News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

^^^
SB I95 had the third lane open for several weeks south of 192, but they blocked it off again for no reason. The pavement is all done, and it fed nicely into the 3rd lane between Palm Bay Road and Malabar. Maybe they contractually aren't allowed to open the lane early or something?

It's getting close. I'm looking forward to having that third lane the whole way between my usual Malabar Road exit and the 528.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: realjd on July 02, 2011, 10:36:04 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 02, 2011, 04:56:36 AM
Quote from: realjd on May 04, 2011, 07:54:11 AM
No gore, or any other permenant signage. The first sign said:

PINEDA
CSWY
1 MILE

The second, right at the start of the exit, said

PINEDA
CSWY
--->

and was flashing quickly.

Keep in mind that Community Asphalt (the I-95 contractor) wasn't planning on opening their portion for another 3 or 4 months. They were forced by the state to do it early. I wouldn't expect actual signage until closer to then.

Any update on new permanent signage yet?  Just was curious. ;)

None yet. All other new signage for the widening project is installed but nothing at Pineda. They haven't even poured the foundations for the gantries as of yesterday. They are busily working on final paving for the third lane though. It's actually done in a few spots with the right lane coned off to keep people from using it.

There is new construction from the 528 north to the Volusia county line. It's not adding an extra lane contrary to popular belief. They are repaving and adding a much needed median crash barrier.

Any new updates on the signage yet? :P lol. ;)

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 06, 2011, 03:20:49 PM
Quote from: Ace10 on September 06, 2011, 12:51:05 PM
Formulanone, I spotted a Florida's Turnpike trailblazer that is the complete opposite of the one you posted. This one is on US 27 northbound just south of the Turnpike. They are just like the standard state road shield, but the state outline is white on green (same colors as the Turnpike shield). Unfortunately I'm in Mississippi at the moment and probably won't be able to get a picture until I'm there again in October.

I'd definitely like to see a picture of that!  Does it have "Florida's Turnpike" squeezed in where a number would ordinarily go?
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=clermont,+fl&hl=en&ll=28.642766,-81.806324&spn=0.016817,0.041199&gl=us&t=k&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=28.642693,-81.80642&panoid=OJp_sXKdusLvHFpdCK2jYw&cbp=12,279.51,,2,-8.17

Another abnormal style (probably put up by Orange County): http://maps.google.com/maps?q=clermont,+fl&hl=en&ll=28.552542,-81.542115&spn=0.016831,0.041199&gl=us&t=k&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=28.55263,-81.542123&panoid=YKg8ix96zyEU_huYKKbLMQ&cbp=12,233.91,,2,-0.59
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ace10

Formulanone, I spotted a Florida's Turnpike trailblazer that is the complete opposite of the one you posted. This one is on US 27 northbound just south of the Turnpike. They are just like the standard state road shield, but the state outline is white on green (same colors as the Turnpike shield). Unfortunately I'm in Mississippi at the moment and probably won't be able to get a picture until I'm there again in October.

I'd definitely like to see a picture of that!  Does it have "Florida's Turnpike" squeezed in where a number would ordinarily go?

I poked around on SouthEastRoads and couldn't find the sign I saw, so I made a quick mockup. The wording is probably inaccurate ("Florida's Turnpike" is probably just "Turnpike") but the white state outline is definitely the same as the real sign. Next time I'm in that area, which will be October, I'll be sure to grab a picture of the signs (there are multiple ones Northbound - not sure about Southbound).

Edit: NE2 beat me to it, like 10 hours ago, lol. Should've thought about Google Maps. That first link posted is very close to the sign I saw. The mockup I made should be of the sign that is posted just two miles south of the one linked. I'll poke around Google Maps some and see if I can find it.

Edit #2: Found them! The sign is located at 28.634053N,81.778012W. Below are the two best shots I could get from Street View:

Alex

Quote from: NE2 on September 07, 2011, 06:00:39 AM

Another abnormal style (probably put up by Orange County): http://maps.google.com/maps?q=clermont,+fl&hl=en&ll=28.552542,-81.542115&spn=0.016831,0.041199&gl=us&t=k&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=28.55263,-81.542123&panoid=YKg8ix96zyEU_huYKKbLMQ&cbp=12,233.91,,2,-0.59

I have seen those other Florida's Turnpike trailblazer and am searching through my archives to see if I have photographed it. In the meantime I found a photo of the shield assembly on the other side of Maguire Road:

Taken 04-11-08.

Ace10

You have to wonder if these BGSs and trailblazers are made by county sign shops. I think Maguire Rd is a county road (not sure of the number off hand ... 438 or 439?), and I have seen that style in a few other spots (one image posted below). But that doesn't explain the ones on US 27, like NE2 and I posted above. I mean those shields for the Turnpike are so far out of left field. And I figure with US 27 being state maintained, they would post the offical shields at least.

I found some others around the Orlando area. This one is on John Young Pkwy heading Northbound just south of the FL 528 interchange. 28.418151N,81.422535W

And this one is on one of the roads heading out from the Florida Mall. By far the worst shields I've ever seen in person. 28.443877N,81.399287W

realjd

Those shields near the Florida Mall always reminded me of the cartoony ones that the Disney World uses.

Ace10

Quote from: realjd on September 08, 2011, 09:46:56 AM
Those shields near the Florida Mall always reminded me of the cartoony ones that the Disney World uses.

Same here. They could at least make the ones on their BPSs (Big PURPLE signs) MUTCD compliant. Same goes for all of their signs - their speed limits and other warning signs like merges, curves, and advisory speeds are all custom designs. But interestingly once you go beyond the "Service and Authorized Vehicles Only" areas (for Reedy Creek and Cast Members) every sign you encounter is MUTCD compliant, including I-4 and US 192 trailblazers. Go figure.

florida

Quote from: formulanone on September 06, 2011, 09:13:58 AM
And I found it odd that SR 710 is signed right up to the Port of Palm Beach entry:

That, and CR 706 is still signed as SR 706 at SR 710, at least going northbound.

Also, I noticed that any mention of South Street on I-4 westbound has been greened out (on the overhead mileage sign immediately after Colonial) and the South Street exit sign on the old butterfly gantry has been taken down.  

Quote from: NE2 on September 06, 2011, 12:23:15 AM
From the latest GIS data it looks like SR 3 has been re-extended back to the KSC border.

Interesting because there have been Begin/End SR 3 shields at the KSC border for a while.
So many roads...so little time.

DeaconG

Interesting because there have been Begin/End SR 3 shields at the KSC border for a while.

They finally got around to adding Begin/End SR 405 shields about a year ago.  Was very surprised that they got around to it.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Ace10

Quote from: DeaconG on September 08, 2011, 07:34:23 PM

They finally got around to adding Begin/End SR 405 shields about a year ago.  Was very surprised that they got around to it.

Maybe that's why the Kennedy Space Center Visitor's Complex still thinks they're located on State Road 405 (I saw this on a sales receipt from the food court). I thought that was a little odd since I saw the END 405 shield just before Merritt Island while heading there for the first time.

florida

Awesome! Are they located at the pavement change? Will have to get some photos soon.

DeaconG

Quote from: florida on September 08, 2011, 10:33:42 PM

Awesome! Are they located at the pavement change? Will have to get some photos soon.

Yes, right at the border with KSC and the Astronaut Hall of Fame.
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

NE2

I don't think anyone's posted a photo of one of these yet:

Also note that the legislative dual-naming of SR 50 after MLK (from Ocoee to SR 436) has been added to street signs.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Haven't seen any yet in South Florida, except for one on a BGS along southbound I-75 for the Gratigny Parkway.

I haven seen a number of them with no color (just white), for the Sawgrass Expressway (which makes about five different shields for that route):

...while were at it, another Florida's Turnpike shield abomination (thanks for making my state look like a turd, guys!)

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on September 14, 2011, 03:57:54 PM
Haven't seen any yet in South Florida, except for one on a BGS along southbound I-75 for the Gratigny Parkway.

I haven seen a number of them with no color (just white), for the Sawgrass Expressway (which makes about five different shields for that route):

...while were at it, another Florida's Turnpike shield abomination (thanks for making my state look like a turd, guys!)

The HEFT is full of yellow banner toll shields.

Ace10

Quote from: realjd on September 15, 2011, 07:50:45 PMThe HEFT is full of yellow banner toll shields.

SR 874 (Don Shula Expressway) also has yellow toll shields on BGS's to SR 878 and for reassurance BGSs for SR 874. And as realjd mentioned, the HEFT has a few too - including the ones on BGSs to SR 874. Southbound I-75 also has one for the HEFT Southbound. I posted some pictures here.

FLRoads

Short photo set from the newest portion of Florida 293 that opened southeast of Niceville earlier this summer:

Opening in July, Florida 293 now reaches Range Road about 1.4 miles east of Florida 20 southeast of Niceville. Locals may use this northernmost entry point of Florida 293 to travel south to Destin on the south side of Choctowhatchee Bay.

Florida 293 heads southward to intersect with Florida 20 in 0.5 miles. The Bluewater Bay development can be reached via the SPUI ahead and lies northwest along Florida 20.

Sign advising southbound motorists of the toll plaza ahead of the Mid-Bay Bridge across Choctowhatchee Bay.

Northbound on-ramp from Lakeshore Drive onto Florida 293. A pair of signs alert motorists of the upcoming SPUI with Florida 20.

Florida 293 north currently ends at Range Road. Construction is taking place to extend Florida 293 northwestward toward Florida 285 and Florida 85, where the planned toll facility will end at a trumpet interchange. Florida 293 should open fully by 2014.

Sign bridge for Florida 293 north and south along Florida 20 east. Once completed, Florida 293 will stretch from U.S. 98 in Destin to Florida 85 north of Niceville.

The planned open road toll facility will eventually link with Florida 85 north of Niceville, having interchanges at Lakeshore Drive, Florida 20, Range Road and Florida 285. 
All photos taken 9/17/2011 by ABRoads.

florida

^^That's awesome! I like the regular shields for the route.

Just to update, SR 582 in Tarpon Springs is no more...

realjd

Pineda Causeway Signage Update:
They've just put in the foundations for the gantries, and the gantries are all on-site and not yet assembled. No sign of actual signs yet though.

The third lane is currently open from just south of the Pineda Causeway north. Like the third lane open from 192 south last month, I expect it won't stay open for long.

DeaconG

Quote from: realjd on September 20, 2011, 04:02:08 PM
Pineda Causeway Signage Update:
They've just put in the foundations for the gantries, and the gantries are all on-site and not yet assembled. No sign of actual signs yet though.

The third lane is currently open from just south of the Pineda Causeway north. Like the third lane open from 192 south last month, I expect it won't stay open for long.

I saw that lane open this past weekend, except they'd only done it for the northbound side, not the southbound...and oh, what a difference it made!  The traffic just melted away!

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on September 07, 2011, 06:00:39 AM

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=clermont,+fl&hl=en&ll=28.642766,-81.806324&spn=0.016817,0.041199&gl=us&t=k&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=28.642693,-81.80642&panoid=OJp_sXKdusLvHFpdCK2jYw&cbp=12,279.51,,2,-8.17

Seeing this post makes me wonder are there any TOLL SR-91 signs on the mainline turnpike?

I would like to see them and change the HEFT to 91 as well to be consistent with the mile markers. 

And hell why we are at it why not sign as a Southern I-91.  But that would confuse some poor sap from Springfiled, Mass  wondering why I-91 dumps him onto I-75 in Wildwood FL with out ever going thru Hartford

realjd

Quote from: jwolfer on September 26, 2011, 11:28:01 AM
Seeing this post makes me wonder are there any TOLL SR-91 signs on the mainline turnpike?

I would like to see them and change the HEFT to 91 as well to be consistent with the mile markers. 

And hell why we are at it why not sign as a Southern I-91.  But that would confuse some poor sap from Springfiled, Mass  wondering why I-91 dumps him onto I-75 in Wildwood FL with out ever going thru Hartford

There are no TOLL-91 shields anywhere AFAIK. The HEFT is signed as a regular portion of the Turnpike, and the mile markers for the entire road start at 0 where the HEFT ends at US1. The exit numbers for the old spur between the HEFT and the I-95/Golden Glades interchange are numbered 1X, 2X, etc.

It's not I-91 for two reasons. First, the Turnpike predates the interstate system. The HEFT is an extension of the Turnpike. Second, it's my understanding that tolled interstates aren't allowed except for the few up north that were grandfathered in.

jwolfer

Quote from: realjd on September 26, 2011, 03:33:51 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on September 26, 2011, 11:28:01 AM

There are no TOLL-91 shields anywhere AFAIK. The HEFT is signed as a regular portion of the Turnpike, and the mile markers for the entire road start at 0 where the HEFT ends at US1. The exit numbers for the old spur between the HEFT and the I-95/Golden Glades interchange are numbered 1X, 2X, etc.

It's not I-91 for two reasons. First, the Turnpike predates the interstate system. The HEFT is an extension of the Turnpike. Second, it's my understanding that tolled interstates aren't allowed except for the few up north that were grandfathered in.

now that they are approving tolling existing interstates that should not be a problem having a tolled interstate. If its good enuf for NJ why not FL.  I remember maps showing the turnpike as 95 in the Ft Pierce to Palm Beach area back in the 1970s

Ace10

Quote from: jwolfer on September 26, 2011, 11:28:01 AMI would like to see them and change the HEFT to 91 as well to be consistent with the mile markers.

The HEFT is just that, an extension. The original Turnpike's southern terminus is at The Golden Glades Interchange with I-95, US 441, and FL 826. The HEFT was constructed west and south to US 1 near Florida City, and is now treated as the southern terminus of the Turnpike, at least as far as mile markers and exit numbers are concerned. Because it's in effect a separate road, it carries the hidden designation of SR 821. There are also no SR 821 shields on the HEFT.

It is my understanding that FDOT, in their GIS shapefiles, identify new alignments with a new Road ID. Such is the case with the HEFT. With that comes a separate state road number. OOCEA, however, will break that rule when SR 429 is eventually extended, and the old alignment of SR 429 will become SR 451.

And that SR 91 shield that is my avatar: you won't see that anywhere in the field.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.