News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: florida on September 16, 2010, 02:17:55 PM
I didn't know there is an extension of "SR 56" east from SR 581. Is this the beginning of the end for SR 54 (east of I-75) and SR 581?
I doubt it. SRs 54 and 56 were supposed to run parallel to each other between I-75 and US 301, although a "West Zephyrhills Bypass" is planned between CR 577 and the intersection of CRs 54 & 579, which creates the potential for realignment of SR 54. SR 56 was always intended to go as far east as US 301 in Zephyrhills. Some maps in the St. Petersburg Times have already shown the segment between Morris Bridge Road and US 301 as having been built, and the land for that segment hasn't even been cleared yet.

florida

I would think that FDOT would want to streamline the SHS. Looking on a map, it's a convoluted state-maintained route across southern Pasco County. With the "extension of SR 56", it seems too crowded with state routes for a county like Pasco (don't get me wrong, I like more state routes, but some counties have a more basic setup and some are more complex...Pasco is more basic). If SR 54 is routed along the future bypass, then that would make more sense. With the way it's been dolled-up in downtown Zephyrhills, it looks more like a local-maintained route than a state route.
So many roads...so little time.

mefailenglish

Today I clinched the last piece of US 27 I had been missing in Florida...between I-75 and FL 29.  Not much to see except for lovebugs.  Lots and lots of lovebugs.  

I cut across FL 70 to pick up US 98/441 to head back toward Dade County.  Took a few snaps that actually turned out well for a change.

There was a stretch (I think in Martin County) where they were doing repaving, and the contractor kindly posted the "hidden" routes along with the US highways.

FL 729 is posted with a TRUCK banner along its entire route.

I thought this may have been an old US 441 sign from behind, but when I investigated, I found this goofy looking thing.  And there was no mention of 441 or 98, just the state route.  There was another one on CR 880 at Twenty Mile Bend.

BTW, when was US 98 routed off CR/FL 700 and onto FL 80/US 441 between Twenty Mile Bend and Canal Point?  I did note one large error US 98 shield posted along FL 700 where FL/CR 700 cross US 441/98/FL 80.  I tried to get a pic but that one didn't turn out at all (of course).

The cutouts near Lion Country Safari are still there but the "SOUTH" banner and the US 441 shield under the "NORTH" banner are now missing.

There are quite a few I-95 trailblazers along FL 80/US 98 but this was the only one I saw that wasn't neutered.  Not far from PBI.

mefailenglish

Sure, you can still find keys shields kicking around in North Florida without looking too hard.  But in Miami-Dade County?

realjd

They just started mounting the first of the BGSs along I95 through the Brevard construction zone. There's a pile of unmounted ones on the side of the road just north of SR-514, and the first one to go up is at the Wickham Road (CR-509) exit southbound. Like the previous construction just to the north, they appear to be using overhead mounted signs rather than ones on the side of the highway. The one that's up has two lines - "Wickham (CR-509 shield) Road" and "Viera". This is the first time that Viera has appeared on a sign along I-95. Previously it indicated Satellite Beach and Patrick AFB.

I'm anxious for the Pineda Causeway signs to go up because I want to know if it will be numbered SR-404 or not, but no sign of them yet. I also want to see if they continue to use a US-192 shield with a black background on the exit signage or if they switch to the standard cutout.

I've started seeing some weird state highway shields in the area. They use the same Florida outline but the numbers are extra large, leaving much less white space on the sign. I couldn't find any pictures, but they really stand out. It makes the sign seem too cluttered IMO.

florida

Realjd, do those highway shields look like any of these?

[Edited to get rid of extraneous photos after the question was answered.]

jwolfer

Quote from: flaroads on January 21, 2009, 12:39:55 PM
Switching highways but in the same general area, I have received word from FDOT that the new signage to convert the eastern half of the Jacksonville Beltway from Florida 9A to I-295.  The bids are suppose to go out this September and the signage will be in place by sometime in 2010.  Also, once completely signed as I-295, the beltway will be split into the I-295 West Beltway and I-295 East Beltway with I-95 being the divider.  Exit numbers are already painted onto the off ramps on the eastern side but according to FDOT these may not be the final numbers (but I think they would be since they went ahead and marked them).  The only interchange that has exit tabs on the eastern half is at I-95 (heading westbound on 9A) and its exit number is 61.

Hecksher Dr/Zoo Parkway SR 105 exit has tabs as exit 41

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jwolfer on October 29, 2010, 08:20:46 PM
Quote from: flaroads on January 21, 2009, 12:39:55 PM
Switching highways but in the same general area, I have received word from FDOT that the new signage to convert the eastern half of the Jacksonville Beltway from Florida 9A to I-295.  The bids are suppose to go out this September and the signage will be in place by sometime in 2010.  Also, once completely signed as I-295, the beltway will be split into the I-295 West Beltway and I-295 East Beltway with I-95 being the divider.  Exit numbers are already painted onto the off ramps on the eastern side but according to FDOT these may not be the final numbers (but I think they would be since they went ahead and marked them).  The only interchange that has exit tabs on the eastern half is at I-95 (heading westbound on 9A) and its exit number is 61.

Hecksher Dr/Zoo Parkway SR 105 exit has tabs as exit 41

Been posted since October '09. ;)
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1211.msg41359#msg41359
I have a picture posted of it at that link. ;)

NE2

Quote from: florida on July 29, 2010, 07:11:45 PM
-It looks like the "South SR 15 / TO SR 408" assembly on South Street, just east of Orange, has been removed. :(
I took a walk arond downtown Orlando less than a month ago and it was still there, unless my memory is totally borked. Not that it's ever been correct (well, I think SR 15 did at one time go there, but the sign is way too recent for that).

One thing I like about Orlando is how the state roads that have gaps in maintenance are still signed as though they don't have any. For example SR 527 is city-maintained between Gore and Colonial, yet it's reasonably well signed.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

This is under the Citrus Center in downtown Orlando (east side of Orange between Jackson and Church). Check out the arrows:

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: mefailenglish on October 02, 2010, 02:15:14 PM
Sure, you can still find keys shields kicking around in North Florida without looking too hard.  But in Miami-Dade County?

holy hell, what is with the font on those numbers?!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: florida on October 27, 2010, 02:56:49 PM

They look identical to that 537 shield. What's up with those?

Most of ours around here look like that 659 shield, but we have a few with a smaller font.

florida

Quote from: NE2 on October 31, 2010, 03:01:25 AM
Quote from: florida on July 29, 2010, 07:11:45 PM
-It looks like the "South SR 15 / TO SR 408" assembly on South Street, just east of Orange, has been removed. :(
I took a walk arond downtown Orlando less than a month ago and it was still there, unless my memory is totally borked. Not that it's ever been correct (well, I think SR 15 did at one time go there, but the sign is way too recent for that).

One thing I like about Orlando is how the state roads that have gaps in maintenance are still signed as though they don't have any. For example SR 527 is city-maintained between Gore and Colonial, yet it's reasonably well signed.

It is still there. I couldn't see it when walking around (imagine that) but have no problem seeing it while driving by it as recently as yesterday (among other times). Forgive my lax, or lazy(?), attitude when it comes to editing that post :D The 25-year-old I-4 shield still stands in that same area, too.

Quote from: realjd on November 02, 2010, 09:59:43 AM
Quote from: florida on October 27, 2010, 02:56:49 PM

They look identical to that 537 shield. What's up with those?

Most of ours around here look like that 659 shield, but we have a few with a smaller font.

Those megafonts show up in random places and there is usually only one. Does Brevard still have the ones where the number tries to hug the bottom and/or left margins? Those are annoying.

realjd

Quote from: florida on November 04, 2010, 04:41:53 PM
Those megafonts show up in random places and there is usually only one. Does Brevard still have the ones where the number tries to hug the bottom and/or left margins? Those are annoying.

A few of the megafont signs have shown up in recent months. One is on NB US1 at SR518. I can't remember where the others are.

Yep, we have a several where the number is at the bottom-left. I want to say that one of them is on US192 at A1A, but don't quote me on that.

realjd

I just got back from a camping down at Bahia Honda in the Keys. On the way back I noticed some weird shields on new BGSs in the Miami area. They're the standard TOLL state road shield, except the top part is black on yellow instead of white on green. There's one NB on the Turnpike Extension at the 836 interchange, then a few EB along 836. Note that these are on the overhead signs only; the reassurance markers are still the standard ones.

I don't remember hearing anything about the TOLL SR shields changing, so I'm assuming this is just MDX doing their own thing.

NE2

Yeah, it's an MDX thing for free sections of toll roads.

realjd

Quote from: NE2 on November 08, 2010, 04:23:58 PM
Yeah, it's an MDX thing for free sections of toll roads.

For free sections, MDX used to use the standard green TOLL signs without the word "TOLL" in them. This is different.

NE2

Perhaps that's a portion that used to be free, and they're warning you that it's now toll?

realjd

There are a few MDX roads that they added tolls to now that they're converting to toll-by-plate. I don't think 836 is one of them.

There are a number of variants on the toll shield in use - red vs. black state outline, squished into a square shape, etc. - but this is the first I've seen that used yellow. The shields did look sharp.

I dug around a bit in the 2009 MUTCD section on toll roads. It says (among other things):
Quote"A rectangular panel with the black legend TOLL on a yellow background shall be incorporated into the
guide signs leading road users to a toll highway (see Figure 2F-5)."

I wonder if this is MDX and/or FDOT trying to comply with that?

Alps

Sorry I didn't get here sooner.  Yes, from now on, Florida's toll routes will be black/yellow instead of white/green to comply with the MUTCD.

Alex

Quote from: AlpsROADS on November 10, 2010, 12:01:40 AM
Sorry I didn't get here sooner.  Yes, from now on, Florida's toll routes will be black/yellow instead of white/green to comply with the MUTCD.

Lame :thumbdown: and way to many signs to be replaced to bother with. I suppose they will be grandfathered in as old stock is depleted... 

rickmastfan67

Yes, from now on, Florida's toll routes will be black/yellow instead of white/green to comply with the MUTCD.

Any official source on this?

realjd

Does this include reassurance markers, or just shields on directional signs?

Alps

Official source I couldn't say, although it may be buried back in the commentary on the NPA or may have come out just after the MUTCD did.  Whatever the grace period is, I imagine that's how long Florida will wait to replace the shields, though a lot of them are on the toll system and thus aren't subject to the whim of the FHWA anyway.  While I'm not tied to FDOT in any way, I'm sure shields on directional signs will follow the same rules, but those are even less likely to be replaced.

NE2

Given that they have two interchangeable seemingly-randomly-chosen standards (florida outline black or red) I can see them keeping the green TOLL on some signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.