News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Logo signs thread

Started by TravelingBethelite, August 07, 2015, 08:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

E.G. the gas, food, lodging, etc. signs. As a question to prompt discussion, do the hotels/gas stations/restaurants featured on the signs have to pay to be featured, or are the DOT's obligated to put them on the signs? How often do they update them? (Sometimes one still sees, for example the old Super 8 logo, old logos. How I miss that sign...  :-( )
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

roadman

MassDOT policy is that each business listed on a LOGO sign pays a $1,200 annual fee for each interchange they are posted at.  Because the inital business that provided the original signs pays the full cost for fabrication and installation of the signs and supports, MassDOT allows a pro-rated waiver of the annual fee until they recoup their costs (i.e., if a sign installation costs $12,000, the inital business can have their annual fee waived for ten years).

Unlike other states that employ outside companies like Interstate Logo to manage theri services signing programs, MassDOT reviews and processes all applications and agreements, and collection of the annual fees, in-house.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pink Jazz

Here in Arizona, for signs in rural areas, pricing is a flat monthly fee ($120/month for mainline freeway signage, $44/month for non-freeway signage, and $18/month for ramp and trailblazer signage). 

For urban areas, the lease is annual with a variable price based on AADT of the interchange (the higher the AADT the higher the lease rate), and includes mainline, ramp, and trailblazer signage.  On a case by case basis, logo sign placement at select interchanges may be determined by a competitive bid if demand is expected to exceed the available sign space.

ADOT's logo sign program has been entirely state operated since 2012, taking over the program from Arizona Logo Sign Group.

catch22

Michigan charges businesses $850 per year for each direction ($1700 to sign both directions of a freeway) plus the cost to make the sign.  MDOT contracts a company called Michigan Logos, Inc. to make and install the signs.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9625-53460--,00.html

peterj920

In Wisconsin, a company called Interstate Logos maintains the business signs.  They are a subsidiary of Lamar Advertising.  They pay $30/month for signs on the freeways and $10/month for signs on off ramps.   

ET21

Illinois loves to put up blue signs but never fill them. Numerous blanks are all over I-80 in random spots
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

TEG24601

In Washington, WSDOT puts them up, but it is up to the business to contact WSDOT, pay a fee, and provide the specs for the sign to be created.  Most of the 90s and 00s, no one knew what to do, so they weren't updated. 
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

roadman

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 07, 2015, 05:21:21 PM
In Washington, WSDOT puts them up, but it is up to the business to contact WSDOT, pay a fee, and provide the specs for the sign to be created.  Most of the 90s and 00s, no one knew what to do, so they weren't updated. 

In Massachusetts, the initial signs are put up by the business (through one of MassDOT's approved sign contractors).  "Add-on" LOGOs for existing signs are provided by the business, but are installed by District forces.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

mariethefoxy

I noticed in New Hampshire they sometimes will put the logo signs at the ramps but not on the highway before you get there, only the little blue pictogram Food, Gas, Lodging, etc. Then you take the exit and the ramp logo signs are there telling you which way to turn at the end of the ramp.

vtk

I notice in Ohio the logo panels are all about a 4:3 aspect ratio, while in Indiana they are wider, more like 3:2 or 5:3.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Pink Jazz

Also, another think I have noticed is how different states use different layouts for logo signs. 

Ever since Arizona started their urban logo sign program, all new installations (even in rural areas) now have exit tabs instead of having the exit number in the body of the sign, even on logo signs with only one service type.  I presume this is to save money on future modifications to existing signs should another service type be added to an existing sign in the future.

Also, on the ramp signs, Arizona only expresses distances in whole numbers, and omits the distance for any business located less than one mile from the interchange.

Also, in New Mexico, on signs with only one service type, the service type is left aligned while the exit number is right aligned, rather than both being centered and separated by a dash like in most states.

WashuOtaku

North Carolina has a brochure here:  https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Signing%20and%20Delineation%20Library/Logo%20Program%20Informational%20Brochure.pdf

In short, it's $300 annual per sign, typically $1200 total for four signs per interchange.

South Carolina, on the other hand, charges by interchange traffic, thus can be from $1000 to $2,500 a year.  Here is their link:  http://www.scdot.org/getting/logoProgram.aspx

Pink Jazz

I have been looking at Interstate Logos' websites for the logo sign programs that it operates in different states, and they claim that 98% of motorists use logo signs while traveling.

I wonder if there is any truth to this statement or if there is any data that they have that backs up their claim.  Online I see a lot of opposition to logo signs by those who think they are unnecessary due to smartphones (even though you shouldn't be searching for nearby services on a smartphone while driving at freeway speeds).

Buffaboy

I would be curious to know the answer to this for NY.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

I've noticed that when Hess switched to Speedway, and when Sovereign changed to Santander, everything switched almost immediately – there are no remaining Sovereign logos, no matter how hard you look. This applies on the buildings themselves, on road signs, and on Google and Apple Maps. However, Exit 46 on I-495 (MA) northbound has "Gas: Gulf (6 AM - 10 PM), Sunoco (24 hours)". The former is an independent station now, and it has been that way for years.

Note to anyone living in the area or active on GasBuddy: This gas station is temporarily closed, but this is not the first time that this has happened.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman

Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 07, 2015, 11:25:02 PM
I noticed in New Hampshire they sometimes will put the logo signs at the ramps but not on the highway before you get there, only the little blue pictogram Food, Gas, Lodging, etc. Then you take the exit and the ramp logo signs are there telling you which way to turn at the end of the ramp.

It is NHDOT policy - see https://www.nh.gov/dot/org/operations/traffic/documents/logo-sign-rules.pdf to not provide LOGO service panels on the mainline in any circumstance - the rationale behind this is apparently to preserve the scenic character of the highways by minimizing the number of signs on the mainline.  As such, only the generic service pictographs are normally provided as part of the advance sign (usually the 1 mile sign) for an exit.  However, in instances where the 1 mile sign is overhead mounted, and spacing allows, the pictographs are provided on a separate blue background sign somewhere within the advance sign sequence.

Ironically, about a year or so ago, NHDOT started installing separate Attractions LOGO signs on highway mainlines.  Have not yet been able to find any written policy regarding these signs - which installation of was apparently the result of Legislative action - but most of the "Attractions" I've seen placed on the background panels (such as State Liquor Stores and Urgent Care facilities) have no cultural, historical, or recreational value.  I'm also half expecting that, now that Attractions LOGO signs are in place, somebody like McDonald's will eventually challenge the prohibition on other mainline service LOGO signs as being an unreasonable restriction (after all, as a necessary 'service', Attractions could be considered the lowest tier in importance to drivers).

roadman

Quote from: ET21 on August 07, 2015, 05:09:44 PM
Illinois loves to put up blue signs but never fill them. Numerous blanks are all over I-80 in random spots
I've noted that as well on my trips through Illinois, and other states as well.  There's a part of me that would love to go out and place "This sign intentionally left blank" on one of these panels.

Pink Jazz

Just some information to share, ADOT actually saw an increase in participation from 2016 to 2017 in their logo sign program, particularly at select urban interchanges where a competitive bid is conducted where potential demand exceeds available capacity, with more businesses competing for a space.  In fact, ADOT has transitioned more exits to the competitive bid model due to increased demand. So much for logo signs becoming obsolete due to smartphones and GPS.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 15, 2017, 01:45:53 PM
Just some information to share, ADOT actually saw an increase in participation from 2016 to 2017 in their logo sign program, particularly at select urban interchanges where a competitive bid is conducted where potential demand exceeds available capacity, with more businesses competing for a space.  So much for logo signs becoming obsolete due to smartphones and GPS.

I've always thought this group overly-believes that everyone uses phones and GPSs.  If I'm going along knowing where I'm heading and I decide I'm hungry, I'm looking at those blue signs for guidance.

theline

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 15, 2017, 01:48:27 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 15, 2017, 01:45:53 PM
Just some information to share, ADOT actually saw an increase in participation from 2016 to 2017 in their logo sign program, particularly at select urban interchanges where a competitive bid is conducted where potential demand exceeds available capacity, with more businesses competing for a space.  So much for logo signs becoming obsolete due to smartphones and GPS.

I've always thought this group overly-believes that everyone uses phones and GPSs.  If I'm going along knowing where I'm heading and I decide I'm hungry, I'm looking at those blue signs for guidance.

I absolutely agree. We've found that the blue signs are generally more efficient than GPS, which often misleads with results that are out of the way and sometimes even behind our current location.

Pink Jazz

Just something interesting from Arizona to share, Grand Canyon State Logo Signs just announced the 2018 bid winners for the Loop 101 and McDowell exit in west Phoenix, and it looks like the surprising top bidder was Main Event Entertainment.  I presume they will be under the Food category, since I don't think they are eligible to be placed under Attractions.

MCRoads

What happens when a business goes bust, but they had some logo signs? The contractor keeps them (just in case). What happens when it's been 2 years since the signs have been used? They sell them for scrap. What happens if you go on a tour of said contractor, and the logo of a now defunct, really good restaurant that you like is just sitting there?

OK OK, this is just a long way of saying I have one... yup. That's what the point of this post is...

To be fair though, getting a tour of the main contractor for... well anything, is really cool. Should've gotten a picture standing in a Big Sandy barrel... that would have been a cool pic!

Edit: so, actually, if you look on WB Kilpatric Tpike just before you go over Pennsylvania Ave, you will se the sign I have. The Poblano Grill sign. That sign in GSV is the one I have!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

roadman

Quote from: MCRoads on May 09, 2018, 12:10:36 AM
What happens when a business goes bust, but they had some logo signs? The contractor keeps them (just in case). What happens when it’s been 2 years since the signs have been used? They sell them for scrap. What happens if you go on a tour of said contractor, and the logo of a now defunct, really good restaurant that you like is just sitting there?

OK OK, this is just a long way of saying I have one... yup. That’s what the point of this post is...

To be fair though, getting a tour of the main contractor for... well anything, is really cool. Should’ve gotten a picture standing in a Big Sandy barrel... that would have been a cool pic!

Edit: so, actually, if you look on WB Kilpatric Tpike just before you go over Pennsylvania Ave, you will se the sign I have. The Poblano Grill sign. That sign in GSV is the one I have!

Usually, the LOGOs of the defunct restaurant are removed and go to scrap (typically DOT forces would remove the LOGOs).  However, there have been cases where the restaurant would request the LOGOs back.

architect77

Quote from: WashuOtaku on August 09, 2015, 07:30:43 AM
North Carolina has a brochure here:  https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Signing%20and%20Delineation%20Library/Logo%20Program%20Informational%20Brochure.pdf

In short, it's $300 annual per sign, typically $1200 total for four signs per interchange.

South Carolina, on the other hand, charges by interchange traffic, thus can be from $1000 to $2,500 a year.  Here is their link:  http://www.scdot.org/getting/logoProgram.aspx

But if you ever pass a sign for a winery that's white with a cluster of grapes, those signs cost over $50,000 believe it or not. That's what NCDOT says it costs for their (high) standards that include concrete footings, sign fabrication,etc.

I couldn't believe it but I read official documents. I'll add a link if I can find it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.