News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

District of Columbia

Started by Alex, April 07, 2009, 01:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

The District has an effort underway to clean up erroneous and confusing signs and they're asking people to tweet them in using hashtag #GoodSignDC through April 15. I've sent in the two below but will refrain from sending in some of our remaining favorites like the I-95 sign under the L'Enfant Promenade.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

Major changes to K Street downtown coming:

https://wtop.com/dc/2019/04/dcs-mayor-wants-big-changes-on-k-street/slide/1/

QuoteThe biggest change would be the creation of a dedicated bus way in the middle of the road. Taking the two existing far left lanes right down the middle, the bus lanes would allow buses to move down K Street between 12th and Washington Circle without the constraints the current turn lanes impose.

jakeroot

Seems like a solid plan. If it proves popular, they might even make the case for an extension of the streetcar! The current layout of K Street continues to confuse me. I'm sure I've made more than a few illegal turns in my time. Something to simplify things would be nice.

Knowing DC drivers, my two questions are as follows:

1) how will they stop drivers from driving down the busway?
2) how will they stop drivers from turning left against a red arrow? Assuming the buses go with through traffic.

roadman65

How about reinstalling US route trailblazers so people know where the three US routes run.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on May 18, 2019, 12:23:27 PM
How about reinstalling US route trailblazers so people know where the three US routes run.
Not always sure even DC knows where they run!

1995hoo

Quote from: Alps on May 18, 2019, 05:21:49 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 18, 2019, 12:23:27 PM
Not always sure even DC knows where they run!

They probably don't:

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 29, 2016, 01:48:16 PM
Northbound on New Hampshire Avenue NW in DC between 20 Street and Dupont Circle. This isn't on Street View yet. Picture taken this afternoon.

froggie

29 is properly signed (and newer signs than what Hoo just posted).  Though signs for the southbound turn from 7th to Rhode Island can be confusing due to the proximity of R Street.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on May 18, 2019, 06:00:52 PM
29 is properly signed (and newer signs than what Hoo just posted).  Though signs for the southbound turn from 7th to Rhode Island can be confusing due to the proximity of R Street.
The sign denying the left turn from eastbound Rhode Island to northbound 7th Street, N.W. has disappeared for some reason.

There's no signage at all on eastbound Rhode Island Avenue, N.W. telling drivers when to make a left to follow U.S. 29  north toward Maryland.  When the left from Rhode Island eastbound to northbound 7th was denied by sign, then I presume the intent was to make a left onto 6th Street, N.W. to another left to Florida Avenue, N.W. westbound to a right onto 7th Street N.W.  (but I doubt that this part of Florida Avenue has capacity for such traffic).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jakeroot

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 17, 2019, 11:25:38 PM
There's no signage at all on eastbound Rhode Island Avenue, N.W. telling drivers when to make a left to follow U.S. 29  north toward Maryland.  When the left from Rhode Island eastbound to northbound 7th was denied by sign, then I presume the intent was to make a left onto 6th Street, N.W. to another left to Florida Avenue, N.W. westbound to a right onto 7th Street N.W.  (but I doubt that this part of Florida Avenue has capacity for such traffic).

Has this sign been removed (just a block away at 6 St NW)? It does say to turn left at 6 St, and there is another sign at Florida Ave telling drivers to turn left, again. Annoyingly, there is no final sign when you get back to 7 St.

froggie

^ That's a relatively newer sign, too, on eastbound R.I. at 6th.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jakeroot on July 18, 2019, 02:35:39 AM

Has this sign been removed (just a block away at 6 St NW)? It does say to turn left at 6 St, and there is another sign at Florida Ave telling drivers to turn left, again. Annoyingly, there is no final sign when you get back to 7 St.

I did not look for those but will the next time I am by there. 

There is a similar (in appearance and vintage) sign on westbound Rhode Island Avenue, N.W. at 11th Street telling drivers that want to follow U.S. 29 south to make a left there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

epzik8

What do you guys know about the DC-295 Anacostia Freeway?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Alps

Quote from: epzik8 on July 19, 2019, 05:50:32 PM
It's a road. What's the question?

roadman65

Quote from: jakeroot on July 18, 2019, 02:35:39 AM

Odd that US 29 has even a shield there.  US 1 has hardly any left and none at that particular intersection being US 1 replaces US 29 after it turns there.

Sheryl Crowe

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: epzik8 on July 19, 2019, 05:50:32 PM

An odd question.

It's a stretch of a freeway between Anacostia and NY Ave. South of Anacostia, the freeway is I-295, north of NY Ave, it's the BW Parkway.

If you travel from Oxon Hill to Baltimore, you travel on all three "routes" (I-295, DC-295, and BW Parkway) without exiting once.

AlexandriaVA

Speaking of 295, I guess the provisional 40 MPH speed limit is throwing people off: https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2019/07/drivers-still-taken-aback-by-lower-speed-limit-on-i-295/

Slated to be 40 MPH through 2021. Is that a record low for a signed Interstate speed limit?

Ironically, I doubt if I ever get above 40 MPH even in the absence of construction zones. That's a tough road to drive.

froggie

^ No, there are occasional lower limits.  For example, I-264 in Norfolk through the Downtown Tunnel and across the Berkeley Bridge is 35 MPH.

roadman65

I-295 in Bellmawr, NJ had a 35 mph for the longest time approaching NJ 42- I-76.  That was not even an advisory speed either it was posted right after the SB roadway exits itself to loop around to cross under the dangerously dark long underpass under the ultra wide N-S Freeway.

The new construction project there should eliminate that one whenever they get it done.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

40 mph is not unprecedented for interstates.  I'm pretty sure I-395 and I-695 in DC were already there (with 35 on part of I-395).  I-490 through downtown Rochester is also 40.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on July 20, 2019, 12:41:17 PM
40 mph is not unprecedented for interstates.  I'm pretty sure I-395 and I-695 in DC were already there (with 35 on part of I-395).  I-490 through downtown Rochester is also 40.

There's definitely a 35-mph segment on I-395 northbound heading down to the Third Street Tunnel. I-695 is mostly posted at 45 now, BTW. Either Mayor Gray or Mayor Bowser ordered it increased to 45. Some members of the DC Council weren't happy about that.

I think, but I'm not positive, there either is or used to be a 40-mph section of I-68 through Cumberland.

famartin

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 20, 2019, 05:56:10 PM

There's definitely a 35-mph segment on I-395 northbound heading down to the Third Street Tunnel. I-695 is mostly posted at 45 now, BTW. Either Mayor Gray or Mayor Bowser ordered it increased to 45. Some members of the DC Council weren't happy about that.

I think, but I'm not positive, there either is or used to be a 40-mph section of I-68 through Cumberland.
Yes, the section through Cumberland is 40. As it needs to be given the poor design.

Beltway

There's definitely a 35-mph segment on I-395 northbound heading down to the Third Street Tunnel.

That would be the ramps between the Southwest/Southeast Freeway and Center Leg Freeway.

Granted it carries I-395 thru the interchange, and originally carried I-95, but those are technically ramps and not mainline.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: Beltway on July 20, 2019, 10:14:02 PM
There's definitely a 35-mph segment on I-395 northbound heading down to the Third Street Tunnel.

That would be the ramps between the Southwest/Southeast Freeway and Center Leg Freeway.

Granted it carries I-395 thru the interchange, and originally carried I-95, but those are technically ramps and not mainline.
It was 35 through the tunnel too when I last drove on it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Work zone speed limit, assuming you've driven it in the past 2 years.  It's normally 45 through the 3rd Street Tunnel.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2019, 08:18:39 AM
Work zone speed limit, assuming you've driven it in the past 2 years.  It's normally 45 through the 3rd Street Tunnel.

Even then, it is not a thru highway, but ends less than a mile north of there.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.