News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: DeaconG on June 04, 2021, 08:03:26 AM
Quote from: formulanone on June 03, 2021, 01:18:38 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on June 03, 2021, 01:14:09 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 31, 2021, 04:06:48 PM
I don't understand keeping old toll booths at all. They are ugly. The Golden Gate and Bay Bridge still has their toll booths standing as well requiring traffic to come to a crawl though them.
Money. Ducats. Simoleons. Quatloos. Gold-pressed latinum. As in LACK OF.

Lakeland-area radio station can create a Toll Booth Smash-a-Thon; bring your own demolition equipment and haul it away! We'll be giving away prizes and food and T-shirts that say "I don't quite work for FDOT". Come on Publix, show some love for this idea...help the community, save lives, promote technology, provide the wings and sub sandwiches.

Have Krispy Kreme throw in warm donuts and it's ON!

Donut day is coming up.  If you folks got your vaccination and show your report card to Krispy Kreme, you get two FREE donuts instead of one free one. :sombrero: :sombrero:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

For some reason FDOT was signed FL 25 instead of US 27 south of Lake Placid in a construction zone I passed through this past week:

IMG_2351 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Anyone have insight as to what caused the brush fire on FL 997 this past week?  I know there has been a drought but it was a little unusual to find an actual sizeable fire:

IMG_2566 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Its been awhile since I looked but it seems FCIT maintained their database of County Maps.  They have a huge collection of 1936-37 Florida State Road Department stuff which shows the Pre-1945 State Roads in detail.  Some of the counties are missing but a lot of major stuff is present:

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/galleries/county/

D-Dey65

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 29, 2021, 10:05:53 AM
I note the Florida's Turnpike website shows Minnesota as a state that will be accepting E-ZPass (and the new "SunPass Pro"  device) starting sometime in the near future.
Then E-Z Pass had better start accepting SunPass.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 04, 2021, 10:12:19 PM
Then E-Z Pass had better start accepting SunPass.

Yes, the SunPass Pro, since the stickers won't work with E-ZPass member's equipment.

pianocello

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 04, 2021, 10:20:12 AM
For some reason FDOT was signed FL 25 instead of US 27 south of Lake Placid in a construction zone I passed through this past week:

Nice. The project was undoubtedly called "SR 25 from XX to XX" to both the DOT and the consultant, but I'm still surprised that the SR 25 sign managed to stay in the plans through the multiple rounds of back-and-forth between the CAD designer, engineer, internal QC checker(s), and the DOT reviewer.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Max Rockatansky

Spent some time out on Siesta Key this past week, I'm to understand that FL 72 and FL 758 were recently truncated to US 41.  That said I observed no changes in the field signage on both highways:

72FLc by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

72FLend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

758FLf by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

758FLg by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

758FLh by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

758FLi by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 06, 2021, 11:57:57 PM
Spent some time out on Siesta Key this past week, I'm to understand that FL 72 and FL 758 were recently truncated to US 41.  That said I observed no changes in the field signage on both highways:

Interesting.  GIS data from 05/22/21 does confirm this.  Something to keep on my radar for TM.

roadman65

Sometimes it takes years for FDOT to react. Look at SR 559 in Auburndale.  They took months to remove it off of US 92, but along former SR 559 In Downtown, the shields still are up at the turns by the rail crossing.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 07, 2021, 12:16:25 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 06, 2021, 11:57:57 PM

Interesting.  GIS data from 05/22/21 does confirm this.  Something to keep on my radar for TM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Road_758
How about changing it on Wiki.😁

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

It is interesting that the county and/or city would want to take on that responsibility for maintenance.

roadman65

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 07, 2021, 12:16:18 PM
It is interesting that the county and/or city would want to take on that responsibility for maintenance.

If it's beachfront they would.  The state frowns upon highway downgrades like the city wants for aesthetic and safety concerns.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on June 07, 2021, 12:20:44 PM

If it's beachfront they would.  The state frowns upon highway downgrades like the city wants for aesthetic and safety concerns.

A lot of the relinquished segments of 72 and 758 are in unincorporated Siesta Key.  The property owners and resorts have a lot of money that probably garners quite a bit of pull locally.  Two large drawbridges are part of the segments of 72 and 758 that Sarasota County just took over, I'm sure it was a win for FDOT to get rid of those.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 07, 2021, 12:58:01 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 07, 2021, 12:20:44 PM

If it’s beachfront they would.  The state frowns upon highway downgrades like the city wants for aesthetic and safety concerns.

A lot of the relinquished segments of 72 and 758 are in unincorporated Siesta Key.  The property owners and resorts have a lot of money that probably garners quite a bit of pull locally.  Two large drawbridges are part of the segments of 72 and 758 that Sarasota County just took over, I’m sure it was a win for FDOT to get rid of those.

I am sure as well.  I just know in Tennessee that some cities refuse to annex in a bridge so that they do not have deal with maintenance.  Thereby causing annexation donut holes.  I can see the clout angle that you speak of.

1995hoo

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on May 28, 2021, 04:01:08 PM
As of today (May 28, 2021), Florida's Turnpike Enterprise (FTE) now accepts EZ-Pass on their system!

This morning the electronic signs on the Sawgrass said "E-ZPass Accepted on All Florida Toll Roads."

That particular drive will probably represent my final SunPass transactions–when we get home, I'll cancel the account. No longer any reason to maintain it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2021, 10:02:20 PM
This morning the electronic signs on the Sawgrass said "E-ZPass Accepted on All Florida Toll Roads."

That particular drive will probably represent my final SunPass transactions–when we get home, I'll cancel the account. No longer any reason to maintain it.

Can any Floridians comment on whether there's a reason for me to keep my SunPass account, rather than ditch it in favor of E-ZPass? I have an E-ZPass transponder with no switch for HOV usage, which is an important reason for 1995hoo to stay with E-ZPass, but not me.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on June 07, 2021, 10:13:54 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2021, 10:02:20 PM

Can any Floridians comment on whether there's a reason for me to keep my SunPass account, rather than ditch it in favor of E-ZPass? I have an E-ZPass transponder with no switch for HOV usage, which is an important reason for 1995hoo to stay with E-ZPass, but not me.

One consideration might be whether you ever drive on toll roads in Georgia (insofar as I know, all of them are HO/T facilities). I believe those accept SunPass but not E-ZPass.

NJRoadfan

Georgia joined the E-ZPass IAG and is planned to accept tags by the end of the year.

1995hoo

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 07, 2021, 10:26:01 PM
Georgia joined the E-ZPass IAG and is planned to accept tags by the end of the year.

Good to know. Thank you for that info.

D-Dey65

roadman65

I see FDOT is building a test area along US 301 in Clay County.  They are building a third carriage way for the four lane divided highway to make a six lane double divided highway.
https://www.fdot.gov/docs/default-source/materials/pavement/research/reports/stateroad/301.pdf

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Way back until the mid-1990s, there was a lone example of a State Road 25 and US 27 sign duo posted somewhere around Okeelanta. After that entire section was four-laned, it mysteriously disappeared.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on June 10, 2021, 07:07:44 PM

Way back until the mid-1990s, there was a lone example of a State Road 25 and US 27 sign duo posted somewhere around Okeelanta. After that entire section was four-laned, it mysteriously disappeared.

Not too far from the FL 700 and FL 15 shields in Martin County that were co-signed with US 98/441.

Great Lakes Roads

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 10, 2021, 07:33:44 PM
Quote from: formulanone on June 10, 2021, 07:07:44 PM

Not too far from the FL 700 and FL 15 shields in Martin County that were co-signed with US 98/441.

Did they remove the FL 700 and FL 15 signs?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.