News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on October 30, 2020, 12:25:33 AM
As for winter, Houston has the advantage of being located far enough south that day length really doesn't vary a ton. Even in December, you'll always get at least 10 hours of daylight there. For anything located above 31 degrees latitude or so, this is not the case. At 40 degrees latitude, day length gets down to 9.25 hours in the heart of winter. And if you keep going north to a place like Seattle (47.6N), you'll find their shortest winter days are less than 8.5 hours long.

I've got some friends in Texas, and last year they were outside, while it was still light out, enjoying their Thanksgiving! That made me jealous, but then in the summer when it's dark there at 7:30 and I've got light until after 9, I decided maybe I don't have it so bad.

And how about Edmonton, where the sun doesn't rise until 8:48 and sets at 4:16, making the shortest day of the year only 7:28 in length?

Quote from: jakeroot on October 30, 2020, 01:00:52 AM
Thank you. Winter days here are far colder than anything Houston would regularly get, often things are wet (not always raining but often it has only been 24 to 48 hours since the last rainfall), and its dark. Like really dark. Like commuting to and from work in either dark or darkish conditions for months.

Looks like Seattle's shortest day is just shy of 8.5 hours and longest day is about 16 hours even. That's a significant swing even from where I am, which is not far from a perfect 9 hours in winter, 15 hours in summer, 12 hours in spring and fall, although we do get a bit more than 15 on the longest summer evenings.

But yeah, it's very easy to forget how far north Seattle is. Even though you know it's not far from the border, that doesn't put it in proper perspective for those of us in the Great Lakes, because of how far south the border is in this area. And you'd normally associate north with cold, harsh winters, but Seattle's relatively moderate climate makes that a little less intuitive.

webny99

I should mention, this morning was the darkest commute of the year for me, and tomorrow will be the darkest morning of the year, period.
The sun didn't rise until 7:44 this morning, but of course after DST ends this weekend, that will go back to 6:45. Then it continues to get darker, but even when the shortest day of the year hits in December, sunrise is still earlier at 7:42.

I assumed this was the case for the entire country, but when I was looking up the data for Seattle for my previous post, I realized that's not the case. The angles of the sun must be such that it depends where you are in the time zone whether your darkest morning is in October or December.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 28, 2020, 03:54:39 AM
Whereas down in the OKC area, we mostly just got ice, it seems. I just got off a 12-hour power outage due to downed power lines.

The ice down there created extra work for our Wichita field techs.  The MSO that our company works for in this region (Cox) is sending all their own techs down to OKC to cover all the work generated by the ice storm.  The work they would usually be doing is being picked up by our guys instead.  Next week, in fact, they're going to a mandatory six-day work week.  This is a blessing, considering work slowed down when COVID hit, and I'm certain plenty of them will be happy for the extra pay.  (They get paid by the point, not by the hour, so every single appointment/work order means more money in their pocket.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on October 30, 2020, 12:28:50 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 30, 2020, 01:00:52 AM
Thank you. Winter days here are far colder than anything Houston would regularly get, often things are wet (not always raining but often it has only been 24 to 48 hours since the last rainfall), and its dark. Like really dark. Like commuting to and from work in either dark or darkish conditions for months.

Looks like Seattle's shortest day is just shy of 8.5 hours and longest day is about 16 hours even. That's a significant swing even from where I am, which is not far from a perfect 9 hours in winter, 15 hours in summer, 12 hours in spring and fall, although we do get a bit more than 15 on the longest summer evenings.

But yeah, it's very easy to forget how far north Seattle is. Even though you know it's not far from the border, that doesn't put it in proper perspective for those of us in the Great Lakes, because of how far south the border is in this area. And you'd normally associate north with cold, harsh winters, but Seattle's relatively moderate climate makes that a little less intuitive.

I constantly have to remind myself that Bellingham is the most northern city in the contiguous US with over 50,000 people. It's really just a short drive up the freeway. Even I forget how far north Seattle is because Vancouver is to the north, and it's just as much of a metropolis as Seattle. In many ways, it feels like a bigger city than Seattle, all nicely tucked away north of sleepy Whatcom County.

To give you some idea of how balmy the west coast is, Canadians flock to the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island during the winter to escape the otherwise brutal winters elsewhere in Canada. I believe Victoria is one of the most popular cities in Canada for retirees because of how warm it is. But both Vancouver and Victoria are colder and (technically) darker than Seattle. It really is all about perspective!

STLmapboy

High 70s, perfectly sunny, wind mild (10 mph). Sunset is at 4:57pm, quite a change from a week ago. Even now (2:45) the sky is yellow.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Quote from: kphoger on November 04, 2020, 03:50:15 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 29, 2020, 04:25:12 PM

Five days later, and the green is almost entirely gone.

St Louis is doing the same right now. It's raking season.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

thspfc

Quote from: STLmapboy on November 04, 2020, 05:37:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 04, 2020, 03:50:15 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 29, 2020, 04:25:12 PM

Five days later, and the green is almost entirely gone.

St Louis is doing the same right now. It's raking season.
The leaves have been gone for a good two weeks here.

webny99

We're somewhere in between, with the majority of the leaves falling last week and weekend and many (but not all) trees bare now.

Billy F 1988

Most of my area in Missoula is under a Winter Weather Advisory until 11 PM MST tonight. It rained last night, then turned to snow overnight and it's a bit on the chilly side with mid 20's and mid-teen's in wind chill index.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

I-55

75 and mostly cloudy, supposed to cool down Wednesday.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

STLmapboy

Overcast and a bit windy. Should get some fairly strong thunderstorms later today; they're currently passing over the KS-MO line.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

NWI_Irish96

72 degrees right now. Will be about 45 in a couple hours.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Bruce

It's been swinging around the 40s for a few days now, but the sun is gone and we're getting off-and-on rain. Winter has truly arrived.

1995hoo

8:50 PM and it's still 63°. Been nice with the windows open 24/7, though that'll end tomorrow (both with rain and with it being a holiday, so we won't be home and that means closing the windows).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

We hit 79° today, easily a record. Very summer-like, just with less sunlight.

hotdogPi

Every day the last 7 days has been in the 70s, but today is the last day of it. The average this time of year should be 55°.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

allniter89

Too warm for early Nov :angry:, high temps this week mid to high 80s. Broke 4 high temp records so far.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

ozarkman417

For a week or so, tempratures were in the low to mid 70s, but have dropped down to the upper 50s and low 60s. It has been sunny for nearly two weeks now, except for the occasional few hours of cloud cover here and there.

ozarkman417

A line of severe thunderstorms is developing to the northwest of here, with the potential of producing tornadoes. This system should arrive in 1-2 hours.

STLmapboy

Quote from: ozarkman417 on November 14, 2020, 06:57:59 PM
A line of severe thunderstorms is developing to the northwest of here, with the potential of producing tornadoes. This system should arrive in 1-2 hours.
Had a very violent thunderstorm in STL this morning; first time I've been awakened by thunder in a while. Rain continued throughout the day. That line's approaching Lebanon with tornados. I have a friend who's a college freshman in Rolla (at S&T) who I'm keeping in contact with. Those cells might hit STL later tonight. It's pretty windy.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

1995hoo

53° and windy. I hope the winds die down. Monday is trash day and some of our neighbors persist in rushing to put theirs out early and not weighting down the recycling by putting heavier items on top, so whenever it's windy we all wind up with front yards full of other people's trash (because of course the responsible parties never go outside to clean up their mess).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

STLmapboy

In STL right now. It stormed all night but its clear now; the storms have moved out east. The main thing is the wind; it's gusting to 43 mph, according to the NWS.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

US71

Mostly sunny and 58 F.

Had some heavy storms overnight that I managed to sleep through.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.