News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJ on January 11, 2016, 09:30:32 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 09, 2016, 03:07:58 PM
Quote from: NJ on January 07, 2016, 01:58:50 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 07, 2016, 01:24:19 PM
Cape May
Great Egg
New Gretna
Barnegate
Toms River
Asbury Park
Raritan
Union
Essex
Bergen
Pasack Valley(Formerly Hillsdale)

Should be eliminated  :ded:
Agreed as its way too close to Pasack Valley.  Also to note just south of it is Exit 157 that is the midway point to the Essex Toll plaza though not by a long shot half way.  The Parkway likes to place ramp tolls most NB for off and SB on north of Union due to the amount of commuters using the highway.  The same goes south of the Raritan River, where the ramp tolls are all SB off and NB on due to commuters and shore patrons traveling in that direction instead of going north.

$1.50 toll is ridiculous as well... 25 cents should be enough

And I should be able to see a double feature movie, get a popcorn and soda for 50 cents as well.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NJ on January 11, 2016, 09:30:32 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 09, 2016, 03:07:58 PM
Quote from: NJ on January 07, 2016, 01:58:50 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 07, 2016, 01:24:19 PM
Cape May
Great Egg
New Gretna
Barnegate
Toms River
Asbury Park
Raritan
Union
Essex
Bergen
Pasack Valley(Formerly Hillsdale)

Should be eliminated  :ded:
Agreed as its way too close to Pasack Valley.  Also to note just south of it is Exit 157 that is the midway point to the Essex Toll plaza though not by a long shot half way.  The Parkway likes to place ramp tolls most NB for off and SB on north of Union due to the amount of commuters using the highway.  The same goes south of the Raritan River, where the ramp tolls are all SB off and NB on due to commuters and shore patrons traveling in that direction instead of going north.

$1.50 toll is ridiculous as well... 25 cents should be enough

Based on what?  It was 25¢ for 37 years, meaning that when it went up in 1989, motorists had already received an 80% discount thanks to inflation.  A 25¢ toll today would be 3¢ in 1952 dollars. 

Furthermore, to compare apples to apples, this is a $1.50 toll that used to be 50¢, since it is now a "round-trip" toll.  And with reality factored in (that pesky inflation factor), you're still paying 66 percent less than in 1952.

Why is the automatic answer to everything always "I should have to pay less"?  Society works better when we decide to be adults about public policy.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 11, 2016, 03:38:31 PM

Based on what?  It was 25¢ for 37 years, meaning that when it went up in 1989, motorists had already received an 80% discount thanks to inflation.  A 25¢ toll today would be 3¢ in 1952 dollars. 

Furthermore, to compare apples to apples, this is a $1.50 toll that used to be 50¢, since it is now a "round-trip" toll.  And with reality factored in (that pesky inflation factor), you're still paying 66 percent less than in 1952.

Why is the automatic answer to everything always "I should have to pay less"?  Society works better when we decide to be adults about public policy.

The tolls are still cheap by standard, so I'm content with $1.50 on the mainline barriers.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on January 11, 2016, 04:47:04 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 11, 2016, 03:38:31 PM

The tolls are still cheap by standard, so I'm content with $1.50 on the mainline barriers.
Not to mention that those are one-way tolls.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NJRoadfan

The GSP is the cheapest toll road to drive when factoring in the toll cost per mile. I think the NJ Turnpike is 2nd or 3rd, even after the recent increases! At least there is visible major investment of the tolls back into the roadways unlike some other agency's roadways.

bzakharin

The AC Expressway is $3.75 for the entire length (44 miles). That's 8.5 cents per mile. The turnpike is 11.8 cents per mile (northern half is a lot more expensive than southern half, though). Calculating the total for the parkway is harder, so I won't do that now. But at the very least the ACE is cheaper than the Parkway, and still, paying $6 per day (I don't drive the length, obviously) every day adds up.

NJRoadfan

GSP going in either direction is $8.25 in barrier tolls, about 4.8 cents per mile using 172 miles as the total length of the roadway. Excluding the "free" sections (exits 129-140, 80-83, 9-11) gives you 5.3 cents a mile. Depending on what ramp you enter/exit the roadway it could be even cheaper. The fare "zone" of ramp tolls between Exits 89 and 98 are all the same price for example.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 11, 2016, 06:40:57 PM
GSP going in either direction is $8.25 in barrier tolls, about 4.8 cents per mile using 172 miles as the total length of the roadway. Excluding the "free" sections (exits 129-140, 80-83, 9-11) gives you 5.3 cents a mile. Depending on what ramp you enter/exit the roadway it could be even cheaper. The fare "zone" of ramp tolls between Exits 89 and 98 are all the same price for example.

It's really not even worth trying to factor in 'free' sections, because they vary widely.  One can go from Exits 0 - 11, 11 - 0, 4 - 11 and 11 - 4 without paying a penny.  But go from 0 - 4 or 4 - 0 and it'll cost you 50 cents (12.5 cents per mile).  Or I can get on at the ACE (Exit 38) and go north to Exit 50 (New Gretna) and never pay anything either.  But, get on at the ACE and go South to Exit 30, and I pay $1.50 (18.75 cents per mile)!

Alps

Parkway costs are much lower than the other roadways due to the truck prohibitions. Even south of exit 105 where trucks are allowed, their percentages are minimal.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 11, 2016, 09:04:27 PM

It's really not even worth trying to factor in 'free' sections, because they vary widely.  One can go from Exits 0 - 11, 11 - 0, 4 - 11 and 11 - 4 without paying a penny.  But go from 0 - 4 or 4 - 0 and it'll cost you 50 cents (12.5 cents per mile).  Or I can get on at the ACE (Exit 38) and go north to Exit 50 (New Gretna) and never pay anything either.  But, get on at the ACE and go South to Exit 30, and I pay $1.50 (18.75 cents per mile)!

Yeah, I've always wondered what the logic with GSP's tolls was. At least with the ACE it sort of makes sense. The biggest irregularity is Exit 9 which adds 75 cents regardless of which direction you are exiting or entering. They advertise gas at that exit too, so if you take exit to get gas and get back on it's $1.50 extra. Of course you could travel 2 more miles and pay nothing to exit and re-enter (via Exit 7 on the ACE to GSP Exit 37)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on January 12, 2016, 10:11:56 AM

Yeah, I've always wondered what the logic with GSP's tolls was. At least with the ACE it sort of makes sense. The biggest irregularity is Exit 9 which adds 75 cents regardless of which direction you are exiting or entering. They advertise gas at that exit too, so if you take exit to get gas and get back on it's $1.50 extra. Of course you could travel 2 more miles and pay nothing to exit and re-enter (via Exit 7 on the ACE to GSP Exit 37)

You could go from Exit 14 to 17 or 17 to 14, which would be $3.00 each way ($1/mile).

The cheapest toll per mile is Exit 44 to Exit 28, 16 miles, 75 cents (4.7 cents per mile).  Or, you could drive Eastbound from any exit west of the Farley Service Plaza, make a U-turn, then exit Westbound without paying anything.  At minimum though, that will add about 16 miles to the trip.  Gas would need to be under $1 to even consider making that worthwhile.

For truckers taking Exit 28 Eastbound (or entering Exit 28 Westbound), the savings are huge.  The ramp plazas used to be one rate for cars; one rate for trucks, and each had their own toll lane.  When the Expressway started accepting EZ Pass, they decided to do away with the truck rate, and made one lane EZ Pass Only, one lane cash.  Since it's all coins, the truck rate dropped to be the same as the car rate.  This is not true at the barrier plazas, where trucks are charged rates based on their axles.

Thus, a truck of any size going from Rt. 42 to Exit 28 pays 75 cents (4.7 cents per mile; probably by far the cheapest truck toll rate anywhere).  But, a truck continuing beyond Exit 28 goes thru the Egg Harbor tolls, and will have to pay $9, which brings it up to 33 cents a mile!

NJ

So basically going from Bergen County (Paramus) to Atlantic City; how much will tolls cost round-trip?

Pete from Boston

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 12, 2016, 11:01:47 AM

You could go from Exit 14 to 17 or 17 to 14, which would be $3.00 each way ($1/mile).

The cheapest toll per mile is Exit 44 to Exit 28, 16 miles, 75 cents (4.7 cents per mile).  Or, you could drive Eastbound from any exit west of the Farley Service Plaza, make a U-turn, then exit Westbound without paying anything.  At minimum though, that will add about 16 miles to the trip.  Gas would need to be under $1 to even consider making that worthwhile.

For truckers taking Exit 28 Eastbound (or entering Exit 28 Westbound), the savings are huge.  The ramp plazas used to be one rate for cars; one rate for trucks, and each had their own toll lane.  When the Expressway started accepting EZ Pass, they decided to do away with the truck rate, and made one lane EZ Pass Only, one lane cash.  Since it's all coins, the truck rate dropped to be the same as the car rate.  This is not true at the barrier plazas, where trucks are charged rates based on their axles.

Thus, a truck of any size going from Rt. 42 to Exit 28 pays 75 cents (4.7 cents per mile; probably by far the cheapest truck toll rate anywhere).  But, a truck continuing beyond Exit 28 goes thru the Egg Harbor tolls, and will have to pay $9, which brings it up to 33 cents a mile!
Despite what has been said on this board before, I'm 99% sure there is no way to make a (legal) U-tun at the service plaza. All stores, gas station, etc have separate entrances / parking for eastbound and westbound traffic.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on January 12, 2016, 12:39:03 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 12, 2016, 11:01:47 AM

Despite what has been said on this board before, I'm 99% sure there is no way to make a (legal) U-tun at the service plaza. All stores, gas station, etc have separate entrances / parking for eastbound and westbound traffic.

Sure there is:  https://goo.gl/maps/dqEq3h95n462  There's even line striping to help guide one around the gas station.  And this GSV image on the EB side of the plaza shows signage directing motorists to the WB direction.  https://goo.gl/maps/yPMqZowjyRA2

bzakharin

My memory must be playing tricks on me. I'm not going to verify since the GSV is from just last year.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on January 12, 2016, 12:54:29 PM
My memory must be playing tricks on me. I'm not going to verify since the GSV is from just last year.

There's a few service plazas on the PA Turnpike that, although used by both directions, are barriered to prevent traffic from making a U-turn.

ekt8750

Drive any considerable distance on the PA Turnpike and then comeback to me with how expensive the GSP.  :rolleyes:

noelbotevera

Quote from: ekt8750 on January 12, 2016, 01:54:29 PM
Drive any considerable distance on the PA Turnpike and then comeback to me with how expensive the GSP.  :rolleyes:
Now do it again with today's prices!  :sombrero:

NJRoadfan

The southern part of the GSP from Exit 30 down to the end is having sign replacements done. All ground mounted. US-9 shields on a majority of the signs as well. Very little of the "cracker jack" NJHA signs remain.

jwolfer

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 18, 2016, 06:07:04 PM
The southern part of the GSP from Exit 30 down to the end is having sign replacements done. All ground mounted. US-9 shields on a majority of the signs as well. Very little of the "cracker jack" NJHA signs remain.
So are you saying US 9 is now routed in GSP? Or just TO 9 on BGS

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jwolfer on January 19, 2016, 01:11:33 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 18, 2016, 06:07:04 PM
So are you saying US 9 is now routed in GSP? Or just TO 9 on BGS

Per the latest Straight Line Diagrams (which may not be absolutely completely accurate), US 9 still follows the Beesleys Point Bridge, which doesn't exist.  For all effective purposes though, US 9 multiplexes with the GSP from Exit 30 to Exit 25.

If you are heading north on US 9 south of the Beesleys Point Bridge, there isn't any signage directing motorists to/from former US 9's route.  The best you get (as of the latest GSV) is a sign stating the bridge is closed; use the Parkway instead: https://goo.gl/maps/Kf7yuDkHaLn

The rest of the way, US 9 and the Parkway are close enough that I could see some 'To US 9' signage being used on the BGSs.

roadman65

I do not know why they just do not build another new interchange south of the bridge.  The roads are close enough and they could use the old ROW from the previous days before the Great Egg Bridge was built to avoid the EPA studies as the area is been graded for several decades. 

However, look how long it took SCDOT to sign US 15/301 over I-95 in Santee, SC when they closed its bridge over Lake Marion.  The same situation exists, except the old bridge is still in use for fishing and recreation.  There is, although, no US 15 shield at the SB Exit 97 where US 15 leaves I-95 with US 301.  So even there is still not accurate for following US 15 southbound anyway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hubcity

It's almost tempting to suggest that US 9 be routed to close the gap by having it serve Ocean City, via NJ 52, County 656 and Roosevelt Boulevard.

Almost.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on January 19, 2016, 11:53:56 AM
I do not know why they just do not build another new interchange south of the bridge.  The roads are close enough and they could use the old ROW from the previous days before the Great Egg Bridge was built to avoid the EPA studies as the area is been graded for several decades. 

However, look how long it took SCDOT to sign US 15/301 over I-95 in Santee, SC when they closed its bridge over Lake Marion.  The same situation exists, except the old bridge is still in use for fishing and recreation.  There is, although, no US 15 shield at the SB Exit 97 where US 15 leaves I-95 with US 301.  So even there is still not accurate for following US 15 southbound anyway.

New studies would be required anyway, regardless of what's taken place in the past.  There's really no significant room to build an interchange, and it would be expensive due to the bay's location.   Since everything on former Rt. 9 can be accessed at Exit 25, there's no need to build such an interchange anyway, as there's not a significant demand where people *must* follow Rt. 9's former routing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.