News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

I use Fair Oaks Farms at Exit 220 as my rest stop on I-65 through Indaina. It's not far from the Walcott Rest Area so I am perfectly fine with that one going away. They have got some great ice cream it's a stop I would highly recommend while traveling through there. And it's an easy exit not much traffic.

Great Lakes Roads

westerninterloper

Quote from: PurdueBill on January 17, 2023, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: FixThe74Sign on January 16, 2023, 11:27:49 AM
Put me in the camp of pro rest stops. They tore down the rest stop on 74 Eastbound near the Ohio border last year, and I've noticed lots of trucks parking at the SR 101 exit overnight, resulting in shoulder damage and trash everywhere. And that rest stop was only 10 years old or so...

I also like using rest stops if I need a quick bathroom break, as I know it's an easy in and easy out, and I generally don't have to gamble and hope I picked a good gas station.

At least they are going to re-do the Welcome Centers. I know Indiana generally isn't prime road trip country, but I like how the states out West usually have a nice welcome center where you can take a picture of a welcome sign to document your trip.

Rest Areas are important as private businesses come and go, change their hours, etc. and while the services off a highway may have restrooms, it isn't really their job to provide them to every traveler including those who buy nothing but have to "go". 
Driving semi-frequently from NE Ohio to Lafayette, IN via I-71, US 30, I-469, US 24, and IN 25, it is amazing the difference between Ohio and Indiana in rest areas.  On US 30 in Ohio alone, you have 4 rest areas between Mansfield and the Indiana line.  Plus another on I-71.  It has really made a difference when many times, due to necessity, I am making the trip late at night and some businesses are closed mostly overnight that used to be open then.  I used to use the Owens store (now Kroger) in Huntington as a de facto rest area (to use the restroom, walk/stretch a minute before the final 90 minutes of the westbound trip) but they are no longer open 24 hours.  There are fast food and gas places that aren't open overnight either--the new Casey's stations in Huntington and Peru close by 12am if not earlier.  I suppose you could pull in to the Hampton Inn in Wabash and beg to use the restroom or something.  At least Ohio has a number of rest areas and they are well-maintained.  The first sign entering Ohio on US 30 EB from Indiana is "Rest Area 9 miles" so they must be aware that people coming in from Indiana may need it!  :P

I drive a lot between Ohio and Indiana and notice those differences too. When I was growing up in indiana, there were about twice as many rest areas, many of them small picnic areas, as there are now. Indiana has slowly rebuilt better rest areas (I-69 between FtW and Indy), but still has several that are old (I 70 west of Indy) and stretches where there are none (I-69 between Indy and Evansville).

The new Indiana Toll Road rest stops are an improvement, but can't compare to the Ohio Turnpike rest areas, which I think have to be the best in the country.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

2trailertrucker

Quote from: westerninterloper on February 12, 2023, 03:50:09 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on January 17, 2023, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: FixThe74Sign on January 16, 2023, 11:27:49 AM
Put me in the camp of pro rest stops. They tore down the rest stop on 74 Eastbound near the Ohio border last year, and I've noticed lots of trucks parking at the SR 101 exit overnight, resulting in shoulder damage and trash everywhere. And that rest stop was only 10 years old or so...

I also like using rest stops if I need a quick bathroom break, as I know it's an easy in and easy out, and I generally don't have to gamble and hope I picked a good gas station.

At least they are going to re-do the Welcome Centers. I know Indiana generally isn't prime road trip country, but I like how the states out West usually have a nice welcome center where you can take a picture of a welcome sign to document your trip.

Rest Areas are important as private businesses come and go, change their hours, etc. and while the services off a highway may have restrooms, it isn't really their job to provide them to every traveler including those who buy nothing but have to "go". 
Driving semi-frequently from NE Ohio to Lafayette, IN via I-71, US 30, I-469, US 24, and IN 25, it is amazing the difference between Ohio and Indiana in rest areas.  On US 30 in Ohio alone, you have 4 rest areas between Mansfield and the Indiana line.  Plus another on I-71.  It has really made a difference when many times, due to necessity, I am making the trip late at night and some businesses are closed mostly overnight that used to be open then.  I used to use the Owens store (now Kroger) in Huntington as a de facto rest area (to use the restroom, walk/stretch a minute before the final 90 minutes of the westbound trip) but they are no longer open 24 hours.  There are fast food and gas places that aren't open overnight either--the new Casey's stations in Huntington and Peru close by 12am if not earlier.  I suppose you could pull in to the Hampton Inn in Wabash and beg to use the restroom or something.  At least Ohio has a number of rest areas and they are well-maintained.  The first sign entering Ohio on US 30 EB from Indiana is "Rest Area 9 miles" so they must be aware that people coming in from Indiana may need it!  :P

I drive a lot between Ohio and Indiana and notice those differences too. When I was growing up in indiana, there were about twice as many rest areas, many of them small picnic areas, as there are now. Indiana has slowly rebuilt better rest areas (I-69 between FtW and Indy), but still has several that are old (I 70 west of Indy) and stretches where there are none (I-69 between Indy and Evansville).

The new Indiana Toll Road rest stops are an improvement, but can't compare to the Ohio Turnpike rest areas, which I think have to be the best in the country.

Indiana has closed several rest areas in the past few years. Going so far as tear down the buildings and the roads, and burying it in dirt. With the severe lack of truck parking, and the state is not broke, you would think they would make them truck parking areas at the least.

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 11, 2023, 06:49:49 PM
https://www.wthr.com/video/news/local/indiana-lawmakers-to-discuss-future-of-bill-on-worksite-speed-control/531-1b4eb8e5-9ad3-47b5-a6f5-f4fcfb822ce7

Worksite speed cameras could be coming to Indiana...

it's impossible to do the construction speed limit. if you try, everyone around you tries to run you off the road  :-D

ITB

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on February 15, 2023, 04:56:23 AM
Indiana has closed several rest areas in the past few years. Going so far as tear down the buildings and the roads, and burying it in dirt. With the severe lack of truck parking, and the state is not broke, you would think they would make them truck parking areas at the least.

INDOT does have a plan to more than double the amount of truck parking over the next 10 years. It's part of the state's upgrade of it rest areas and welcome centers, plus the building of two new truck parking facilities on I-69 — one in Martinsville, the other near Crane.

According to a Truckers News article, published August 23, 2021, the upgrade of the Pigeon Creek Welcome Center near Angola has already been completed, and work was starting on the Kankakee rest area on Interstate 65 in Jasper County.

Also, this summer, according to a news report, construction is expected to commence on the Clear Creek Welcome Center and Rest Area in Vigo County.

Edit: grammar

sprjus4

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 15, 2023, 04:11:31 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 11, 2023, 06:49:49 PM
https://www.wthr.com/video/news/local/indiana-lawmakers-to-discuss-future-of-bill-on-worksite-speed-control/531-1b4eb8e5-9ad3-47b5-a6f5-f4fcfb822ce7

Worksite speed cameras could be coming to Indiana...

it's impossible to do the construction speed limit. if you try, everyone around you tries to run you off the road  :-D
What is up with Indiana's obsession with 45 mph work zones? Would 55 mph hurt too much?

silverback1065

I was bored Saturday and drove the new route of 28. The signage is meh, just enough to get you around Tipton. for some reason the last exit sign for 26 wasn't changed to show 28 on it. Also along the way on 26 and 19, 28 isn't cosigned, but the jogs are signed. I did notice that division road is signed as Truck 28 but only at the ends with 31 and 19. man it would have been great for that to just be 28, but I am assuming cost was the factor there. Someone earlier said the new routing was way out of the way, I don't agree, didn't feel like that at all to me driving it. 19 is now signed on the little bypass in Tipton and that seems to work pretty well. all in all it seems to be working well.

monty

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 21, 2023, 11:23:06 AM
I was bored Saturday and drove the new route of 28. The signage is meh, just enough to get you around Tipton. for some reason the last exit sign for 26 wasn't changed to show 28 on it. Also along the way on 26 and 19, 28 isn't cosigned, but the jogs are signed. I did notice that division road is signed as Truck 28 but only at the ends with 31 and 19. man it would have been great for that to just be 28, but I am assuming cost was the factor there. Someone earlier said the new routing was way out of the way, I don't agree, didn't feel like that at all to me driving it. 19 is now signed on the little bypass in Tipton and that seems to work pretty well. all in all it seems to be working well.
The newly placed "28"  and "19"  signage seems adequate to show the new routes and the routes are logical. I am disappointed the new concurrency segments lack signage. Easily, there could be at least a dozen more signs / shields erected to just meet the normal standard of JCT and reassurance placements. I caught in the Tipton Tribune that there are INDOT plans to install a roundabout at IN 19, Park Road, and Main Street. City and County officials are working on their side of the equation - Division Road truck route designation and downtown signals vs stop signs are in debate (and under study).
monty

SSR_317

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 15, 2023, 11:19:25 PM
What is up with Indiana's obsession with 45 mph work zones? Would 55 mph hurt too much?
I think it's because we Hoosiers tend to automatically add (at least) 10 MPH to all posted speed limits when we're behind the wheel. So they post the work zones at 45, hoping people will slow down to 55.

silverback1065

the ramp meters INDOT promised us are almost here. East side exits on 465 from 65 to 70 (SE Side of town) have pedestal poles installed, I wonder when they will go online.  :hmmm: saw this in the news last year and it looks like it's finally going to happen.

The Ghostbuster

How common are ramp meters in Indiana? There are some on the Beltline here in Madison, and in southeast Wisconsin they are everywhere.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 07, 2023, 08:48:32 PM
How common are ramp meters in Indiana? There are some on the Beltline here in Madison, and in southeast Wisconsin they are everywhere.

Not common at all. I think that section of I-465 will be the first to have them installed in the state. I know there's talk of putting them on I-80/94 between I-294 and I-65 in the future, but that is still in the study phase.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 07, 2023, 09:04:58 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 07, 2023, 08:48:32 PM

Not common at all. I think that section of I-465 will be the first to have them installed in the state. I know there's talk of putting them on I-80/94 between I-294 and I-65 in the future, but that is still in the study phase.

I'm pretty sure these are the first.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ysuindy

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 17, 2023, 08:18:28 AM
the SR 37 Project in Fishers has gotten better. they restriped the lanes going southbound to line up correctly and warned you of the right lane being exit only. they have turn 141st into a 1st for me at seeing at least, a signalized RIRO. fishers says that the 141st interchange is still on schedule to be built later this year or early next. this appears to be an ok bandaid in the interim

I noticed last week that all the construction signs, barrels and lower speed limits have been removed from the SR 27 project in Fishers.  This should continue until they start work on the 141st interchange.

There are green mile marker signs installed every one tenth of a mile.  On the shoulders where possible, in the median when it occurs at an underpass.

There are "freeway ends" signs where the ramp to northbound 37 from 146th ends.   There is a rogue orange construction ends sign up the near Greenfield Avenue, which is actually the first access to 37 after the "freeway ends" signs.

The morning commute is often interesting trying to merge in to traffic on 37.  The ramps are not that long and having just a half mile between the 131st and 126th ramps makes for a short merge zone, particularly with the people who hug the right lane because they are exiting farther down the road.  I haven't had to go up and down the 126th street ramps yet, but I bet it happens sometime.

SSR_317

Quote from: ysuindy on March 10, 2023, 03:51:55 PM

The morning commute is often interesting trying to merge in to traffic on 37.  The ramps are not that long and having just a half mile between the 131st and 126th ramps makes for a short merge zone, particularly with the people who hug the right lane because they are exiting farther down the road.  I haven't had to go up and down the 126th street ramps yet, but I bet it happens sometime.
This is what occurs when the state lets local entities do their own thing rather than enforcing standards on them. Same thing occurred on Keystone Avenue when the state relinquished S.R. 431 to the city of Carmel. They promptly turned it into a sub-standard freeway, designed & built as cheaply as possible, which they now call "Keystone Parkway".

silverback1065

Quote from: SSR_317 on March 11, 2023, 10:01:46 AM
Quote from: ysuindy on March 10, 2023, 03:51:55 PM

This is what occurs when the state lets local entities do their own thing rather than enforcing standards on them. Same thing occurred on Keystone Avenue when the state relinquished S.R. 431 to the city of Carmel. They promptly turned it into a sub-standard freeway, designed & built as cheaply as possible, which they now call "Keystone Parkway".

they have to have had to follow INDOT standards for 37 since INDOT will retake control of the road once the project finishes. Keystone is not a state road so Carmel could do whatever they wanted to it.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.nwitimes.com/business/transportation/indiana-highway-speed-camera-enforcement-heading-for-final-approval/article_d6890c4e-b5a7-5e83-a21d-85d79c1be02c.html

We are one step closer to getting speed cameras in construction zones in Indiana as the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Transportation voted 8-1 to advance House-approved speed camera legislation to the full Senate for a decision – possibly as soon as next week – on sending House Bill 1015 to Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb to be signed into law.

nwi_navigator_1181

Back to work on Northwest Indiana expressways.

Traffic on I-80/94 in both directions have already been shifted to the outside as work to finish concrete restoration between I-65 and Cline Avenue. The bigger concern will be on I-65.

Starting next week, two sections of I-65 will be under construction for more concrete restoration. The first section targets the area between 61st Avenue and I-80/94.

Work will start to shift the northbound lanes to the outside shoulder, with both shoulders closed in that direction. After said shift, southbound lanes will be moved to the inside, with the farthest left lane crossing over into the northbound side (the counter flow). Southbound access to and from Ridge Road (including the slip ramp from the I-80/94 east to I-65 south connector) will be closed off until completion, which is set for early- to mid-June.

The more challenging section involves the area between 73rd and 137th Avenues (for reference, from just north of US 30 to just south of US 231). Next week, both directions will be down to two lanes, after which northbound traffic will be shifted into the southbound lanes to allow crews to do full restoration on the northbound side. As a result, the ramp from US 231 to I-65 north, as well as the northbound exit and entry ramps at 109th Avenue will be closed. All work there is set for August completion.

Detours for impacted ramp closures will likely involve Indiana 53 (southbound from Ridge to US 30, and northbound from US 231/109th Avenue to US 30).

TempoNick

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 06, 2022, 05:53:52 PM
Officials are looking to confer with federal transportation authorities and INDOT about the feasibility of having an interchange there.

I thought the days when federal officials had a say about what happens with interstates was something from a bygone era. What do the feds know about Indiana's needs? When they built i-670 here in Columbus local officials were telling them we needed four lanes in each direction. They insisted on three.

silverback1065

Quote from: TempoNick on March 28, 2023, 02:36:34 PM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 06, 2022, 05:53:52 PM
Officials are looking to confer with federal transportation authorities and INDOT about the feasibility of having an interchange there.

I thought the days when federal officials had a say about what happens with interstates was something from a bygone era. What do the feds know about Indiana's needs? When they built i-670 here in Columbus local officials were telling them we needed four lanes in each direction. They insisted on three.

I believe the feds are always involved in interstate matters that involve a major change, especially when it's an interchange being added or modified.

nwi_navigator_1181

Wanted to check to make sure this wasn't previously mentioned first.

The Indiana Toll Road is currently undergoing the Northwest Indiana Bridge Rehabilitation Project, with a focus on the bridges near the West Point Toll Plaza (at the Illinois State Line) and the Cline Avenue exit near the Gary-Chicago Airport.

At West Point: I-90 in both directions will be reduced to one lane (two lanes between Cline Avenue and the toll barrier). While the Indianapolis Boulevard exit will be open westbound, eastbound access to the Indiana Toll Road from Indianapolis Boulevard will be closed. Local traffic using 108th Avenue will be rerouted around the underpass. Those looking to enter the Toll Road from the state line will be required to drive down to Calumet Avenue (US 41), where access to the Toll Road will be available.

At Cline Avenue (Exit 10), all entry and exit ramps are closed. Westbound traffic is asked to use Cline Avenue to Indiana 312 west, then to US 41 north where westbound access is available. (If you're willing to pay to cross the Cline Avenue bridge, this is the much quicker route). Eastbound traffic is asked to use Cline Avenue south to US 12/20 east (5th Avenue), driving through downtown Gary to reach the Toll Road at entry 17. Toll Road traffic looking to exit to Cline Avenue will be asked to use US 12/20 west (via exit 17 westbound) or Calumet Avenue south to Indiana 312 east (eastbound, though it would be quicker to use exit 3 - Cline Avenue eastbound - if you're willing to pay the bridge toll). This project is expected to last through the summer.

On the Toll Road itself, the non-EZPass lanes will have the automated machines refitted to accept Apple and Google Pay (ramps included), along with updates to the EZPass readers themselves. The Elkhart, Elkhart East, Angola (I-69), and Eastgate plazas have already been refitted. More to come.

Great Lakes Roads

silverback1065

are they going to close 465 in between 70 and 65 on the sw side? I see they have installed detour signs all along 70 from the south split out to 465. and I see big orange signs showing something happening to 465 west of 65 on sb 465 on the east side.  :hmmm:

pianocello

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 14, 2023, 09:55:15 PM
are they going to close 465 in between 70 and 65 on the sw side? I see they have installed detour signs all along 70 from the south split out to 465. and I see big orange signs showing something happening to 465 west of 65 on sb 465 on the east side.  :hmmm:

It won't be closed entirely, but they're adding a lane in each direction as part of the I-69 project IIRC. Part of that is bringing at least one direction of 465 down to 1 lane for a couple days at a time, which could be what that big orange sign is.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.