News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Northwest / Re: Washington
Last post by jakeroot - Today at 08:59:55 PM
Quote from: kkt on Today at 08:48:09 PMYou're gonna die if you go that way?

[Mukilteo Ferry] Terminal Way.

There are quite a few other "Terminal Way" designations in other parts of the country, chiefly near airports or other cargo-handling places.
Sports / Re: General WNBA thread
Last post by bing101 - Today at 08:51:57 PM
https://apnews.com/article/candace-parker-retires-wnba-6b28339cc1e21731760e6c0c1902d1b9   

Candace Parker, a 3-time WNBA champion and 2-time Olympic gold medalist, announces retirement
Last post by kkt - Today at 08:48:09 PM
You're gonna die if you go that way?
Traffic Control / Re: 1-2-3 Route number Additio...
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 08:26:45 PM
1468 = I-759 + US 431 + US 278 by paulthemapguy

AL-I-59X182N by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Canada / Re: Quebec's Highways
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 08:12:19 PM
Quote from: vdeane on Today at 03:30:35 PMQC 175 between Québec and Saguenay
That's basically a freeway anyways. It has at-grade intersections, but to be fair, so does A-955, which is also posted at 100.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Indiana Notes
Last post by tdindy88 - Today at 06:24:57 PM
Yeah, wasn't this done like not too long ago, maybe not from I-70 northwards but the entire southeastern quadrant? What exactly needs to be done on that stretch, the concrete doesn't seem that bad along that stretch of roadway. But who knows, maybe a highway that's just had a year's worth of stuff done with the new speed limit signs and ramp metering needs even more work done on it.

Also, is the concrete section from US 31 to the White River in that bad of shape to require work done on it too?
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by SEWIGuy - Today at 06:04:06 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on Today at 05:08:47 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on Today at 04:33:33 PMBut it is not required that returned merchandise be returned for cash. (It's almost always in-store credit - which is basically a gift card.) So I have no idea why gift cards should be. I mean these are gifts.

That has not been my experience.  On the few occasions I have returned things for a refund, I have typically received a chargeback on the card I used to pay.  I can't remember the last time I was asked to settle for in-store credit or a voucher that I could spend only at the business concerned.

If YOU purchased yes. But if you are given a gift with a gift receipt, it's almost always returned only for in store credit.
Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 24, 2024, 04:24:27 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2024, 10:11:47 PMState maintained =/= state route.

Wat.

It's state-maintained and it's a route. It's a state route.  It may not be a State Route, but it's a state route. The adjective "state" and the noun "route" are both correct.

IDOT maintains plenty of roads that are not signed routes. Besides signed numerical designations, there is a separate internal set of numerical designations for various roads across Illinois, state-maintained and otherwise (shown as "FAP", "FAU", etc.). But I don't think that's even what appears at the top of these mile markers.  The process of deciding these numbers for the top of these mile markers has always been a mystery to me. Such numbers are usually in the 8000s or 900s (though 316 is an oddball).

Bill Burmaster's (rmsandw) site has covered a plethora of these unsigned state highways: https://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/misc/il900.html

And these are just the ones IDOT marks in the wild.  District 1 has a number of unmarked state routes that lack any sort of signage whatsoever to denote them as state routes, including the circular postmiles.  The spur of the IL-53 freeway between Dundee Road and Lake-Cook Road comes to mind as just one example.
Last post by jakeroot - Today at 05:39:54 PM
Likewise, I don't think of a 40 mph arterial with three hundred traffic lights as a "speedway".

Something brand new would be way cooler. Maybe "Terminal Way".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.