News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on June 29, 2020, 12:04:37 AM
You need to read the entirety of my post. I am considering a hypothetical situation where a traffic light has only one or two cars in a left turn lane, and how, operationally, it would work much better without a green arrow at the beginning. I think it's fair to assume that having three or more cars stacked up in every left turn lane at every single intersection is fairly rare. Besides, the number of cars grows less and less relevant the more gaps become available. Assuming there is no gaps, two cars can turn at the end of every cycle. Thus, activating a left turn for less than three cars is not necessary. If more cars arrive, then a green arrow can activate at the beginning of the next cycle (assuming there is enough remaining vehicles); alternatively, a lagging green arrow could be implemented.

I wouldn't say it's rare to have 3+ cars waiting in all four left turn lanes. Happens quite a bit around rush hour, both at this location and the next two intersections to the west. I agree that a protected phase might be unnecessary for one and maybe even two cars, in which case, just set the green arrow to activate when there's cars further back instead of at the first car.

Also, regarding your assumption that two cars will always go on red: I really wish that was the case, but it seems that only ever happens when I'm the second person in line. If there's two cars in front and a steady stream of cross-traffic with no gaps, two cycles minimum is almost guaranteed. Honestly, it's more common for zero cars to go on red than two. I've seen a single car create backups almost 1/4 mile in length because they sit there for three or four cycles and simply refuse to go on red - not at this location, but another location near a school. Forget about even attempting a left turn near school dismissal time - you're better off going straight or right and figuring out an alternate route to your destination.

The left-facing arrows should make its purpose fairly clear. If they don't go when the through traffic is red, so be it. At least they'll go once the through signal turns green, or until a driver who understands the meaning of a left turn signal beeps at them :-D

Right, but doesn't it defeat the purpose of the FYA if people don't take advantage of the opportunity to go before the straight traffic gets their green?

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on June 29, 2020, 12:09:28 PM
I'm not advocating protected-only - those can be just as frustrating, especially for a standard intersection with speeds usually below 50 mph and no other dangerous features why permissive shouldn't be allowed. I'm a protected/permissive fan, so naturally that's what I'd like to see here.

And I want to make it plain that I'm not advocating for permissive-only phasing. I fully understand both the need for green arrows and, related, fluctuating traffic patterns that may either call or not call for it. But I feel they are needlessly activated when they don't need to be.

But, I am acknowledging (and it has been acknowledged by others as well) that there can sometimes be a capacity decrease with intersections capable of displaying green arrows, as drivers will be, IMO, needlessly cautious and will sometimes wait for the green arrows, disregarding sometimes very large gaps in traffic that they may otherwise slip through without a green arrow. So, in that sense, holding off on any protected phasing can be advisable for not just some, but potentially many circumstances (particularly if a side road is quiet and not called on regularly).

Quote from: webny99 on June 29, 2020, 12:12:11 PM
Also, regarding your assumption that two cars will always go on red: I really wish that was the case, but it seems that only ever happens when I'm the second person in line. If there's two cars in front and a steady stream of cross-traffic with no gaps, two cycles minimum is almost guaranteed. Honestly, it's more common for zero cars to go on red than two. I've seen a single car create backups almost 1/4 mile in length because they sit there for three or four cycles and simply refuse to go on red - not at this location, but another location near a school. Forget about even attempting a left turn near school dismissal time - you're better off going straight or right and figuring out an alternate route to your destination.

I think that's highly unusual. I've never been at a left turn without a green arrow where the driver did not pull forward. I've seen it when there is some form of a green arrow phase, but not when there was only a green orb.

The left-facing arrows should make its purpose fairly clear. If they don't go when the through traffic is red, so be it. At least they'll go once the through signal turns green, or until a driver who understands the meaning of a left turn signal beeps at them :-D

Right, but doesn't it defeat the purpose of the FYA if people don't take advantage of the opportunity to go before the straight traffic gets their green?

Well of course! But that's something your area will have to sort out. I've never experienced driver behavior like that. Apart from something extremely occasional.

doorknob60

Quote from: jakeroot on June 16, 2020, 06:20:35 PM
One thing that makes me less quick to jump on FYAs is that, unlike left turns where there is no left turn arrow at all, traffic seems slightly less apt to pull forward. Even in areas that I deem relatively conservative, drivers will always pull forward to turn on solid green lights where there is no protected phase (how else can you guarantee you'll make it?), but the split more like 75 (forward)/25 (behind the line) at FYAs. There have been more than a few situations where I missed a left turn because the driver in front refused to enter the junction, where I know they would have, had the light not had a green arrow phase. Some drivers fully embrace the concept of "I'll just wait for the green arrow if there's no gap" style of driving that seems to pop-up when I see an FYA installed.

Those people would have some problems in some areas because some FYAs never turn green in their current operation (with possible exceptions for emergency vehicles, not sure). For example, almost every FYA in downtown Boise (there are quite a few) will not give you a green arrow, and some outside of downtown as well, such as at Emerald St and Roosevelt St (an intersection I used to use daily before I started working from home).

ACHD's current policy seems to be putting a dedicated left turn signal (usually FYA if it's a single lane) over every dedicated left turn lane, even if the intersection is not planning on having a protected turn. A "left turn yield on green" setup will usually only be done if the road doesn't have a left turn lane (see Jefferson or Bannock St in downtown Boise for examples). There's older installations out there with turn lanes and just a regular ball signal, but they're disappearing and you won't see that at new installations.

jakeroot

Quote from: doorknob60 on July 01, 2020, 03:27:31 PM
One thing that makes me less quick to jump on FYAs is that, unlike left turns where there is no left turn arrow at all, traffic seems slightly less apt to pull forward. Even in areas that I deem relatively conservative, drivers will always pull forward to turn on solid green lights where there is no protected phase (how else can you guarantee you'll make it?), but the split more like 75 (forward)/25 (behind the line) at FYAs. There have been more than a few situations where I missed a left turn because the driver in front refused to enter the junction, where I know they would have, had the light not had a green arrow phase. Some drivers fully embrace the concept of "I'll just wait for the green arrow if there's no gap" style of driving that seems to pop-up when I see an FYA installed.

Those people would have some problems in some areas because some FYAs never turn green in their current operation (with possible exceptions for emergency vehicles, not sure). For example, almost every FYA in downtown Boise (there are quite a few) will not give you a green arrow, and some outside of downtown as well, such as at Emerald St and Roosevelt St (an intersection I used to use daily before I started working from home).

ACHD's current policy seems to be putting a dedicated left turn signal (usually FYA if it's a single lane) over every dedicated left turn lane, even if the intersection is not planning on having a protected turn. A "left turn yield on green" setup will usually only be done if the road doesn't have a left turn lane (see Jefferson or Bannock St in downtown Boise for examples). There's older installations out there with turn lanes and just a regular ball signal, but they're disappearing and you won't see that at new installations.

I can more than understand the desire to install dedicated left turn signals, especially those capable of displaying a green arrow phase, to minimize additional work that may need doing later on, and maximize flexibility in the future as traffic levels ebb and flow. At those intersections, I think we could hope that drivers would eventually tune into there not being a protected phase, and may be a little less skittish about pulling forward as a result. It just might take some time.

I've been trying to figure out how to sign periods of the day where there may not be a green arrow. Something like this:

"GREEN ARROW DURING PEAK HOURS ONLY"

..so that drivers know during off-peak hours, there may not be a green arrow.

mrsman

From your post, I decided to GSV around Downtown Boise and came across 13th and Bannock:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6201144,-116.2078919,3a,75y,296.92h,86.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0kNyzg7SdeMq2wmefiWqtA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The signage is so interesting to me.  It seems that there are two-way traffic signs up and down 13th.  I understand it may be one of the few two-way streets, but it is odd to me to sign what should be the "normal" condition. 

On top of that, you see "left turn yield on green" for streets without FYA, but no sign accompanying the FYA.  I guess in Boise the FYA is so ingrained that they have to instruct drivers what to do when you don't have one.  This is also weird to me, as I grew up (in 80s and 90s Los Angeles) with the notion that a normal traffic signal does not have a left turn arrow of any kind and that yielding on green is normal.  The yield on green was put up at doghouse singals (if at all) to remind people that they could turn on green with a yield and that they did not need to wait for the green arrow.  (Especially important in CA with very many signals in rural and suburban areas that were protected only left arrows.)  And FYAs needed similar signage because they were relatively new and people did not understand how they operate (and we still have some states that don't allow the FYA).  Here's an example in Pasadena, CA.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1275808,-118.1472417,3a,75y,259.34h,79.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sR-DcEibSX2I0WYxPDeOMQQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I notice from GSVing that the FYAs in Boise are 4 aspect FYAs for the most part.  Are you saying that the green arrow never comes on or only rarely comes on (certain times of day or a large number of people waiting to turn left)?  Some areas have put in place the 3 aspect FYA (RA-YA-FYA) with no room for a green arrow, since no protected turn is even programmed. (Someone recently posted a picture of one in Kansas, with no obvious reason for a 3 aspect FYA other than the fact that they now need a dedicated left turn signal at each left turn lane.  It seemed odd to me.)

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on June 30, 2020, 02:45:42 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 29, 2020, 12:09:28 PM
I'm not advocating protected-only - those can be just as frustrating, especially for a standard intersection with speeds usually below 50 mph and no other dangerous features why permissive shouldn't be allowed. I'm a protected/permissive fan, so naturally that's what I'd like to see here.

And I want to make it plain that I'm not advocating for permissive-only phasing. I fully understand both the need for green arrows and, related, fluctuating traffic patterns that may either call or not call for it. But I feel they are needlessly activated when they don't need to be.

But, I am acknowledging (and it has been acknowledged by others as well) that there can sometimes be a capacity decrease with intersections capable of displaying green arrows, as drivers will be, IMO, needlessly cautious and will sometimes wait for the green arrows, disregarding sometimes very large gaps in traffic that they may otherwise slip through without a green arrow. So, in that sense, holding off on any protected phasing can be advisable for not just some, but potentially many circumstances (particularly if a side road is quiet and not called on regularly).

I think that's highly unusual. I've never been at a left turn without a green arrow where the driver did not pull forward. I've seen it when there is some form of a green arrow phase, but not when there was only a green orb.

Well of course! But that's something your area will have to sort out. I've never experienced driver behavior like that. Apart from something extremely occasional.

Even in MA, people are used to pulling forward for the FYA/Red phase. And we've only had them for maybe 5 years now.
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on July 01, 2020, 06:02:03 PM

I can more than understand the desire to install dedicated left turn signals, especially those capable of displaying a green arrow phase, to minimize additional work that may need doing later on, and maximize flexibility in the future as traffic levels ebb and flow. At those intersections, I think we could hope that drivers would eventually tune into there not being a protected phase, and may be a little less skittish about pulling forward as a result. It just might take some time.

I've been trying to figure out how to sign periods of the day where there may not be a green arrow. Something like this:

"GREEN ARROW Protected Left DURING PEAK HOURS ONLY"
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on July 02, 2020, 07:45:16 AM

I considered this, but I think drivers understand the meaning of the arrows in their own terms; "protected left" may not necessarily mean the same thing to everyone (even if it should).

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on July 02, 2020, 12:28:12 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on July 02, 2020, 07:45:16 AM

I considered this, but I think drivers understand the meaning of the arrows in their own terms; "protected left" may not necessarily mean the same thing to everyone (even if it should).
TXDOT installs "Protected left on green arrow"  signs, so maybe you're right. Seems obv to me though.

iPhone

SignBridge

I agree that the public will understand green arrow better than protected left. Remember the average driver is not a traffic engineer.

stevashe

Quote from: jakeroot on April 09, 2020, 11:58:10 PM
Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 09, 2020, 06:19:56 PM
I've wondered why California would prohibit displaying these signs at intersections with a yellow trap, especially in cases like this (rail preemption). Except for the occasional intersection that has rail or fire preempt, I'm guessing that this sequence is rare as they have a lot of protected-only lefts over in CA...

Ideally, yellow trap should be avoided even with railroad preemption. I don't understand, at your linked examples, why there is a recurring issue with yellow trap. Clearly someone has set something up wrong.

I suspect the signs "shall not be used" because yellow trap (as it may say somewhere else in California's manual) "shall not be used" either. Ergo, no need for the sign. This section operates under the assumption that the sign will not be used because the situation warranting the sign would not arise in California. There clearly was no thought given to the possibility of an engineer not programming an intersection correctly. Although I think an engineer, upon discovering the yellow trap, would instead fix the intersection programming, instead of simply putting up some signs that drivers may or may not notice.

In Clark County, WA, a whole bunch of "extended green" signs were installed about ten years ago, although they've all been removed. Apart from these, I can't readily recall any W25-1/2 signs in Washington State either. I suspect the sign is allowed (I'm thinking there is one somewhere in King County, but I don't recall where), but the situation is not permitted according to WSDOT's signal guidance manual (or whatever it's called); basically, lead/lag green arrows are not permitted with protected-permitted operation.

Late reply, but the only place I've seen one of those signs in Washington is this intersection in Stanwood: https://goo.gl/maps/hzhMwzSarJLMDXxY7

It's even on a state highway!

mrsman

Quote from: stevashe on July 07, 2020, 07:06:17 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 09, 2020, 11:58:10 PM
Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 09, 2020, 06:19:56 PM
I've wondered why California would prohibit displaying these signs at intersections with a yellow trap, especially in cases like this (rail preemption). Except for the occasional intersection that has rail or fire preempt, I'm guessing that this sequence is rare as they have a lot of protected-only lefts over in CA...

Ideally, yellow trap should be avoided even with railroad preemption. I don't understand, at your linked examples, why there is a recurring issue with yellow trap. Clearly someone has set something up wrong.

I suspect the signs "shall not be used" because yellow trap (as it may say somewhere else in California's manual) "shall not be used" either. Ergo, no need for the sign. This section operates under the assumption that the sign will not be used because the situation warranting the sign would not arise in California. There clearly was no thought given to the possibility of an engineer not programming an intersection correctly. Although I think an engineer, upon discovering the yellow trap, would instead fix the intersection programming, instead of simply putting up some signs that drivers may or may not notice.

In Clark County, WA, a whole bunch of "extended green" signs were installed about ten years ago, although they've all been removed. Apart from these, I can't readily recall any W25-1/2 signs in Washington State either. I suspect the sign is allowed (I'm thinking there is one somewhere in King County, but I don't recall where), but the situation is not permitted according to WSDOT's signal guidance manual (or whatever it's called); basically, lead/lag green arrows are not permitted with protected-permitted operation.

Late reply, but the only place I've seen one of those signs in Washington is this intersection in Stanwood: https://goo.gl/maps/hzhMwzSarJLMDXxY7

It's even on a state highway!

It is really surprising to see it in CA as they are really careful to avoid yellow trap generally.  The NB to WB left turn at Broadway/California in Burlingame has to be converted to a FYA to prevent the yellow trap.   The opposing left, which is currently protected only lagging left could be transformed to a protected/permissive lagging left, but it needs to stay lagging to clear the intersection so as not to block the railroad tracks.

It is surprising that 3 out of the four lefts here are protected only.  The most dangerous left (because of the yellow trap) doensn't have the protection.

1995hoo

Lots of new flashing yellow lights being installed in Fairfax County in the past week or so, replacing doghouse signals. Unlike in the City of Alexandria, VDOT is posting the signs telling you to yield when you see them. I haven't made a left at any of the new ones yet because I just haven't driven enough in the past few days, so I don't know whether there have been any problems with confused people just sitting there not knowing what to do.

Two were installed about a mile from my mom's house. I noticed them on my way home from helping her with some electronics issues yesterday, so in an e-mail I asked her if she understood what they mean. She said they became operative on Thursday and she said, "I assume you can make a turn when you feel it's safe.  I don't like them.  Too many drivers will be impatient and start honking."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

fwydriver405

Went to Lowell and Boston yesterday and saw some 3-section FYA's around the area:

Lowell:
I'm not sure when they replaced the signals at this intersection, but the FYA at this intersection isn't wired correctly. The left turn with the FYA is across railroad tracks. It isn't wired to the oncoming greens like it is supposed to be. The opposing direction has a protected only left turn.

Everett: Saw my first right turn FYA in Massachusetts at the Encore Resort on Route 99... I believe the right turn is across a bike lane and pedestrian crossing. These signals were installed sometime in 2019 right when the Encore Resort was slated to open. Are there other locations in Massachusetts where right turn FYA's have been installed?

1995hoo

We were pleasantly surprised yesterday to find that VDOT has reconfigured some intersections that previously didn't have permissive greens to allow for permissive turns with flashing yellow arrows. The most notable to me was on US-211 at VA-229 near South Wales Golf Course. See Street View link below. You can see why they didn't have a permissive green before. The intersection has now been adjusted so the left-turn lane in each direction splits further off the thru lanes on a diagonal that's closer to the opposing lanes, and there's then a flashing yellow arrow. Nice improvement. I hope this becomes more common, recognizing of course that is also a lower-volume intersection than you see in the more heavily urban and suburban areas.

https://goo.gl/maps/bDQbGqhcn2rcY4Me7

fwydriver405

Forgot to post this when I came back from Rhode Island last Friday, but here's a horizontally mounted FYA off of I-295's Exit 10 in Johnston RI.

The red/yellow thru arrows along with the FYA instructional sign is what also caught my eye as well... all arrow setup per se?

jakeroot

Quote from: fwydriver405 on July 26, 2020, 04:09:39 PM
Lowell: I'm not sure when they replaced the signals at this intersection, but the FYA at this intersection isn't wired correctly. The left turn with the FYA is across railroad tracks. It isn't wired to the oncoming greens like it is supposed to be. The opposing direction has a protected only left turn.

Could you be specific about the issue? Yes, it should be tied to the oncoming green, but I'm curious what kind of issues are arising as a result.

fwydriver405

Quote from: jakeroot on July 26, 2020, 11:29:58 PM
Lowell: I'm not sure when they replaced the signals at this intersection, but the FYA at this intersection isn't wired correctly. The left turn with the FYA is across railroad tracks. It isn't wired to the oncoming greens like it is supposed to be. The opposing direction has a protected only left turn.

Could you be specific about the issue? Yes, it should be tied to the oncoming green, but I'm curious what kind of issues are arising as a result.

The FYA on SB Dutton does not flash whenever the oncoming green is lit. This could cause yellow trap if:

- the left turn phase from NB Dutton to WB Broadway provides a green arrow if there are no cars waiting on Broadway (phase skip).
- Not sure how the railroad preemption works at this intersection, but if a train is coming and trips the signal, the FYA on SB Dutton could be wrongfully terminated while NB Dutton still has a green if there is no all-red clear.

This is the first time I have ever passed thru this intersection heading southbound, as I usually go thru on Dutton in the northbound direction, so I'm not sure when the FYA signals were installed. It seems like it was installed in 2019 based on previous GSV history.

webny99

Quote from: SignBridge on July 02, 2020, 05:39:09 PM
I agree that the public will understand green arrow better than protected left. Remember the average driver is not a traffic engineer.

+1

I only learned about protected/permissive terminology from this forum, and would never use those terms in everyday conversation.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on July 27, 2020, 10:23:11 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on July 02, 2020, 05:39:09 PM

+1

I only learned about protected/permissive terminology from this forum, and would never use those terms in everyday conversation.

Some of my neighbors were confused by the new flashing yellow arrows going up in our area. The way I explained it was, "The gist of it is that if you see a flashing yellow arrow, it means traffic coming the other way has a green light and will not stop." Of course I gave some more detail than that, but I thought this was probably the clearest way to summarize it to people who generally roll their eyes at transportation-related issues.

Amtrakprod

Went to Lowell and Boston yesterday and saw some 3-section FYA's around the area:

Lowell:
I'm not sure when they replaced the signals at this intersection, but the FYA at this intersection isn't wired correctly. The left turn with the FYA is across railroad tracks. It isn't wired to the oncoming greens like it is supposed to be. The opposing direction has a protected only left turn.

Everett: Saw my first right turn FYA in Massachusetts at the Encore Resort on Route 99... I believe the right turn is across a bike lane and pedestrian crossing. These signals were installed sometime in 2019 right when the Encore Resort was slated to open. Are there other locations in Massachusetts where right turn FYA's have been installed?

3 section FYAs:

MassDOT has decided that whenever there is a left turn lane, even with no need for a protected left a FYA will be put in. Hence, why there are 3 sections FYAs. I'm in total support of this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4038966,-71.0359097,3a,29.3y,199.56h,93.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQBdOkAZ7qiHXUoBkEF7xGA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4603345,-70.9455586,3a,19.9y,169.35h,94.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCzKwHzL0L-1dMN_p5a9fbw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5690703,-71.7971628,3a,24.1y,153.69h,93.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXGvIu8Uy7LzZ4_9i431hFQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5258426,-70.9273674,3a,17.6y,44.82h,94.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG8w0g9Y51qSJ6ZA53DV9gw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Now right turn FYAs have also been installed. I don't know of a ton of them but here are some I know:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5258691,-70.9270963,3a,15.7y,320.12h,94.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-goBpBoZqmWVuSHaJ5qm0A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3672461,-71.0776265,3a,29.3y,272.91h,93.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4rtuy3as0MTxDhFzBF0d1w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

STLmapboy

Quote from: fwydriver405 on July 26, 2020, 09:58:38 PM
Forgot to post this when I came back from Rhode Island last Friday, but here's a horizontally mounted FYA off of I-295's Exit 10 in Johnston RI.

The red/yellow thru arrows along with the FYA instructional sign is what also caught my eye as well... all arrow setup per se?

Looks like RI is (slowly) moving up in the world!
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Found the first FYAs I've seen in SoCal off Irvine Center Dr in Irvine. Looks like the signals (here and here were put up in 2018 sometime and are isolated occurrences. Only other FYAs I've seen in Socal were in Thousand Oaks.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 30, 2020, 11:56:10 AM
Quote from: fwydriver405 on July 26, 2020, 09:58:38 PM

Looks like RI is (slowly) moving up in the world!

They've been used in other spots too. The last state without a FYA is CT. No one is surprised, right?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8289212,-71.426664,3a,32.8y,159.97h,93.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4rnw8jhSkwA-VOXPIJw9oQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

mrsman

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 30, 2020, 12:00:10 PM
Found the first FYAs I've seen in SoCal off Irvine Center Dr in Irvine. Looks like the signals (here and here were put up in 2018 sometime and are isolated occurrences. Only other FYAs I've seen in Socal were in Thousand Oaks.

There are plenty of others around in SoCal, you just have to know where to look.

Here's one in Pasadena, prominent because its at the end of the Arroyo Seco.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1275036,-118.1472283,3a,75y,295.32h,97.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1su6tNPIKDrm8RWb1lqey_QA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.