News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-490 in Illinois

Started by N9JIG, December 01, 2014, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N9JIG

On the AASHTO Numbering Committee newsletter was this little tidbit:

I-490 (Illinois):

Begins at a system interchange with the Tri-State Tollway (I-294) connecting facility between I-294 and the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) located 6.2 miles to the northwest over a new Interstate facility. In addition to system interchanges at I-294 and I-90, the facility would connect with:
County Line Road/Franklin Avenue.
Illinois Route 19
Illinois Route 390
Illinois Route 72

The route travels northwest. No focal cities along the Western Access corridor. However, provides access to Bensenville, Chicago, Elk Grove Village, and Des Plaines. In addition, facility designed to accommodate western access into a potential future west terminal at Chicago O'Hare International Airport. Total number of miles the route will cover is 6.2 miles and terminates at a system interchange with the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90).

Letter from AASHTO sent 10/27/2014 to FHWA.

Approved with condition - proposed route has not been constructed and needs to be approved by FHWA.
Illinois Highways Page                                                          http://www.n9jig.com

NE2

Quote from: N9JIG on December 01, 2014, 05:14:05 PM
the AASHTO Numbering Committee newsletter
Can you post this? AASHTO hasn't put anything on their site yet.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Interesting...

It makes sense as a number for the O'Hare Western Bypass.  It also means that IL-390 may very well become I-390 in the future when the road is complete.  Given Illinois's history of slapping an I-number on anything freeway if they can get away with it, I see this as a potential serious proposal.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

triplemultiplex

This answers my question about whether or not this will be a toll facility.
http://www.illinoistollway.com/construction-and-planning/projects-by-roadway/elgin-o-hare-western-access

And there it is on this crude map.

The number is agreeable to me.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

N9JIG

I wonder if they are using IL-390 (on the EOE) as a placeholder until it gets extended west of Elgin. If I were the god of route numbering I would reroute I-290 west on the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway (soon to be tollway) when/if it gets extended to I-90 west of Elgin, and extend I-355 north to cover IL-53 north of I-90 to Lake Cook Road and the Lake County Parkway, (the non-Interstate portion north of Lake Cook Road) would get IL-355.
Illinois Highways Page                                                          http://www.n9jig.com

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: N9JIG on December 01, 2014, 07:47:22 PM
I wonder if they are using IL-390 (on the EOE) as a placeholder until it gets extended west of Elgin. If I were the god of route numbering I would reroute I-290 west on the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway (soon to be tollway) when/if it gets extended to I-90 west of Elgin, and extend I-355 north to cover IL-53 north of I-90 to Lake Cook Road and the Lake County Parkway, (the non-Interstate portion north of Lake Cook Road) would get IL-355.

I-355 all the way down to Il-120 bypass or maybe even us-12 freeway.

N9JIG

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on December 02, 2014, 12:02:45 AM
Quote from: N9JIG on December 01, 2014, 07:47:22 PM

I-355 all the way down to Il-120 bypass or maybe even us-12 freeway.

If the Lake County section were to be an Interstate standard roadway this would work but current plans are for a 45 MPH parkway with overpasses instead. so IL-355 would have to suffice there.

Henry

Enough talk about IL (or I-) 390; let's get back to the subject at hand.

This I-490 proposal certainly is new to me, as I have no prior knowledge of it. Is there a map of the route available?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: Henry on December 02, 2014, 11:30:13 AM
Enough talk about IL (or I-) 390; let's get back to the subject at hand.

This I-490 proposal certainly is new to me, as I have no prior knowledge of it. Is there a map of the route available?

It's the western bypass of O'Hare on the map above.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Molandfreak

Hey, looks like this might be Illinois' first even 3dI that doesn't connect to it's parent twice. Can we finally end I-88 IN CHICAGO now?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 18, 2014, 11:42:55 PM
Hey, looks like this might be Illinois' first even 3dI that doesn't connect to it's parent twice.
I-255.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

Quote from: NE2 on December 18, 2014, 11:49:43 PM
Hey, looks like this might be Illinois' first even 3dI that doesn't connect to it's parent twice.
I-255.
"Connects" twice, goes beyond the parent once...
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

adt1982

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 18, 2014, 11:52:57 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 18, 2014, 11:49:43 PM
I-255.
"Connects" twice, goes beyond the parent once...

Right. It only connects once in IL.  The other connection is in MO.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.