News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

On EB 408, I've never had any confusion with regard to the left exit for NB 417. It's very clearly marked. On SB 417, even though it's well marked, the left exit for WB 408 always throws me. It's just counter-intuitive to have a left exit for a right turn. At least for EB 408 the left exit is for a left turn.

I have a similar mental block about the NB HEFT/874 interchange in Miami.

NE2

And it really wouldn't be hard to change the exit from southbound 417 to a right exit while otherwise keeping the connector the same. As I said, I don't buy the reason. Perhaps they're going to sell the newly-vacant land to a developer.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ace10

So they're getting rid of hidden FL-4080? I believe that's the hidden state road number for the connector between EB 408 and NB 417, and between SB 417 and WB 408 (hope I got those numbers and directions right). I can't understand why. I've taken that stretch between the two toll roads a few times, and it's more gradual and more direct than driving to the other interchange between 408/417, which is what I'm assuming they'll have drivers do once this project is complete. I agree that the directions and BGS's are well marked, but the lanes are kinda funky if you're not paying attention. Weaving may be the problem they're trying to eliminate.

mefailenglish

Quote from: florida on December 15, 2010, 11:49:02 AM
No more black US 98 shield on southbound US 1, instead there is a JCT US 98/FL 80 sign. RIP :(
Speaking of 98...apparently someone in Levy County found some extra money.  I went through Chiefland this past weekend and was STUNNED to see green ALT 27s, red 19s, and black 98's replaced with boring standard shields.  I didn't check them all but all the ones I did check had been replaced.

FLRoads

It seems that the tolled "Lexus Lane" concept along a 21-mile stretch of Interstate 4 from Florida 435 (Kirkman Road) to Florida 434 (Longwood) is being discussed once more...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/os-interstate4-lexus-lanes-20110107,0,1082004.story

realjd

I think it's a good idea. It doesn't matter what time of day; traffic on that stretch of I-4 is always terrible. It seems to be working out real well for Miami along I-95 (although I wish you could get form the express lanes to I-195), and the same with Tampa on the Crosstown Expressway.

Rep. Mica may have outlawed toll lanes on interstate highways, but I see no reason why an unsigned stretch of SR-400, contained entirely in the median of I-4, couldn't have them! :)

agentsteel53

speaking of SR-400, I have a few questions.  Are any or all of these statements correct?

1) per the 1945 Great Renumbering, SR-400 was the hidden route designator for US-92.

2) when I-4 was built, SR-400 was moved onto it.

3) thus, US-92 now has no hidden route designator.  (Or it does, if so what is it?)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

None are correct. US 92 was SR *6*00 in 1945. SR 400 was not designated until later, presumably during Interstate planning. (SR 700 is also a later diagonal, perhaps designated when US 98 was extended.)

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

realjd

To add to what NE2 said, US92 is currently SR-600. Before the renumbering, it followed a number of state routes:
    * SR 17 from Tampa to Haines City
    * SR 2 from Haines City to Orlando
    * SR 3 from Orlando to DeLand
    * SR 21 from DeLand to Daytona Beach
(from Wikipedia)

agentsteel53

thanks for the corrections.  I really had no idea.  so 400 and 600 run quite close together?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Yes (especially at the US 301 interchange in Tampa).

florida

Updates to the State Road System for 2010...

-SR 15 has been added [again] from SR 526 (Robinson) to SR 50/US 17/US 92.
-US 17/US 92 now have a one-way-pair in Lake Alfred which [possibly] takes up some parts of CR 557 and CR 555. http://www.theledger.com/article/20101001/REPORTER/101009991?p=1&tc=pg ...On Google Maps, there is a dirt-like road, west of US 17/92, extending from the north side where it curves into the city of Lake Alfred to the south side where the 6-lane segment "used to end"....that's the routing.
-SR 46 has had some realignment at Osceola Road between Geneva and Sanford. Plus, the small section [79-020-000] that clipped Volusia County (0.103 miles) has been dropped.
-Quadrille Blvd in West Palm Beach has been added as US 1/SR 5. Yet, SR 5 on Olive from Belvedere to Southern has been deleted, as has SR 882 east of US 1 and the tiny section of SR 5 on Palm Beach Lakes Blvd/12th St between Dixie and Olive.
-Jacksonville had the deletion of extraneous sections of SR 5/SR 228 in downtown.
-Various tiny tidbit [ramp] sections of SR 60 near Tampa International Airport have been both deleted and added.
So many roads...so little time.

NE2

Quote from: florida on January 13, 2011, 04:00:25 PM
Meaning it's now state-maintained there?

-US 17/US 92 now have a one-way-pair in Lake Alfred which [possibly] takes up some parts of CR 557 and CR 555.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.08745&lon=-81.72949&zoom=16&layers=M
CR 557 was realigned and part of CR 555 was used for the southbound lanes. Since it was still under construction last time I was there, I don't know if CR 555 is still signed at all.

florida

Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2011, 06:03:11 PM
Meaning it's now state-maintained there?

Yes, even on the Fed-Aid maps (updated at the beginning of the month) show it highlighted.

-US 17/US 92 now have a one-way-pair in Lake Alfred which [possibly] takes up some parts of CR 557 and CR 555.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.08745&lon=-81.72949&zoom=16&layers=M
CR 557 was realigned and part of CR 555 was used for the southbound lanes. Since it was still under construction last time I was there, I don't know if CR 555 is still signed at all.

Thanks for the map. Interesting how they did it. If CR 555 is still signed, it would most likely be remnant signage at its south end.

rickmastfan67

florida, I can't believe you missed that FDOT now has I-295 shown as an entire loop in Jacksonville in the GIS files.

realjd

-SR 46 has had some realignment at Osceola Road between Geneva and Sanford. Plus, the small section [79-020-000] that clipped Volusia County (0.103 miles) has been dropped.

So it's not a state highway anymore through Volusia County? Are you sure it's only .103 miles through Volusia? The little leg of Volusia that drops south is narrow but I don't remember it being that narrow...

Eth

I think he's referring to this part:

SR 46 also passes through Volusia again farther east for what looks like three or four miles.

realjd

Ok, I didn't know it did that. I was thinking of the stretch through the far south tip of Volusia farther east. I haven't driven it farther west than CR426 which is my normal route to go to the Little Big Econ State Forest.

jwolfer

Updates to the State Road System for 2010...

-US 17/US 92 now have a one-way-pair in Lake Alfred which [possibly] takes up some parts of CR 557 and CR 555. http://www.theledger.com/article/20101001/REPORTER/101009991?p=1&tc=pg ...On Google Maps, there is a dirt-like road, west of US 17/92, extending from the north side where it curves into the city of Lake Alfred to the south side where the 6-lane segment "used to end"....that's the routing.
-Quadrille Blvd in West Palm Beach has been added as US 1/SR 5. Yet, SR 5 on Olive from Belvedere to Southern has been deleted, as has SR 882 east of US 1 and the tiny section of SR 5 on Palm Beach Lakes Blvd/12th St between Dixie and Olive.
-Jacksonville had the deletion of extraneous sections of SR 5/SR 228 in downtown.
-Various tiny tidbit [ramp] sections of SR 60 near Tampa International Airport have been both deleted and added.

So Is SR 228 discontinuous?   It is signed as a multiplex on US17 between SR129(McDuff Ave) and I-10.. There are sporadic signg directing you on Monroe St/Adams St but not signed at all on the Hard Bridge.  The only place I see 228 refering to the Hart Bridge Expressway is GPS or the Traffic reports on the Weather Channel

NE2

SR 228 is signed all along I-10 and I-95. Whether FDOT's GIS data reflects this is not too relevant. Personally I would have said screw state maintenance and routed it along Adams/Forsyth direct to I-95.

But, to answer your question literally, SR 228 is discontinuous. There's a piece of CR 228 between Macclenny and Maxville.

florida

Sorry for all the confusion.

Quote from: realjd on January 13, 2011, 10:13:37 PM
So it's not a state highway anymore through Volusia County? Are you sure it's only .103 miles through Volusia? The little leg of Volusia that drops south is narrow but I don't remember it being that narrow...

I couldn't place the smaller section without a clear map, but thanks to Eth, it makes sense now with the realigned portion at Osceola Road. Haven't been up there lately, but seems they built a new bridge which wasn't routed through Volusia County.

As for SR 228, first it was taken off College/Post Streets (along with US 17), but there was remnant state maintenance along Water and Bay Streets in downtown that included portions of SR 5 listed along them.

"West Bay Street from Ocean Street to Jefferson Street (SR 5)
Water Street from Jefferson Street to and including a portion of Ocean Street (SR 5 from Jefferson to Broad, rest is SR 228)
Jefferson Street from Water Street to West Bay Street (SR 5)
Riverside Avenue from the on ramp of the Acosta Bridge to Water Street (SR 228)
Broad Street from Water Street to West Bay Street (SR 5)"

NE2

Does SR 211 make it to the Acosta Bridge?

florida

Quote from: NE2 on January 15, 2011, 04:49:52 PM
Does SR 211 make it to the Acosta Bridge?

According to the maps, it looks like it ends around Roselle Street (just on the north side of I-95), but the Fed-Aid Report says Peninsular Place. It used to extend to Alfred Dupont Place where the now-defunct section of SR 228 started from (again). There is still a 0.241 mile section maintained on northbound Riverside Drive at the Acosta Bridge from about Leila Street to Water Street. The two ramps of the Acosta Bridge (northbound off and southbound on) are still state maintained as they're part of SR 13.

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on January 14, 2011, 05:34:25 PM
SR 228 is signed all along I-10 and I-95. Whether FDOT's GIS data reflects this is not too relevant. Personally I would have said screw state maintenance and routed it along Adams/Forsyth direct to I-95.

But, to answer your question literally, SR 228 is discontinuous. There's a piece of CR 228 between Macclenny and Maxville.

its not really signed on I10/I95.  The BGS has a tab that say "TO" US17/SR 228.  i am aware of the CR 228 in Western Duval and Baker Counties. But is it really a discontinuous SR if there is acounty maintained portion... I dont really condsider that discontinus

NE2

No, it's discontinuous because there's a county signed portion. Similarly, US 3's south end is in Cambridge, not at the old Sagamore Rotary.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.