News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

When you're watching The Grand Tour having a car versus public transportation/airplane race between Central Park and Niagara Falls and, upon seeing Clarkson take the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey, immediately say out loud "Why in the world is he going THAT way?"
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jp the roadgeek

When you're in a shopping center and see the license plate "Exit 68" for something off of Exit 68, but you think that they're going to need to change that plate to "Exit 81" in a few years when the highway the exit is on is converted to mileage based exit numbers.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 17, 2018, 09:04:21 PM
When you're in a shopping center and see the license plate "Exit 68" for something off of Exit 68, but you think that they're going to need to change that plate to "Exit 81" in a few years when the highway the exit is on is converted to mileage based exit numbers.

I somehow don't believe that happens to you as often as you project.

cjk374

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 17, 2018, 10:22:47 PM

Perhaps he is talking about the license plate frame that contains the dealership name on top, and the location on the bottom?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cjk374 on February 18, 2018, 05:41:39 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 17, 2018, 10:22:47 PM

Perhaps he is talking about the license plate frame that contains the dealership name on top, and the location on the bottom?

It was actually a special issue University of CT plate, which is off Exit 68 of I-84.  When CT converts I-84 to mileage based exits, it will become Exit 81, which would make the plate inaccurate. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mrpablue

you draw counties in your SimCity 4 region
you make a table of a route system for your SimCity 4 region complete with numbered exits and 3-digit auxiliaries
you live at safeway
you are cool

yakra

My power bill last month was 75.29.
Which obviously means that http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.000435&lon=-97.237633

Edit:You know you're a roadgeek when you get upgraded to an expressway. On AARoads. Upon posting in this thread. It wasn't intentional, I swear.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

CNGL-Leudimin

... you watch Big Rig Steve's livestream on TV.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MNHighwayMan

You print out regulatory-sign-style notes, set in Roadgeek 2014 Series E(M), to post around the house after your housemates fail to listen to your reasonable demands. (If you take the last roll from under the sink, refill the cabinet from the supply in the hallway closet! Not that difficult, really! :pan:)

adventurernumber1

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 07, 2018, 02:17:43 AM
You print out regulatory-sign-style notes, set in Roadgeek 2014 Series E(M), to post around the house after your housemates fail to listen to your reasonable demands. (If you take the last roll from under the sink, refill the cabinet from the supply in the hallway closet! Not that difficult, really! :pan:)

Also, if you (like me), on school assignments, were just absolutely dying to use those very Roadgeek Fonts on your Word Documents, but unfortunately you can't because of the typical mandatory font requirements (like Times New Roman 12 or something).  :-D  :-(
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kurumi

From my childhood: when shoveling show on your driveway, each new strip of snow removed is another lane on an imaginary freeway.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 07, 2018, 03:54:50 PM
Also, if you (like me), on school assignments, were just absolutely dying to use those very Roadgeek Fonts on your Word Documents, but unfortunately you can't because of the typical mandatory font requirements (like Times New Roman 12 or something).  :-D  :-(

I've just realized that having those fonts installed on your computer, at all, is a pretty good sign. :-D

Also, back when I was in high school (and Roadgeek 2005 was what was available) the fonts looked surprisingly terrible when applied to entire essays/documents (like you, I experimented with it but never submitted anything set in it). They'd look like an Oklahoma abomination. Not sure if the 2014 version fixes that or not. Or maybe MS Word 2003 just rendered it badly. Who knows.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 07, 2018, 09:36:13 PM

I've just realized that having those fonts installed on your computer, at all, is a pretty good sign. :-D

Also, back when I was in high school (and Roadgeek 2005 was what was available) the fonts looked surprisingly terrible when applied to entire essays/documents. They'd look like an Oklahoma abomination. Not sure if the 2014 version fixes that or not.

If I were a teacher, you could write the perfect term paper, but you'll get an F if you type it in Clearview 12

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 07, 2018, 09:38:33 PM

Also, back when I was in high school (and Roadgeek 2005 was what was available) the fonts looked surprisingly terrible when applied to entire essays/documents. They'd look like an Oklahoma abomination. Not sure if the 2014 version fixes that or not.
If I were a teacher, you could write the perfect term paper, but you'll get an F if you type it in Clearview 12

No argument from me. :)

SignGeek101

Also, back when I was in high school (and Roadgeek 2005 was what was available) the fonts looked surprisingly terrible when applied to entire essays/documents (like you, I experimented with it but never submitted anything set in it). They'd look like an Oklahoma abomination. Not sure if the 2014 version fixes that or not. Or maybe MS Word 2003 just rendered it badly. Who knows.

I just use Overpass whenever I can. Looks close enough to FHWA but has a cleaner look to it.

busman_49

You print out regulatory-sign-style notes, set in Roadgeek 2014 Series E(M)...

A lot of the memos I post at work, if I have to create them, are done in a highway font, usually Roadgeek 2000 Series D

webny99

You know you're a roadgeek if... you have 1000 posts on the aaroads.com forum.

(I saved my 1000th post for this thread, so I guess I qualify now :sombrero:)

freebrickproductions

If you posted in "Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com" before it was locked...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: busman_49 on March 08, 2018, 03:24:20 PM
You print out regulatory-sign-style notes, set in Roadgeek 2014 Series E(M)...

A lot of the memos I post at work, if I have to create them, are done in a highway font, usually Roadgeek 2000 Series D
So, is there any actual difference between Times and the Roadgeek fonts, in terms of readability?

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

webny99

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 21, 2018, 03:03:53 AM
If you posted in "Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com" before it was locked...

If you believe that thread should not have been locked  :D :banghead:

freebrickproductions

Quote from: webny99 on March 22, 2018, 02:13:51 PM

I agree. I've come up with some great stuff for that thread since it was locked...

SM-G900V

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 22, 2018, 06:17:04 PM

I agree. I've come up with some great stuff for that thread since it was locked...

Start a new thread. It'll go until things get out of hand and it too gets locked.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on March 23, 2018, 01:42:48 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 22, 2018, 06:17:04 PM

Start a new thread. It'll go until things get out of hand and it too gets locked.

Well, immediately after it got locked, I revived the 2064 thread as a replacement. It died naturally instead of getting locked. (Its parodies, on the other hand...)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jflick99

- when you were little, you had an old bed sheet that you called a street sheet with the street grid and highways drawn on it, and used you dad's stash of diecast NASCAR cars to "drive" around town

- all of the teachers in your grade school received personalized street blades to hang on the wall, so you went about assigning each hallway a street name and using the room numbers as addresses. In between classes you thought like a GPS (i.e.: *in 100 ft. turn left onto Art Avenue*)

(My high school was mostly a two-floor square with a connecting hall down the middle, so it wasn't as fun to do it there.)

- you are driving home and you want to clinch a route, so you tell your mom you are taking an alternate route for a "change of scenery." The only problem? It's 2am and pitch black.

- you receive the latest Rand McNally atlas and Kansas atlas from your grandma for Christmas, but she doesn't know your crazy obsession so you have to hold yourself together while not completely flipping out.

MCRoads

Quote from: Michael on February 02, 2018, 10:08:43 PM
...you're jealous of your friend who lives near a new DDI and has driven through it several times.

...you're even more jealous that that same friend is driving through it while on the phone with you.

...you notice you share a birthday with another roadgeek. (I just noticed that Scott5114 and I have the same birthday, and even the same birth year)

OMG, I was SOOOOOOO happy when I found out there is a ddi, several spuis, and a CFI in Co Springs, so I get it.

Also, I was the only one exited to wait 90 seconds for a ramp meter in Denver. My dad (who was driving) HATES them... he was pissed.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 06, 2018, 04:05:47 PM
... you are excited Big Rig Travels is going to cross craIG county (He has done so about half-a-hour ago).

BRT went past the craIG CountY sign? Did he comment about it?

I JUST FOUND IT!!! It (is there more than one?) is on the south county line on US 69.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.