News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chays

Back in December I discovered a staging area for a ton of signage for area construction, mostly for the I-4 Ultimate project.  It is located at this lot (https://www.google.com/maps/@28.8055603,-81.3221907,85m/data=!3m1!1e3) at the corner of Specialty Point and Upsala Rd, in Sanford, FL, in case anyone wants to visit.  The signs below are gone, but I drove by the other day and there were a fresh batch of different ones...I'll try to get some pics.

All seemed to be for the I-4 Ultimate project except the Ocala 1 Mile one.  I'm not sure where that one will go exactly.  The trailers had markings: INTERSTATESIGNWAYS.COM  7415 LINDSEY RD LITTLE ROCK, AR 72206 (501) 490-4242

Give me a shout if you plan on visiting, I'll try to make sure there is something there still.

FLRoads

Cool photos to see of what's to come on the I-4 project! By the way, the Ocala 1 mile sign will be for the Florida's Turnpike interchange :-P

I looked at their website, and see they are the same contractor that has done Disney World signage, as well as some of the Clearview signs found along area toll roads.

Avalanchez71

I thought the Florida's Turnpike was intended to have limited access.  If they keep building more access why pay to use it?

roadman65

I am glad to see FDOT is adding Apopka to the Maitland Blvd exit as that makes more sense than SR 436 with all its stop and go.    Signing Casselberry instead of Apopka there would be more feasible.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wriddle082

Here's a general FL question, seeing as I have been working in Orlando and Tampa the past 3 weeks...

Is it me, or has pavement quality really been going downhill?  Especially along most of I-95 from Daytona to Jacksonville, and portions of I-4 from Tampa to Orlando.  I know the pavement is absolutely horrible through the I-4 Ultimate project bounds, as well as the I-4/I-95 interchange rebuild in Daytona, and that's understandable (and don't get me started on all the abrubt lane shifts!).  But the work zones around Jacksonville didn't seem to have pavement near as bad.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether or not FDOT's budget is pretty much blown on preventative maintenance in favor of nothing but new construction?

lordsutch

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 19, 2018, 06:38:24 PM
I thought the Florida's Turnpike was intended to have limited access.  If they keep building more access why pay to use it?

It's not like all the traffic has to stop at every interchange...

emory

There's not really a freeway alternative to its northwest-southeast routing.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: emory on January 23, 2018, 05:20:27 AM

There's not really a freeway alternative to its northwest-southeast routing.

In general there has been a lack of access from routes where there should have been.  417 was a huge example of this until recently.

roadman65

Well if you added an interchange where the FL Turnpike intersects Sand Lake Road you would have more locals use the turnpike to go between Sand Lake and I-4 or Sand Lake to SR 528 and such.

The Turnpike is good the way it is.  To add exits at SR 417 and the 408 west extension and of course 429 was good as they were major roads that do carry access amounts.

The new Minneola interchange is far enough west of Oakland to not be a worry.  Kissimmee Park in St. Cloud is okay cause of the 47 miles further to Highway 60 at Yeehaw.   Even when the Southport Connector interchanges with the Turnpike it will have gaps on both ends as well as that should interchange several miles south of St. Cloud and still many miles north of Yeehaw.

Sheryl Crowe

emory

The SR 48/CR 470 swap in Sumter County (no word on Lake) is still in progress, according to a recent meeting summary. https://www.sumtercountyfl.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/10949?fileID=25282

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on January 25, 2018, 10:55:32 PM
Well if you added an interchange where the FL Turnpike intersects Sand Lake Road you would have more locals use the turnpike to go between Sand Lake and I-4 or Sand Lake to SR 528 and such.

The Turnpike is good the way it is.  To add exits at SR 417 and the 408 west extension and of course 429 was good as they were major roads that do carry access amounts.

The new Minneola interchange is far enough west of Oakland to not be a worry.  Kissimmee Park in St. Cloud is okay cause of the 47 miles further to Highway 60 at Yeehaw.   Even when the Southport Connector interchanges with the Turnpike it will have gaps on both ends as well as that should interchange several miles south of St. Cloud and still many miles north of Yeehaw.

I always felt like CR 523/Canoe Creek was a strange omission near Kenansville.  A lot of of people live on CR 523 or use it as an RV destination.  It is kind of a pain in the ass to dip under the Turnpike twice just to know you have zero access unless you are willing to slog down to FL 60 or US 192/441.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2018, 07:37:09 AM

I always felt like CR 523/Canoe Creek was a strange omission near Kenansville.  A lot of of people live on CR 523 or use it as an RV destination.  It is kind of a pain in the ass to dip under the Turnpike twice just to know you have zero access unless you are willing to slog down to FL 60 or US 192/441.

Twenty-five years ago, I think there wasn't much south of St. Cloud to warrant an exit, though it's been built up with housing a bit more since. I guess the response to that was the SunPass-only 2-movement exit at Kissimmee Park Road about 10 years ago. I suppose too many people would shunpike the Three Lakes Plaza if there was access from CR 523.

(Shhhh...After a few miles south of US 192, Canoe Creek Road is a semi-scenic alternative to some of the Turnpike's dullest moments.)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on January 26, 2018, 09:20:53 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2018, 07:37:09 AM

Twenty-five years ago, I think there wasn't much south of St. Cloud to warrant an exit, though it's been built up with housing a bit more since. I guess the response to that was the SunPass-only 2-movement exit at Kissimmee Park Road about 10 years ago. I suppose too many people would shunpike the Three Lakes Plaza if there was access from CR 523.

(Shhhh...After a few miles south of US 192, Canoe Creek Road is a semi-scenic alternative to some of the Turnpike's dullest moments.)

Usually I'd dip off the Turnpike coming home from work trips in Miami either to take US 441 all the way to US 192 or dip off on CR 523.  You can really open it up on CR 523 once you cross under the Turnpike the first time, really it is just a curvy well maintained rancher road.  I always dug the Old Florida feel of Kenansville, it kind of has a look to it like it belonged in some far flung gold rush boom town.

IMG_3945 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_3946 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

roadman65

I prefer CR 523 over US 441 too.  US 441 is booooring!  Even more so than the Turnpike in many places.  I think FDOT ill has US 441 at 55 mph where Osceola County keeps the rural parts south of St. Cloud on Canoe Creek Road at 60 mph.

However, FHP does not patrol those two routes and I am sure you can get away with doing 70 or 75 mph due to lack of usage.  According to my brother in law who used to be a deputy in Osceola County he says only SR 60 the cops set traps on it due to its high usage, but he assured me that on 441 no one will bother you much.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on January 27, 2018, 07:56:10 PM
I prefer CR 523 over US 441 too.  US 441 is booooring!  Even more so than the Turnpike in many places.  I think FDOT ill has US 441 at 55 mph where Osceola County keeps the rural parts south of St. Cloud on Canoe Creek Road at 60 mph.

However, FHP does not patrol those two routes and I am sure you can get away with doing 70 or 75 mph due to lack of usage.  According to my brother in law who used to be a deputy in Osceola County he says only SR 60 the cops set traps on it due to its high usage, but he assured me that on 441 no one will bother you much.

There is a couple old rail sidings between Holopaw and Yeehaw Junction on 441 that have some stray ruins to be found.  If you're a rail fan and like to track down abandoned lines there is certainly something there...but that's digging deep.  Usually I just went 67-68 MPH through that stretch.

roadman65

What really sucks now is the fact the four way stop at the intersection of FL 60 and US 441 now has a traffic signal.  I used to like the alternate red flashers there and it left that intersection still out in the days of old.   The new signal makes the area look a little too modern.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

Quote from: roadman65 on January 27, 2018, 08:35:39 PM
What really sucks now is the fact the four way stop at the intersection of FL 60 and US 441 now has a traffic signal.  I used to like the alternate red flashers there and it left that intersection still out in the days of old.   The new signal makes the area look a little too modern.
When was the traffic signal put in?

formulanone

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 30, 2018, 01:11:45 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 27, 2018, 08:35:39 PM
When was the traffic signal put in?

At least 2012.

formulanone

New sign on northbound Krome Avenue near Palm Drive:

Good to see a zero there. I've also not seen a big yellow sign like this in Florida.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: formulanone on January 31, 2018, 04:33:56 PM

Good to see a zero there. I've also not seen a big yellow sign like this in Florida.
What sign?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 01, 2018, 08:42:02 AM

What sign?
Saying that won't make it go away.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

chays

Recently stopped back by the I-4 Ultimate signage staging area.   A new trailer was there, and some of the signs on the existing trailers had been offloaded.

formulanone

Quote from: chays on February 05, 2018, 02:34:55 PM
Recently stopped back by the I-4 Ultimate signage staging area.   A new trailer was there, and some of the signs on the existing trailers had been offloaded.

Is it Canine Road 7, or Dog Road 7?

adventurernumber1

Thank you for posting all of these wonderful close-up pictures of all the signs, chays!  :nod:  :thumbsup:

That is all very interesting, and I cannot wait to see how this I-4 Ultimate project turns out. I'm not sure when will be the next time I am down in Orlando (last time was April 2014), but hopefully it will be pretty soon!!  :nod:

That is a very interesting sign, and I, too, am glad that the number is at 0 as well. I am not certain if I have seen a sign quite like that before, but it is very neat.  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

D-Dey65

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 05, 2018, 04:31:44 PM
Thank you for posting all of these wonderful close-up pictures of all the signs, chays!  :nod:  :thumbsup:

That is all very interesting, and I cannot wait to see how this I-4 Ultimate project turns out. I'm not sure when will be the next time I am down in Orlando (last time was April 2014), but hopefully it will be pretty soon!!  :nod:
I'm with adventurernumber1 on this. I like sign staging areas too. I'm not sure if it was a staging area or a manufacturer, but in South Setauket, New York, there used to be a lot where new signs ready to be used for nearby highway improvements were on display, before the NYSDOT brought them out to their respected locations. I used to love to go there and check them out. Nobody there had any idea why I was so interested in them.

Anyway, sticking to Florida, I have to ask again; How high is the clearance for the new I-75 bridge over US 98-FL 50 in Ridge Manor West? I tried to ask somebody from the FDOT that question via e-mail, as well as a couple of others, and they never got back to me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.