News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mumbai tests traffic signal that resets red light phase when horns honk

Started by wanderer2575, February 05, 2020, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Mumbai police have come up with a new system to punish those who cannot wait at traffic lights in silence:  They installed "the punishing signal," a rigged traffic light system intended to tackle the problem of "reckless honkers"  by resetting the red traffic signal every time the sound of car horns goes above 85 decibels.  For particularly honk-happy drivers, it could mean a very long wait at the lights.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/05/honk-more-wait-more-mumbai-tests-traffic-lights-that-reward-the-patient-driver

I just wonder:  If half the drivers wait patiently and half the drivers lean on their horns, it could trigger the mother of all road rage incidents.  What could possibly go wrong?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

So if I have a green light, I can blow my horn while going thru the intersection just to piss off the cross street?

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 05, 2020, 08:39:56 PM
So if I have a green light, I can blow my horn while going thru the intersection just to piss off the cross street?

I suspect the sensors would be directional.  So that strategy probably wouldn't work.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

kylebnjmnross

This is a deeply flawed idea. If someone isn't paying attention or is maybe even literally asleep, you have to honk or else nobody is going anywhere. You don't have to be a dick about it, but you have to get things moving somehow.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kylebnjmnross on February 06, 2020, 09:47:15 PM
This is a deeply flawed idea. If someone isn't paying attention or is maybe even literally asleep, you have to honk or else nobody is going anywhere. You don't have to be a dick about it, but you have to get things moving somehow.
You can always give the car in front of you a little nudge to the bumper instead of hammering the horn...

kylebnjmnross

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 06, 2020, 09:54:06 PM
You can always give the car in front of you a little nudge to the bumper instead of hammering the horn...
True  :-D

1995hoo

I agree with you, although I'm constantly astonished by how many people DON'T honk, not even a beep of the horn. They just sit there obediently. Maybe they're not paying any attention either. I'll be the fifth person back on line at a light and I'll be the only one who honks. (Then you have the people who get "offended" that you honked. If you moved on green, or even shortly after the green, I wouldn't have honked!)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.