News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on January 16, 2011, 07:34:23 PM
No, it's discontinuous because there's a county signed portion. Similarly, US 3's south end is in Cambridge, not at the old Sagamore Rotary.

The route in my mind is not discontinuous.  There is a county maintained portion its the same route, i am sure others will disagree.  Especially here in Florida where most CRs are in the statewide grid.  And many CRs were former SRs or SSRs.

Alps

No, it's discontinuous because there's a county signed portion. Similarly, US 3's south end is in Cambridge, not at the old Sagamore Rotary.
Different beast, US 3 never extended down past Boston.

Alps

Quote from: jwolfer on January 19, 2011, 02:51:49 PM

The route in my mind is not discontinuous.  There is a county maintained portion its the same route, i am sure others will disagree.

Things You Will Never Hear a Roadgeek Say

NE2

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 19, 2011, 09:12:16 PM
Different beast, US 3 never extended down past Boston.

Fine. US 222 goes from US 1 to I-78, not Perryville to Allentown.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 19, 2011, 09:12:58 PM

The route in my mind is not discontinuous.  There is a county maintained portion its the same route, i am sure others will disagree.

I disagree.  If the route continues with the same number, especially if it is a "downgraded" road i like to think of the number continuing .  I can appreciate the other side of the argument.  Sadly most people wouldn't even notice. 

In Volusia County there are a couple roads that flip from CR to SR off the top of my head there is Clyde Morris Blvd which is *R 483 for the entire route being SR from Mason Ave( SR/CR 430) to Beville Rd(SR 400).  Mason Ave is another one, SR 430 is fromClyde Morris Blvd (SR/CR 483) east to SR A1A.  At lease Volusia Co signs CRs, Duval County does not, the only place you see CR pentagons in Duval is where the state has repacved intersecting roads.  (ie CR 228 west  is signed at US 301)

jwolfer

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 19, 2011, 09:12:58 PM

The route in my mind is not discontinuous.  There is a county maintained portion its the same route, i am sure others will disagree.

Don't be a hater!  I hate having my roadgeek cred being questioned  LOL

realjd

There was a huge tanker explosion on SR528 yesterday. Both the EB and the WB bridges over SR3 are damaged beyond repair and will have to be completely replaced:
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110122/NEWS01/101220317/Dental-records-to-ID-2-killed-in-fiery-crash

jdb1234

Quote from: realjd on January 22, 2011, 09:03:17 PM
There was a huge tanker explosion on SR528 yesterday. Both the EB and the WB bridges over SR3 are damaged beyond repair and will have to be completely replaced:
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110122/NEWS01/101220317/Dental-records-to-ID-2-killed-in-fiery-crash

Is this the first time something like this has happened in Florida since the I-75 SB bridge over US 301 in Ellenton was damaged nearly 3 years ago?

Alex

Plan to build entire Outer Beltway abandoned; state will try to do it in pieces

QuoteFebruary 4, 2011

It was only 11 months ago that then-Gov. Charlie Crist announced that plans to build the First Coast Outer Beltway were being expedited so construction could begin as soon as possible.

That plan, like Crist's immediate political career, is history.

On Friday, the Florida Department of Transportation conceded it was abandoning plans to have a private partner build the entire 46.5-mile toll road from Interstate 10 in Duval County to Interstate 95 in St. Johns County.

The state now wants someone to build only a 15-mile portion of the road and will worry about getting the rest built later.

No private companies were willing to spend the estimated $1.8 billion it would have cost to build the entire road. It would have been a tollway, so the builder could have made back the investment.

"The recession really hurt our efforts to do this,"  FDOT District Secretary Alan Mosley  said. "We're going to scale back and see if we can do this in pieces."

The state will now look for a private company to take the existing Branan Field Road, which would be part of the Outer Beltway, and turn it into a four-lane toll road from I-10 to Blanding Boulevard. It will cost about $250 million to $300 million.

Flyovers would be built over New World Avenue, Normandy Boulevard, 103rd Street and other roadways that intersect Branan Field Road.

The state is now conducting an economic feasibility study to determine ridership on a toll road and what a private company would have to charge to make money. That study should be completed by the summer, Mosley said.

A previous study estimated between 12,000 and 30,000 cars daily on that section of road if a 20-cent toll was charged. But that study focused on the entire roadway and didn't estimate how much money would be generated with a 15-mile road.

The state's original plan was scuttled last summer when companies that examined the project raised concerns about cost.

"It's an enormous amount of money to put down,"  said Antonio Garrastazu,  director of business and government affairs for Globalvia Infrastructures, a company based in Madrid and Miami that met with the state to discuss the project.

Garrastazu said his company was interested but needed concessions, such as the state reimbursing the company if revenue projections were not met. FDOT refused.

Clay County Commissioner Doug Conkey  said doing the segment from I-10 to Blanding was the most logical way to move forward because it would make it easier to access Cecil Field while also easing traffic on Blanding Boulevard.

It also is close to shovel ready, with an existing road than only needs to be widened and modified. Segments south of Blanding will require an entirely new road.

Jeff Sheffield, executive director of the North Florida Transportation Planning Organization, which does long-term transportation planning for the area, said the first section is critical to the rest of the project. If a private company can come in and successfully operate the 15 miles from I-10 to Blanding, he said, it will make the rest of the proposed roadway more attractive for future construction.

DeaconG

The Beachline SR528 bridges over SR 3 were completed and opened to traffic last Sunday, three days ahead of schedule.  Lane Construction did a kick-butt job of getting the work done, and several of my co-workers were more than relieved -they live in Merritt Island and had to detour around to get to KSC.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

realjd

I just saw on the FDOT website that Florida's adopting of the 2009 MUTCD is on hold as per Executive Order:
http://www.dot.state.fl.us/TrafficOperations/Operations/MUTCD.shtm

Also, one of those new yellow-bannered toll shields showed up in Orlando. It's on the overhead BGS for the onramp onto 528 at the McCoy Road/Sand Lake Road interchange. I liked the look of the ones in Miami but I'm not a fan of this one. They retained the orange state outline. I like the orange outline better on the older green-bannered shields, but it looks goofy on the yellow ones IMO.

NE2

Not to mention that it's not a toll road if you get off at Conway.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Move Santa Rosa County 399 on Navarre Beach Causeway from virtually unsigned to partially signed. I wrote the county about the lack of signage and earlier this week a new sign went up just south of U.S. 98.

florida

Did they still have the FL 399 shields in Navarre Beach, itself?
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

Quote from: florida on February 27, 2011, 11:54:39 PM
Did they still have the FL 399 shields in Navarre Beach, itself?

No those were still posted in February 2006 but removed some time after that. One of my points to the county was those shields and how they were removed (not replaced). The email I received last week indicated that signs were installed on Gulf Boulevard. So I followed up with the fact that they were not.

FLRoads

Quote from: Alex on February 25, 2011, 03:57:48 PM

Move Santa Rosa County 399 on Navarre Beach Causeway from virtually unsigned to partially signed. I wrote the county about the lack of signage and earlier this week a new sign went up just south of U.S. 98.

This sign hasn't even been up a week and it has already seen a change! While driving home today I noticed that the county has come back out and flipped the positions of the shield and banner, so it's no longer in the "Utah-style". Of course my initial thought was that they added more shields down along Gulf Boulevard, but alas, my trip across the bridge to the beach was a waste as still no new signs have been erected. So instead the county wasted time, money and fuel to come out and rearrange a sign assembly that really did not need changing...it's no wonder that people hate our government (local, state, federal) for wasteful spending...

NE2

OOCEA is currently working on the new SR 414-429 interchange. You can see it on the 2011 aerials at http://paarcgis.ocpafl.org/Webmap3/default.aspx.

FLRoads

Quote from: NE2 on March 20, 2011, 04:34:02 PM
OOCEA is currently working on the new SR 414-429 interchange. You can see it on the 2011 aerials at http://paarcgis.ocpafl.org/Webmap3/default.aspx.

Looks like they have made some real progress on that part of the project. Not much has been done on the rest of the extension up to US 441 though. Went to OOCEA and they have a one page PDF on Phase II: http://www.oocea.com/Corporate/oursystem/SR429/assets/SR429SR414interchange.pdf

Going to be weird once it opens to see that remaining portion of FL 429 becoming FL 451. It seems to me that it could have been re-designated as FL 414A instead, since it will be branched off of FL 414...

NE2

Florida hasn't done (signed) suffixes (at least A routes) that way since the small renumbering in the 1980s. For example, SR 5A has both ends at SR 5 (despite SR 5 not being signed), but SR 15A was renumbered SR 551 because only the south end was at SR 15.

They've torn down the wall on the west side of CR 437A:

February 2009

July 2009

March 2011

Ace10

I drove all the way up and down FL-429 yesterday from the Turnpike to US-441 and back. I noticed they were further along on extending something further west. I'm thinking it's FL-414 they're extending? - Which will also be multiplexed with FL-429 eventually. I haven't pulled out the proposed ROW and compared it against what I saw out on the road but it seems that's what they're doing. It would be nice to have a full interchange between 429 and 414 too.

NE2

Right now, they're just building the new alignments of 414 and 429 to the new interchange. So there will be some unused roadway there until they build the continuation to US 441 at Plymouth.

http://www.oocea.com/Corporate/oursystem/SR429/assets/SR429SR414interchange.pdf
Current construction ends just north of Harmon Road.

roadman65

How about this flyover that I am sure is done as this photo is two years old.  It will allow the high speed movement to the future I-295 to the east of Jacksonville from I-95 Southbound and hopefully soon FL 9A will be history!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/5038614691/
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2011, 06:52:36 PM
How about this flyover that I am sure is done as this photo is two years old.  It will allow the high speed movement to the future I-295 to the east of Jacksonville from I-95 Southbound and hopefully soon FL 9A will be history!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/5038614691/

That flyover is already completed and opened. ;)
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-08-22/story/new-flyover-opens-northside-connect-interstate-95-southbound-florida-9a

And here's a link to some pictures that I had taken of it after that photo you linked to taken on 10/21/09-10/22/09. ;)
http://rickmastfan67.blogspot.com/2009/10/fl-i-95s-new-flyover.html

Ace10

Quote from: realjd on February 19, 2011, 11:55:58 AMAlso, one of those new yellow-bannered toll shields showed up in Orlando. It's on the overhead BGS for the onramp onto 528 at the McCoy Road/Sand Lake Road interchange. I liked the look of the ones in Miami but I'm not a fan of this one. They retained the orange state outline. I like the orange outline better on the older green-bannered shields, but it looks goofy on the yellow ones IMO.

Update! Just drove along FL 50 earlier today. At the intersection with Good Homes Rd (28.55193 N, 81.50495 W) there are two new FL 408 trailblazers posted, one on westbound FL 50, and the other on eastbound FL 50. Both feature the yellow TOLL banner (instead of the former green) and a black state outline.

Now that I've actually seen one of these in the field, I'm kind of torn. I like how they resemble the regular black and white state road shields with the "MUTCD" yellow banner and how they're still curved on the bottom, but I also liked how the green and orange variety (at least in the Orlando area) stood out as being freeways, much like the red, white, and blue color of the Interstate shields stand out as freeways against the other marked roads like US routes and such that may not necessarily be freeway standard.

FLRoads

So does that mean they are finally done with the improvements to FL 50 and Good Homes Road? It's been going on for ever it seems like...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.