020).

As a state, Kansas is more thoroughly winterized than Texas and not as aggressively deregulated, so there haven't been reports of five-figure bills through Griddy or whatever.  But in the medium term, a major concern is that the southward shift of the jet stream due to warming at the poles may make periods of extreme cold no longer infrequent.

The power company sent out notice a while ago saying not to worry, stating that the issue in Texas is due in part to the fact that it's deregulated there.

Won't the downturn in power usage due to the recent warm spell help offset the extra use seen earlier?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2021, 12:46:43 PMWon't the downturn in power usage due to the recent warm spell help offset the extra use seen earlier?

It doesn't, when the underlying wholesale costs spike to the levels seen just after Valentine's Day.  Taking gas as an example, it takes a lot of reduced consumption at $8/mmBTU to offset elevated consumption at $1900/mmBTU.

The KCC has announced rate investigations.  Pending the outcomes of these, I'm not sure how this situation might get resolved except through the state bailing out the utilities or requiring the wholesale providers to take a haircut.  The latter would be easier to justify if there turn out to be indications of profiteering.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Mark68

Currently 63 and sunny.

This time tomorrow: probably mid 30s and snow.

March in Colorado.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

thspfc

50s today. Above freezing for the 7th straight day or so, yet we still have almost complete snow cover because we had so much accumulated.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bruce

A bit of thunder, snow, and hail for various parts of the Seattle area today between bits of sunshine.

ET21

Gorgeous stretch of weather for the next few days. 60s through Wednesday until rain cools us back to average by the weekend.

Clinched:

hotdogPi

Quote from: ET21 on March 08, 2021, 09:55:41 AM
Gorgeous stretch of weather for the next few days. 60s through Wednesday until rain cools us back to average by the weekend.

Same here, delayed by two days, as usual. Tuesday-Friday are the 50+ days, and the Tuesday after is 39 and possible snow.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Roadgeekteen

zachary_amaryllis

nice last few days, 60 to 70 in colorado

but as all of us in colorado know, when you have days like that in the winter (it IS still winter...) surely the shit cometh and that right soon.

they're talking upwards of 20" of snow over the weekend. i live a short distance into the foothills, so... it could be ugly. i'm pretty sure my camry is less than 20" off the ground...
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Roadgeekteen

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 10, 2021, 08:22:57 AM

but as all of us in colorado know, when you have days like that in the winter (it IS still winter...) surely the shit cometh and that right soon.

they're talking upwards of 20" of snow over the weekend. i live a short distance into the foothills, so... it could be ugly. i'm pretty sure my camry is less than 20" off the ground...

I drive a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and it's the highest stock clearance of any vehicle and it's only 11" clearance.

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 10, 2021, 08:47:35 AM

I drive a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and it's the highest stock clearance of any vehicle and it's only 11" clearance.

I bought our Nissan Pathfinder R51 primarily for the ground clearance, and it's just under 9 inches.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

The weather here has been quite windy.  It's been from the south, which is good, because it looks like the farmer sold the land north of my work to development, and they've been grading the dirt all week.
Male pronouns, please.

ozarkman417

4-6 inches of RAIN expected for me between Thursday and Sunday. Luckily for me, I'll be avoiding much of it, as I will be driving to Florida.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 10, 2021, 08:47:35 AM

Chris

i have two more go-to-town days before the weekend. went to king stupids today and it was mobbed. i'm looking forward to being snowed in up here. i have plenty of food and ... well, other consumables  :spin: :cool: so i'm good.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

I-55

I get to walk to class tomorrow under a 90 percent chance of thunderstorms.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.