News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadtrip report: Tulsa to Mena and back

Started by bugo, December 03, 2014, 08:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I drove from Tulsa, Oklahoma to Mena, Arkansas and back for my birthday. Here are a few notes:

- The new signs on the BA (OK 51) mentioning OK 351 are in the FHWA font, not Clearview. Hopefully this trend will continue.
- OK 351 is discontinuous through Muskogee. There is an END OK 351/JCT OK 165 assembly at the end of the western segment of the Muskogee Turnpike. There is also an assembly NB/EB on the Muskogee Turnpike on the south side of Muskogee that says JCT OK 165 END OK 351. On the north side of Muskogee, the signs are reversed: END OK 165 JCT OK 351. OK 351 is not signed through Muskogee, except for a sign on EB Chandler Road (this sign: http://goo.gl/maps/rq0kj with an OK 351 sign instead of the Muskogee Turnpike sign. At the south end of the Muskogee bypass, there is a sign that says JCT OK 351.
- The green signs on I-40 for OK 10 and 100 were finally replaced by meat cleavers. The old signs were round for OK 10 and capsule shaped for OK 100 with black outlines. The new OK 100 meat cleavers on the I-40 offramps are huge, taking up nearly 1/4 of the sign.
- I-40 down to 2 lanes east of Dwight Mission Road. The eastbound lanes are carrying both directions of traffic.
- US 59/271 has been repaved south of OK 9.
- The double yellow lines on the newly paved stretch of road are wider than traditional OK double yellow lines but they're still very close together. Whether this is the new standard or just an anomaly is unknown.
- US 271 is still poorly signed along US 59 north of Poteau.

That's about all I can think of for now.

Scott5114

One wonders why SH-351 was not made continuous and SH-165 given the ax.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 01, 2015, 08:30:53 AM
One wonders why SH-351 was not made continuous and SH-165 given the ax.

165 loops back to 69 on the south end of town so it likely couldn't be totally dropped unless the E-W portion was redesignated a different number.

Google maps, BTW, show 165/351 co-signed at Muskogee along the N-S part.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: US71 on January 01, 2015, 10:12:11 AM
Google maps, BTW, show 165/351 co-signed at Muskogee along the N-S part.

Signage indicates otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if 351 were eventually signed on 165 and 165 were dropped, but currently 351 is discontinuous (as is the Muskogee Turnpike).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.