News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Lakes Roads

In the realms of INDOT, they have started to put new signs on the rerouting of SR 28 to go onto US 31 into Howard County, following SR 26 and SR 19 back into Tipton County on the east side of Tipton. 23 miles added to that routing, and it's so INDOT!  :banghead:

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 09, 2022, 12:18:36 AM
In the realms of INDOT, they have started to put new signs on the rerouting of SR 28 to go onto US 31 into Howard County, following SR 26 and SR 19 back into Tipton County on the east side of Tipton. 23 miles added to that routing, and it's so INDOT!  :banghead:

Wait, I thought it was going to route on CR 500 W and Division Rd.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

:-D  Wow that's so INDOT  It could be worse, they could have just placed a gap which is what I thought they would do.

hockeyjohn

Even though the re-routing is along existing state maintained highways, does this 23-mile addition count against the mileage limit imposed by the state legislature on INDOT?    If yes, it makes this even more puzzling.   

I wish the concept of a highway network would return to Indiana where state roads would begin and end at state roads or at least be signed as such in cases where a local jurisdiction takes over a short section of roadway.    In the case of Tipton, "28" could have been signed in some way along the existing roadway (SR 28, To SR 28, 28 without Indiana on the sign, etc.) while posting the Truck 28 onto Division Rd or whatever.    There are similar situations in Kokomo and Franklin where this concept could be used.

NE2

Quote from: hockeyjohn on December 09, 2022, 02:15:43 PM
Even though the re-routing is along existing state maintained highways, does this 23-mile addition count against the mileage limit imposed by the state legislature on INDOT?    If yes, it makes this even more puzzling.   
Why would it? It's a limit on state maintained mileage, with no mention of how it's signed.

QuoteThe state highway system shall be designated by the department. The total extent of the state highway system may not exceed twelve thousand (12,000) miles. The state highway system consists of the principal arterial highways in Indiana and includes the following:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

monty

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 09, 2022, 07:27:04 AM

Wait, I thought it was going to route on CR 500 W and Division Rd.

Division Road will become the standard East-West county truck route for said truck traffic (instead of existing SR 28) to skirt the city of Tipton’s new downtown “no through truck” policy. This is part of the relinquishment deal with the city and county.  INDOT is not going to take control of Division Road.

If you’re southbound on US 31 from Kokomo and intend to go east from Tipton on SR 28, it makes sense to hop off at SR 26 and then south on SR 19. That’d be the shortest route.

SR 19 will also be realigned from the east side of Tipton. It will go south on Ash Street and then west on Park Road to the current alignment. Formerly the county’s Tipton bypass. INDOT just installed a four way stop at Main and Park for this.

I suppose INDOT is at least signing both routes as continuous.
monty

hockeyjohn

Quote from: NE2 on December 09, 2022, 02:22:04 PM
Quote from: hockeyjohn on December 09, 2022, 02:15:43 PM
Why would it? It's a limit on state maintained mileage, with no mention of how it's signed.

QuoteThe state highway system shall be designated by the department. The total extent of the state highway system may not exceed twelve thousand (12,000) miles. The state highway system consists of the principal arterial highways in Indiana and includes the following:

I thought I read once that each route's mileage in a multiplex was counted toward the mileage limit in Indiana, but the statute does not indicate that.   Glad to be wrong as doing so would be a real head scratcher.

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2016/ic/titles/008/articles/023/chapters/004/

monty

Drove through Tipton after noon. Exited US 31 Northbound onto SR 28 East. Saw no new signage. Moved over to SR 19 and Park Road. Saw new signs at the new four way stop routing SR 19 onto Park Road.  At the SR 19 & 28 junction at the stoplight at the east side of Tipton, new route markers indicating 28 E to turn east and 19 straight ahead north. 

Then at Division Road and SR 19 saw a new sign indicating "Truck 28"   to turn west and reassurance Truck 28 shield west of 19. 

I snapped a couple of pictures. Not sure how to upload them from my iPhone.
monty

tdindy88

What do the Truck 28 shields look like, are they like the state highway shields.

I do appreciate that they aren't splitting up SR 28 but anyone traveling from Frankfort to Elwood surly isn't going to travel up to Howard County to travel that routing.

I wonder why SR 28 got to keep its continuous routing and not SR 26. They could have just routed that onto US 52 on the south side of Lafayette and used SR 38 to connect back to I-65.

monty

The shields look like state shields, including directional tags, i.e. West.

On southbound 19 approaching, there is the Indiana 28 shield with "Trucks"  above and directional arrows below pointing west and south.
monty

I-55

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 10, 2022, 05:01:43 PM
I wonder why SR 28 got to keep its continuous routing and not SR 26. They could have just routed that onto US 52 on the south side of Lafayette and used SR 38 to connect back to I-65.

The argument that state routes should be continuous only matters if a decent portion of traffic is continuing from one segment to another. SR 37 doesn't need to be signed over state routes from Marion to the northeast side of Fort Wayne because most people aren't traveling both segments on their trip. SR 26 isn't used much to travel through Lafayette as much as it is to get to Lafayette. 28 is different because a significant portion of traffic would continue to utilize both segments of the discontinuous route. Functionally 37 and 26 are different routes, but 28 is a single route.

I think 28 should use Division Rd, but if not just leave the old route as CR 28 or something like that to signal a continuity. No one is going to follow the 28 routing all the way up to Kokomo.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

monty

There are a lot of trucks flowing east and west on 28 through the region. It would be interesting to see how many actually turn onto US 31. I suspect it's a small percentage. It is a grain corridor, lots of industry in Frankfort (notably Frito Lay) and lots of Red Gold freight originating in Elwood-Orestes.  I suspect 2/3 of the SR 28 trucks end up accessing I65 and I69 via SR28, with those heading north.

Only Chrysler at Tipton likely routes regular trucks to their Kokomo plants but a lot of them also head up I69.

Red Gold bulk loads that originate in fields to the north travel down US 31 to SR 26 to SR 19 to SR 28.
monty

NWI_Irish96

Having 28 routed all the way up to the southern edge of Kokomo makes no sense. Nobody is going to follow that route.

I get towns like Tipton not wanting a bunch of through traffic, especially truck traffic, but if you have to reroute that far you might as well make it discontinuous.

I-55

If there's a decent reason INDOT wouldn't want to use Division Rd it may be to avoid having to build another interchange off US 31. IIRC there was discussion but there are no plans for an interchange there (correct me if I'm wrong). If Tipton Park wasn't where it was there'd be a logical bypass route to the south but obviously can't build there now. Routings like these make it feel like INDOT is starting to gerrymander their state highways.

tdindy88

I think they'll get around to building that Division Road interchange, especially if there's still a stoplight there. I imagine the ProPel US 31 studies will get to the eventual conclusion that an interchange there is a good idea.

One more point on this reroute. Since it seems that Division Road is being "signed" as Truck SR 28 that would mean that the truck bypass of a state highway is better routed than the actual state highway itself. That seems so wrong.

monty

"I think they'll get around to building that Division Road interchange, especially if there's still a stoplight there. I imagine the ProPel US 31 studies will get to the eventual conclusion that an interchange there is a good idea."

Having Division Road formally acting as Truck SR 28 seemingly will aid the development of an interchange with US 31.
monty

silverback1065

26 and 25 were both supposed to be routed around lafayette continously using Teal Road and SR 38. there was a newspaper article showing it. For some reason INDOT didnt end up doing it and just signed the highway they had to keep continuous US 52.

NWI_Irish96

Before I submit this to TravelMapping to have them update, I want to make sure this is correct:

IN 19 now routes along Park Rd and Ash St instead of Main St and Jefferson St

IN 28 now routes along US 31, IN 26 and IN 19 instead of connecting directly from US 31 to IN 19

Truck 28 now exists from US 31 along Division Rd and IN 19 to Jefferson St

monty

Before I submit this to TravelMapping to have them update, I want to make sure this is correct:

IN 19 now routes along Park Rd and Ash St instead of Main St and Jefferson St
Yes

IN 28 now routes along US 31, IN 26 and IN 19 instead of connecting directly from US 31 to IN 19
I can't confirm but this is accurate with other posts.

Truck 28 now exists from US 31 along Division Rd and IN 19 to Jefferson St
Yes
monty

PurdueBill

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 12, 2022, 10:57:22 AM
26 and 25 were both supposed to be routed around lafayette continously using Teal Road and SR 38. there was a newspaper article showing it. For some reason INDOT didnt end up doing it and just signed the highway they had to keep continuous US 52.

About 15 years ago they did have 25 run down 38 to 65, with the BGSs modified to include 25 at Exit 168 and a small sign saying "For 25 North use Exit 175".  That only lasted a couple years and then was changed to the gap in 25, which makes no sense. 

If they had planned ahead better, they could have run 52 across CR 350S (now Veterans Memorial) to the "new" 231 or something instead of using Teal Road.  25 years ago, 350S was out in the sticks; I could ride my bike on it and only see a few cars.  The sprawl out to there has been amazing, but it still would have been a more capable road than Teal to get 52 over to 231.

If West Lafayette wanted thru traffic out by removing 26, it worked...it is brutal taking State Street through town most of the time anymore.  Although using Harrison/Williams/Tapawingo to get around it isn't always as bad. 

bmeiser

Quote from: bmeiser on December 01, 2022, 03:04:27 PM
Anybody have any idea when the CR 550 / I-65 exit is going to open in Boone County? I found an article stating "by November", but that didn't happen. I haven't seen anything going on over there lately and it looks pretty much complete. I mainly just want to use the bridge so I don't have to go up to the crazy 267 interchange.

"after May of 2023"  :-(

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/33c32f0

I did notice that both lanes on the 267 bridge were open this morning and I was able to zoom past 3 slow dump trucks, so that helps some...

Great Lakes Roads

https://revivei70.com/

20+ miles widening project on I-70 in Wayne County to begin construction in late 2024.

Improvements include:
One lane added in each direction between Cambridge City and Richmond for a total of three travel lanes in each direction (new lanes added to existing grass median)

Two key interchanges (I-70 and US 40 interchange and the I-70 and US 35/Williamsburg Pike interchange) modified to improve safety and mobility

All 40 bridges in the project area widened to accommodate additional travel lanes

Additional bridge improvements including complete replacements, deck replacements, deck overlays and painting

PurdueBill

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 12, 2022, 08:33:30 PM
https://revivei70.com/

20+ miles widening project on I-70 in Wayne County to begin construction in late 2024.

Improvements include:
One lane added in each direction between Cambridge City and Richmond for a total of three travel lanes in each direction (new lanes added to existing grass median)

Two key interchanges (I-70 and US 40 interchange and the I-70 and US 35/Williamsburg Pike interchange) modified to improve safety and mobility

All 40 bridges in the project area widened to accommodate additional travel lanes

Additional bridge improvements including complete replacements, deck replacements, deck overlays and painting

Back in 2000-2001 Ohio rebuilt their westernmost 20 miles of I-70 and widened the bridges to 3 lanes but built the road as the same 2 lanes...wonder if Indiana widening the adjoining 20 miles might make ODOT think about it some more?  Hmm.

I wonder if the US 40 interchange will become one exit each direction instead of an A-B.  If so, will it be the end of the Exit 156B westbound ramp where you decelerate in Ohio, just go into Indiana at the gore, and merge onto US 40 in Ohio?  Would kinda be a bummer.

tdindy88

I'm curious about what the US 35 interchange might look like, it's a bit of a weird design and could certainly use some updating. As for I-70 into Ohio, I was thinking it might not be a terrible idea to keep the six lanes eastward to the US 35 interchange east of the state line. That would be up to Ohio though.

I-55

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 12, 2022, 12:45:17 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 12, 2022, 10:57:22 AM

About 15 years ago they did have 25 run down 38 to 65, with the BGSs modified to include 25 at Exit 168 and a small sign saying "For 25 North use Exit 175".  That only lasted a couple years and then was changed to the gap in 25, which makes no sense. 

If they had planned ahead better, they could have run 52 across CR 350S (now Veterans Memorial) to the "new" 231 or something instead of using Teal Road.  25 years ago, 350S was out in the sticks; I could ride my bike on it and only see a few cars.  The sprawl out to there has been amazing, but it still would have been a more capable road than Teal to get 52 over to 231.

If West Lafayette wanted thru traffic out by removing 26, it worked...it is brutal taking State Street through town most of the time anymore.  Although using Harrison/Williams/Tapawingo to get around it isn't always as bad.

US 52 only follows Teal because it was always under state maintenance. When the time came to move 52 over to 231 INDOT just kept what they had and changed the signs. Had Teal not been a state route I think there's no question it gets routed on Veterans. INDOT is also rebuilding 52 almost completely from 231 to Sagamore, adding more city friendly elements (curbs, sidewalks, updated traffic signals).

Harrison/Williams/Tapawingo is my preferred route since (on campus alone) I usually get stopped at 3+ lights for pedestrians to cross (either 13 or 20 second timers). Purdue really wanted 26 turned over so they could diet it and add bike and pedestrian paths. Besides, who wants a 4 lane undivided state route bisecting campus? INDOT of course is always happy to shed inventory resulting in a mutual benefit to both parties.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.