News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace10

I got a chance to check out the new alignment and construction on SR 429 today. Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, so I'll just post my observations.

As of today, there is still not complete direct access to/from 429 and 414. 429 at the 414 interchange is reduced to one lane in each direction, and lanes from 414 (when they open) join to 429 to make it two lanes in each direction again.

On 429 north of 414 (both directions) there are new mileposts that reference SR 451. South of the interchange, the mileposts are the same, but have SR 429 on them. The mileposts are similar to Louisiana's where they post the direction, road shield, and mile number on a "uni-sign". The ones on 429 (and on "unmarked" 451) appear to be posted every half mile. I haven't gotten a chance to drive on any other toll roads yet (except for the Turnpike) on this trip, but I will probably get a chance to drive on 408 so I'll report if 408 has these new mileposts as well.

On 429 as well as on "unmarked" 451, the reassurance markers are also uni-signs, but I didn't catch any 451 reassurance markers - the 451 number is only on the mileposts.

It appears a new sign bridge is going up just north of the Forest Park toll barrier. The sign bridge has BGSs for CR 437 (or 437A) on one side and the E-Pass/Cash lanes signs for the other side. I didn't get a chance to get a picture of these because the sign bridge was sideways in the median of the roadway.

I took some other miscellaneous pictures of the mileposts, reassurance markers, and construction and I'll post these as soon as I get them from my camera.

Ace10

New mileposts with State Road 451. Mileage starts at the interchange of 429, 414, and future 451.

New BGSs for accessing 414 East from 429 South and future 451 South.

"TO State Road 429 South". Because under this overpass are the lanes for future 429 (and future 414?).

These are the aforementioned lanes of future 429:

And the last picture: the uni-sign reassurance marker for SR 429.

NE2

Photos from February, before the new direct ramp from 429 south to 414 east opened: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2017.msg134673#msg134673

The remaining connections between 414 and 429 will open Sunday: https://www.oocea.com/TravelersExpressways/UpdatesAlerts/AlertDetails.aspx?id=48
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ace10

Thanks for the news link, NE2. I've been out of Florida for about 9 months so I've been out of the loop with all the new construction going on. I feel kind of lucky to have captured the last remaining days before the new connections open.

I'll try to get up there again with a dedicated photographer with a MUCH better camera to document the last few days of construction.

It's nice to see all the construction coming together now.

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on March 21, 2012, 03:36:09 PM
Huh. They finally changed CR 6. FDOT actually inventories it as CR 675 except for the westernmost 3/4 mile (west of Gillette, where old SR 683 turned south).
Really? I'm getting CR 675 on two other roads:
http://www.dot.state.fl.us/surveyingandmapping/geomap/Mana_c.pdf

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

SR 429 north today:

mefailenglish

They recently activated variable speed limit signs on US 27 in Broward County between Pines Blvd and Griffin Rd (the stretch where the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 and 50).  I'm going to try to get some pictures tomorrow.

florida

For those interested, Straight-Line Diagrams are now available!

http://www2.dot.state.fl.us/straight-linesonline/home.aspx

edit:
Some interesting notes. SR 527 is shown being concurrent with SR 426 from the split-off up to Park Avenue, so that'd make SR 527 have three separate sections.

Lots of I-95 on- and off-ramps are listed in Palm Beach County.

SR 48 is shown concurrent with SR 19 from CR 48 to Central Ave in Howey-in-the-Hills.
So many roads...so little time.

mefailenglish

The variable speed limit zone on US 27 (FL 25) in Broward County:

Heading northbound past Pembroke Road.

Approaching Pines Blvd/FL 820.  The variable speed limit signs shows 50 mph, which is exactly what the old sign showed.

Farther up, beyond Sheridan St.  The variable speed limit sign shows 55 mph, again exactly what the old sign showed.

The variable speed limit zone ends beyond Griffin Rd.

florida

New, but not-so new proposal for a future SR 313 in St. Augustine.

ftp://ftp.bocc.co.st-johns.fl.us/gis/media/MapMart/SR313.pdf

DeaconG

Had some business to take care of in Fort Pierce Thursday so I was able to take a look at the construction progress of widening I-95 in St. Lucie County.

Construction is in full swing from the section of I-95 between SR 60 in Vero Beach south to SR 70 in Fort Pierce; the new center lanes are paved and guardrails were being put in place between SR 68 (Orange Avenue) and SR 614 (Indrio Road), while the center median strip was being graded and prepared from north of SR 614 to SR 60.  The overpasses at SR 614 and SR 713 are currently being widened as well as the overpass over the canal by the rest stop.

There is also widening taking place from the Brevard/Indian River county line for approximately two miles northward with new asphalt pavement on the traveling lanes.

The widening between SR 406 and SR 528 in Brevard is continuing; the center lanes of the little bridge over the Addison Canal is complete and there are lane shifts to the inner lanes there.  Grading and paving of the center lanes is continuing between Fox Lake Road and SR 50 in Titusville and from just south of Port St. John Parkway to Ranch Road in Port St. John.  The work on the overpass as SR 50 is continuing.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

DAL764

Quote from: florida on May 31, 2012, 01:50:16 AM

I will admit that I haven't been to St. Augustine a long (too damn long) time, but is there really a need for what looks to be a bypass? From what I remember in years past, traffic used to flow quite well on US 1, even despite all the traffic lights, particulary the one at SR-312.

Stephane Dumas

I spotted a map showing the proposed 2030 expressway plans of OOCEA
https://www.oocea.com/Portals/0/Images/temp/2030_ConceptDevMap.jpg

DeaconG

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 03, 2012, 10:18:54 AM
I spotted a map showing the proposed 2030 expressway plans of OOCEA
https://www.oocea.com/Portals/0/Images/temp/2030_ConceptDevMap.jpg

I remember seeing this report on their website a year or so ago.

They'll be lucky to get the Wekiva Parkway completed, much less the rest.  I'd love to see the SR 408 extension-the traffic from the current end of the 408 to Bithlo is absolutely atrocious, especially on the weekend; I'd be happy if they just extended it to the 50/520 split.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

realjd

For awhile, the OOCEA projected project maps were showing an extension of SR-404 (Pineda Causeway) in Melbourne out to the southern extension of the 417. I guess that wasn't feasible. At least they're showing a shortcut from 192 up to the 417 in St. Cloud.

florida

Quote from: DAL764 on June 03, 2012, 06:43:55 AM

I will admit that I haven't been to St. Augustine a long (too damn long) time, but is there really a need for what looks to be a bypass? From what I remember in years past, traffic used to flow quite well on US 1, even despite all the traffic lights, particulary the one at SR-312.

I'm guessing that they want it for better access to/from St. Augustine Beach to the outlet malls...or as another evacuation route to funnel traffic up to SR 16...or to include better access to Northeast Florida Regional Airport from I-95.

The only good thing about the road is it will be limited access with two interchanges, one at CR 214 and the other at SR 16.

NE2

Quote from: florida on June 06, 2012, 01:34:20 PM
The only good thing about the road is it will be limited access with two interchanges, one at CR 214 and the other at SR 16.
Is there a map showing the interchanges? Or have plans not been finalized?

florida

Quote from: NE2 on June 06, 2012, 01:39:16 PM

Yes and yes. This is the map:

Related articles:
http://staugustine.firstcoastnews.com/news/transportation/69443-fdot-public-hearing-thursday-proposed-western-bypass

http://m.staugustine.com/news/local-news/2012-01-12

NE2

Quote from: florida on June 06, 2012, 01:51:00 PM
Quote from: NE2 on June 06, 2012, 01:39:16 PM

Yes and yes. This is the map:

Wrong link? All I see is at-grade intersections.

jwolfer

Quote from: DAL764 on June 03, 2012, 06:43:55 AM

St Augustine is really becoming more and more a suburb of Jacksonville.  Northern St Johns County is pretty much suburbs.  The entire county is growing and Flagler County to the south has grown tremendously... in 2000 it was the fastest grwoing county in the US. St A is the bigger shopping destination for Palm Coast. 

The growth added to the tourist traffic has St A pretty congested especially from CR 214 to SR 312.  US 1 from Jax to St A used to be faster than taking 95 the speed limit was 65 for most of the way... not so much anymore. There are a lot more traffic lights and busineses in Southern Duval and Norhtern St Johns

florida

Quote from: NE2 on June 06, 2012, 02:13:35 PM

Wrong link? All I see is at-grade intersections.

http://www.co.st-johns.fl.us/media/LegislativeActionPlan.pdf

"g) Funding assistance is requested for two portions of the SR 313 Extension/Bypass: the southern portion of the SR 313 Bypass, between the SR 16 interchange, and the current terminus of SR 312 at SR 207."

This was the last thing I read about this project, so that stuck with me. My bad, they are at-grade intersections.

DAL764

Quote from: jwolfer on June 06, 2012, 03:04:56 PMSt Augustine is really becoming more and more a suburb of Jacksonville.  Northern St Johns County is pretty much suburbs.  The entire county is growing and Flagler County to the south has grown tremendously... in 2000 it was the fastest grwoing county in the US. St A is the bigger shopping destination for Palm Coast. 

The growth added to the tourist traffic has St A pretty congested especially from CR 214 to SR 312.  US 1 from Jax to St A used to be faster than taking 95 the speed limit was 65 for most of the way... not so much anymore. There are a lot more traffic lights and busineses in Southern Duval and Norhtern St Johns
Truth be told I had completely forgotten about all the massive growth in between JAX and St. Augustine, particularly Nocatee. And true, US-1 used to be a rather relaxing drive, pretty much going past nothing at all, and now it's covered with traffic lights and freeway interchanges.

As a side, is the Bridge of Lions still a massive bottleneck? Can only imagine what a pain it must be with all the traffic growth.

meestersam

I used to live in Auggy Dog, and for a town of like 15,000 people, the traffic can be brutal.  The Bridge of Lions gets terrible on tourist weekends especially, but at least it looks pretty nice now that they've completed the rehab project. 

I think a bypass like 313 would be awesome, as I used to dread the drive up US 1 from 312 to past the airport north of town.  People coming from A1A South or US 1 South to Jax would definitely benefit from it.

xcellntbuy

On my quarterly business trip to Miami yesterday, I saw that the BGS for Interstates 75 and 595 at the southern end of the Sawgrass Expressway (FL 869) in Sunrise, FL has been removed and replaced with a Autobahn-style sign with upward pointing arrows. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.