News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace10

Quote from: realjd on August 12, 2010, 08:15:24 AM
Hey, do any of you know what's going on with the north end of the 429? Last time I was there, it was under construction, but I didn't think they were starting work with the expansion west around Apopka to I-4 yet.

I'm assuming you're referring to 429's northern terminus with US-441. I still think it's a traffic light. The plan is to construct the extension by splitting current 429 south of 414. Current 429 will become 451, and the new 429 will remain 429 and also be multiplexed with 414, and run northward parallel to Orange CR-437.

I'm getting this all from a map I think I acquired from OOCEA's site.

As far as construction, I think the last time I was in that area was around February of this year - though that sounds like a long time ago and I think I visited that area not too long ago, like in the past few months. There was no construction back then. When was the last time you were there, realjd?

A quick look on OOCEA's site (http://www.oocea.com) reveals the last thing even mentioned about the Wekiva Parkway was back in December 2 of last year, and that was just a public workshop.

realjd

The last time I was up that way was around April or May. It looked like they were reconstructing the intersection with 441 and the stretch of 429 immediately south of it. It wasn't very far along in the construction so I'm couldn't get a good idea as to what they were actually doing.

Alex

The section west of CR-437A remains unfunded. The section of existing Toll 429 north to US 441 will be left in tact as Toll 451.

Have not heard any news on the Wekiva Parkway in a long time either.

agentsteel53

Jesus demands keys shields and Floridachrome!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 12, 2010, 12:08:47 PM

He forsake this state the minute we put in electronic tolling!

As for 429/414, I just dug around a bit on the OOCEA website. The Wekiva Parkway segment is still in the design phase. Specifically, it's the portion from 441 up through Lake County to connect to 417 and I-4.

The portion south of 441, including rerouting 429 to the west and renumbering the current portion to 451, is considered Phase II of the SR-414 project. Design is done, it's just waiting for funding for construction.

Both portions are on the FY10-FY14 five year plan.

florida

Quote from: realjd on August 12, 2010, 08:15:24 AM
Hey, do any of you know what's going on with the north end of the 429? Last time I was there, it was under construction, but I didn't think they were starting work with the expansion west around Apopka to I-4 yet.

At US 441? If so, there was/is talk of extending some ramps up to Vick Road and Old Dixie Highway. And they reconfigured the on-ramp from northbound US 441 to SR 429 (via Google Maps).

There hasn't been any construction on the missing link; there is still fighting over the routing with Seminole County officials wanting a seat at the table to decide the route.
So many roads...so little time.

Brandon

Quote from: realjd on August 12, 2010, 12:46:07 PM

He forsake this state the minute we put in electronic tolling!

He could redeem it if the state adopts EZ-Pass (preferrably before my trip down there in September).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

realjd

Quote from: Brandon on August 12, 2010, 01:47:28 PM
He could redeem it if the state adopts EZ-Pass (preferrably before my trip down there in September).

Us Floridians will gladly do what we can to take your money, but we also secretly enjoy making things as difficult as possible for tourists. Plus, if we start taking EZ-Pass, I won't be able to smugly laugh at all the out-of-towners stuck in line at the tollbooths!

rickmastfan67

I still don't get why they need the multiplex of 414/429. :-D

FLRoads

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 13, 2010, 08:22:46 AM

Perhaps the powers-that-be thought it might be easier for motorists who wish to not go through Apopka to travel along the same route number from end to end instead of getting on one numbered route then switching to another. Just a thought.   

florida

Quote from: flaroadgeek on August 13, 2010, 10:08:53 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 13, 2010, 08:22:46 AM

Perhaps the powers-that-be thought it might be easier for motorists who wish to not go through Apopka to travel along the same route number from end to end instead of getting on one numbered route then switching to another. Just a thought.  

It's one more duplex for us roadgeeks to get pictures of, clinch, and to cherish :) FDOT has a history of duplexing routes like this: SR 437 & 438 and SR 434 & 419 and SR 231 & 235 (and even Former SRs 40 & 336, possibly).

Quote from: Brandon on August 12, 2010, 01:47:28 PM

Funny you say that because I received a coupon in the mail (along with a toll citation) for a free* E-Pass sticker [*Note: The sticker is free but you need to purchase $25 in prepaid tolls.]

And Secondary Routes, too!

Ace10

Just got back from a trip to Apopka. Took SR-429 from CR-535 all the way up to US-441. There was some construction near Exit 30, some orange barrels and such. Though I did notice that just west of the ROW of 429, near 414, there were construction crews and a big area of dirt. Looks like they're extending 414 westward. Not sure of any current projects with 414 but that's the only construction I noticed along 429.

realjd

There are a few construction updates in today's paper about the I-95 widening through Brevard County:
* The widening between Palm Bay Road (CR-516) and Fiske Blvd (SR-519) will be finished in March or April - 6 months ahead of schedule
* The Pineda Causeway interchange will be opening in December
* The Viera Company, the owner of the Viera master planned community, is planning on widening Wickham Road (CR-509) to 6-lanes at and around I-95, one of the biggest bottlenecks in the county

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100819/NEWS01/8190319/Wickham-bottleneck-in-Viera-to-be-eased

florida

I'm excited for the Pineda Causeway exit to open.

As promised a few posts ago, a couple photos.

Some new end signage for I-4

Old signs at US 1 and SR 400

New obnoxious signs at US 1 and SR 400

FLRoads

Thanks for posting that Interstate 4 ENDS sign! Not that is anything too exciting, but at least there is another clear indication that the interstate ends. I remember the first couple of times driving on Interstate 4 and completely missing the END shield because I had to keep an eye on merging vehicles...

florida

Quote from: flaroads on August 23, 2010, 10:17:11 PM
Thanks for posting that Interstate 4 ENDS sign! Not that is anything too exciting, but at least there is another clear indication that the interstate ends. I remember the first couple of times driving on Interstate 4 and completely missing the END shield because I had to keep an eye on merging vehicles...

Sure thing. They've changed that now, with (temporarily?) the far left lane of the dual-lane exit onto northbound I-95 removed with a stripe-out, so that there is only one lane.

mefailenglish

On my way south, I noticed a END I-95 assembly...on the ramp to I-4 West.  Huh?

Also noticed a few BGS's with button copy on eastbound US 41 approaching the Turnpike.  Is there much button copy left in FL?

I think I'll be checking out some kodachrome in Boca, Lauderdale, and Miami this weekend.  Oh, and I have to take a picture of a non-neutered FLORIDA I-75 shield I spotted last month.

Alex

Quote from: mefailenglish on September 03, 2010, 09:26:24 AM
On my way south, I noticed a END I-95 assembly...on the ramp to I-4 West.  Huh?

Also noticed a few BGS's with button copy on eastbound US 41 approaching the Turnpike.  Is there much button copy left in FL?

I think I'll be checking out some kodachrome in Boca, Lauderdale, and Miami this weekend.  Oh, and I have to take a picture of a non-neutered FLORIDA I-75 shield I spotted last month.

The quirky end I-95 sign on the ramp to I-4 has been up since 2001. I suppose its to let Disney bound tourists, that for them, I-95 has ended.  :banghead:

I am surprised there is some button copy left in south Florida. There used to be a number of signs along Interstate 95 through Palm Beach County retaining it. Have never seen a button-copy based shield though in use.

There are a few instances of red U.S. 1's in Miami, a classic state-named shield for I-95 down there, and a reverse US 98 and red US 1 further north (one in Boca, the other in WPB). Pm me and I'll give you exact locations if you want.

D-Dey65

Well, I got the message nearly a month ago, but FDOT #5 has given me the following answer regarding the signage for the US 441/SR 46 interchange;

Quote"At a cost of between two and three hundred thousand dollars each, we will not be adding overhead signs to indicate the junction of SR 46 with US 441.  In addition to the cost, it is unlikely there is sufficient right of way to safely install a cantilever structure along US 441.  While there had been no previous concerns expressed regarding advance notification of the junction, we will look at possible improvements to ground mounted signing approaching the interchange in both directions."

So even if they don't have BGS's for the interchange, they're at least going to let motorists know when they're coming close to SR 46, and that's good enough for me.

D-Dey65

Here's an unfinished photoshop of a sign tree that I think should exist at the east end of SR 54 in Zephyrhills:

Currently, the "TO FL 39 -->" sign is on a separate signpost.

florida

Did they get rid of the END SR 54 sign?

D-Dey65

Quote from: florida on September 10, 2010, 02:04:15 AM
You know, I honestly didn't notice it.

florida

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 11, 2010, 01:46:19 AM
Quote from: florida on September 10, 2010, 02:04:15 AM
You know, I honestly didn't notice it.

It looks like it from the photo. Didn't SR 54 used to be two lanes, without the median? The "old" sign assembly had END SR 54 on the left and US 301 [arrows, or JCT?] on the right (the picture is somewhere here), and when I took it, there was one of those black lamp posts which bisected the sign assembly straight down the middle.

D-Dey65

Well, in any case, there's some bad news on FDOT construction project. That big "improvement" projet they've got for I-75 in southern Pasco County; You look at all the construction, and you think  it's going to be widened from four to six lanes between SR's 54 and 56, right? WRONG! It's still four lanes wide, except at the new bridge over SR 54.

Furthermore, the new ramps that are going to prevent weaving between I-275 and SR 56, are all going to be designated Exit 275, even on I-275, where the new ramp is around the 60-ish mile marker.

As for SR 56 itself, it only goes as far east as Meadow Point Boulevard, but a recent Bay New 9 report claimed it was completed. That road's not going to be completed until it reaches US 301.

florida

I didn't know there is an extension of "SR 56" east from SR 581. Is this the beginning of the end for SR 54 (east of I-75) and SR 581?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.