News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Are the State Farmers Markets some of the last places to find big 'ol button copy signs? I saw one in Immokalee a few months ago.

Alex

Anyone have some eastbound pics of Interstate 10 from Baldwin east to downtown that I can use to update the site (full credit given of course)? I have no photos of Exit 350 (State Road 23) for instance and the pics I have east of Baldwin are dark/grainy ones from March 2010. I do have some photos Kevin took last September between Interstates 295 and 95 though.

NE2

I've been meaning to get up there since construction ended. Maybe before the end of the year I'll have some.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Have not debuted it yet, but you can go from the Alabama state line to Interstate 95 with more recent photos on the new Interstate 10 eastbound guides.

NE2

You have two links to https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida010/i-010_eb_exit_362_12.jpg instead of the second going to https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida010/i-010_eb_exit_362_13.jpg.

Anyway, about this photo:

US 17 and SR 228 are not signed to follow I-95 to US 23. Instead this exit leads to the recently-rebuilt Forest Street and on to the old route past the north end of SR 13. But then what happens? US 17 shields have been removed at the SR 13 interchange, and the old route cannot be followed beyond there, since the ramp from Water Street to Ocean Street has been closed.

I'm also confused about the duplicate ramp to I-95 north on the far left (closed at the time the photo was taken). Why is this here? Will it be more useful when I-95 is rebuilt through downtown?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quote from: NE2 on July 28, 2011, 03:09:35 AM
You have two links to https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida010/i-010_eb_exit_362_12.jpg instead of the second going to https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida010/i-010_eb_exit_362_13.jpg.

Fixed, thanks.

Anyway, about this photo:
<snip>
US 17 and SR 228 are not signed to follow I-95 to US 23. Instead this exit leads to the recently-rebuilt Forest Street and on to the old route past the north end of SR 13. But then what happens? US 17 shields have been removed at the SR 13 interchange, and the old route cannot be followed beyond there, since the ramp from Water Street to Ocean Street has been closed.

I'm also confused about the duplicate ramp to I-95 north on the far left (closed at the time the photo was taken). Why is this here? Will it be more useful when I-95 is rebuilt through downtown?

I updated that caption based upon what you wrote. When I was last in downtown Jacksonville, I drove a lot of the streets signed as US highways and noted that US 17 kind of just "appeared" as you head north. The gap explanation makes sense as to what happens with the route.

NE2

US 17 is supposed to continue to US 23, as approved by AASHTO, and I think it is signed that way southbound. Personally I would put it on the Forsyth-Adams one-way pair, which has the advantage of leading directly into the SR 228 freeway.

DeaconG

It leads to the new express lanes for I-95.  The other ramp leads to new C/D lanes for Forest Street, Forsyth Street and Monroe Street.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

NE2

Quote from: DeaconG on July 28, 2011, 09:40:56 PM

It leads to the new express lanes for I-95.  The other ramp leads to new C/D lanes for Forest Street, Forsyth Street and Monroe Street.

Yes, but the 'other ramp' is the one that's signed for I-95 north at the initial split (unless signs have changed since the ramp opened): https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida010/i-010_eb_exit_362_02.jpg

rickmastfan67

What I'm wondering is if FDOT fixed their posting of US-1/90 and put them onto I-95 for a short segment and posted FL-5 on the surface alignment. :sombrero:

NE2

I'd rather they fixed their records to keep US 1/90 signed as-is. Florida's been very good at keeping U.S. Routes on surface streets; the only one moved onto an Interstate (US 17) was given to the city and became a local street.

Alex

Running errands in Pensacola this afternoon, I discovered a brand new Florida 750 shield posted west of the intersection with Florida 289 (Ninth Avenue). The shapefiles from FDOT have shown Airport Boulevard as a state road west to SR 291 for a couple of years now. This is the first time however, that any shield has appeared west of SR 289. Did not check out the intersection with SR 291 for new signage, but will keep it in mind for future trips over.

Also for anyone familiar with the intersection of SR 750 and 12th Avenue, all of the trees on the northeastern corner were leveled for future business development associated with the airport.

mstgator

Can't speak for what the current layout/signage is, but the maps on the official site for the interchange confirm what DeaconG described.

http://thebigi.info/look.htm#
http://thebigi.info/images/1095-phase-map_SEPT_2010_lg.gif

DeaconG

Looks like the on-again, off again First Coast Outer Beltway in the Jacksonville area is now a go, according to FDOT:

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/publicinformationoffice/moreDOT/spenews/First%20Coast%20Outer%20Beltway%20Announcement.pdf

Now for the fun part...nowhere in this announcement is any mention of the linking of said beltway from Blanding Boulevard to I-95 via the new Shands Bridge (which were in previous plans)...so no high speed bypass of Jacksonville for you!
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

D-Dey65

Earlier this week, FDOT Region #7 opened up the new relocated northbound off-ramp to Exit 275, which also includes an off-ramp from the I-275 flyover. I shot a video of it with my camera on Tuesday, but I might swipe some stills of it from the video.

UPDATE: Looks like FDOT already has two of them:
http://www.mytbi.com/gallery/details.asp?fileID=600
http://www.mytbi.com/gallery/details.asp?fileID=601
They really should change the exit number from I-275 to Exit 60, though.

NE2

From the latest GIS data it looks like SR 3 has been re-extended back to the KSC border.

realjd

Quote from: NE2 on September 06, 2011, 12:23:15 AM
From the latest GIS data it looks like SR 3 has been re-extended back to the KSC border.

Where did it end before? I didn't know it had been truncated. It has certainly been signed as SR3 from the south KSC gate for at least the past few years.

NE2

Quote from: realjd on September 06, 2011, 06:34:35 AM
Quote from: NE2 on September 06, 2011, 12:23:15 AM

Where did it end before? I didn't know it had been truncated. It has certainly been signed as SR3 from the south KSC gate for at least the past few years.

I'm pretty sure I remember signage ending at SR 528 at one time.

formulanone

On business in Palm Beach County last week, first up was this weird sign for the Florida's Turnpike...it appears to be some sort of love child between the standard FT sign and a Florida State Road sign. It was just put up in August, according to the decal on the back. It's located on Boynton Beach Boulevard, about a mile east of the Turnpike.

A nice US 1 cutout heading east towards its intersection of Blue Heron Blvd:

And I found it odd that SR 710 is signed right up to the Port of Palm Beach entry:

NE2

Quote from: formulanone on September 06, 2011, 09:13:58 AM
A nice US 1 cutout heading east towards its intersection of Blue Heron Blvd:
Nice? Nah, just a guide sign shield.

agentsteel53

someone needs to walk up to that US-1 sign and paint an inner black border on it.

as for the Turnpike sign: I wonder if that is actually made to a very old standard.  I know the first generation of Penna Turnpike signs were white with black legend.  What about Florida?  Green with white legend was first seriously used starting in 1957 when the AASHO interstate manual introduced the idea nationwide. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 06, 2011, 11:25:15 AM
What about Florida?  Green with white legend was first seriously used starting in 1957 when the AASHO interstate manual introduced the idea nationwide. 
Nope - Sunshine State Parkway (old name) signs were also white on green: http://www.gribblenation.com/flpics/vintage/f28.jpg (Michael Summa, 1982)

Ace10

Formulanone, I spotted a Florida's Turnpike trailblazer that is the complete opposite of the one you posted. This one is on US 27 northbound just south of the Turnpike. They are just like the standard state road shield, but the state outline is white on green (same colors as the Turnpike shield). Unfortunately I'm in Mississippi at the moment and probably won't be able to get a picture until I'm there again in October.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Ace10 on September 06, 2011, 12:51:05 PM
Formulanone, I spotted a Florida's Turnpike trailblazer that is the complete opposite of the one you posted. This one is on US 27 northbound just south of the Turnpike. They are just like the standard state road shield, but the state outline is white on green (same colors as the Turnpike shield). Unfortunately I'm in Mississippi at the moment and probably won't be able to get a picture until I'm there again in October.

I'd definitely like to see a picture of that!  Does it have "Florida's Turnpike" squeezed in where a number would ordinarily go?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DeaconG

Update on the I-95 widening projects in Brevard (north and south):

On the south end, there isn't much activity; they have begun repaving I-95 between US 192 and Palm Bay Road, but the sections between US 192 and the Lake Washington Road overpass and from the Pineda Causeway extension to Fiske Boulevard remain with the original pavement; of course, there is no signage at the Pineda Causeway extension exit (saving it for last on purpose?).

On the north end, things are ramping up fast; there are now lane shifts across the entire section of I-95 from SR 528 to SR 406 including Jersey barriers across the majority of the project area, especially between SR 528 and Port St. John Blvd, at the Addison Canal and between the Fox Lake Road overpass and SR 406.  The sound walls in that area that were being put up are virtually complete.

There will be periodic lane closings and lane shifts especially during the evening; if you are driving through this area be real careful of the po-po as not only the FHP's and BCSO but also the Titusville police are out on the northern section at night.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.