News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How would You go about changing your community?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, February 16, 2018, 10:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

My school wants to get more involved in the community of Fort Smith. But, that is another story, my question is - how would You go about in-sighting change within your community from a civilian's POV? For me, I seem to be burdening myself with the accounts of others on how the city is ran as if it were a dynasty. Maybe I need some inspiration– because I'm having a hard time finding it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

hbelkins

I have a feeling this thread is going to go off on a political rail pretty quickly. In fact, I am refraining from offering any suggestions because they are in the political realm, and as much as I enjoy trolling the other side, I'm not going to do that here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

I wouldn't worry about the government to start with.  Instead, look at community organizations, service groups, churches, etc.  Volunteer at a food pantry, a children's reading program, youth sports organizations, etc.

The first thing you do is make yourself better (by doing things like getting involved above).  Then you help make the people around you better.  As that happens, the community gets better.

roadman65

I would have to agree you are pushing politics as my answer to improve my community would fall under that is mine has to do with language and I do not want to go there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

SectorZ

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 19, 2018, 11:46:40 AM
I don't really feel it needs to be changed.

The 750 murdered per year in Chicago beg to differ.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 19, 2018, 11:46:40 AM
I don't really feel it needs to be changed.

Chicago and Illinois need some serious changes, but this not the place to get overly political.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

You could just do some sort of writing on local history and share it in groups.  That is a pretty vanilla way of "bettering" your community that might actually be fun to do.  Hell you could probably do something regarding road and infrastructure and "better" your community by educating them on factoids they might not other know or care to know.  That whole blog post I did on US 99 in Fresno a couple months back actually had a fairly decent local response, this part of California sorely needs to stop bulldozing it's history for one reason or another...

roadman65

I can say for mine is to stop further development until we get a better road system to handle the added cars and trucks. :D
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Hurricane Rex

Mine doesn't need to be changed some others in the Portland area. Exceptions: Our city development comitte specifically with the new high school and RAISE 99W TO 55 MPH AT LEAST!!!

Edit: I forgot about how bad our utility bills and property tax is here... (Thanks US 71)
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

US71

I wouldn't wait 10 years to fix the sewer system, then suddenly double everyone's water rates to to pay for it.

Also less fast food and more dine-in places.

Lots of stuff I would change, almost too much to mention
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mgk920

Not just here in the Appleton, WI area, but statewide in Wisconsin, I'd do whatever can be done to seriously reduce the state's obscene overabundance of units of local government with taxing authority.  Wisconsin leads all 50 USA states in that number per-capita (Illinois has the highest raw number of them) and we as a state really cannot afford to support all of those governments.

Mike

cjk374

As a story goes that I heard years ago:  dig a hole and put every sorry SOB in it.

The problem...who is left to put the dirt back in the hole?  :sombrero:  :-D
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jp the roadgeek

I wouldn't have spent $600 million on a busway that 10 people use, diverted millions of transportation budgeted funds into the general fund for other pork programs, and then cry that we're out of transportation money and need to implement tolls as a hidden tax on the people.  I'd also cut back on administrative costs in our transportation system that are five times the national average per road mile.  Too many people that get paid handsome 6-figure salaries to be a pencil pusher, a seldom used consultant, or just sit at a construction site 10 hours a day.   I would add a few more 65 MPH zones: I-84 between Waterbury and West Hartford (except for the CT 72 interchange), US 7 north of I-84, CT 8 between the 8-25 split and Naugatuck (except over the Commodore Hull Bridge), and CT 25 north of the split.  And lastly, I would cut down on the number of EIS's a road project needs. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Sorry for the strain on the politically phrased question/responses, but as I have said my school wants to get into possibly remodeling a house and I am also wondering how a citizen inspires change within a community. Would it be wise to propose a City Infrastructure Plan (CIT)? I am worried about peoples perception that I am "telling them how to do their jobs!" Rather than, presenting problems and possible solutions to fix them.

To me I realize a city, within a city counsel meeting can take your suggestion with a grain of salt and keep on with the current agenda of poor improvements or none at all. See, it isn't just road related with Fort Smith, but there is no entertainment within walking distance, the city is behind with accommodations for bike and ped traffic. I don't know where I could start. As US71 stated, "The list could go on and on."

I just want to break the ice that is Fort Smith.

abefroman329

Step 1 is finding like-minded individuals.  Social media makes that easy.

J N Winkler

Upthread, GaryV suggested becoming involved as a volunteer.  This is one way not just to help with general betterment, but also to become aware of who's who in the voluntary sector in your community.  The relationships you develop with them are very helpful, and often critical, for mounting a successful run for local elective office.

I would also suggest following local media--if you aren't already--as this will give you an idea of what the local power structures are and how they work.  I'd imagine Fort Smith has at least one visioneering group that focuses on quality-of-life issues, but often there are significant budgetary or institutional barriers to progress.  Knowing how to read a budget and how to relate the outgoings to revenue sources (like the millage tax on property) is a valuable skill as well.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 22, 2018, 08:49:41 PM
Upthread, GaryV suggested becoming involved as a volunteer.  This is one way not just to help with general betterment, but also to become aware of who's who in the voluntary sector in your community.  The relationships you develop with them are very helpful, and often critical, for mounting a successful run for local elective office.

I would also suggest following local media--if you aren't already--as this will give you an idea of what the local power structures are and how they work.  I'd imagine Fort Smith has at least one visioneering group that focuses on quality-of-life issues, but often there are significant budgetary or institutional barriers to progress.  Knowing how to read a budget and how to relate the outgoings to revenue sources (like the millage tax on property) is a valuable skill as well.
Thank you.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.