News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

is the rounding of the upper left and right corners a new standard?  looks like extra rounded compared to other TOLL shields which I have seen.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

It might be who they (meaning the Mid-Bay Bridge Toll Authority) gets to make the signs for them. I've noticed that a lot of the signage up here is slightly different than in other areas of Florida though.

realjd

I'm hoping that FDOT uses this as an excuse to get rid of those ridiculous widened TOLL shields that you see around on BGS's. Rather than making the shield larger enough to fit the three digit number, they stretched it horizontally and used a small font. They're ugly as hell.

kharvey10

It was horrible sight in Ft. Lauderdale area.  Not only on the state highway shields, but also on the BGS for good measure.  The best part was finding white on green FL 869 shields on the county roads not far from the Toll 869.  I didn't take pics but you can get a good load of it on street view.  (Dad was driving and I get little say when he drives, would had 869 clinched but did not have any change for those exact change toll booths.)

formulanone

On a half-mile stretch along US 441 and the Sawgrass Expressway, there's at least four different types of SR 869 signs with different TOLL designations...no consistency! (Which is kind of cool, to me, at least...it might bug some members here.)

The green SR 869 Toll signs were short-lived; they popped up around 1996 or so, when the Sawgrass Expressway "frog" signs were removed in lots of places. A few months later, small signs below the directional arrows popped in to remind you the that the locals do not generally call it Florida State Road 869.

agentsteel53

I remember seeing a green shield with white legend in the Clearwater area.  If I had to force a guess, I'd say 527 but that might not even be a toll road.

It was in awful rush hour traffic and I just wanted to get the hell out of there, so I didn't stop to take a photo

jake@aaroads.com

Ace10

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 16, 2011, 11:46:49 PM
I remember seeing a green shield with white legend in the Clearwater area.  If I had to force a guess, I'd say 527 but that might not even be a toll road.

It was in awful rush hour traffic and I just wanted to get the hell out of there, so I didn't stop to take a photo

527 probably refers to Orange Ave in the Orlando area - both a state road and county road number designation.

You might be talking about 618 (Tampa Selmon Crosstown Expressway) or 589 (Veterans Expressway); both are toll roads in the Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area.

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 16, 2011, 11:46:49 PM
60 on an overhead? (It's gone now since SR 60 was rerouted onto SR 651 and a new bridge.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on June 17, 2011, 01:33:29 AM
60 on an overhead?

nope, not that one, but that is an awesome shield.  have never seen that style before in FL.  

the shield I refer to had this color scheme, but was a cutout on a pole, like the ones seen in the background. 

oh, and more modern lighter green.  the shield I remember didn't look old at all, just an unusual color scheme.

jake@aaroads.com

kharvey10

Found more ugly orange state outline toll FL shields on the turnpike in the Orlando area going northbound even snapped a few pictures.  Even found a non-neutered I-75 shield off US 301 interchange with the turnpike (didn't have camera ready for that one), even though it did look like crap (compared to what you normally see on the Turnpike) and it was a FTE sign.
street view of it

florida

Quote from: flaroads on June 11, 2011, 05:52:31 PM
It might be who they (meaning the Mid-Bay Bridge Toll Authority) gets to make the signs for them. I've noticed that a lot of the signage up here is slightly different than in other areas of Florida though.

Those horrible popcorn shields come to mind.
So many roads...so little time.

Ace10

Snapped some pictures on I-75 southbound near Exit 5 for Florida's Turnpike. The BGSs feature the yellow toll banner over the Turnpike shield.

http://astareglobe.org/public/FL-I75_S_MM5_2011-06-17_0.jpg

http://astareglobe.org/public/FL-I75_S_MM5_2011-06-17_1.jpg

kharvey10

061 by Kimmy1978, on Flickr
Here is one with the orange state outline found on the turnpike in the Orlando area.

Ace10

Quote from: kharvey10 on June 21, 2011, 03:46:24 PM
Here is one with the orange state outline found on the turnpike in the Orlando area.

KHarvey, I thought you meant "ugly" as in the yellow toll banner with orange state outline. You're talking about the ones with the green banner too?

EDIT: Thought I'd add more pictures that I took heading out of the Keys. This trip took me on US 1, FL 821 (Turnpike Homestead Extension), FL 874 (Don Shula Expressway), FL 826 (Palmetto Expressway), I 95, FL 70, and eventually back to the Turnpike. These pictures are on FL 821 and FL 874 and feature the yellow toll banner. There was another one (the original, I think) on FL 826 at the interchange to FL 924 (Gratigny Parkway) that I saw last year, but I didn't get a picture of that one.

I apologize for the quality of the pics. They were taken with a camera phone as I was flying down the highway at 70mph in Miami traffic. But I think they still turned out alright.

Turnpike, Exit 17 to FL 874 (TO FL 826)

FL 874 (Don Shula), showing FL 874 and FL 878 (Snapper Creek) shields

FL 874 reassurance marker after the last toll gantry. Notice the white TOLL legend is removed.

realjd

You were driving in Miami traffic and ONLY going 70? :)

I'm due for another keys trip. I try to get down there a couple of times a year.

Ace10

Quote from: realjd on June 23, 2011, 07:52:12 AM
You were driving in Miami traffic and ONLY going 70? :)

I'm due for another keys trip. I try to get down there a couple of times a year.

Hahaha. At least I think I was going 70. The wire you see protruding from the windshield is my GlobalSat GPS receiver hooked up to my netbook. It tracks my lat, lon, heading, and speed for all my major trips, so I'll take a look at the trip data and see what my max speed was in the Miami area. Just for schitz and giggles, ya know...

DeaconG

Took a cruise up I-95 this evening in the Titusville area-there are jersey barriers installed on the inside shoulders of the interstate between SR 50 and SR 406 and they have begun work on sound walls on the northbound side.  In addition, signals have been installed on SR 406 at the I-95 northbound on/off ramps (which was BADLY needed, IMHO).
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

xcellntbuy

Quote from: formulanone on June 16, 2011, 11:41:25 PM
On a half-mile stretch along US 441 and the Sawgrass Expressway, there's at least four different types of SR 869 signs with different TOLL designations...no consistency! (Which is kind of cool, to me, at least...it might bug some members here.)

The green SR 869 Toll signs were short-lived; they popped up around 1996 or so, when the Sawgrass Expressway "frog" signs were removed in lots of places. A few months later, small signs below the directional arrows popped in to remind you the that the locals do not generally call it Florida State Road 869.

Many of the shields and BGS at US 441/FL 7 and the Sawgrass Expressway were destroyed during Hurricane Wilma.  The grassy loop to the west of US 441 was filled with hundreds of broken, twisted signs and heeps of broken traffic lights for a longtime after the storm.  It has been a hodgepodge of green shields, white shields, etc. ever since.

xcellntbuy

Looks like there have been a lot of changes along FL 874/FL 878 area.  I have not been down that far in several years.  I only get down as far as Flagler Street and FL 826 for meetings once a quarter where there are LOTS of rebuilding and reconstruction of the FL 836/FL 826 interchange and other exits.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: realjd on May 04, 2011, 07:54:11 AM
No gore, or any other permenant signage. The first sign said:

PINEDA
CSWY
1 MILE

The second, right at the start of the exit, said

PINEDA
CSWY
--->

and was flashing quickly.

Keep in mind that Community Asphalt (the I-95 contractor) wasn't planning on opening their portion for another 3 or 4 months. They were forced by the state to do it early. I wouldn't expect actual signage until closer to then.

Any update on new permanent signage yet?  Just was curious. ;)

realjd

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 02, 2011, 04:56:36 AM
Quote from: realjd on May 04, 2011, 07:54:11 AM
No gore, or any other permenant signage. The first sign said:

PINEDA
CSWY
1 MILE

The second, right at the start of the exit, said

PINEDA
CSWY
--->

and was flashing quickly.

Keep in mind that Community Asphalt (the I-95 contractor) wasn't planning on opening their portion for another 3 or 4 months. They were forced by the state to do it early. I wouldn't expect actual signage until closer to then.

Any update on new permanent signage yet?  Just was curious. ;)

None yet. All other new signage for the widening project is installed but nothing at Pineda. They haven't even poured the foundations for the gantries as of yesterday. They are busily working on final paving for the third lane though. It's actually done in a few spots with the right lane coned off to keep people from using it.

There is new construction from the 528 north to the Volusia county line. It's not adding an extra lane contrary to popular belief. They are repaving and adding a much needed median crash barrier.

DeaconG

There is new construction from the 528 north to the Volusia county line. It's not adding an extra lane contrary to popular belief. They are repaving and adding a much needed median crash barrier.

Well someone needs to tell FDOT District 5 that:

http://www.cflroads.com/Project/Details/52/405506_2_I_95_Widening_from_SR_528_to_south_of_SR_406

Not that I doubt you, of course.  This project has shifted it's focus so many times that I wouldn't believe it until they finally built it-or not.  Originally it was supposed to be SR 528 to the Volusia county line, then SR 528 to SR 50, then JUST between SR 528 and the Port St. John exit, and now back to SR 406.
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

realjd

Quote from: DeaconG on July 03, 2011, 12:56:03 AM

Well someone needs to tell FDOT District 5 that:

http://www.cflroads.com/Project/Details/52/405506_2_I_95_Widening_from_SR_528_to_south_of_SR_406

Not that I doubt you, of course.  This project has shifted it's focus so many times that I wouldn't believe it until they finally built it-or not.  Originally it was supposed to be SR 528 to the Volusia county line, then SR 528 to SR 50, then JUST between SR 528 and the Port St. John exit, and now back to SR 406.

I should know better than to get my info from Florida Today. What I'm talking about is Near Future Construction #2 here:
http://www.dot.state.fl.us/publicinformationoffice/construc/pdf%20files/BREVARD.pdf

I guess they are adding a lane to SR406, then repaving and crash barriers to the Volusia line.

DeaconG

I should know better than to get my info from Florida Today.

:-D  :nod::pan:

Too bad they don't have a dump-truck-with-salt smiley!

D-Dey65

Anybody know the exact points where the "Backwoods Trail" exists along Florida State Road 19? I know the north end of that concurrency is at some National Forest Road that runs through Ocala National Forest, but where's the south end of that concurrency? And no, I'm not talking about the spur of the Black Bear Scenic Byway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.