News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sunshine Skyway Bridge

Started by Alex, January 19, 2009, 01:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

A bit of history comes to an end...

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/8/21/375518.html?title=Part+of+Skyway+Fishing+Pier+State+Park+to+close+

Part of Skyway Fishing Pier State Park to close
Thursday, August 21, 2008

PINELLAS COUNTY -- The Florida Department of Transportation and Florida Department of Environmental Protection have announced that they will close the eastern portions of the fishing piers of the Skyway Fishing Pier State Park.

The agencies issued this statement Thursday:

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) are working together to continue the operation of the western piers of the Skyway Fishing Pier State Park.

In order to maintain public safety, FDOT and FDEP will close the eastern portions of the fishing piers which were built in 1954 and can no longer be safely maintained.

Both agencies believe that this is the best decision to protect the community's safety while allowing for continued recreational enjoyment.

We are committed to working with the community to ensure this local recreational asset will continue to serve the needs of residents and visitors in the area."

When the new Sunshine Skyway Bridge was built over Tampa Bay in 1987, connecting St. Petersburg with Manatee County, the old bridges were opened as the Skyway Fishing Pier State Park.

The Skyway Fishing Pier State Park consists of two piers, north and south, that stretch into Tampa Bay. Each north and south pier consists of two former bridges that are joined for vehicular and pedestrian convenience. In 1994, FDEP entered into a 20-year lease with FDOT to manage the piers as a recreational site.

Background and FAQ's

1. Why are the east sides of the Skyway Fishing Piers closing?

The east sides of both piers were constructed in 1954. Over the last 50 years, typical deterioration and saltwater corrosion have lead to the end of the service life of the east sides of the piers. To maintain public safety, it is necessary to close the eastern fishing piers beginning August 29, 2008.

<snip>

2. Why are the eastern piers closing on August 29?

To maintain public safety, engineers at FDOT have indicated that it is necessary to restrict heavy vehicular and pedestrian traffic prior to the Labor Day holiday weekend when heavy visitation is predicted. Engineering evaluation of the pier structures warrants this closure for maintaining public safety.

The eastern piers are part of the original Sunshine Skyway Bridge and are composed of structural concrete beams designed and constructed with early 1950s technology. After more than 50 years of exposure to extremely corrosive conditions, these piers have exceeded their design service life and can no longer benefit from short- or long-term maintenance. FDOT has conducted extensive inspection and engineering evaluations that show it is not practical to spend significant taxpayer's money on these structures.

3. What is the life span of the west sides of the piers?

The west sides were constructed in 1971 and have not yet reached the end of their service life which is expected to be in the 50-year range. However, costly maintenance and replacement needs will need to be evaluated.

FLRoads

Sort of a bittersweet article about my favorite bridge (pier).

Well, considering that the original span was constructed prior to 1954 it's no wonder that the state has decided to close it.  Give the west side piers (the old southbound span) another 15 years and they too will be torn down.  I hope I am not around when that day comes as it will truly be the end of the original Sunshine Skyway structure.

Alex

Quote from: voyager on January 19, 2009, 01:44:04 AM
That sucks, I wonder if something like this is going to be done with the original eastern span of the Bay Bridge in California when the new one opens.

The Skyway approaches are fairly low; I'd imagine you'd need a ton of fishing line to drop from the old Bay Bridge for it to act as a fishing pier!  ;)

Alex

Carter passed this old news clip to along me as we approach the 30 year anniversary of the Skyway Bridge collapase.

simguy228

I can't be the end of Sunshine Skyway I rode it everyday as a kid. It's one of the largest suspension bridges in the world. Anyways it can't be :sad:
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

agentsteel53

Quote from: simguy228 on November 25, 2009, 05:19:02 PM
I can't be the end of Sunshine Skyway I rode it everyday as a kid. It's one of the largest suspension bridges in the world. Anyways it can't be :sad:

no no, the old truss bridge that was hit by a barge and collapsed in 1980.  The new Skyway replaced that bridge in 1982.  The old bridge was taken down, but its south approach is used as a fishing pier.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

Actually the new span was opened to traffic in 1987. However, initial construction began in 1982. And both ends are used as fishing piers, not just the south end :)

And if the new Sunshine Skyway ever got knocked down it would be a triumphant effort on the part of the vessel, as there are about 20 "dolphins" protecting the bridge piers from being struck.

agentsteel53

Quote from: flaroadgeek on November 25, 2009, 05:39:17 PM
Actually the new span was opened to traffic in 1987. However, initial construction began in 1982. And both ends are used as fishing piers, not just the south end :)

And if the new Sunshine Skyway ever got knocked down it would be a triumphant effort on the part of the vessel, as there are about 20 "dolphins" protecting the bridge piers from being struck.

oh, dang, there was a seven-year period with no land crossing on US-19!?!  That's crazy; did traffic go completely to hell?

I really like the term "dolphin" - that is the first place I've ever noted a word for any sort of impact bulwark, so I use the word on land too... around gas pumps they have them too and everyone looks funny at me when I say 'careful opening your door; don't want to hit the dolphin'.

jake@aaroads.com

florida

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 25, 2009, 05:46:30 PM
oh, dang, there was a seven-year period with no land crossing on US-19!?!  That's crazy; did traffic go completely to hell?

I think they used the opposing lanes as a two-lane crossing until the new "suspension" bridge was finished.
So many roads...so little time.

FLRoads

No, traffic used the remaining northbound span for those seven years. It was converted back to two-way traffic, as it was used before the southbound span opened in 1971. Traffic was sometimes hectic going across, especially in the first few years before the nearby Interstate 75 was completed around the Tampa Bay area. 18-wheelers often used the route before the interstate opened but once the bypass was complete truckers were told to use that instead of the Skyway.

agentsteel53

oh, and here I thought the other span had been deemed unsafe as well. 

I seem to remember the fishing pier being only two lanes, though.  Does this mean that the pier was made from the surviving bridge span, as opposed to the one that got knocked down - and the one that got knocked down was quietly made to vanish?

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

Both southbound and northbound spans were used for the fishing pier. The middle part was taken out as part of a demolition.

agentsteel53

Quote from: flaroadgeek on November 25, 2009, 06:35:21 PM
Both southbound and northbound spans were used for the fishing pier. The middle part was taken out as part of a demolition.

for some reason I just remember a single span approach - two lanes.  I distinctly remember people fishing off the south approach, and the north approach I saw that it was there but there was no one on it.  Must've been shut down for the day to clean off pelican crap.

jake@aaroads.com

FLRoads

Well there is a lot of it so it would take quite a while to clean it off!! haha

Actually the east span is supposed to be closed now because the bridge structure is 59 years old and is pretty much rotting away.

Tom

Not my video, but this includes audio of the radio communication between the U.S. Coast Guard base in St. Petersburg and the boat that rammed the bridge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjBGLxMdP4&feature=related :coffee:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.