News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How fast do you drive?

Started by Bryant5493, April 05, 2009, 04:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I have tested the top speed of all the cars I owned.

My first one, a '94 Toyota Corolla got 190 km/h (120 mph), the second one, a '95 Peugeot 306 got 180 km/h (110 mph) and my current one, an '04 Renault Kangoo business van got 160 km/h (100 mph). All tested legally, since Autobahns in Germany often do not have a speed limit.   :cool:

Tom

Michigan's freeway speed limit is 70 mph, but I set the cruise control at 100 kph (62 mph). :coffee:

deathtopumpkins

I've started speeding more lately... hit 75 in a 35 zone the other day (I-264 approaching the Downtown Tunnel in Norfolk, VA). But I still had people running up on me...  :banghead:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NJRoadfan

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 29, 2009, 03:01:02 PM
I've started speeding more lately... hit 75 in a 35 zone the other day (I-264 approaching the Downtown Tunnel in Norfolk, VA). But I still had people running up on me...  :banghead:

Better watch yourself in VA with those oppressive laws and ridiculous fines. A criminal misdemeanor charge for speeding is ludicrous.

Here in NJ generally the flow on freeways is 75mph, keep it below 80 and nobody bothers you. The notable exception is the NJ Turnpike, the flow is generally 80-90mph depending on the lane, its mostly the NJTA's fault as those extra long skip lines they paint give one the perception they are crawling.

As for VA, I generally don't enter the left lane to pass anyone unless I can clearly see the median is patrol free. The traffic flows annoyingly close to the reckless driving cut off. I know a lot of folks don't particularly care for NJ's highway patrols, but they are pretty reasonable with enforcement and fines compared to most states *cough* Virginia. NJ's reputation comes mostly from the small towns patrolling lesser roads.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 29, 2009, 06:24:08 PM

Better watch yourself in VA with those oppressive laws and ridiculous fines. A criminal misdemeanor charge for speeding is ludicrous.

Here in NJ generally the flow on freeways is 75mph, keep it below 80 and nobody bothers you. The notable exception is the NJ Turnpike, the flow is generally 80-90mph depending on the lane, its mostly the NJTA's fault as those extra long skip lines they paint give one the perception they are crawling.

As for VA, I generally don't enter the left lane to pass anyone unless I can clearly see the median is patrol free. The traffic flows annoyingly close to the reckless driving cut off. I know a lot of folks don't particularly care for NJ's highway patrols, but they are pretty reasonable with enforcement and fines compared to most states *cough* Virginia. NJ's reputation comes mostly from the small towns patrolling lesser roads.

Well I always ensure that I am going a tad bit slower than most of the traffic around me...  ;-) And keep on the lookout for cops. But on the urban interstates around here, it just seems almost impossible to avoid reckless drivers. I can't even count how many people I saw on that one trip down 264 who were texting, making out with the passenger ( :-/ ), eating, etc. Same with the number of near collisions and people who had to be doing above 90.
And some of this was even going on in the Downtown Tunnel/Berkeley Bridge and its approaches (the reason for the 35 speed limit)...

</rant>
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

agentsteel53

heh, I once did 92 in a 15.  Serves San Jose Airport right for totally mislabeling its layout when it was being reconstructed around 2005.  I had a plane to catch, and a terminal to find!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Crazy Volvo Guy

I drive whatever speed I happen to be comfortable with, which fluctuates wildly depending on the road, place and conditions.

In town I usually try to stick to within 5-10 of the posted limit.  On open freeway, I disregard speed limits entirely and my comfort zone is somewhere between 70 and 90 most of the time depending on how I feel.  I generally keep it between 70 and 80.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Chris

How bad are traffic fines in the United States?

If you drive 12 mph over the limit in the Netherlands, you're out $ 155, while the same find will cost you only $ 42 in Germany.

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on June 30, 2009, 09:59:50 AM
How bad are traffic fines in the United States?

If you drive 12 mph over the limit in the Netherlands, you're out $ 155, while the same find will cost you only $ 42 in Germany.

The last two tickets I got, over 3 years ago, I was able to go to "traffic school" and the total cost was somewhere between $50 and $100 each.

I think that the range you quoted is valid here though it's more likely to be toward the high end.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mightyace

Well, traffic in greater Nashville falls into two classes, the ridiculously reckless like Deathtopumpkins said and the fabulously fainthearted.

You have one group of people who wants to run 55-65 and the other group who wants to run 80+ (speed limit 70).

That makes it especially frustrating because on the 4-lane sections of freeway here if you don't fall into either group.

SSOWorld

depends on the state.  Most states have a "Absolute limit" meaning 1 mph technically is a speeding violation - but most states dont ticket for less than 5 over despite that (some localities will though - I've seen or heard of some in WI that do)  many consider a higher overspeed reckless driving as well.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

In NY traffic always falls into those two classes on four lane roads.  Oddly, when you get to six lanes or more, everybody wants to do 70 mph and above.  Doing the speed limit is an invitation to frustration.

In NY you can generally go up to 10 mph above the speed limit without worry on freeways (unless a police officer needs to get their quota of tickets in) on a car (though I've heard that police check for above 68 mph regardless of speed limit); buses can go up to 80 without trouble.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 30, 2009, 02:11:52 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 29, 2009, 06:24:08 PM

Well I always ensure that I am going a tad bit slower than most of the traffic around me...  ;-) And keep on the lookout for cops. But on the urban interstates around here, it just seems almost impossible to avoid reckless drivers. I can't even count how many people I saw on that one trip down 264 who were texting, making out with the passenger ( :-/ ), eating, etc. Same with the number of near collisions and people who had to be doing above 90.
And some of this was even going on in the Downtown Tunnel/Berkeley Bridge and its approaches (the reason for the 35 speed limit)...

</rant>
I agree on I-95 and I-295 in VA today the cops were all over and it seemed like another Operation Land, Air , and Speed
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

deathtopumpkins

Well they're out in force today because it's the 4th of July!  :-D Roads over here are crawling with cops.

Truvelo

When I was in Ontario last month I saw plenty of these signs. I wonder if anyone really has got this penalty.

For example, in the UK causing death by dangerous driving is supposed to carry a max £5000 fine and 6 years in prison but in reality all you would get is a small fine and 3 year prison sentence which means you'll be out in 18 months because prison sentences are halved if your behaviour is good. Oh yeah, the driving ban runs concurrently with the prison term so if you have an 18 month ban you'll get your licence back when you come out of prison X-(

Speed limits limit life

algorerhythms

Quote from: Truvelo on July 05, 2009, 01:26:38 PM
When I was in Ontario last month I saw plenty of these signs. I wonder if anyone really has got this penalty.

Last time I was in Canada (about 8 years ago), my idiot of a cousin, who was traveling in a different car than I was, didn't realize the signs were in km/h rather than in miles per hour. He got pulled over for doing 160 km/h in a 100 km/h zone and got a nice hefty fine for it. On the same trip, he somehow managed to take a wrong ramp in Toronto and we saw him pass by us on the freeway going the opposite direction.

agentsteel53

looks like, in the distance, the limit is 100.  So anyone caught doing 150 (which is about 90mph) is given ... that.  Not cool.  Looks like the kind of road on which you could drive 90mph safely if the traffic levels are low.  That is, after all, what freeways are designed for.

speeding needs to not be a crime.  Reckless driving, on the other hand ...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

Doing 150 in Canada = 10,000 dollar fine
Doing 190 in Germany = legal

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on July 08, 2009, 04:07:47 PM
Doing 240+ (150mph+) in a stock car at a "driving experience" = priceless  :clap:

Truvelo

Quote from: Chris on July 08, 2009, 04:07:47 PM

And what makes it worse is that the Autobahns are a lot busier so doing 190 on a rural Canadian freeway should be made legal :-/
Speed limits limit life

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 27, 2009, 05:05:31 PM
90 if I can get away with it.  Usually, I can.

You need to teach me this sometime.  Hell, write a book: How to Drive 90 MPH and Get Away With It by Danger Moose.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

golden eagle

If I'm driving a long distance, I do about 80 and only if it's daytime. I tend to go slower at night in case I can't see the cops in time to slow down.

I rented a Volkswagen Jetta two years ago to drive to Memphis and that car can go! I was doing 85-90 most of the way up there. I even found myself doing 100 around big trucks  :wow: !!

Bryant5493

Quote from: golden eagleIf I'm driving a long distance, I do about 80 and only if it's daytime. I tend to go slower at night in case I can't see the cops in time to slow down.

I'm the same way. Speeding tickets are too damned expensive.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.