News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highway Fatality Counters

Started by Max Rockatansky, June 03, 2019, 11:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Highway fatality counters were a somewhat common thing in southern Florida.  I used to encounter numerous signs along US 1 in the Florida Keys and Krome Avenue on FL 997, what other examples do other states use if any?

997FLe by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

thspfc

I've never seen one anywhere, though lots of states say "xxx fatalities on [state]'s roads this year" on electronic signs.

webny99

Yes, I was going to mention Ohio's use of VMS's.
I've never seen a permanent sign like the one in the OP.

formulanone

Collier County used to have counters for Florida Panthers along Tamiami Trail and SR 29, especially when the wild population dipped as low as 30 or so.

Here's another shot from the south end of Krome Avenue, headed north in January 2018:

Flint1979

Michigan has them on the electronic message boards.

jay8g

Washington has a few "Days since last serious collision" signs, which serve basically the same purpose.

allniter89

Delaware had signs outside of DSP Post that showed fatalities so far this year also fatalities to date last year.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Road Hog

Texas also posts the count regularly on its VMS's.

Additionally, they also occasionally post DRINK DRIVE GO TO JAIL, which I get a kick out of because the British term for operating a vehicle while intoxicated is called "drink-driving."

sparker

Sort of reminds me of the signs that some industries (largely railroads at their yard facilities) posted stating "X days without an on-the-job injury".  Of course, those usually got reset several times per year -- particularly the UP West Colton yard (the sign was visible from I-10), which I passed daily in the mid-2000's. 

Ian

Quote from: allniter89 on June 09, 2019, 04:41:38 AM
Delaware had signs outside of DSP Post that showed fatalities so far this year also fatalities to date last year.

Not the same thing, but Delaware also has their DUI # KILLED HERE signs.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Illinois and Iowa will posts fatalities this year on their Vms.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 3467 on June 10, 2019, 08:48:56 AM
Illinois and Iowa will posts fatalities this year on their Vms.

It must be a contest.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

US71

Arkansas used to along US 71:

xx People killed in the last 5 years,
Don't you be next.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.