News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pallet Fire Under I-10 Causes Indefinite Closure

Started by brad2971, November 11, 2023, 06:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad2971

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/10-freeway-shut-down-in-downtown-la-due-to-storage-yard-fire/3266281/

Judging by some of the videos out there, there appears to be some significant spalling on the overpass. Even with available downtown LA detours, this could take a little bit of time to get fixed.

The Ghostbuster

My mother showed me an online story about this. I responded by showing her a Street View image of the burned location before it went up in flames. How does this compare to the damage the Interstate 10 freeway took from the earthquake in 1994?

rschen7754

Max Rockatansky

Amusingly almost nobody on the Quick Map is using Olympic and an alternate.

J N Winkler

StreetView of the storage yard that caught fire

My money would be on an extended closure since, if the fire burned hot enough to melt steel guardrail, it probably also cooked tensioning cables within the viaduct.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

rschen7754

ClassicHasClass

Looks like a nightmare already. I've got some friends on the westside who are freaked out about the commute.

Max Rockatansky

Hit the surface streets.  Not a great option sure, but better than sitting in the inevitable freeway apocalypse.

mrsman

It's going to be pretty tricky.  This section of the 10 is just west of the East LA interchange, so all of those other freeways will be significantly affected. 

If the closure is expected to last for more than a few weeks, Caltrans should restripe some of the freeways so that fewer lanes will be directed to the Santa Monica Fwy. 

All on-ramps to the EB I-10 should be closed from the I-110 freeway to Alameda Street.  This will allow for the more orderly exit onto surface streets at the Alameda closure.

On the NB I-5 Santa Ana, the five lanes currently direct traffic as follows: #1 to 101, #2 to 101/5, #3 to 5, #4 to 10, #5 to 10.  This can be restriped to have #1 to 101, #2 to 101, #3 to 5, #4 to 5, and #5 to forced exit at Grande Vista.

On the WB CA-60, the five lanes currently:  #1 to 10, #2 to 10, #3 to 10/101, #4 to 101, #5 to Soto/5.  This can be restriped to have #1 to 101, #2 to 101, #3 to Soto, #4 to 5, #5 to forced exit at Lorena.

On the SB I-5 Golden State, the five lanes currently: #1 to 60, #2 to 5, #3 to 5/10, #4 to 10, #5 to 10.  This can be restriped to have #1 to 60, #2 to 5, #3 to 5, #4 to merge into the #3 lane, #5 is a forced exit to 4th street.  The 4th street SB on-ramp to Golden State Fwy should be closed.

Even with the mitigation, it will be a big mess.

kernals12

One benefit of this: the traffic chaos that will result will remind people of the benefits of freeways.

Plutonic Panda

I really hope they're isn't going to be some push to just tear it down because cars bad. I know it's unlikely but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me.

J N Winkler

Google tells me that when the Santa Monica Freeway viaduct collapsed at La Cienega Boulevard in the 1994 Northridge earthquake, Caltrans was able to reopen it in 66 days despite an initially projected four-month construction period.  When a tanker truck fire took down a connector in the MacArthur Maze in 2007, Caltrans had an emergency contract for its replacement out to bid within a few days, with steep incentives for rapid completion.

Based on this experience, I would expect Caltrans to have a contract out for total replacement of the I-10 viaduct within a week if it determines that the existing structure has lost its integrity.  I also would not expect phased construction similar to I-95 in Philadelphia, as that would delay the restoration of full capacity.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 13, 2023, 12:42:31 AM
I really hope they're isn't going to be some push to just tear it down because cars bad. I know it's unlikely but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me.

Does the anti-car lobby really have much of a voice in LA? At this point, it feels like a fringe element in most places.

kernals12

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 13, 2023, 02:13:07 AM

Does the anti-car lobby really have much of a voice in LA? At this point, it feels like a fringe element in most places.

Let's see: they stopped the closure of the 710 gap, they stopped the widening of the 710, they blocked the High Desert Corridor, and they got Laura Friedman, a self proclaimed fan of Donald Shoup, in the legislature.

But no, they are not going to permanently close the 10. 300,000 vehicles use it a day and even if LA wanted to, they'd have to contend with Caltrans and the FHWA.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on November 13, 2023, 07:26:54 AM

Let's see: they stopped the closure of the 710 gap, they stopped the widening of the 710, they blocked the High Desert Corridor, and they got Laura Friedman, a self proclaimed fan of Donald Shoup, in the legislature.

But no, they are not going to permanently close the 10. 300,000 vehicles use it a day and even if LA wanted to, they'd have to contend with Caltrans and the FHWA.

What does the 710 gap and High Desert Corridor have to do with a pallet fire under I-10 in downtown?  Has Laura Friedman spoke out about removing I-10 or was your statement just hyperbole?

ZLoth

I have a funny feeling that the remedial plan won't involve dumping some filler material and putting a roadway on top like they did with I-95 in Philadelphia.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2023, 07:49:04 AM

What does the 710 gap and High Desert Corridor have to do with a pallet fire under I-10 in downtown?  Has Laura Friedman spoke out about removing I-10 or was your statement just hyperbole?

Maybe read the comment I was replying to.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on November 13, 2023, 08:34:03 AM

I did, I even read your initial comment which had little to do with the pallet fort.  You coming here to bitch about off topic road projects, transit fans and  political figures wasn't lost on me.  There is several 710 and High Desert Corridor threads you could whine in instead.

The Governor declared a state of emergency regarding I-10.  That alone should take care your concern with a particular transit oriented local representatives. 

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2023, 10:13:03 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on November 13, 2023, 08:34:03 AM

I did, I even read your initial comment which had little to do with the pallet fort.  You coming here to bitch about off topic road projects, transit fans and  political figures wasn't lost on me.  There is several 710 and High Desert Corridor threads you could whine in instead.

The Governor declared a state of emergency regarding I-10.  That alone should take care your concern with a particular transit oriented local representatives.

I think that's evidence the anti-car lobby has some influence in SoCal

mrsman

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 13, 2023, 01:15:34 AM
Google tells me that when the Santa Monica Freeway viaduct collapsed at La Cienega Boulevard in the 1994 Northridge earthquake, Caltrans was able to reopen it in 66 days despite an initially projected four-month construction period.  When a tanker truck fire took down a connector in the MacArthur Maze in 2007, Caltrans had an emergency contract for its replacement out to bid within a few days, with steep incentives for rapid completion.

Based on this experience, I would expect Caltrans to have a contract out for total replacement of the I-10 viaduct within a week if it determines that the existing structure has lost its integrity.  I also would not expect phased construction similar to I-95 in Philadelphia, as that would delay the restoration of full capacity.

I was living in LA at the time of the 1994 earthquake.  The 10 closure had a dramatic effect on traffic on many of the side streets in the area and there was some very careful rerouting done in order to reduce the impacts.

The bridge over Fairfax collapsed, not La Ciengega.

I don't recall all of the details, but basically, only carpools were allowed to stay on the freeway to the last exits before the closure and then use the closest on ramp and general traffic had to do a wider circle.  So this meant that WB, traffic had to get off at la brea and then take venice to the 10 west on ramp, while carpoolers could just get off at the Washington ramp, continue on Electric to the other on-ramp after Fairfax.  (EB was more convoluted and I don't remember all the details.)  There were a lot of closures of side streets, turning restrictions, and parking restrictions in order to favor the east-west traffic of the freeway that had to use small city street bypasses to close the gap.

It doesnt seem as if they are going to encourage a surface street bypass, so probably no additional closures other that what is necessary for the repairs.

mgk920

First, WHY did the City of Los Angeles even allow that land use there ? ? ?  Second the LAFD (City of Los Angeles Fire Department) did a significant number of 'homeless' rescues and evacuations at that scene (think of that as you may). Third, I am expecting Caltrans to 'blitz' rebuild that section of freeway like they did when CA 118 went down in the Northridge earthquake, IIRC the main contractor there and then even hired a railroad company to move material in for that one).  Right now, I believe that it will be fully back open by February, 2024.

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on November 13, 2023, 12:36:09 PM
First, WHY did the City of Los Angeles even allow that land use there ? ? ?

That was definitely my first thought.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheStranger

Was in LA over the weekend and felt the effects of the I-10 closure on both Saturday and Sunday:

Saturday: did a drive from Artesia to Griffith Park, then later on from West Hollywood back to Hawaiian Gardens.

On the way up, the normal logical route would have been 605 to 5.

Ended up doing:
605 to 105 to Imperial to Garfield to 710 to 5 (thus putting us right in the start of the massive backup at the East LA Interchange), then 101 to Vermont to get to Griffith Park.

Then on the way home, did 101 to 110, dealt with some midnight congestion in the downtown section of the Harbor Freeway, then was able to use the express lanes to 105, then 605.

The next day, en route back to SF, we hit up Porto's in Downey and the Bumsan ice cream shop in Koreatown.  From Downey to Koreatown...

Normally would have taken 710-5-10-Western or 605-5-10-Western
Instead: 710-10 (with congestion severe at the 710/10 junction) - 101 (via San Bernardino Split) - Beverly Boulevard to eventually connect to Western
Chris Sampang

bwana39

My question is ,  was the stuff UNDER the bridge permitted use or a homeless encampment?  The pallets immediately adjacent were a problem, but???

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kphoger

Quote from: bwana39 on November 13, 2023, 03:26:24 PM
My question is ,  was the stuff UNDER the bridge permitted use or a homeless encampment?  The pallets immediately adjacent were a problem, but???

"WE BUY PALLETS"
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.