News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Upcoming Road-trip; I-75/I-74/I-65, anything I need to know?

Started by 404inthe404, August 26, 2013, 07:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

404inthe404

I'm going to be doing a lot of driving this Labor day weekend, from Atlanta to Chicago and back.

I am wondering if there are any construction delays that I should be expecting, or, even more valuable, if there is any significant back-ups that I should be aware of that are typical of a holiday weekend drive.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday:

Atlanta to Cincinnati (I-75)
Cincinnati to Indianapolis (I-74)
Indianapolis to Chicago Metro (I-65)

Monday:

Chicago Metro to Birmingham (I-65)
Birmingham to Altanta (I-20)

I leave at 6 AM on Saturday and generally drive speed limit plus and take only minimal restroom and lunch breaks. I imagine most 75 traffic will be going south to Atlanta and beyond (Florida) so I think I should be good on that.

Brandon

Use I-465 east and north of Indianapolis from I-74 to get to I-65.

I-65 is supposed to be shut down in downtown Indianapolis so InDOT can increase the clearance of some bridges.  If closed, follow I-465 west and south of the city.  I don't remember when InDOT will be shutting down I-65.

Chicago traffic can be congested at almost any time of day or night.  It really depends on how far you go into Chicagoland as to how much congestion you might encounter.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

At this time, I know of no major issues along I-75 in Kentucky. You may wish to take I-275 around the southwest corner of Cincinnati to hit I-74 and avoid downtown, which can be very congested depending on when you come through.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

404inthe404

Quote from: Brandon on August 27, 2013, 09:49:58 AM
Use I-465 east and north of Indianapolis from I-74 to get to I-65.

I-65 is supposed to be shut down in downtown Indianapolis so InDOT can increase the clearance of some bridges.  If closed, follow I-465 west and south of the city.  I don't remember when InDOT will be shutting down I-65.

Chicago traffic can be congested at almost any time of day or night.  It really depends on how far you go into Chicagoland as to how much congestion you might encounter.

That would really stink if I-65 is shut down! I was looking forward to clinching it and getting it off of my lists of Interstates to-do.

tdindy88

If you want to clinch I-65 thorugh Indianapolis do it on Saturday. The highway will be closed starting on Tuesday next week but there may be some prepping work going on Monday so the 465 bypass idea may be better, it just depends on when you're going through. As far as I know the highway should still be open on Monday too, but after Monday night all bets are off.

404inthe404

I forgot to ask - am I going to be able to pay all applicable tolls with cash?

Also how much should I expect to pay in tolls if I'm going all the way to the loop? More or less than $10 is sufficient info for me to plan.

Thanks.

Brandon

Quote from: 404inthe404 on August 29, 2013, 07:14:02 PM
I forgot to ask - am I going to be able to pay all applicable tolls with cash?

Also how much should I expect to pay in tolls if I'm going all the way to the loop? More or less than $10 is sufficient info for me to plan.

Thanks.

Yes, you can pay all Illinois State Toll Highway Authority tolls in cash in Illinois if you use any of the tollways in the suburbs.  The cash toll rate is usually posted prominently prior to the toll plaza and at their website: http://www.illinoistollway.com.  If you miss the toll, just pay within 7 days via the website.

You can also pay the Chicago Skyway toll in cash as well as the Indiana East-West Toll Road tolls.  The Skyway toll is $4.  You may want more than $10 in cash.

If you stay close to the Loop, within the Tri-State Tollway, you should never even encounter a toll plaza.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jdb1234

I-20 is basically under construction from Birmingham all the way to the Georgia line.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.