News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: plain on November 13, 2018, 07:29:36 AM
I like this project as well, both of these expressways need sprucing up. I think it also shows how well RMTA is doing as a toll agency (the last toll hike was around 2004ish, maybe?), even with none of the tolls being over 70 cents.

Well that does work out to 20 cents per mile to use each expressway, 70 cents each, and no commuter discounts.

I would like to see VDOT rehab the Acca Yards viaduct on I-195.  The roadway decks need spot repairs although they might want to go ahead perform a full milling and latex concrete overlay project.  If you have been underneath the bridge you can see lots of serious rust at the end of girders and on the bearing seats.  They really need to fully strip and repaint all the steel structure, and do it soon before the rust advances to the point of more serious problems.   This bridge opened in 1975 so it is aging.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on November 12, 2018, 10:47:56 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 12, 2018, 10:22:24 PM
The lights on the outside of the general-purpose lanes seemed to be out as well, though—no overhead lights at all in that area.

How long have they been out?

I don't know. I usually take the Metro to work unless we have a Caps game. Yesterday was an exception due to the Metro closure coupled with the federal holiday. I know they were out last Wednesday when we were coming home from a game, though it didn't strike me as much at the time because it wasn't raining.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Beltway on November 10, 2018, 10:39:06 AM
I see that the Richmond Metropolitan Authority (RMA) has a project to refinish the surface of the retaining walls, bridge parapets, bridge abutments and median barriers on the Downtown Expressway and Powhite Parkway.  This is very good, because they are 40+ years old and concrete deteriorates and they had darkened with a streaked effect from the weather and rain over the years, and were looking unsightly, and deeper deterioration was beginning to occur.

I looked at one of the parapets from where I could touch it, and it looks like a whitish material that combines paint with some kind of acrylic material, rolled on with a brush as a liquid, and then hardened.  Looks very durable and very nice!

Actually the name is now Richmond Metropolitan Transportation Authority (RMTA), and this is a recent change, and it makes sense as even back in the 1970s I thought that the original name was too general as it didn't have any reference to highways or transportation.  The authority was created in the late 1960s for the specific purpose of building the tolled expressway system.

The RMTA has really stepped up their game when it comes to maintenance of their highways and bridges. The relatively recent resurfacing of VA 195 and VA 76 has made those roads very smooth rides. Hopefully they're able to continue making such high quality improvements.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 13, 2018, 08:21:41 AM
I don't know. I usually take the Metro to work unless we have a Caps game. Yesterday was an exception due to the Metro closure coupled with the federal holiday. I know they were out last Wednesday when we were coming home from a game, though it didn't strike me as much at the time because it wasn't raining.

If short-term it is possible it wasn't construction related.  I've seen segments of lights go out for days at a time on Richmond freeways, and while I didn't ask to find out why, there may have been damage due to accident or flooding, they are vulnerable to that.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

webny99

Maybe someone here can enlighten me as to what is going on with I-95 between DC and Richmond.

I have been browsing Google Maps a lot this weekend, spotting trends in live traffic around the country and so on. Among my outstanding observations: This stretch of I-95 seems to be among the most persistently congested interstates (outside of major metropolitan areas) in the entire US. It has basically been orange/red during every daylight hour since Wednesday, despite at least six lanes throughout and no apparent construction. There were even times (such as midday Friday) when the entirety of both Baltimore and DC were largely traffic-free, with no significant delays, yet I-95 between DC and Richmond was showing congested.

Is there a lot of Thanksgiving travel on this corridor specifically, compared to the rest of the US, or is something else going on?

froggie

Just a lot of holiday weekend travel.

Rothman

I-95 south of DC is always miserable.  Always.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on November 25, 2018, 03:17:21 PM

No it is not.  9 times out of 10 when I use it the traffic conditions are acceptable or better.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Mapmikey

Traffic on I-95 in this part of Virginia picks up between Thanksgiving and New Years with a lot of pass-through holiday traffic, snowbirds, Bowl Game travelers, etc.

When it is not holidays or summer weekends, the traffic on 95 is very busy and absent of a problem moves freely between Richmond and Fredericksburg.  North of Fredericksburg has issues without problems more often.  Even during freely moving periods it is pretty crowded (enough that my wife almost always asks me to bail).

AADT from I-295 Richmond to VA 3 Fredericksburg ranges from 102k-135k (2017, both directions combined) and from VA 3 to the Capital Beltway ranges from 134k-262k.
If you look at AADT for 6-lane segment (I-295 to VA 123) vs. 8 lane then it is 102k-206k (6 lane) and 211k-262k (8 lanes)

Jmiles32

Quote from: Beltway on November 25, 2018, 03:43:47 PM

No it is not.  9 times out of 10 when I use it the traffic conditions are acceptable or better.

Haven't you advocated in other threads that I-95 be at least 8 lanes from I-295 to VA-123? Guarantee that the average I-95 commuter would say that 9 times out of 10 there is always traffic somewhere on I-95 north Fredericksburg. South of Fredericksburg, I agree that the traffic conditions on I-95 are acceptable with the lone exception being the I-95/I-295 merge north of Richmond. There needs to be a 4th northbound lane from there all the way to at least VA-54.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on November 25, 2018, 07:38:02 PM
9 times out of 10 when I use it the traffic conditions are acceptable or better.
Haven't you advocated in other threads that I-95 be at least 8 lanes from I-295 to VA-123? Guarantee that the average I-95 commuter would say that 9 times out of 10 there is always traffic somewhere on I-95 north Fredericksburg. South of Fredericksburg, I agree that the traffic conditions on I-95 are acceptable with the lone exception being the I-95/I-295 merge north of Richmond. There needs to be a 4th northbound lane from there all the way to at least VA-54.

Yes, I said that it needs 4 general purpose lanes between I-295 and I-495.  That is needed for peak period travel.  There are many daily hours that are off peak where 3 lanes can handle the traffic, but that doesn't help the peak traffic.

Commuter traffic north of Fredericksburg indeed has congestion spots that can vary in location.  North of Garrisonville there is additional capacity in the reversible roadway.

Lowest I-95 AADT between I-295 and I-495 is now 102,000 ... in a very rural area ... amazing ...

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Jmiles32

Quote from: Beltway on November 25, 2018, 08:06:45 PM
Lowest I-95 AADT between I-295 and I-495 is now 102,000 ... in a very rural area ... amazing ...

That very rural area likely won't stay that way for much longer. In fact, there is a decent argument to be made that at this point the larger so-called BosWash megalopolis already extends down south to Richmond. Regarding I-95, I wouldn't be surprised if due to the increasingly high traffic counts on both I-95 and US-301, that the Ruther Glen interchange(Exit 104), one day becomes just another southbound chokepoint. A potential solution would be to either perhaps improve the interchange or widen I-95 south of there to 8 lanes.

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on November 25, 2018, 08:34:22 PM

That very rural area likely won't stay that way for much longer. In fact, there is a decent argument to be made that at this point the larger so-called BosWash megalopolis already extends down south to Richmond. Regarding I-95, I wouldn't be surprised if due to the increasingly high traffic counts on both I-95 and US-301, that the Ruther Glen interchange(Exit 104), one day becomes just another southbound chokepoint. A potential solution would be to either perhaps improve the interchange or widen I-95 south of there to 8 lanes.

The area between Doswell and Thornburg should remain rural for the foreseeable future.  Other than selected exurban developments there won't be much.

Interstate and interregional traffic what drives the volumes on that segment of I-95.  Huge volumes of long-distance traffic.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Jmiles32

Quote from: Beltway on November 25, 2018, 09:55:23 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on November 25, 2018, 08:34:22 PM

The area between Doswell and Thornburg should remain rural for the foreseeable future.  Other than selected exurban developments there won't be much.

Interstate and interregional traffic what drives the volumes on that segment of I-95.  Huge volumes of long-distance traffic.

Which is exactly why I could see that area becoming extremely attractive for 100+ job distribution centers. IMO that section of I-95 is very similar to the stretch from Aberdeen, MD to the Delaware State line(rural with many growing small towns nearby) and has just as much economic potential. Not saying it will happen, just that it appears to be trending that way and I would hope VA is prepared in case it does.

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on November 25, 2018, 10:20:42 PM
Quote from: Beltway on November 25, 2018, 09:55:23 PM
Which is exactly why I could see that area becoming extremely attractive for 100+ job distribution centers. IMO that section of I-95 is very similar to the stretch from Aberdeen, MD to the Delaware State line(rural with many growing small towns nearby) and has just as much economic potential. Not saying it will happen, just that it appears to be trending that way and I would hope VA is prepared in case it does.

The ones in Maryland area larger, in the realm of small cities -- Abingdon, Aberdeen, Havre DeGrace, Perryville, and Elkton.  In addition to a number of small towns.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

webny99

Quote from: froggie on November 25, 2018, 02:02:35 PM

Amazing, indeed, and I think that answers my question.

It was mentioned upthread that the Bos-Wash corridor really should include DC to Richmond. I think I agree. Volumes over 100K are basically unheard of in rural areas, leading me to conclude that this corridor is basically an extension of the East Coast megalopolis.

Beltway

Quote from: webny99 on November 26, 2018, 01:22:43 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 25, 2018, 02:02:35 PM
Amazing, indeed, and I think that answers my question.
It was mentioned upthread that the Bos-Wash corridor really should include DC to Richmond. I think I agree. Volumes over 100K are basically unheard of in rural areas, leading me to conclude that this corridor is basically an extension of the East Coast megalopolis.

The Northeast megalopolis extends to Maine in the north and to Norfolk in the south.  This has been the case at least since the 1970s when I first read about it.

"It includes the major cities of Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C., along with their metropolitan areas and suburbs, as well as many smaller urban centers such as Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia to the South and Portland, Maine to the North."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis

This section was widened to 6 lanes (3 each way) back in the 1980s, Ashland to Triangle, 58 miles, from 1980-1987.  It was surprising to see the need for 6 lanes over 30 years ago.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

I agree with this.  North of Fredericksburg is the stretch of Interstate I most dread driving in the entire country.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2018, 09:24:02 AM
I agree with this.  North of Fredericksburg is the stretch of Interstate I most dread driving in the entire country.

Are you trolling, neurotic or what?   This is one of the most advanced highway designs in the world, speaking particularly of north of Garrisonville, although expansion is underway now down to Fredericksburg.  Do you ever drive in New York City, with some of its "Interstates" being some of the most substandard and frightening highways anywhere?  Work on fixing your own state before you comment on others.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

BrianP

I agree.  Coming through there on summer weekends is endless crawling traffic. It gets bad enough that sometimes I go out to Warrenton to go around it. 

Rothman

Quote from: Beltway on November 27, 2018, 09:43:03 AM

Are you trolling, neurotic or what?   This is one of the most advanced highway designs in the world, speaking particularly of north of Garrisonville, although expansion is underway now down to Fredericksburg.  Do you ever drive in New York City, with some of its "Interstates" being some of the most substandard and frightening highways anywhere?  Work on fixing your own state before you comment on others.
To answer your question and unwarranted personal attack:  No.

The last few times I have driven down that stretch, the reversible lanes were mismanaged and unable to respond to obvious unidirectional congestion.  You could count the cars going the other way with your fingers, so it wasn't some perception issue where "the lanes were working properly because it was free flow in their direction."  No, they were open in the wrong direction, so all the fancy design in the world still fails the travelling public on that stretch of I-95 between DC and Fredericksburg.  It would have been better just to have added regular capacity than just fill the pockets of an operator.

At least there are legitimate reasons for NYC's lingering congestion, which has actually lessened over the years.  Lane mismanagement and lack of ability to address the congestion on I-95, partially due to noncompetition clauses with the operator, are just ridiculous and has resulted in a congested mess along the entire corridor.  The only corridor I can think of in NYC that would come close would be the LIE and even then, I bet the length of I-95 affected by congestion in VA  is longer than where the severe congestion is on the LIE.

Alps

Cool it with the personal attacks, Kozel.

jakeroot

This is one of the most advanced highway designs in the world, speaking particularly of north of Garrisonville

Though my time driving that stretch has been limited to exactly one trip northbound (heading back to Arlington from Charlottesville), I did not see any infrastructure that would have led me to believe 95 north of Fredericksburg was, in any sense of the word, "advanced".

Compared to the 405 back in Seattle, which I drive quite frequently, I-95 north of Fredericksburg has...

* no shoulder driving
* no variable speed signs to slow traffic in advance of crashes, or to close lanes
* no accommodation for transit or carpool
* a "safety zone" ... what the hell is that shit!?

It does have a peak-direction carriageway, which is nice, but if it fails (as mentioned above), it's worthless. Never mind it's inability to cope with unexpected non-peak direction traffic.

IMO, the 395 north of the beltway is of better design, as is the beltway itself (though only between Springfield and VA-267). Still, the lack of variable limits along any of these freeways is annoying.

Beltway

Quote from: jakeroot on November 27, 2018, 08:52:37 PM
Compared to the 405 back in Seattle, which I drive quite frequently, I-95 north of Fredericksburg has...
* no shoulder driving
* no variable speed signs to slow traffic in advance of crashes, or to close lanes
* no accommodation for transit or carpool
* a "safety zone" ... what the hell is that shit!?

Shoulder driving is a questionable benefit at best.  There are plenty of VMS signs on the corridor to advise of incidents and lane closures, and I am not sure if variable speed limits are a major benefit (and they don't close lanes).

The reversible roadway is HOT-3 which means that car pools with at least 3 occupants ride toll-free.  Major express bus service uses the roadway during morning and afternoon weekday peaks.  The variable tolls are designed to keep traffic moving at high speed.  This has been a very successful HOV/busway mass transit facility since its inception in 1975 (HOT since 2014), including casual car pooling also known as "slugging".

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

I-95 in Fairfax County had a part-time shoulder lane for a time in either the late 1980s or early 1990s (I forget which and am not motivated to look it up). The idea was to allow shoulder use during peak rush hour, but the experiment failed. People didn't obey the rules about what times the shoulder was not to be used as a lane and the result was all to easy to foresee–the most memorable incident was when a tractor-trailer was being driven illegally on the shoulder and slammed into a disabled Mustang that was legally stopped on the shoulder. The Mustang's driver was killed. The experiment was ended sometime after that. I seem to recall a widening project was going on at the same time, probably the southern extension of the HOV lanes from Springfield to Dumfries.

(The later design for the I-66 shoulder lanes, with the different-colored surface and the lane control lights, both of which were done away with earlier this year, was in part a reaction to the problems they had on I-95. The idea was to make it clearer that it was not an ordinary lane.)

The three-lane portion of the I-95 HO/T lanes has a variable speed limit, although I've never seen it posted at anything other than 65 mph (recognizing I normally use only a small segment of the I-95 lanes). The only other place in Northern Virginia where there was a variable speed limit in use for any length of time was on the Beltway from Springfield to the Wilson Bridge during the construction about ten years ago. Problem was, everyone ignored it when they lowered the speed limits, which should have been no surprise to anyone because everyone also ignores the 55-mph speed limit that's normally in effect through there!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.