News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 04, 2010, 10:08:46 PM
Quote from: florida on July 02, 2010, 07:38:10 PM
-An "I-4 Ends 1 1/2 miles" ground-mounted BGS has been put up on I-4 east-bound.

Any idea how long it was up? Because I drove through there in early June and there's a good chance I didn't pay too much attention to it.

No idea at all. It's been a while since I was last there and that sign definitely caught my attention. It could have gone up anytime from when the various, select BGSs (listed above) were replaced (project was planned to start in late 2009/early 2010) to sometime in June.

Oh, and a traffic signal has been installed at I-4 and CR 4146 (Exit 111A-B). It's for the turn lane from eastbound CR 4146 onto eastbound I-4, similar to the Maitland Blvd one.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

Had the Sunshine Skyway never been added to the Interstate system, Interstate 275 through Pinellas may have ended at 62nd Street South and been designated Interstate 175:

St. Petersburg Interstate Route Will Be A Bypass.

QuoteIf the Skyway is not upgraded, the interstate will end at 62nd Avenue S and pick up again a mile south of the Sunshine Skyway. In that case, the interstate through Pinellas would be called I-175, another indication of a by-pass route, Monts de Oca said.

Interstate275Fla

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 14, 2010, 06:31:10 AM
Another question I have is.... Has I-375 gained exit numbers??  Wikipedia and the FDOT Interchange Report both show that it has gained exit numbers for all it's exits EXCEPT for I-275's one.  Has anybody seen this, or have pictures of them?

When Interstate 375 opened in the late 1970's, it did have exit numbers:  Exit 1 for M L King St N and 8 St N and Exit 2 for 4 St N, both reached from 4 Av N.  The exit numbers were taken down as part of new signage replacing the original signage, which was part of a pavement rehabilitation project that took place in 2006.

I have pictures of Interstate 375 (the north downtown St. Petersburg feeder) over at Interstate275Florida.com, but they show only the new signage:

http://www.interstate275florida.com/I375.htm

florida

A couple notes from Downtown Orlando...

-The 1st generation non-keys shield for SR 527, north of Gore Street on northbound Orange, has been removed. It used to be signed at a pavement change, but there looked to be resurfacing of Orange between Gore and Lucerne Circle, so away went the sign.

-It looks like the "South SR 15 / TO SR 408" assembly on South Street, just east of Orange, has been removed. :(

xcellntbuy

This afternoon, I had a meeting in Miami-Dade County and this was the first time I had driven in the daytime down in '-Dade in about four years.

I traveled along the Sawgrass Expressway from US 441/FL 7, Interstate 75 from Exit 19 (I-595 and FL 869) to Exit 1B at the Palmetto Expressway and down the Palmetto (FL 826) to West Flagler Street, the east-west thoroughfare that divides the NW/SW gridiron of most Miami-Dade County streets.

There have been a tremendous number of BGS replacements with new gantries along Interstate 75, many heavily damaged after Hurricane Wilma on October 24, 2005.

For the first time, the State has installed highway shoulder light poles at the huge, multi-lane flyover stack interchange at I-75, I-595 and FL 869 (Exit 19).  This massive interchange used to be completely dark.

There has been a wholesale replacement of signs on the Palmetto Expressway and much of the construction has ended, leaving a largely 10-lane, median-lit expressway.  Nonetheless, construction and lots of earthmoving has begun to completely revamp the outmoded interchange at FL 826 and FL 836 (the Dolphin Expressway).  Since the exit from the Palmetto Expressway to West Flagler Street is only half a mile from the ramps of the Dolphin, the earthmoving mounds extend all the way to the West Flagler ramps.

I did find an oddity.  The "TOLL" bar on new shields for the FL 924 (the Gratigny Expressway) (say "grat-knee") is yellow instead of green.  There are also new signs indicating both Sunpass and Toll-by-Plate for FL 924, the toll booths having been removed about a month ago.

Permanently installed speed monitors with flashing red (over the limit) or solid yellow (at the 65 mph limit or below) are signed prominently on the northbound shoulder of the Sawgrass between Exits 11 and 14 immediately south of the Sawgrass "big curve."  All Sawgrass Expressway construction has also ended.

florida

If the yellow toll bar is for toll-by-plate, it sounds like a good idea for the difference in colors on the toll shield.

-----------

Brevard County may be getting a new "expressway"(??).

Construction could begin as soon as early next year on new $110 million dollar expressway in Brevard County. The 30 mile long expressway, which will not have tolls, will run from Micco Road in Palm Bay and then curve up along Interstate 95 to Ellis Road in Melbourne.
Brevard County, The City of Palm Bay, private investors, along with the Federal Government would pay for the project.

In addition to building the expressway, the Florida Department of Transportation is planning to spend $40 million to build two interchanges along Interstate 95 at Ellis and Micco Roads so drivers on the interstate can access the expressway.

http://www.wftv.com/news/24445523/detail.html

Ace10

Quote from: xcellntbuy on July 29, 2010, 10:06:04 PMI did find an oddity.  The "TOLL" bar on new shields for the FL 924 (the Gratigny Expressway) (say "grat-knee") is yellow instead of green.  There are also new signs indicating both Sunpass and Toll-by-Plate for FL 924, the toll booths having been removed about a month ago.

Permanently installed speed monitors with flashing red (over the limit) or solid yellow (at the 65 mph limit or below) are signed prominently on the northbound shoulder of the Sawgrass between Exits 11 and 14 immediately south of the Sawgrass "big curve."  All Sawgrass Expressway construction has also ended.

Last time I was down in the Miami area was around May. This was before the Gratigny (FL-924) was converted to all-electronic toll collection. I noticed on a few interchanges on the Palmetto (FL-826) that the toll bar was indeed yellow, but some other shields had the green bar as usual on Florida toll shields. Can anyone confirm that all of them have been converted to yellow? That would be interesting if Florida is using the yellow color to distinguish toll roads with all-electronic toll collection from the ones that still accept cash.

Also last time I drove the Sawgrass (FL-869) was late June. Around the "big curve" you mentioned, there were speed monitors that showed your speed, if I remember. I'm not sure if they flashed red or not, but I'm pretty sure the speed around that curve is lower than 65. I wouldn't take that curve at 65 - maybe at 55 or 60. I'm not sure what the recommended speed around the curve is, but I'm pretty sure I went above it and I don't remember any flashing red lights. Anyone know if this is a fairly recent addition since last month?

FLRoads

Quote from: florida on July 30, 2010, 11:24:52 AM
Brevard County may be getting a new expressway.

Construction could begin as soon as early next year on new $110 million dollar expressway in Brevard County. The 30 mile long expressway, which will not have tolls, will run from Micco Road in Palm Bay and then curve up along Interstate 95 to Ellis Road in Melbourne.
Brevard County, The City of Palm Bay, private investors, along with the Federal Government would pay for the project.

In addition to building the expressway, the Florida Department of Transportation is planning to spend $40 million to build two interchanges along Interstate 95 at Ellis and Micco Roads so drivers on the interstate can access the expressway.

http://www.wftv.com/news/24445523/detail.html

This proposed 32-mile expressway is going to be referred to as the St. John's Heritage Parkway. The parkway was originally known as the Palm Bay Beltway and the Palm Bay Parkway. Plans call for there to be the two new interchanges at Interstate 95 at Ellis Road (north of the U.S. 192 interchange) and just north of Micco Road on the southern end, with at grade intersections along the corridor. A plan from DRMP calls for a signal at U.S. 192 with bridges over the C-83, C-52 and C-52 canals (with the C-52 canal bridge also going over Simon Road. The plan also shows a northern alignment referred to as the Washingtonia Extension that will parallel Interstate 95 immediately to its west from the SJHP north through the area of Lake Washington. The plan does not have any specifics south of Palm Bay Regional Park along Malabar Road. You can view the plan here: http://www.drmp.com/Brevard/Images/ProjectMap.pdf

Another document calls for the parkway to have speed limits of 45-50 mph with the capacity of traffic signals every quarter mile to one mile apart.
http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/systems/sm/corridor/study/Technical%20Memorandum%20Alternative%20Options%20and%20Policy%20Implications.pdf
(See page 21 of the PDF for this information)

And I was hoping for an actual expressway...

florida

I hope they realize traffic signals are a bad, bad, bad, bad idea. The way WFTV was reporting it made it sound like exits galore and cutting travel time by dividing up the traffic on I-95.

FLRoads

Well you know how the media is about relaying stories to the public. That is why it pays to do some research before breaking the story...

realjd

Here's a good map from the City of Palm Bay that shows the entire proposed alignment:
http://palmbayflorida.org/utilities/divisions/documents/proposed_parkway.pdf

They said they're going to model it on JYP in Orlando. They're going to limit the number of driveways and stop lights to supposedly minimize disruption. It seems shortsighted to me. I'd much rather have a proper beltway (even if it's tolled) than to have a surface road with even more lights.

And in other Brevard County news, the 6-laning of CR-516 (Palm Bay Road) is now done. Traffic flows MUCH better, although everyone here is still complaining about how the lights aren't coordinated (or if they are, they all seem to be coordinated 180 degrees out of phase).

And the Pineda Cswy interchange along I-95 is progressing nicely. I think I heard that it will open in the next few months. When it does, I'll try to get pictures.

florida

Quote from: realjd on August 02, 2010, 08:09:06 AM
And the Pineda Cswy interchange along I-95 is progressing nicely. I think I heard that it will open in the next few months. When it does, I'll try to get pictures.

Good! Do you happen know if it's going to be signed as SR 404, or does that come later?

realjd

Quote from: florida on August 02, 2010, 11:59:54 AM
Good! Do you happen know if it's going to be signed as SR 404, or does that come later?

I'm not sure. It's a county project, but FDOT did kick in some money for it. If FDOT doesn't own the road, it isn't signed as a state highway, correct? In that case, I would assume it's going to be CR-404. When they realigned the intersection with Wickham Road, they put up new 404 signage for the realigned portion east of Wickham, but the currently open part west of Wickham isn't signed yet.

Once it's open, Viera is planning on extending Lake Andrews Blvd. south to meet up with it just west of 95, and they're working on bridging the 100 yd gap between St. Andrews Blvd. in Suntree with Brisbane Ave to connect up with the new Pineda extension. Longer range, the Space Coast TPO has in their 2035 plan to extend the Palm Bay Parkway north to connect with Pineda/Lake Andrews and also to connect with an extended Ellis Road at a new interchange with I95 between 192 and 518.

florida

Quote from: realjd on August 02, 2010, 12:54:35 PM
Quote from: florida on August 02, 2010, 11:59:54 AM
I'm not sure. It's a county project, but FDOT did kick in some money for it. If FDOT doesn't own the road, it isn't signed as a state highway, correct? In that case, I would assume it's going to be CR-404. When they realigned the intersection with Wickham Road, they put up new 404 signage for the realigned portion east of Wickham, but the currently open part west of Wickham isn't signed yet.

That's correct as far as I know; the only exception would be the toll roads. The new SR 404 signage on Wickham seem to be errors(?) since SR 404's western terminus is technically at US 1 (or the railroad tracks). Maybe they're being overzealous with it, heh.

----------

There is a lot of sad news concerning central Orlando. The last state-named I-4 shield has been Joehlered...ZOINKS!  :wow: [I am bummed out.] The lazy tard who took it left the JCT sign behind. Also, the old traffic signals at the Orange/Magnolia/Lakeview/Ivanhoe split-offs are being replaced with.....mast arms  :ded:  What a travesty!

On the bright side (if there is one), SR 527 has been resurfaced north of SR 50.

FLRoads

Quote from: florida on August 06, 2010, 02:36:14 AM
There is a lot of sad news concerning central Orlando. The last state-named I-4 shield has been Joehlered...ZOINKS!  :wow: [I am bummed out.] The lazy tard who took it left the JCT sign behind. Also, the old traffic signals at the Orange/Magnolia/Lakeview/Ivanhoe split-offs are being replaced with.....mast arms  :ded:  What a travesty!

Indeed, it is very sad news to hear that BOTH the sign is gone and they are replacing the old signals [holds head down and utters major *sigh*]... :(

Maybe we should keep an eye on EBay to see if it (the state named shield) does indeed pop up on there. That will be a tell-tale sign on what happened to it...

Ian

Quote from: florida on August 06, 2010, 02:36:14 AM
There is a lot of sad news concerning central Orlando. The last state-named I-4 shield has been Joehlered...ZOINKS!  :wow: [I am bummed out.] The lazy tard who took it left the JCT sign behind.

Man, Joehler must be having a sign theft escapade. The old Business Spur 495 shield in Lowell suffered the same fate. The JCT tab is all that remains.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

And people gave Jake so much shit for wanting to conceal the locations of sign finds...  :hmmm:

Both cases irritate me greatly. Its one thing if the DOT/City Public Works/Etc. just decided to replace the signs, or remove them completely (i.e. they were no longer necessary), but three cases where an old sign was ganked while the "JCT" panel remains (remember that US 611 shield?).  :banghead:

agentsteel53

honestly, if someone wants to yank a sign, I'd rather it be a collector than the highway department. 

Being put up on someone's warehouse wall infinitely beats getting melted down and turned into guardrails.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

florida

ZOMG, you guys! Stay on topic!   :)

Quote from: flaroadgeek on August 06, 2010, 11:02:46 AM
Indeed, it is very sad news to hear that BOTH the sign is gone and they are replacing the old signals [holds head down and utters major *sigh*]... :(

Maybe we should keep an eye on EBay to see if it (the state named shield) does indeed pop up on there. That will be a tell-tale sign on what happened to it...

Agree about Feebay, just to see if the unscrupulous one shows up. But, it was only a matter of time before those lights became history; the ones at Virginia and Orange were replaced back around 2006 or so (and then you had Robinson/Orange, Concord/Magnolia, Mills/some road south of 408, South/Division, and Hughey/Robinson.....2003 was a good year for the old signals). This leaves six full intersections of old lights* still standing in the city, and one group has been mysteriously colored all black. [I'll find and post the photos of the extinct ones, and others in Daytona Beach that bit the dust as well.]

*Note: The term "old lights" does not refer to the rust-colored, button-backed ones that popped up possibly in the late 1970s, as there are still some of those around too.

Quote from: AARoads on August 06, 2010, 01:35:55 PM
And people gave Jake so much shit for wanting to conceal the locations of sign finds...  :hmmm:

Yeah, really.

FLRoads

Speaking of Orlando, how is the interchange between Florida 50 and Florida 436 going? It's been a while since I have been down there.

Ace10

Quote from: flaroadgeek on August 09, 2010, 07:18:34 PM
Speaking of Orlando, how is the interchange between Florida 50 and Florida 436 going? It's been a while since I have been down there.

Last I saw it (late July 2010) I had to get my brakes on my car replaced so I was mainly trying to not hit the car in front of me so I wasn't paying too good attention to the intersection, but it did look like the interchange is complete. A look at the latest imagery from Google shows that the road structure and traffic signals and such are there. Really wish I took pictures when I was in that part of town.

In another part of the county (actually in Osceola), the interchange between John Young Parkway (SR-423/CR-423) and Osceola Parkway (CR-522) looks finished too, but there were still road work signs up as of yesterday. Looks like they're doing the same thing here as they are doing for FL-436 and FL-50. JYP has the freedom of movement, and so does FL-50, with Osceola Pkwy and FL-436 underneath with a SPUI.

florida

It is complete with SR 50 being six lanes until SR 408, where the next phase picks up. 'Texas U-turns' are in effect at the SPUI for SR 50's off-ramp traffic.

Speaking of the Osceola County one, Dan (SPUI) stated on the Yahoo group that Osceola and John Young Parkways have been christened Truck US 17/92....another truck route that follows county routes.

Ace10

Quote from: florida on August 11, 2010, 03:45:16 AM
It is complete with SR 50 being six lanes until SR 408, where the next phase picks up. 'Texas U-turns' are in effect at the SPUI for SR 50's off-ramp traffic.

Speaking of the Osceola County one, Dan (SPUI) stated on the Yahoo group that Osceola and John Young Parkways have been christened Truck US 17/92....another truck route that follows county routes.

YES! I did notice Truck US 17/92 shields and trailblazers on Osceola when I drove it about 3 days ago. They're posted both eastbound and westbound. Sure did jump out at me.

florida

The new SPUI probably helped in re-designating it in Kissimmee.

realjd

Hey, do any of you know what's going on with the north end of the 429? Last time I was there, it was under construction, but I didn't think they were starting work with the expansion west around Apopka to I-4 yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.