News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Price is Right

Started by Scott5114, September 20, 2009, 11:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

When I'm not posting here, I also post at golden-road.net, the Price is Right fan forum. Oddly enough on a few occasions I've posted roadgeek stuff in their off-topic board and got a favorable reaction to it, so I'm guessing there's some kind of roadgeek-TPIR fan compatibility. And I know at least two other people who are registered there and here.

So, on the eve of the show's 38th season premiere, who's interested in it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mightyace

I was a fan long ago.  I started when the show was new and you still said, "Isn't that the same Bob Barker from 'Truth or Consequenses?'"

I lost interest sometime in the mid-80s.  Not surprisingly, that is when I started working for a living and being away when the show was on.

38th season  :wow:  Now, that makes me feel old.  :ded:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

There's a lot of crossover between the roadgeek and game show communities.  I grew up with TPIR so it has a special place in my heart, but only the Bob Barker years.  (I'd even say only the Rod Roddy (sp?) years, because the games got progressively worse shortly before he passed away.)  There are a few other game shows I like because I grew up with them - Jeopardy, $N,000 Pyramid, Love Connection, Scrabble.

cu2010

I've noticed the crossover, too...I'm another poster over on golden-road.net...been there nearly two years now.  In fact, my current avatar over there is an Exit 38: TPIR Season 38 roadsign I created. :D

I'm...errm...mildly interested. I have my VCR set to record the show, however, ever since the departure of both Bob Barker and former producer Roger Dobkowitz, I feel that the show has gone downhill and has lost a lot of its former glory and spirit.  The new Turntable set isn't that bad, though I still don't see why they needed to change it. Not a fan of the new Contestant's Row displays, though...they look like cheap knockoffs of the old ones.  But that's not a rant for here. :D

Needless to say, I'll be watching the tape once I get off work (my schedule keeps me from watching the show live)...but who knows if I'll keep watching after that. It's...not the same show I grew up with...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

ctsignguy

grew up in the 60s and 70s...the REAL game shows in those days....

I remember when TPIR was originally a 30-min show, but was expanded after a couple of years because of it's popularity...and some extra time available with the cancellation of another show and it seemed to make more sense to expand the current show rather than develop a new one

My favorites during those years...the ORIGINAL Concentration (30 squares, gag prizes, Hugh Downs and Bob Clayton, not the later versions with no gag prizes, no FORFEITS, and they would give away some of the locations before the game started!), Match Game from the 70s, the original Hollywood Squares with Peter Marshall (and Paul Lynde and Rose Marie, stretching the boundaries of Daytime TV)....

Ahhh, those were the days!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

golden eagle

TPIR sucks with Drew Carey.

Roadgeek Adam

I have watched since 1995 (when I was 4)

I would say changes need to be reversed, but some are good.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

ctsignguy

In all fairness to Drew Carey, Bob Barker was such an institution on that show that NOBODY could really replace him....if the show survives, my guess is Carey will be on for another year or two while they look for someone with more spark and energy (and lets face it....the diff between Barker and Carey was like the diff between a wheat-grain light bulb, and a carbon-arc lamp....the brightness just doesnt compare.)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

golden eagle

At least it's not Ryan Seacrest. Now, that show would really suck if he replaced Barker. I'm surprised CBS didn't hire him since he seems to replace everybody other legend out there: Casey Kasem on American Top 40, Rick Dees on Kiss FM in Los Angeles and Dick Clark on the New Year's Eve show on ABC.

codyg1985

I am another roadgeek that enjoys gam eshows, too. I usually always watch TPIR when I am home sick or off on a holiday or something. I really enjoyed it when I was a kid. Drew Carey is okay, but he can't ever hold shoes up to Bob Barker. Punch-a-bunch, Grand Game, Plinko, and Golden Road are among some of my favorite games on TPIR.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Stephane Dumas

I spotted the cliffhanger challenge spoof done in Family Guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwPvX5LPJzI

cu2010

QuoteTPIR sucks with Drew Carey.

It's not so much Drew that's the reason that the show sucks...it's the people above him running it. Season 36 (Drew's first season) was fine, because the host was the only thing that changed. After former producer Roger Dobkowitz was let go at the end of Season 36, the new regime felt the need to take the show "in a new direction", thus ultimately leading to what we see today. And it sucks.

The Season 38 premiere kinda sucked. They played probably the most boring, ordinary games in the world, and set pretty much each and every one of them up for a loss. Not a way to start the new season.  In fact, outside of Drew mentioning about twenty zillion times that there was a new set and all (which isn't that bad save for the new Showcase podiums), it didn't seem like a season premiere at all...just another ordinary, crappy "new direction" TPIR episode.

It's been quite painful watching a show I grew up with and so deeply cherished be thrown straight into the crapper over the past twelve months...

[/TPIR rant]
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Scott5114

I think the best thing about the Season 38 premiere was that they went 0-5 with one technical win awarded due to a screw-up in the prize copy. Perfect way to start a season!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.