News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Measuring metro areas by 20-mile radius

Started by hotdogPi, February 25, 2018, 10:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Since official metro area definitions follow county borders, it is not a perfect count of metro area population. I used this website to determine populations within a 20-mile radius of each major city, and here is what I found (third column is my own data):

RankCity properOfficial metro20-mile radius
1New YorkNew YorkNew York
2Los AngelesLos AngelesLos Angeles
3ChicagoChicagoChicago
4HoustonDFWHouston
5PhoenixHoustonPhiladelphia
6PhiladelphiaWashington DCDFW
7San AntonioPhiladelphiaWashington DC
8San DiegoMiamiPhoenix
9DallasAtlantaDetroit*
10San JoseBostonSan Diego*
11AustinSF-OaklandSF-Oakland
12JacksonvillePhoenixMiami
13San FranciscoInland EmpireBoston
14ColumbusDetroitAtlanta
15IndianapolisSeattleDenver
16Fort WorthTwin CitiesTwin Cities
17CharlotteSan DiegoSan Jose
18SeattleTampa-St. PeteSeattle
19DenverDenverLas Vegas
20El PasoSt. LouisEl Paso-Juárez*
21Washington DCBaltimoreBaltimore
22BostonCharlotteTampa-St. Pete
23DetroitOrlandoPortland
24NashvilleSan AntonioSan Antonio
25MemphisPortlandSacramento
26PortlandPittsburghOrlando
27Oklahoma CitySacramentoSt. Louis
28Las VegasCincinnatiCleveland-Akron
29LouisvilleLas VegasKansas City
30BaltimoreKansas CityMcAllen-Reynosa*

*Goes into Canada or Mexico

Notes: Some of the 20-mile circles I drew may be a bit suboptimal. I didn't include a rank for the Inland Empire as I don't think there's a maximum there; keep going west and it will keep increasing until you reach LA's metro area. Sometimes the center of the circle isn't anywhere near downtown. This is common where the city borders the ocean or one of the Great Lakes (especially Cleveland, where the optimal circle includes Akron), but Nashville's circle also includes Murfreesboro, which would not have happened if it was centered. Buffalo kept malfunctioning, which I estimate to barely miss the top 30.

What do you think of this algorithm? How can it be improved?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jwolfer

Generally good.. but for Miami/South Florida it's very linear..   a few miles west of Miami and it's Everglades with absolutely no one..

In Florida for the other big metros your method works well, Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa it works.

Z981

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jwolfer on February 25, 2018, 11:16:28 AM
Generally good.. but for Miami/South Florida it's very linear..   a few miles west of Miami and it's Everglades with absolutely no one..

In Florida for the other big metros your method works well, Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa it works.

Z981

Wouldn't the Everglades condition be similiar to any metro area with an ocean by it, including Miami and Tampa?

NYC is still #1 even though a portion of its 20 Mike radius would be uninhabited due to the Atlantic Ocean.

jwolfer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 25, 2018, 11:34:04 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on February 25, 2018, 11:16:28 AM

Z981

Wouldn't the Everglades condition be similiar to any metro area with an ocean by it, including Miami and Tampa?

NYC is still #1 even though a portion of its 20 Mike radius would be uninhabited due to the Atlantic Ocean.
He did mention coastal cities the center may not be right at CBD.. Miami has ocean on one side and Everglades on the other

Z981

webny99

Generally speaking, I like it. I'd like to see some actual population figures associated with each metro, but I'm not sure how challenging those would be to access and share.

Also, how did you decide on 20 miles? Would changing it, say to 25 or 30 miles, influence the results?

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on February 25, 2018, 11:43:29 AM
Generally speaking, I like it. I'd like to see some actual population figures associated with each metro, but I'm not sure how challenging those would be to access and share.

Also, how did you decide on 20 miles? Would changing it, say to 25 or 30 miles, influence the results?

The numbers I have for the 20-mile radius (in millions):

New York12.5
Los Angeles8.44
Chicago5.42
Houston4.27
Philadelphia3.98
DFW3.98
Washington DC3.78
Phoenix3.34
Detroit3.34
San Diego3.33
SF-Oakland3.19
Miami3.19
Boston3.01
Atlanta2.71
Denver2.58
Twin Cities2.55
San Jose2.40
Seattle2.36
Las Vegas2.27
El Paso-Juárez2.23
Baltimore2.21
Tampa-St. Pete2.20
Portland2.08
San Antonio1.95
Sacramento1.94
Orlando1.93
St. Louis1.91
Cleveland-Akron1.88
Kansas City1.69
McAllen-Reynosa1.69
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Bruce

Generally, it's a bad idea to use radii when measuring land that may or may not include a lot of water.

For example, the Seattle metro area is very linear (skewed north to south) because of the considerable amount of water, so a 20-mile radius around the city center would exclude Tacoma and Everett, two of the principal/anchor suburbs.

(Used this tool to generate the circle)

DTComposer

Quote from: 1 on February 25, 2018, 10:55:25 AM
I didn't include a rank for the Inland Empire as I don't think there's a maximum there; keep going west and it will keep increasing until you reach LA's metro area.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Draw a 20-mile radius from downtown Riverside and you get 2.768 million people and barely, if at all, touch either Los Angeles or Orange Counties, let alone come near a 20-mile raidus from downtown L.A.

US 89

Quote from: Bruce on February 25, 2018, 03:03:39 PM
Generally, it's a bad idea to use radii when measuring land that may or may not include a lot of water.

For example, the Seattle metro area is very linear (skewed north to south) because of the considerable amount of water, so a 20-mile radius around the city center would exclude Tacoma and Everett, two of the principal/anchor suburbs.

The same thing happens for Salt Lake City. The metropolitan corridor is skewed north-south along the I-15 corridor. A 20 mile radius around downtown Salt Lake City includes large areas of mountain ranges, the Great Salt Lake, and surrounding wetlands, but misses everything north of Kaysville and south of Draper, including Ogden and Provo. In fact, I'd bet more than half of that circle is completely uninhabited. (link to generate circle)

Henry

As shown here, a 20-mile radius is way too small for a place like Chicago, as it barely reaches the I-80/I-294 concurrency to the south, clips a very small piece of Northwest IN, and completely misses the I-94/I-294 connector to the north and I-355 to the west.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

Quote from: BruceGenerally, it's a bad idea to use radii when measuring land that may or may not include a lot of water.

Correct.  Which is why the Census Bureau and local/regional jurisdictions have maps showing the "Urbanized Area", basically a measure based on population density and other development parameters.  THAT would be a far better method of comparison than some arbitrary radius from a city center.

jeffandnicole

That all said though, another thread on here asked about people's max commuting.  Even though some cities may be linear and the metro area extends further out, a 30 mile ride for some people would be out of the question, even if it mostly all highway.  So the 20 (or whatever) mile radius does have some benefits for people if they want to live a certain distance to a city.  Of course, 20 miles away from downtown without convenient highway/transit access is a much different 20 miles if you live right off a direct highway or train line into the city.

J N Winkler

A different way of getting a total population measure for a metro area that avoids the arbitrariness of county lines is to sum the populations of all contiguous areas that have population density above a certain level.  For most metro areas this will be somewhat less than the total metro area population because it will exclude people living in low-density exurban areas, but I suspect the two figures will be within 10% of each other.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US 89

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 27, 2018, 12:10:33 AM
A different way of getting a total population measure for a metro area that avoids the arbitrariness of county lines is to sum the populations of all contiguous areas that have population density above a certain level.  For most metro areas this will be somewhat less than the total metro area population because it will exclude people living in low-density exurban areas, but I suspect the two figures will be within 10% of each other.

The Salt Lake City area would be an interesting place to see this method. The census bureau considers Salt Lake City, Provo, and Ogden to be three separate metropolitan areas, but they have all grown into each other across county lines to create one large urbanized area, the Wasatch Front. The official SLC metro population is 1.1 million, but counting the urban area in this way would likely put that figure in the range of 2-2.5 million. The census bureau's CSA would fit the idea of the total metropolitan region, since that also includes outlying areas like Tooele and Park City.

DTComposer

The Census Bureau already does this with Urban Areas and Urban Clusters:

https://www.census.gov/geo/reference/ua/urban-rural-2010.html

However, they introduce other data (namely commuting patterns) that split contiguously-developed areas into two or more separate urban areas (in California, notably splitting San Francisco and San Jose, and splitting Los Angeles from the Inland Empire).

ET21

Quote from: Henry on February 26, 2018, 09:28:36 AM
As shown here, a 20-mile radius is way too small for a place like Chicago, as it barely reaches the I-80/I-294 concurrency to the south, clips a very small piece of Northwest IN, and completely misses the I-94/I-294 connector to the north and I-355 to the west.

And misses a good chunk of the mid and outer rim suburbs
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

doorknob60

Quote from: roadguy2 on February 27, 2018, 12:41:49 AM

The Salt Lake City area would be an interesting place to see this method. The census bureau considers Salt Lake City, Provo, and Ogden to be three separate metropolitan areas, but they have all grown into each other across county lines to create one large urbanized area, the Wasatch Front. The official SLC metro population is 1.1 million, but counting the urban area in this way would likely put that figure in the range of 2-2.5 million. The census bureau's CSA would fit the idea of the total metropolitan region, since that also includes outlying areas like Tooele and Park City.

Yeah I find it ridiculous that North Salt Lake, UT and Salt Lake City, UT are technically in different MSAs. And yes CSAs exist but often those are too big, like it's hard to argue that Salem, OR and Portland, OR should be in the same metro area (they are in the same CSA, not MSA), even though some people commute between them; they're quite separated. And you mentioned outlying areas like Park City, also not really a part of the metro area. And Boise's CSA stretches from Ontario and Vale, OR all the way to Mountain Home (whereas the MSA is more reasonable, though really I think it should maybe be only Ada and Canyon counties).

If you need to keep the Ogden and SLC in different MSAs (I'm not convinced you do, but I can see why they're split), then it would have to be around Farmington where you split it to make sense to me. I could accept that. But of course, since MSAs are defined by counties (and Ogden, Farmington, and North Salt Lake all reside in Davis County), that just can't happen. I guess ultimately it doesn't really matter though, haha.

US 89

Quote from: doorknob60 on February 27, 2018, 04:25:32 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on February 27, 2018, 12:41:49 AM

The Salt Lake City area would be an interesting place to see this method. The census bureau considers Salt Lake City, Provo, and Ogden to be three separate metropolitan areas, but they have all grown into each other across county lines to create one large urbanized area, the Wasatch Front. The official SLC metro population is 1.1 million, but counting the urban area in this way would likely put that figure in the range of 2-2.5 million. The census bureau’s CSA would fit the idea of the total metropolitan region, since that also includes outlying areas like Tooele and Park City.

Yeah I find it ridiculous that North Salt Lake, UT and Salt Lake City, UT are technically in different MSAs. And yes CSAs exist but often those are too big, like it's hard to argue that Salem, OR and Portland, OR should be in the same metro area (they are in the same CSA, not MSA), even though some people commute between them; they're quite separated. And you mentioned outlying areas like Park City, also not really a part of the metro area. And Boise's CSA stretches from Ontario and Vale, OR all the way to Mountain Home (whereas the MSA is more reasonable, though really I think it should maybe be only Ada and Canyon counties).

If you need to keep the Ogden and SLC in different MSAs (I'm not convinced you do, but I can see why they're split), then it would have to be around Farmington where you split it to make sense to me. I could accept that. But of course, since MSAs are defined by counties (and Ogden, Farmington, and North Salt Lake all reside in Davis County), that just can't happen. I guess ultimately it doesn't really matter though, haha.

Actually, Ogden and SLC used to be one metro area, but they were split up in 2005.

And I agree, the Salt Lake City CSA is really too big to get an accurate representation of the population of the area. The north half of I-15 in Utah (200 miles) is in the Salt Lake City CSA, and I-80 and I-84 have all their Utah mileage within the CSA. But most of that is probably because of the large counties.

I feel like SLC gets screwed by these definitions and people think it's a lot smaller than it is. The population of the city proper is "only" 190,000 and the MSA is 1.1 million, but as I said above, the Wasatch Front urban corridor actually has a population of a little more than 2 million.

bing101

That's interesting though if the 20 mile radius was used for the Bay Area there's 2 sets of challenges cities like San Mateo, Hayward, Fremont and Foster City could have parts of their city count as San Francisco Bay area and the other section of their respective cities get counted as San Jose if the census went with this method.

english si

Quote from: 1 on February 25, 2018, 11:49:55 AM
The numbers I have for the 20-mile radius (in millions):

Philadelphia3.98
DFW3.98
Washington DC3.78
Phoenix3.34
Detroit3.34
San Diego3.33
SF-Oakland3.19
Miami3.19
Boston3.01
Some really similar figures there.

Incidentally, doing a 30km circle (can't get miles on that site for some reason) around my ~20k pop town gives a population of 3.52 million: a similar density to those large metros, though upping it to 32.14km (as close as I can get to 32.19km that's 20 miles) that increases to 4.06 million as there's a couple more large towns, plus an extra arc of London in there. While those figures includes about a fifth of London, filling a sixth of the circle, the rest of the circle is rural dotted with towns - about 50% is urban by my reckoning.

I can get 638k for a 16 km/10 miles ring (Oxford only gets 335k off 10 miles!), which doesn't take in any of London, but 8km/5 miles around my town only contains about 100k people, and a 6km circle gives something nearly at the 50k that my urban area actually is. I'm able to grab several nearby large towns with my arc.

A 32.20km circle around London gives 10.29 million. 30km: 9.92m. 25km: 9.16km. 35km: 10.80m. I wasn't expecting that pattern to be that linear - the 25km is about where the Green Belt starts, the 30km one has got most of the inner bits of the Green Belt and the 35km circle covers the first set of commuter belt towns beyond the Green Belt, but the increments are roughly equal - I think the reason is due to London not being circular and so the ring of less population is spread through all three. A 50km (roughly 30 miles) circle has 13.42m that's roughly the Metropolitan Area: it's got to sort of where there isn't Green Belt in between towns anymore.

A 160km (~100 miles) circle around London has 29.06m people in it, and the same around NYC has 29.83m. Broadly the two areas are as-dense (OK, NYC's circle might be a little more aquatic and has that little bit more population), but with a rather different urbanisation pattern: London's being much more patchy - with discrete towns and cities.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.