AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do roads in Florida last longer than elsewhere?  (Read 2145 times)

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: Today at 01:21:51 PM
Re: Do roads in Florida last longer than elsewhere?
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 09:47:45 PM »

The section in question is south/west of I-4 Ultimate's project limits.

DeaconG

• Last Login: Today at 10:25:00 AM
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2021, 07:18:27 PM »

It will probably be part of I-4 Beyond The Ultimate.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: Today at 12:30:38 PM
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2021, 11:00:02 PM »

Only in Florida would they give that name to a highway project.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 01:01:59 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2021, 10:49:54 PM »

I read somewhere a few years ago where one year they ranked the best and worst roads in all 50 states.  In it, Florida had the best, Tennessee had the second best, and Georgia the third best.  And if memory serves me right, I think Pennsylvania had the worst and Ohio the second worst.  I forgot where I read this though.
Tennessee surprises me, since they get plenty of snow. I remember times where they would get more snow than New York!

SkyPesos

• I-75: The clown of the Interstate Highway System.

• Last Login: Today at 03:11:06 PM
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2021, 10:54:41 PM »

I read somewhere a few years ago where one year they ranked the best and worst roads in all 50 states.  In it, Florida had the best, Tennessee had the second best, and Georgia the third best.  And if memory serves me right, I think Pennsylvania had the worst and Ohio the second worst.  I forgot where I read this though.
Ohio second worst? I can think of at least 15 states with worse road quality than Ohio based on my own experience and posts on this forum, and Illinois and Michigan are two of them just to single some states out in the Midwest. Not sure if it's the absolute worst, but I agree that Pennsylvania's isn't that great, especially with I-70 between Washington, PA and New Stanton, and east of Breezewood.
Traveled 2di: 4, 5, 10, 20, 24, 26, 29, 35, 39, 40, 44, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 83, 84, 85, 87, 88, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95
Cities I've lived in: Cincinnati/Columbus, OH/Lafayette, IN/St Louis/Fuzhou
My Fictional Highways

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 02:26:25 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2021, 11:12:55 PM »

Ohio second worst? I can think of at least 15 states with worse road quality than Ohio based on my own experience and posts on this forum, and Illinois and Michigan are two of them just to single some states out in the Midwest. Not sure if it's the absolute worst, but I agree that Pennsylvania's isn't that great, especially with I-70 between Washington, PA and New Stanton, and east of Breezewood.

Try New Mexico on for size and it will makes the likes of Ohio feel outstanding.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: September 17, 2021, 03:06:31 PM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 12:49:30 PM »

Georgia has the third best roads? I'm gonna have to dispute that. They aren't in horrible shape (especially compared to their neighbors Tennessee and South Carolina), but they aren't exactly amazing either.

Alabama roads are way better than Georgia. Both state and county roads.

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 11:51:37 AM
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »

Managed Lanes: The Ultimate Spending Machine

Otherwise, pavement rarely potholes in Florida, concrete (usually only on interstates), really does seem to last a long time in Florida. If there's not a lot of truck traffic, asphalt can last for a good long while.

Drawbacks are rain, high temperatures, lots of truck traffic, and a soft road bed. If it's not cambered right, standing water pools up in places, causing deterioration (same as anywhere else). Some places have a poorer subsurface than others, and even though there's no visual problem with the pavement itself, it can get "wavy" over time.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 04:40:30 PM by formulanone »
Photos | Unprofessional driver on open course. Do attempt.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.