News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: Ace10 on September 26, 2011, 07:51:35 PM
The HEFT is just that, an extension. The original Turnpike's southern terminus is at The Golden Glades Interchange with I-95, US 441, and FL 826. The HEFT was constructed west and south to US 1 near Florida City, and is now treated as the southern terminus of the Turnpike, at least as far as mile markers and exit numbers are concerned. Because it's in effect a separate road, it carries the hidden designation of SR 821. There are also no SR 821 shields on the HEFT.

What irks me is that back in 1993, I once saw two "FL 821" shields on a pair of BGS right at US 27 (N. Okeechobee Road), indicating that there's ramps north and southbound on the HEFT. No camera with me at the time (didn't matter, I barely had any money for developing film on my budget), but my guess is that they're long gone. That's the only time I've ever seen that secret number signed in the field, and I can't even prove it...D'oh.

This is what you get now. How many times do we need a reminder that it's a TOLL road?

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on September 27, 2011, 08:22:25 AM
This is what you get now. How many times do we need a reminder that it's a TOLL road?

Florida tried to argue the stupid yellow toll banner rule but they told the state to bugger off: https://ceprofs.civil.tamu.edu/ghawkins/MTC-Files/2011-01_Meeting/2009%20MUTCD%20Letter%20to%20Mendez%2010-05-10.pdf

formulanone

Quote from: realjd on September 27, 2011, 09:17:18 AM
Florida tried to argue the stupid yellow toll banner rule but they told the state to bugger off: https://ceprofs.civil.tamu.edu/ghawkins/MTC-Files/2011-01_Meeting/2009%20MUTCD%20Letter%20to%20Mendez%2010-05-10.pdf

That's it, secession! First they take away our colored US shields, and now this. Not as if the rest of the country wouldn't mind:

-----------------------------------------------------

Slightly off-topic question...what is a "popcorn shield"? I found a few references to it in other threads for Florida State Road signs, but can't find one linking to a picture of one. I take it that it's an ugly FL shield, but now I'm curious.

Ace10

I've seen 91 posted in the field, but only on those blue construction funding signs. I've seen the same for SR 8 (I-10) and SR 400 (I-4). Along the whole length of the turnpike (plus the HEFT), I haven't seen any other mention of the numbers. There may very well be some at interchanges like the ones you mentioned (and like the weird ones on US 27 which I hope to get pictures of in October), but none on the actual RoW.

That TOLL 528 mockup in the PDF that realjd posted - laughable. I see that was dated for October 2010. Were there any yellow toll shields (as opposed to green) out in the field around that time? The only one I can think of was for SR 924 near Miami. I didn't see any others spring up until later on. Is there any official documentation for the yellow toll shield becoming the new standard? If so I've got some updating to do for my OpenRoad app.

I find it funny in the letter that they mention "having two different types of toll shields on our toll route system is not good for driver expectancy". I can think of at least FIVE different versions in use today: Green banner with black state outline, green banner with orange state outline, yellow banner with black state outline, yellow banner with orange state outline (at SR 520 and SR 528, right?), and green banner with black state outline with NO "TOLL" legend (SR 874 after last toll gantry). That's not including Florida's Turnpike (with and without the yellow TOLL banner) as well as those weird ones on US 27. So theoretically there are EIGHT different styles of shield that tell the driver it's a TOLL road.

realjd

Quote from: Ace10 on September 27, 2011, 05:42:08 PM
I've seen 91 posted in the field, but only on those blue construction funding signs. I've seen the same for SR 8 (I-10) and SR 400 (I-4). Along the whole length of the turnpike (plus the HEFT), I haven't seen any other mention of the numbers. There may very well be some at interchanges like the ones you mentioned (and like the weird ones on US 27 which I hope to get pictures of in October), but none on the actual RoW.

That TOLL 528 mockup in the PDF that realjd posted - laughable. I see that was dated for October 2010. Were there any yellow toll shields (as opposed to green) out in the field around that time? The only one I can think of was for SR 924 near Miami. I didn't see any others spring up until later on. Is there any official documentation for the yellow toll shield becoming the new standard? If so I've got some updating to do for my OpenRoad app.

I find it funny in the letter that they mention "having two different types of toll shields on our toll route system is not good for driver expectancy". I can think of at least FIVE different versions in use today: Green banner with black state outline, green banner with orange state outline, yellow banner with black state outline, yellow banner with orange state outline (at SR 520 and SR 528, right?), and green banner with black state outline with NO "TOLL" legend (SR 874 after last toll gantry). That's not including Florida's Turnpike (with and without the yellow TOLL banner) as well as those weird ones on US 27. So theoretically there are EIGHT different styles of shield that tell the driver it's a TOLL road.

Here's the FHWA response letter:
https://ceprofs.civil.tamu.edu/ghawkins/MTC-Files/2011-01_Meeting/FDOT-Def%20of%20Std_Option%20Ln%20Signing_Pvmt%20Mkgs_TOLL%20Marker%20%28CTS%20101025-011-2004%29-REPLY.pdf

I have been able to find absolutely nothing about the yellow-bannered toll shields. Even the FTE design guide (which has the Turnpike shield with the yellow banner) doesn't include them. I think we've noticed they're only using them for directional signs leading onto the road, not for reassurance markers on the road itself, but it would be nice to get confirmation.

Ace10

Thanks, realjd. Seems like the FHWA is being pretty cooperative here.

I have noticed FDOT and FTE are using the yellow banner for trailblazers/directionals almost exclusively. I have seen the yellow banner shield on a BGS on a pullthrough for SR 874, so there's at least one use where the own road's shield does have a yellow banner once you're already on the road. Most others I've seen are trailblazers for other roads only - then again, the ones in the Miami area were probably newly-made due to the Toll-by-Plate requirement.

It would be interesting to see what happens with the SR 408 / SR 417 interchange reconstruction, if they decide to make new signs, if they will include the yellow toll banner. May as well be consistent, right?

Ace10

So apparently a new ramp was constructed from Orange CR 437A to SR 429 in the Orlando area. The ramp's been open as of 8 September according to this press release.

Does anyone have any details or pictures of this new ramp? I'm wondering if it enters onto SR 429 north of its SR 414 exit to more easily facilitate access to 414. I'll try to get pictures and details myself when I'm in that area in October.

NE2

Quote from: Ace10 on September 28, 2011, 10:18:51 PM
So apparently a new ramp was constructed from Orange CR 437A to SR 429 in the Orlando area. The ramp's been open as of 8 September according to this press release.

Does anyone have any details or pictures of this new ramp? I'm wondering if it enters onto SR 429 north of its SR 414 exit to more easily facilitate access to 414. I'll try to get pictures and details myself when I'm in that area in October.
It's south of the old one: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.63365&lon=-81.54145&zoom=16&layers=M
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

xcellntbuy

The "18-mile stretch" of the Overseas Highway (US 1) reconstruction has been completed.  The Belize Blue Jersey barriers are a special Conch Republic touch.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/09/28/construction-wraps-on-18-mile-stretch-improvements/

Ace10

Quote from: NE2 on September 28, 2011, 10:53:46 PMIt's south of the old one: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.63365&lon=-81.54145&zoom=16&layers=M

Ah, that's where it is. Thanks for the info, NE2. So much for having access to SR 414 be easier... unless the big new interchange will eventually make it easier. I'll still try to grab some pics when I'm down in October.

realjd

Quote from: xcellntbuy on September 28, 2011, 11:08:03 PM
The "18-mile stretch" of the Overseas Highway (US 1) reconstruction has been completed.  The Belize Blue Jersey barriers are a special Conch Republic touch.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/09/28/construction-wraps-on-18-mile-stretch-improvements/

Excellent! That construction was nasty. I'm driving down there in a few weeks so it finished just in time.

Ace10

I'm glad it's finished, as well. The drive down there wasn't too bad, but it'll be nice to not have construction and a 55 mph speed limit (if memory serves me correctly).

NE2

Quote from: Ace10 on September 28, 2011, 11:20:05 PM
So much for having access to SR 414 be easier... unless the big new interchange will eventually make it easier. I'll still try to grab some pics when I'm down in October.
You'll be able to enter SR 429 north at the new interchange, and then take the ramp to SR 414 east.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ace10

Quote from: NE2 on September 29, 2011, 12:12:14 PM
So much for having access to SR 414 be easier... unless the big new interchange will eventually make it easier. I'll still try to grab some pics when I'm down in October.
You'll be able to enter SR 429 north at the new interchange, and then take the ramp to SR 414 east.

I meant entering SR 414 East from SR 429 South ... if the ramp were north of the SR 414 interchange, leading southbound, that would make access to SR 414 easier. Right now the only access to SR 414 East from SR 429 South is via US 441 - though I'm sure once one is driving south on CR 437A, they missed the opportunity to enter from the north anyway. The next full interchange (likely with ramp tolls) should provide access to SR 429 North and South, with access to SR 414 from SR 429 North.

jwolfer

I think it should have been 4 lanes to match the road to the north and south. Development in the keys is limited by lack of land and a 18 mile stretch of 4 lane hwy would not make any more land magically appear.  Its a pain in the a** to have a2 lane road when you are stuck behind a 75 y/o pulling a Cadillac behind a motor home at 45 MPH.

Card Sound Road has never had much traffic on it when I have been to the keys

NE2

Quote from: Ace10 on September 29, 2011, 01:12:24 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 29, 2011, 12:12:14 PM

I meant entering SR 414 East from SR 429 South ... if the ramp were north of the SR 414 interchange, leading southbound, that would make access to SR 414 easier. Right now the only access to SR 414 East from SR 429 South is via US 441 - though I'm sure once one is driving south on CR 437A, they missed the opportunity to enter from the north anyway. The next full interchange (likely with ramp tolls) should provide access to SR 429 North and South, with access to SR 414 from SR 429 North.

I'm not sure exactly which movement you're talking about. Currently, unless something has been closed, there's direct access between CR 437A and SR 414, direct access between future SR 451 and SR 414, and indirect access between Ocoee-bound SR 429 and SR 414 by using CR 437A.

Lyle

Quote from: jwolfer on September 29, 2011, 01:47:03 PM

I think it should have been 4 lanes to match the road to the north and south. Development in the keys is limited by lack of land and a 18 mile stretch of 4 lane hwy would not make any more land magically appear.  Its a pain in the a** to have a2 lane road when you are stuck behind a 75 y/o pulling a Cadillac behind a motor home at 45 MPH.

I agree completely. It definitely should have two lanes in each direction the whole way.

Ace10

Quote from: NE2 on September 29, 2011, 02:38:59 PMI'm not sure exactly which movement you're talking about. Currently, unless something has been closed, there's direct access between CR 437A and SR 414, direct access between future SR 451 and SR 414, and indirect access between Ocoee-bound SR 429 and SR 414 by using CR 437A.

You're absolutely right! I forgot about that at-grade intersection at SR 414's now western terminus. Oops.

Just the existing ramp from CR 437A to SR 429 South has just been closed and a new one involving the same movements opened just a little further south of the one that was closed. I was thinking a new one should've been placed further north of SR 414, because that at-grade intersection there right now obviously won't be there if they're planning a full interchange.

I poked around OOCEA's site and couldn't find details on just the work being done on the 414/429 interchange, though construction looks like it's in full swing. I guess we'll see in time.

NE2

Quote from: Ace10 on September 29, 2011, 04:26:37 PM
I poked around OOCEA's site and couldn't find details on just the work being done on the 414/429 interchange, though construction looks like it's in full swing. I guess we'll see in time.
http://www.oocea.com/Corporate/oursystem/SR429/assets/SR429SR414interchange.pdf

Ace10

YES! That's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link. I originally saw the plans for the extension, and that didn't have much detail for the interchange in question. The PDF you linked me to shows this detail perfectly. I appreciate it!

Lyle

Major improvements coming to I-95 in Boca Raton

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_s_palm_beach_county/boca_raton/major-improvements-coming-to-i-95-in-boca-raton

I-95 in Boca Raton, Florida, is scheduled to be widened to 10 lanes, and a new interchange is scheduled to be constructed to serve Florida Atlantic University directly from the north.

Highway expanding to 10 lanes

BOCA RATON, Fla. - Interstate 95 in Boca Raton is getting a major makeover in the next five years.

A new interchange to serve Florida Atlantic University is coming sooner than expected.

Plus, the Florida Department of Transportation plans to widen the highway from eight to 10 lanes through most of the city, with construction starting in 2016.

"This is just fabulous," Deputy Mayor Susan Haynie said. "Good news for Boca."

Construction on the Spanish River Boulevard interchange is slated to start in 2013, two years earlier than planned.

The new interchange, to be located about midway between the Spanish River overpass and Yamato Road, will carry FAU traffic directly to the campus.

FAU traffic has long caused backups on Glades Road and I-95. But construction of the Spanish River interchange became paramount as the university built its 30,000-seat football stadium.

The stadium will open Oct. 15.

Last year, FDOT said construction on the interchange would start in 2015. But the state was able to move the project up as other projects have come in under budget.

"We're accelerating as quickly as we can," said Ron Wallace, an FDOT project manager. "It should help alleviate a lot of congestion, especially at the Yamato Road and Glades Road interchanges."

It should take about two years to build the $77 million interchange.

And soon after, the widening should start. FDOT plans to add an extra lane in each direction from just south of Glades Road to Linton Boulevard. Those projects will cost about $51 million.

That stretch of highway has become a bottleneck as much of Palm Beach County to the north has been widened to 10 lanes.

"It's like a missing link," said Randy Whitfield, executive director of the Palm Beach Metropolitan Planning Organization. "That's been one of our top priorities for a number of years."

The additional lanes could end up being express lanes. Wallace said the state transportation department is re-examining the widening projects to see if the additional lanes should be built as express lanes.

State transportation officials consider the express lanes in Miami successful, and are expanding the lanes to Broward County.

All this highway construction in Boca Raton is a complete turnaround from years past. In recent years, transportation officials were projecting no I-95 improvements in the city until 2025.

But as construction costs have decreased in the weak economy, the state transportation department has been able to advance more projects that have been waiting on the sidelines for money to become available.

Haynie is sure that's why Boca Raton now is reaping the benefits, even as it's waited for years for improvements.

"Glades Road is the most congested in the county," she said. "We needed the improvements a couple of years ago."

Copyright © 2011, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

I say this is good news. I am currently a graduate student at Florida Atlantic University, and there is always a lot of traffic in the area. Also, I-95 currently goes down from five lanes in each direction to four at the Congress Avenue exit (Exit 50) in Boca Raton and goes back to five at Commercial Boulevard (Exit 32) in Fort Lauderdale. This causes heavy traffic in the area. I know it is that way mostly for historical reasons rather than for practical reasons, but I am still glad I-95 will be widened.

- Lyle

florida

Quote from: formulanone on September 27, 2011, 10:42:14 AM
Slightly off-topic question...what is a "popcorn shield"? I found a few references to it in other threads for Florida State Road signs, but can't find one linking to a picture of one. I take it that it's an ugly FL shield, but now I'm curious.

They are signs indigenous to Escambia, Santa Rosa and Okaloosa Counties. I don't know why District 3 allows them, but they're horrible.

https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida090/us-090_eb_app_fl-742.jpg
So many roads...so little time.

realjd

Quote from: florida on October 04, 2011, 09:14:09 PM
Quote from: formulanone on September 27, 2011, 10:42:14 AM

They are signs indigenous to Escambia, Santa Rosa and Okaloosa Counties. I don't know why District 3 allows them, but they're horrible.

https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/florida090/us-090_eb_app_fl-742.jpg

Have you written them to ask? Those are hideous!

EDIT: fixed mangled quote

codyg1985

Quote from: DeaconG on September 09, 2011, 11:41:16 AM
Quote from: florida on September 08, 2011, 10:33:42 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on September 08, 2011, 07:34:23 PM
Interesting because there have been Begin/End SR 3 shields at the KSC border for a while.

They finally got around to adding Begin/End SR 405 shields about a year ago.  Was very surprised that they got around to it.

Awesome! Are they located at the pavement change? Will have to get some photos soon.

Yes, right at the border with KSC and the Astronaut Hall of Fame.

Here is an assembly inside of KSC that says TO FL 405 and TO US 1:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kennedy+space+center,+fl&hl=en&ll=28.525831,-80.664153&spn=0.030127,0.038581&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=54.928982,79.013672&vpsrc=6&hq=kennedy+space+center,&hnear=Florida&t=h&fll=28.520929,-80.665741&fspn=0.030128,0.038581&z=15&layer=c&cbll=28.52571,-80.664172&panoid=y0mSJ-igVBu5W5XC3O51ng&cbp=12,8.81,,0,6.81

Interesting that those signs don't appear to have stickers on the back like other FDOT-installed signs, so these may have been installed by the KSC Facilities Office.

Yay, my hobby intersects my job (sort of).
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

DeaconG

They probably were installed by KSC's Facilities Office-there's a few more of them on KSC also, both on the NASA Causeway and Space Commerce Way.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.