Annoying driver behavior NOT caused by incompetence

Started by CtrlAltDel, August 24, 2019, 05:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

There have been a number of threads recently offering criticism of other drivers, so I figured I'd continue, but on a different tack: What are some of the things that other drivers do that annoy you but that aren't the result of incompetence, illegality, discourtesy, and the like?

For me, it would have to be when the driver in front of me on the freeway takes the same exit I do. I'm not sure why, but it drives me nuts. It takes a lot of effort to remind myself that the other driver has full right to be where they are and to go where they want to go.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

sprjus4

People who micro-pass doing the speed limit or under.

Beltway

People who pace me in the lane next to me on a multi-lane highway, when the road is well below capacity.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on August 24, 2019, 06:56:33 PM
People who pace me in the lane next to me on a multi-lane highway, when the road is well below capacity.

I second this one, it drives me up the wall when people don't pass fast enough or speed up when you try to pass them. 

kphoger

People who alternate between driving faster than me and slower than me on a long-distance drive.  This is especially annoying at night, because I keep wanting to get ahead of their headlights, thinking I've done it, and then later being disappointed that I haven't.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

milbfan

Let's say the speed limit is 70mph.  There's a cop/trooper out, cruising at around 55-60.  No one is willing to pass the trooper even though they'd still be under the speed limit.  Traffic, then, gets clogged up.

GaryV

Drivers on a 2-lane highway who, when you get to a 4-lane passing zone, speed up so I can't pass them.  Then slow back down when it goes back to 2 lanes.

Drivers who switch from the left to the empty right lane in front of me as the approach a red light, thus preventing me from turning right on red.

MNHighwayMan

Some of the things listed so far are things I would consider to be caused by incompetence...

SectorZ

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 25, 2019, 07:07:10 AM
Some of the things listed so far are things I would consider to be caused by incompetence...

I'd argue everything noted so far is incompetence.

ozarkman417

Drivers cutting across three to four lanes of traffic to get to their exit, cutting plenty of people off while their at it.

wanderer2575

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 25, 2019, 11:34:53 AM
Drivers cutting across three to four lanes of traffic to get to their exit, cutting plenty of people off while their at it.

I see this all the time with the left exits at the I-94/M-10 interchange in Detroit, with motorists entering the freeway illegally cutting across three lanes of traffic to access the left exit.  With the publicized efforts to enforce the urban speed limit, I wish the police would devote a little effort enforcing the prohibition against this.

TEG24601

Quote from: GaryV on August 25, 2019, 07:00:54 AM
Drivers on a 2-lane highway who, when you get to a 4-lane passing zone, speed up so I can't pass them.  Then slow back down when it goes back to 2 lanes.

Drivers who switch from the left to the empty right lane in front of me as the approach a red light, thus preventing me from turning right on red.

We have a similar annoying thing happen on my island.  The road is 2-lane, speed limit is 45-55.  There are some people who drive 35 MPH whenever it is a no passing zone, and then speed to 60 when it is a passing zone.  They don't want people here and are trying to piss others off.  Almost makes me want to invent either a transporter or Portal™ Gun so I can get them off the road.

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 25, 2019, 12:33:16 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 25, 2019, 11:34:53 AMDrivers cutting across three to four lanes of traffic to get to their exit, cutting plenty of people off while their at it.
I see this all the time with the left exits at the I-94/M-10 interchange in Detroit, with motorists entering the freeway illegally cutting across three lanes of traffic to access the left exit.  With the publicized efforts to enforce the urban speed limit, I wish the police would devote a little effort enforcing the prohibition against this.

With the opposite happening in Seattle between SR 520 and Mercer Street.  They call it the Mercer crawl, but they really should just prevent people from crossing 5 lanes of traffic in 1/2 mile, and have people use alternate routes.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

J N Winkler

Often I "time" stoplights by slowing down as I approach them so I can keep rolling through the intersection as the light turns green.  I've come to realize I don't actually like to be behind anyone else who is also doing this, because the reduction in speed makes it harder for me to maintain my space cushion.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Beltway

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 25, 2019, 11:34:53 AM

I would call that not only incompetence, but also reckless driving as in warranting a summons for a reckless driving charge.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

I actually think that behavior accords with natural tendencies.  With more lanes, a driver tends to feel safer driving at faster speeds.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on August 25, 2019, 04:11:59 PM

I actually think that behavior accords with natural tendencies.  With more lanes, a driver tends to feel safer driving at faster speeds.

I know that's why it happens.  But as the thread title says, it's annoying.

silverback1065

Making a left turn from the right lane in a roundabout

webny99

Quote from: GaryV on August 25, 2019, 05:28:14 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 25, 2019, 04:11:59 PM

I know that's why it happens.  But as the thread title says, it's annoying.

I tend to associate four-lane roads (particularly non-divided) with urbanized areas and towns. Probably because in upstate NY, there are zero such roads in rural areas, so I cannot say whether I'd go faster with four lanes as compared to a two-lane road.

I think it is common courtesy to maintain at least the speed limit on two lane roads. If a line is developing behind you and there are limited passing opportunities, either speed up, or move to the shoulder to let others pass. Some people don't understand this, and they speed up and slow down not based on how safe they feel, but because they are control freaks, want to stay in front of the pack, want to force others to abide by the speed limit, etc.

Flint1979

People that purposely drive slow. Like today I was on M-53 a little south of Bad Axe and I'm doing abo it 62 mph or so. I come up to a truck that is behind a car driving about 50 mph. We got a passing lane, both the truck and I moved into the right lane and passed the 50 mph car while the 50 mph car stays in the left lane the entire time the passing lane was present ignoring signs that say "Keep right except to pass" so the truck and I had to use the right lane to pass this idiot.

texaskdog

People who don't use turn signals.  People who drive over speed bumps at 2 MPH. 

lstone19

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 25, 2019, 10:38:59 PM
People that purposely drive slow. Like today I was on M-53 a little south of Bad Axe and I'm doing abo it 62 mph or so. I come up to a truck that is behind a car driving about 50 mph. We got a passing lane, both the truck and I moved into the right lane and passed the 50 mph car while the 50 mph car stays in the left lane the entire time the passing lane was present ignoring signs that say "Keep right except to pass" so the truck and I had to use the right lane to pass this idiot.

And the opposite, people who pass you on the right when there's an empty lane to your left. Typically happens when I'm at an interchange so I've moved to the second lane from the right to leave room for entering traffic and then someone comes charging up behind me and passes on the right even though there's one or two empty lanes on my left.

Mark68

When I'm driving on a freeway/highway, and leaving a safe distance between myself and the car in front of me, and then someone takes that as a cue to change lanes in front of me.

Also, people who change lanes in front of me, then go slower than the rate of speed that I was driving.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

TEG24601

Quote from: texaskdog on August 25, 2019, 11:09:15 PM
People who don't use turn signals.  People who drive over speed bumps at 2 MPH.

Especially those who don't use signals to enter or exit a roundabout.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

webny99

Quote from: SectorZ on August 25, 2019, 11:21:58 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 25, 2019, 07:07:10 AM
I'd argue everything noted so far is incompetence.

Incompetence: inability to do something successfully.

So, it really depends not on how you define not incompetence, but success. Generally, if you are getting from one point to another without incident, I would argue you are competent. If you are actively disrupting and/or frustrating other drivers, then we may be getting into incompetence territory.
Thus, if you regard driving it as a mere action verb, there is not really a lot of total incompetence to speak of. If you regard it as a skill, i.e., a noun, meaning you have to be actually good at it, heck yes, there are plenty of incompetent drivers out there, but they're not necessarily out there claiming lives or causing significant systemic disruption.

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 25, 2019, 01:55:36 PM
Often I "time" stoplights by slowing down as I approach them so I can keep rolling through the intersection as the light turns green.  I've come to realize I don't actually like to be behind anyone else who is also doing this, because the reduction in speed makes it harder for me to maintain my space cushion.

I do that too, but I can't say I've ever noticed having to slow down for other people doing it.

Quote from: texaskdog on August 25, 2019, 11:09:15 PM
People who drive over speed bumps at 2 MPH.

I would extend that to: people who brake for speed bumps, period. It is completely unnecessary to use the brakes, at all, ever, for a speed bump.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.