2 Top Supermarkets file for bankruptcy

Started by roadman65, February 17, 2018, 04:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/winn-dixie-and-tops-owners-are-said-to-prepare-for-bankruptcy/ar-BBJeV3y?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Winn Dixie and Tops are filling for bankruptcy.   The former was the ruler of the southeast for decades, then fell to a point of closing stores due to falling customer service and now may soon be history.

[Fixed URL. -S.]
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Well that sucks, I always enjoyed the wing bars at the bigger Winn Dixie's. 

Takumi

No surprise on Winn-Dixie, they've been contracting for decades. Last stores in Virginia closed around 15 years ago, I think.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Buck87

Not overly surprised to hear about Tops. About a decade ago they opened a brand new store in Norwalk, Ohio and then closed it less than 2 years later.

roadman65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 17, 2018, 04:37:59 PM
Well that sucks, I always enjoyed the wing bars at the bigger Winn Dixie's. 
Winn Dixie did it to themselves.  They could have copied Publix and concentrated on better customer service as that is what killed them over the years. 

In the 70's and the 80's they ran neck in neck with Publix, but for some reason management or attitudes changed and they let themselves slip.  Its a shame they had a good thing going even in the early 90's with the sprawl of Florida taking shape as they were able to open more stores for each subdivision being built.  They even had the WD Marketplace which was good, but the one near me got to be with a careless staff once that opened and soon later it closed.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

When I saw the thread title, I was expecting to see Food Lion (aka Shitty Kitty).
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on February 17, 2018, 04:26:24 PM
ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/winn-dixie-and-tops-owners-are-said-to-prepare-for-bankruptcy/ar-BBJeV3y?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Winn Dixie and Tops are filling for bankruptcy.   The former was the ruler of the southeast for decades, then fell to a point of closing stores due to falling customer service and now may soon be history.
Who rules the Southeast now?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2018, 06:51:36 PM
ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/winn-dixie-and-tops-owners-are-said-to-prepare-for-bankruptcy/ar-BBJeV3y?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

My first thought was Publix, but they aren't that common outside of Florida.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

hbelkins

Probably Walmart Supercenters.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Big John

Quote from: 1 on February 17, 2018, 07:01:37 PM

There are plenty of Publix markets around Atlanta.

Buck87

From what I've seen, the Atlanta area a mix of Publix, Kroger, Ingles and Piggly Wiggly

jwolfer

Publix now has stores in GA, AL, SC, NC and TN.. I think even VA

Z981

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2018, 07:25:22 PM

Ah Walmart. Replacing every interesting local brand with their blue and yellow crap.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

74/171FAN

Quote from: jwolfer on February 17, 2018, 07:58:04 PM

Z981

Yes Publix is in VA now.  They replaced a few of the former Martin's stores in the Richmond area when they all closed.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 17, 2018, 08:45:35 PM

Z981

Yes Publix is in VA now.  They replaced a few of the former Martin's stores in the Richmond area when they all closed.

Are all Martin's closed? i remember getting gas at one in Staunton, Va., several years ago. It was cheaper than Sheetz.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Sctvhound

Winn-Dixie was here in the Charleston market for many years, but closed about 10 years ago or so. They had a location on Folly Road in James Island, and they closed in 1996 or 1997, and were replaced by Publix. Their stores had gone downhill here for a while.

freebrickproductions

Winn-Dixie pretty much just about left Alabama completely around a decade ago when the franchisee for the entire state went bankrupt. A few stores still remain in this state, but not many, and they'll probably get closed due to this bankruptcy (we've already lost Kmart as a whole).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

KEVIN_224

Here in Connecticut, we're dominated by Stop & Shop, Price Chopper, Shop Rite and Big Y. We used to have Shaw's, but they left the state in the mid-2000s.

Hurricane Rex

I would argue Oregon is dominated by Fred Meyer and Safeway IMO.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2018, 11:18:28 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 17, 2018, 08:45:35 PM

Z981

Are all Martin's closed? i remember getting gas at one in Staunton, Va., several years ago. It was cheaper than Sheetz.
No, just in central/eastern Virginia. The parent companies of them and Food Lion merged, and closed a bunch of stores in areas where both stores were common. In Richmond and Williamsburg, the Martins all closed, but elsewhere the Food Lions closed.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2018, 08:42:20 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2018, 07:25:22 PM

Ah Walmart. Replacing every interesting local brand with their blue and yellow crap.

To be fair, I thought Walmart's stores were cleaner, more organized, and better stocked than Winn Dixie ever was...that says something.

Publix's strategy in Florida used to be: build one every 2 miles or so. Then they found themselves with a lot of aging stores (although sometimes elegant MiMo architecture) in poorer neighborhoods. Or just a lot of overlap, since Winn-Dixie and others disappeared in the 1990s. Walmart and Target were not very common south of Orlando, so they had the grocery market largely to themselves.

Walmart changed that around the turn of the millenium, as each new store undercut them by 10-20%. Now instead of trying to saturate every medium-sized town, Publix targets larger cities' affluent areas, and typically brand-new locations. They're clean, customer-focused, and offer a nice range of products; it's employee-owned, so there's a bit of pride that goes with the territory.

Jardine

When I was a kid (60s) we had Safeway stores in the area (western Iowa/Omaha) but they've been gone a very long time.

I had an uncle who managed to retire from one before they were gone.  Still around in other states, but it's a tough marketplace everywhere.

jwolfer

Winn Dixie filed for bankruptcy about 15 years ago. And emerged from that, after pulling out of lots of markets and closing stores

Winn Dixie merged with BiLo a couple years ago and they have Harvey's in lower income areas and an Hispanic focused chain in South Florida ( Sabor y Fresco I think)

Winn Dixie was the master of the South for years with stores from Indiana to the Bahamas but they rested on their laurels, did not change with times... So the they ended up with small out dated stores in run down shopping centers in older parts of town while Publix had fancy new stores in brand new shopping centers

Z981

Sctvhound

Publix and Harris Teeter (now owned by Kroger) share a lot of the same values. Here in the Charleston area currently they are the two major supermarkets in the coastal areas (east of I-526). Farther inland, Walmart is the major supermarket.

Harris Teeter, in the upper-middle class Mt. Pleasant area (a town of about 80 to 85,000), has EIGHT locations. Publix only has three, but most of their stores are much larger than Harris Teeter, who bought another one of the major chains in the Charleston area, locally-owned Piggly Wiggly a few years ago.

The peninsular area of Charleston (everything south of I-26) only has one chain supermarket currently, a Harris Teeter on East Bay Street.

jwolfer

Harris teeter opened a 3 stores in Jacksonville area, first stores in FL in the early 2000s. The Mandarin store is now a Publix.. Ponte Vedra Beach store closed.. not sure if it's something else now.. so the only HT in Florida is in Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island. It's like the luxury brand of Kroger, similar to Lexus vs Toyota

I don't like the name Kroger.. stores are nice. Some say that Kroger will buy Winn Dixie to get a good foothold in Florida

Z981

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.