News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Overuse of Google Maps Images?

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 13, 2022, 04:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 20, 2022, 02:45:16 PM
Reminds me of the people who post road photos that are 70% car interior and 30% whatever they were intending to photograph.
Which draws harsh criticism from the admins of one particular freeway group.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 20, 2022, 09:38:56 PM
Reminds me of the people who post road photos that are 70% car interior and 30% whatever they were intending to photograph.

That particular freeway group will criticize even minor issues; if not the admin, then some of the more particular members.  One in a lifetime opportunity?  Sorry - there's a little glare.  You should've been more prepared with a towel over your dash.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 20, 2022, 11:17:54 PM

That particular freeway group will criticize even minor issues; if not the admin, then some of the more particular members.  One in a lifetime opportunity?  Sorry - there's a little glare.  You should've been more prepared with a towel over your dash.

I may hold my photos to a high standard (and there's definitely a few stinkers in my collection) but I honestly don't expect everyone to do the same. I think there has to be a line to prevent untidy junk, stolen images, meme dumps, and over-sharers, but you also shouldn't be overly exclusive if it's an open group...Not everyone has the same style.

I'm not sure what the group is, but they're free to make their rules. It's probably a reaction to some other groups' loose rules and looser postings.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on February 21, 2022, 08:45:45 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 20, 2022, 11:17:54 PM

I may hold my photos to a high standard (and there's definitely a few stinkers in my collection) but I honestly don't expect everyone to do the same. I think there has to be a line to prevent untidy junk, stolen images, meme dumps, and over-sharers, but you also shouldn't be overly exclusive if it's an open group...Not everyone has the same style.

I'm not sure what the group is, but they're free to make their rules. It's probably a reaction to some other groups' loose rules and looser postings.

The group everyone is referring to is Freewayjim. 

J N Winkler

This has been an interesting thread to read through.  I do post StreetView links fairly frequently, and screenshots rather less often, but in all cases try to be clear about what is shown--never "Hey look at this cool thing" without context.  I mostly think of StreetView as just one source of illustrations.  Others include plan sheets, my own photos, and pattern-accurate sign mockups drawn from memory.

I hesitate to get worked up about what goes on in the Facebook road-related groups because they are extensions of Big Data, rather than volunteer-run communities like AARoads and Gribblenation.  Why give Mark Zuckerberg more of our time and energy when he has already taken so much from us?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

andrepoiy

I use Streetview all the time; because I'm just too lazy to find a picture that I may or may not have taken and then transfer it to my PC to upload it.

I always try to use the image function on this forum because I know myself, I pretty much almost never open a Streetview link unless the post really caught my attention.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.