News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

Orange CR 420 has been realigned at the intersection with CR 419 to "meet" the "broken" sections, and a traffic signal has been installed. No more dangerous stop-signed, waiting to make a turn onto CR 419 anymore. On the old alignment, they still left a tiny bridge and most of the road, so I'll get some pictures tomorrow of it. The orphaned section is now Old Lake Pickett Road.
So many roads...so little time.

D-Dey65

Quote from: florida on April 02, 2010, 07:44:03 PM
-SR 471 and Sumter CR 48 will get a traffic signal next Spring, along with some intersection widening.
For SR 471 or Sumter CR 48?

florida

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 05, 2010, 10:32:32 PM
Quote from: florida on April 02, 2010, 07:44:03 PM
-SR 471 and Sumter CR 48 will get a traffic signal next Spring, along with some intersection widening.
For SR 471 or Sumter CR 48?

The way it was stated, just the intersection was going to be widened...most likely to add turn lanes.

D-Dey65

Quote from: florida on April 06, 2010, 04:06:35 PM
The way it was stated, just the intersection was going to be widened...most likely to add turn lanes.
So just the one intersection and no others? Oh, well.

Anyway, what other state will you find rest areas with a sign like this?

Alex

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 06, 2010, 10:02:26 PM

Anyway, what other state will you find rest areas with a sign like this?

They have similar type signs warning of rattle snakes at rest areas in the desert southwest.

agentsteel53

yep, anything from west Texas to California.  Also, in Baja California, Mexico, at the rest stop on La Rumerosa pass, there is a warning sign about snakes.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

florida

Some pictures:

Indian River CR 611 at SR 60.

Obnoxious signs along SR 15 at SR 408 on the west side of Lake Underhill.

A nice relic on CR 507 at the Brevard/Indian River County Line.

florida

The wooden Taylor Creek Road bridge that is slated to be replaced soon.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 19, 2010, 10:52:13 PM
FYI to all you guys out there, I've been working on the FL State Highways for the CHM site.  And I just had FL-A1A to FL-277 posted on the site.  So, take a look at what I have done so far. ;)

http://cmap.m-plex.com/hb/selecthwys.php?sys=usafl&rg=all&mt=g&gr=p&sub=Show

Up to FL-508 now posted at the link above.

Alex

Finally got a chance to try out the new camera. Took some photos of the SR 85 and SR 123 interchange work:

Earth moving operations are quite evident on the west side of Florida north of Florida 123. This will eventually accommodate an off-ramp between northbound SR 85 to northbound SR 123.

The first piles for the bridge over SR 85 for the new ramp rise along the east side of Florida 85.

Looking south from Florida 85 at Florida 123. Additional ramps will tie into Northwest Florida Regional Airport to the east.

And for fun, my partially completed (and not quite so in alphabetical order) plate wall and a glimpse of a Jake-created blue U.S. 90 shield.

realjd

Quote from: AARoads on April 16, 2010, 05:19:52 PM
Finally got a chance to try out the new camera. Took some photos of the SR 85 and SR 123 interchange work:

Nice pics! What kind of camera did you get?

Ian

Quote from: realjd on April 16, 2010, 07:01:50 PM
Quote from: AARoads on April 16, 2010, 05:19:52 PM

Nice pics! What kind of camera did you get?

He got a Canon Powershot A1100, which I suggested  :cool:. Alex, how did it work out for you? Nice pics!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

D-Dey65

I just got a Kodak EasyShare C182 a couple of weeks ago, although I haven't taken any impressive road shots yet.

I do plan another road trip up north this Spring, and I'm definitley going to be taking some pictues, although most of them will be for railroad stations and historic sites for Wikipedia.

Perhaps I'll try to squeeze some road scenes in on this trip. I'd like to be able to get something that I can mount the camera on my dashboard with.

agentsteel53

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 21, 2010, 12:36:28 AM
I'd like to be able to get something that I can mount the camera on my dashboard with.

I do not believe that is necessary.  The C182 is modern enough that if you hold it in your hand and point it through the windshield, it will take a high-quality photo.  Just take lots of photos; a few of them will come out!  that's the way I've always done things  :sombrero:

jake@aaroads.com

D-Dey65

I guess I could give it a try.

Hey, while we're on the discussion of I-75 in Florida, I've got two old proposals from FDOT and the Turnpike Enterprise for the redesigning of Exits 328 and 329.

This is the general proposal. If you'd like, I can also post a picture of the wetlands impact map.

agentsteel53

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 21, 2010, 12:53:36 AM
I guess I could give it a try.

it is quite easy.  Modern cameras are amazing.  I use a DSLR as my primary setup, but my camera is a 2005 design (Nikon D50) and I have used several compacts that severely outperform it in all cases with the exception of a few extreme zoom settings.  

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 21, 2010, 12:58:59 AM
it is quite easy.  Modern cameras are amazing.  I use a DSLR as my primary setup, but my camera is a 2005 design (Nikon D50) and I have used several compacts that severely outperform it in all cases with the exception of a few extreme zoom settings. 

I have both a Canon SD750 point-and-shoot and a Canon EOS XS DSLR. Both take excellent pictures, and I use both frequently. I've found that the major advantage that an entry-level DSLR has over a compact isn't necessarily the image quality itself (they'll often use the same image processor and sensors) but the ability to swap lenses and the fact that many companies don't allow the user direct control over aperture and shutter speed on many compact cameras.

For road photos, not having to look through an optical viewfinder is probably the biggest argument for a POS camera over a DSLR.

TheStranger

Quote from: realjd on April 21, 2010, 10:16:27 AM

For road photos, not having to look through an optical viewfinder is probably the biggest argument for a POS camera over a DSLR.

Newer DSLRs now also offer live view in addition to the optical viewfinder...

With my Nikon D40, I find that my older manual focus lenses set to infinity actually make road photography much easier, as the issue of autofocus systems targeting the window or trying to acquire a target and struggling becomes moot.  I'd love to upgrade to a D5000 though at some point (can still use my oldest manual focus lenses, but has the D90/D300 sensor, video mode, faster FPS, and live view).
Chris Sampang

rickmastfan67

So, anybody know what's up with FDOT not updating the GIS for the FL-548 extension?  I noticed it's already on OSM.  But I haven't seen anything "official"  on it yet.

florida

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 25, 2010, 12:11:48 AM
So, anybody know what's up with FDOT not updating the GIS for the FL-548 extension?  I noticed it's already on OSM.  But I haven't seen anything "official” on it yet.

No idea about it, but the approval date was 12/02/2009.

Alex

Spoke with the traffic operations designer/project manager at FDOT District 3 about six weeks ago and emailed him a list signing issues that need to be (or should be) addressed. Got a response from him last week indicating that they logged in my request and were reviewing. Well today I noticed that the missing sign for I-110 north from US 98 Business (Gregory Street) west, gone since Hurricane Ivan in September 2004, was finally replaced!

How it looked before the new sign was added.

florida

Nice of them to finally add it! I prefer to know where the on-ramps are going. Now, if they'd add some Business 98 markers somewhere....

Alex

We noted some sign changes for Exit 10 (U.S. 29) on panels for both directions of Interstate 10 on Friday. "Pensacola Blvd" was crammed in the various overhead signs for the directional-cloverleaf interchange...

Westbound signage:

Eastbound signage:

florida

That brings back memories of Brevard County.

rickmastfan67

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.