News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

But it's easier to blame lazy workers.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DeaconG

Quote from: edwaleni on September 03, 2018, 12:46:56 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 30, 2018, 07:41:21 PM
Again the lazy workers are procrastinating on John Young Parkway in Kissimmee.  The road has all six lanes done, except for a final coat of asphalt to be added.  They have one SB lane and the turn pockets to add its base on top of the lower fills, before adding the last coat to the whole width and then the much needed third lane can be finally opened.

The workers work only one night a week, and pave only one lane of traffic for a bout a half a mile from 10 PM to whenver they quit in the AM.

People complain about this but FDOT allows them cart blanche on this whole schedule to get it done.  Even the local paper wrote articles on this and has impacted these idiots none.  Maybe by the time the next USPOTUS full term (if he is not impeached first) the road may be done as the state keeps pushing the completion date back over and over again

The issue is the asphalt supplier. Deliveries after a certain time causes problems with cost.  So they load up all they can before the supplier stops making hot mix and shuts down for the night.

So why hasn't someone fallen on the supplier from a great height?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

1995hoo

Following up on my SunPass query, ultimately a few tolls posted to our account and a few didn't. Ms1995hoo followed her Garmin and took the Sawgrass to the Turnpike instead of I-95 on her way back from Pembroke Pines to Viera. The Sawgrass tolls posted. Oddly, the Turnpike posted a 64¢ toll from Fort Pierce; it doesn't seem they've  synced up with a photo from the Lantana barrier to get the correct amount. I assume there will be a charge to her VISA card sometime soon from the rental agency and I expect we will likely get hit for some of the same tolls that posted to our SunPass, but there's likely no way to challenge individual ones because I'm sure Budget will do a single lump charge.

All in all, this experience leaves me skeptical of ever again adding a rental car to our account but not using the transponder.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

I just got a letter from EPass in Orlando and said a computer screw up between Sunpass and them is going to add some back tolls never charged.  Hope that does not add much to my bill.  They are nice, so they say, but they will allow a 3 month payment plan on tolls that cannot be made paid possible.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Who here has seen some of the new signs along US 41 in Withlacoochee State Forest?

And don't worry; I'm well aware they're all perfectly MUTCD.

D-Dey65

Hey, did my eyes deceive me last month, or are they really not eliminating the left exit at southbound Interstate 75 and the Florida's Turnpike in Wildwood?

:-o

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 05, 2018, 09:57:54 PM
Hey, did my eyes deceive me last month, or are they really not eliminating the left exit at southbound Interstate 75 and the Florida's Turnpike in Wildwood?

Trafficwise it's an almost perfectly equal split. Suck it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on November 06, 2018, 02:08:01 PM

That's true, but I've seen a lot of cars go in reverse at that point to avoid going one way or another. I can't understand why Left Exits are so mystifying to so many drivers, though taking away the Left Only option would help.

A right-exit C/D road from FL 44 would help remove some of the weaving. In the end, you can't fix all the stupid.

D-Dey65

Well, I know the original plan was to replace the southbound left exit with a right exit, and convert the southbound entrance ramp from FL 44 into a C/D road from FL 44, with a separate left entrance to the turnpike.

Judging by the future signs in the area, it looks like they're keeping everything more or less the same.

edwaleni

Quote from: formulanone on November 06, 2018, 02:50:30 PM
Quote from: NE2 on November 06, 2018, 02:08:01 PM

That's true, but I've seen a lot of cars go in reverse at that point to avoid going one way or another. I can't understand why Left Exits are so mystifying to so many drivers, though taking away the Left Only option would help.

A right-exit C/D road from FL 44 would help remove some of the weaving. In the end, you can't fix all the stupid.

Highway drone effect. Radio and cruise control on. 2 fingers on the steering wheel. Not paying attention.

roadman65

Where did the tradeoff end in Lakeland?

I see that SR 33 was truncated shortening its mileage as well as both Business routes of US 92 and 98 being decommissioned. Plus even SR 572 being truncated when Polk Parkway got built, all to be turned over to the city of Lakeland.  So that should mean that some Lakeland Streets should have become part of the state road system, but has not.

Yes the creation of SR 548 has added some mileage to the state route system but not enough to cover the loss of the mentioned routes completely.

Also if US 92 Business is gone why is SR 600 still considered to be on it?  Why has not SR 600 been shifted to follow mainline US 92?  Ditto for SR 35 which uses the original US 98 Business and SR 700 that uses the former US 98 alignment on Lake Parker Avenue.  Because of the former SR 548 ends abruptly while concurrent with US 98 as SR 35 takes over where it ends at the intersection of Main and Bartow.  SR 548 should end at US 98 taking over the new George Jenkins Extension and both SR 35 & 700 should be on with 98 there, but all are as is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Great Lakes Roads

Found a video of a DDI coming to Northern Tampa metro area in 2019... I-75 at SR 56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4V6veOaYMk

D-Dey65

I hope they're still going to extend SR 56 to US 301.

I'm a bit iffy about the pedestrian-bicycle path. I'm okay with them being directed into the middle of the median, but eastbound pedestrians have to make such jagged movements from the southbound on-ramp to the diverging of the two segments of SR 56, to the northbound off-ramp.

1995hoo

Google Maps estimates 2:06 and 148 miles from Yeehaw Junction to Weston if we take the Turnpike to the Sawgrass. It estimates 2:30 and 131 miles if instead we go down US-441 and around the east side of Lake Okeechobee through Belle Glade and South Bay to US-27. Is that a realistic estimate or are we likely to get stuck behind slow-moving vehicles or trucks that would prove difficult to pass? (If it matters, we'll be making the drive next Saturday afternoon, Dec. 22, so Christmas traffic past Sawgrass Mills crosses my mind as a possible factor on the highway.)

Thanks in advance. In the scheme of things, the extra half-hour doesn't much matter, and I expect the travel time Google gives me for the Turnpike now, on a Friday morning, is likely a lower estimate than would be the case on a heavy travel day like next Saturday. (We are driving down from Jacksonville with a stop to see a friend at Lake Asbury, so it's a chance for a lot of new roads: FL-23, US-17 through Palatka, maybe some others northwest of Orlando to avoid the I-4 work zone.)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 14, 2018, 11:50:33 AM
Google Maps estimates 2:06 and 148 miles from Yeehaw Junction to Weston if we take the Turnpike to the Sawgrass. It estimates 2:30 and 131 miles if instead we go down US-441 and around the east side of Lake Okeechobee through Belle Glade and South Bay to US-27. Is that a realistic estimate or are we likely to get stuck behind slow-moving vehicles or trucks that would prove difficult to pass? (If it matters, we'll be making the drive next Saturday afternoon, Dec. 22, so Christmas traffic past Sawgrass Mills crosses my mind as a possible factor on the highway.)

Thanks in advance. In the scheme of things, the extra half-hour doesn't much matter, and I expect the travel time Google gives me for the Turnpike now, on a Friday morning, is likely a lower estimate than would be the case on a heavy travel day like next Saturday. (We are driving down from Jacksonville with a stop to see a friend at Lake Asbury, so it's a chance for a lot of new roads: FL-23, US-17 through Palatka, maybe some others northwest of Orlando to avoid the I-4 work zone.)

US 27 four lanes with no traffic lights until I-75.  Take FL 715 from Pahokee to bypass Belle Glade.  I used to take 441, 715, and 27 to the Turnpike all the time from Orlando.  It's a great scenic route around Lake Okeechobee and the Everglades with Very little traffic, I'd highly recommend it to the snooze fest Turnpike. 

02 Park Ave

Whenever I use Google maps for directions I calculate the average speed required to achieve their estimated travel time.  If that looks unrealistic then I recalculate the time using a more appropriate average speed.
C-o-H

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 14, 2018, 12:35:42 PM

US 27 four lanes with no traffic lights until I-75.  Take FL 715 from Pahokee to bypass Belle Glade.  I used to take 441, 715, and 27 to the Turnpike all the time from Orlando.  It's a great scenic route around Lake Okeechobee and the Everglades with Very little traffic, I'd highly recommend it to the snooze fest Turnpike. 

715 is a negligible bypass of Belle Glade. 729 bypasses a good deal of Pahokee.

There's a pretty good chance you'll get held up by something on the two-lanes, but they're fairly wide (save a few old bridges) and usually have paved shoulders. This is sugar cane country, expect to get caught behind at least one truck and one hauling a boat trailer.

US 27 is four lanes and little to see, but that doesn't stop Florida Highway Patrol and the small town cops from excessive speed enforcement from the medians. Keep near the limits in town, and no more than 8 over on the 65 mph portions.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on December 14, 2018, 03:25:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 14, 2018, 12:35:42 PM

715 is a negligible bypass of Belle Glade. 729 bypasses a good deal of Pahokee.

There's a pretty good chance you'll get held up by something on the two-lanes, but they're fairly wide (save a few old bridges) and usually have paved shoulders. This is sugar cane country, expect to get caught behind at least one truck and one hauling a boat trailer.

US 27 is four lanes and little to see, but that doesn't stop Florida Highway Patrol and the small town cops from excessive speed enforcement from the medians. Keep near the limits in town, and no more than 8 over on the 65 mph portions.

I should add if US 27 is the route of choice then avoid 441 and 80 unless you really have your heart set on seeing the town (it isn't worth it IMO).  441 between Pahokee and Belle Glade has a lot Sheriff patrol vehicles and a lot of unnecessary 45 MPH speed limits.  I've heard Speed traps in Pahokee have been bad but I've never had trouble in the past on 441 going 5 over.  Conversely I've found that FHP tends to enforce the Turnpike very aggressively between 60 and 70.  Granted most people try to go 85 MPH plus which probably doesn't help. 

1995hoo

The only part of US-27 I expect to use is from South Bay down to Weston (and between Griffin Road and Sheridan Street going to and from our relatives' house). Been on that segment before going from Fort Myers to Pembroke Pines, but in that area it's hard to avoid retracing some familiar paths.

We plan to spend Friday night near JAX Airport, then on Saturday we'll loop around to the west and use the new FL-23 down to Lake Asbury (thrilled to avoid Blanding Boulevard). After our visit there, we'll go down to Green Cove Springs to pick up US-17 south through Palatka to some yet-to-be-decided point at which we'll cut southwest to re-clinch FL-429 since the new part opened after our last visit last Christmas. We'll take that to the Turnpike and I was basically trying to decide between the all-highway route to Weston or the Lake Okeechobee route (I know you probably can't see the lake from the road).

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 14, 2018, 05:29:07 PM
We’ll take that to the Turnpike and I was basically trying to decide between the all-highway route to Weston or the Lake Okeechobee route (I know you probably can’t see the lake from the road).

Canal Point offers a spot which is the best "boat-less" way to see Lake Okeechobee without the levee in the way.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.8649649,-80.6313059,17.92z

There isn't much of a way to bypass the city of Okeechobee, but since it's the last bit of civilization on your intended route between there and Pembroke Pines (read: it has a Publix), you may want to stop there.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on December 14, 2018, 05:53:50 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 14, 2018, 05:29:07 PM
We'll take that to the Turnpike and I was basically trying to decide between the all-highway route to Weston or the Lake Okeechobee route (I know you probably can't see the lake from the road).

Canal Point offers a spot which is the best "boat-less" way to see Lake Okeechobee without the levee in the way.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.8649649,-80.6313059,17.92z

There isn't much of a way to bypass the city of Okeechobee, but since it's the last bit of civilization on your intended route between there and Pembroke Pines (read: it has a Publix), you may want to stop there.

Pahokee State Park is unobstructed from Lake Okeechobee as well. 

1995hoo

So from what y'all are saying, there's no real reason not to leave the Turnpike at Yeehaw Junction (if we even take it that far south) and head down around the lake?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 14, 2018, 07:15:17 PM
So from what y'all are saying, there's no real reason not to leave the Turnpike at Yeehaw Junction (if we even take it that far south) and head down around the lake?

Pahokee State Park is right off of US 441/98 in Pahokee just a tad.  Canal Point is the 441/98 route as well.  It really depends on what you want to do, if you head towards Lake Okeechobee you will see it if you stop in the right place.  Slightly to the north at Port Mayaca US 441/98 rises over birm briefly offering a view of the lake. There are also some ghost towns worth seeing down that way if that's worth your while.  Generally my opinions slant towards surface highways  over controlled access, especially when it includes urban areas like Fort Lauderdale or long stretches of nothing. 

Max Rockatansky

Speaking of Florida I'll be visiting myself January 13th to the 21st.  I have a couple photo cliches in mind:

FL 50
FL 19
FL 24
I-4
I-275
FL 618

This isn't the typical mega trip fare I generally do with 10 days plus off.  I'm considering heading down to Everglades National Park for the day but I'll see how I feel about it later.  I'm looking at focusing mainly on the Tampa Bay and Orlando areas if anyone has ideas for anything
New or interesting to see road wise.  To that end if anyone wants to meet up things are pretty open ended plan wise right now. 

1995hoo

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on December 14, 2018, 01:45:21 PM
Whenever I use Google maps for directions I calculate the average speed required to achieve their estimated travel time.  If that looks unrealistic then I recalculate the time using a more appropriate average speed.

BTW, I didn't get around to responding to this before. The point of my question was that the roads down past Lake Okeechobee are roads I have not travelled before (other than US-27 south of South Bay), so I don't have a good way to gauge what is a "realistic" or "appropriate" average speed because I don't know what to expect. Hence why I asked for feedback and why I asked whether Google's estimate was reasonable. Google Maps, or for that matter any other electronic mapping database, isn't much good for estimating whether you're likely to get stuck behind yokels driving tractors or poking along in 50-year-old pickups, and unless you want to spend a crazy amount of time doing a virtual drive it won't tell you what sort of passing zones exist on the two-lane roads (I'm sure most of us have experienced the frustration of being stuck on a road that has no, or almost no, passing zones).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.