News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Eventual tolling and reduced speed limits proposed by Bay Area MTC

Started by jdbx, August 18, 2020, 03:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 21, 2020, 12:34:16 AM
Quote from: michravera on August 20, 2020, 11:08:58 PM
This usually means "something like the 85th percentile" unless there is something really unusual about the road.
Again, tell this to anywhere on the East Coast  :-D
I find your charcterization of 55 mph sections too generalized.  What you say about lack of enforcement may apply to rural sections of 55 mph roads (I-84).  However, urban sections are enforced (e.g., both I-90 and NY 85 in the Albany area).

I find the majority of traffic on 55 mph roads in urban areas in the East to travel somewhere around 65 mph.  You do have some cars that drive faster than that, but on average, I find myself passing a  significant number of cars if I push 70 or so.

And, to be fair, I do wonder if traffic speeds are creeping up on "Free 90," despite the usual speed traps just to the east of Exit 24, at NY 85 or at the top the hill west of US 9.

But, like I said, on I-84 and the like, sure, all bets are off. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

michravera

Quote from: sparker on August 21, 2020, 06:25:59 AM
Quote from: michravera on August 21, 2020, 01:42:07 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on August 21, 2020, 12:34:16 AM
Quote from: michravera on August 20, 2020, 11:08:58 PM
This usually means "something like the 85th percentile" unless there is something really unusual about the road.
Again, tell this to anywhere on the East Coast  :-D

CVC 22358.5:
It is the intent of the Legislature that physical conditions such as width, curvature, grade and surface conditions, or any other condition readily apparent to a driver, in the absence of other factors, would not require special downward speed zoning, as the basic rule of section 22350 is sufficient regulation as to such conditions.

CVC 22350:
No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

That last phrase of CVD 22350 is a bit troublesome, and might well serve as the instigation -- if applied by a jurisdiction wishing to lower speed limits to a minimal (i.e. 15-20 mph) level due to a perception that anything exceeding that poses a risk to pedestrians or cyclists.  The "reasonable & prudent" edict -- which used to be applied to rural roads lacking basic speed limits in the pre-55-maximum days (1974-87; Montana was famous for such, applied to Interstates as well as conventional rural highways), could conceivably be wielded by cities -- and effectively "turned on its head" -- to effect a blanket lowering of street speeds in the name of safety.  I'd expect a rash of litigation would that occur.  Question: as this particular phrase is part of the CA vehicle code, are there similar codicils in other states?  I know that in parts of Seattle a program of general street speed reduction is being considered or even deployed in the field; does the language of the WA vehicle codes allow or even enhance such a course of action?

CVC 22351-5 don't permit signing below 25 per hour unless the street is less than 25 feet in width.

stevashe

Quote from: sparker on August 21, 2020, 06:25:59 AM
Question: as this particular phrase is part of the CA vehicle code, are there similar codicils in other states?  I know that in parts of Seattle a program of general street speed reduction is being considered or even deployed in the field; does the language of the WA vehicle codes allow or even enhance such a course of action?

RCW 46.61.415 allows cities to set speed limits between 20 and 60 mph, with or without "an engineering and traffic investigation" with the only limitation that 20 mph speeds be reserved for non-arterials. Seattle's ongoing effort to post most arterials at 25 and the previous lowering of the default non-arterial limit to 20 mph would thus be supported by state law. As for enhancing, RCW 46.61.400 gives a basic speed limit of 25 mph on "city and town streets" which could be interpreted as encouraging that speed as the default within cities.

jrouse

Quote from: jdbx on August 18, 2020, 03:40:41 PM
I just read a rather disturbing article:  https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/local/new-highway-tolling-eyed-in-bay-area/article_76f88c4e-e106-11ea-a1db-0b8015584f6c.html

As part of a long-term planning exercise, the Bay Area MTC is proposing congestion pricing on all lanes of freeways where mass transit is an available option, as well as reducing speed limits to 55 MPH.  I'm sure that both of these proposals are going to be very unpopular, especially the tolling of general purpose freeway lanes.  My personal prediction is that these proposals are going to be taken off the table pretty quickly, especially if they are unable to get buy-in from the various counties.
As the article implies, the full tolling of freeways is being proposed because they need to find some way to make sure their regional transportation plan complies with state-mandated GHG reduction goals.  There are major legal and political hurdles to jump through before this would become a reality.

kkt

My impression living in Seattle is that lowering the speed limits has not been accompanied by lowering the speeds drivers drive, and not by a greater enforcement effort by Seattle Police. 

There does seem to be an increase in stupid maneuvers - unsafe passing on 2-lane roads - taken to go around cars that are following the posted speed limit.

The main way to get a speeding ticket in Seattle is in a school zone when the school is about to open or is letting out and the lights are flashing, indicating automatic ticketing by license plate.  There's still a grace of about 4 mph, so the 20 mph school zone is really a 24 mph zone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.